January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Alan, Bonita Springs, FL

"You know, I think you Democrats hadd better look at the candidates very carefully and sort out what people have done in their SMALLER jobs as Senators before you're ready to elevate them to being President."

You mean like the Republicans did when they looked into Bush's past job record with the Savings and Loan, and the sports team and such?

Great advice. I have to say I would take anyone with any level of experience or lack thereof over the proven bungling idiot we have in office now.

January 7, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. Angela

I have been following the election coverage closely and reading the comments in several different threads and quite frankly I despair at some of the comments. Hillary Clinton was genuinely choked up when she talked about how much she loved her country and how she was frightened for the way it was headed. She can't do anything right if she is chokes up she is weak, if she show no emotion she is called. Throughout this campaign so far Hillary Clinton has been held to a totally different standard, she is being unnecessarily vilified by people when all she wants is to help her country and change the direction it is heading in. All of the candidates should be held to the same standards, people should look at the records of all the candidates and what they have acheived. Yes words like change and hope are powerful but without a plan to back them up they are just words. Barack Obama doesn't have the experience to be president he makes great speeches but he has done little with the opportunities he has been given as a US Senator. Also I am appalled at his lack of respect .In his speeches he refers to Senator Clinton as Hillary – she refers to him as Senator Obama, she shows her respect for the office that he holds its a pity that he can't do the same. Barack Obama is no JFK or RFK the US needs a leader from day one. I have just watched coverage of Senator Clinton on a campaign stop and she knows what needs to be done. Please before you vote for the image look at the records. Senator Obama would make a great President in the future but not at this time.

January 7, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. wordnerd142

Hillary Clinton is a skilled politician who understands that all of her words and actions have repercussions - so don't feel sorry for her. Her biggest problem is that she doesn't know what mask to wear for this election. She originally thought her tough, experienced hat would be the trump card for this election. When that backfired she showed us all her soft, human side. Her crying is not the issue here, it's her inability to be authentic all the time - not just when it's convenient.

January 7, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. nightmare in New York

I want Mrs. Clinton to clarify herself. What exactly does she mean; she sees what is happening. Does she realize what she said could imply to some people?

Hillary, we, a lot of us don't get to exercise because we're to busy working like slaves to survive. We don't normaly eat right because we can't afford it. We live it everyday Hillary. and you haven't even touch the surface.

You say "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds." You haven't even touched the surface of the odds. Your whole life has been a bed of roses.

January 7, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. JV

I'm sorry, but I cannot vote for a candidate that is going to tear up or become emotional. We are trying to elect a new President Of the United States, for crying out loud! (Pardon the pun.)

The President Of The United States has to be very, very strong, and they have to be able to make decisions in times of severe crisis. I believe someone who cannot control their emotions in public is not strong enough to make those decisions.

January 7, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. Tyler Burniston

Thats all I want is a pathetic,fake, emotionally charged, shady women in office. Thank God this ship is sinking faster then the Titanic.

January 7, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. Harry, NY NY

Reshma, then can you explain to me where "35 years of experience" comes from?

What offices/experience has she had other than the US Senate. I think that is where the "fake" part comes in. Its just unbelievable to list that number then only have US Senator from NY as your only listed publicly elected office.

Is it just me?

January 7, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. Randolph Monroe, Chicago

If she thinks running for president is hard, try being president, if she were to become president, would she cry if the job got too hard, if her approval ratings dropped would it overwhelm her to tears. She's constantly talking about how ready she is for the job, but if just seeking the job is making her cry, she's not ready.

January 7, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. Mike,MD

To Rob,
    I am not bashing HRC,I am simply stating the facts.where are the records? Where is the Legislation she has submitted? Only one that has something to hide refuses to let others see the truth.I heard Bill over the weekend respond to a question regarding her vote to give authorization for Iraq War. Even his response refuses to admit the truth.Having known now, I wouldn't have voted for it is not the answer.Simply put she knew what the resolution said unless she never bothered to read it.You make a mistake admit it.Don't make excuses for which she has and continues to do.
    This is not about be sexest,but about being a true leader for which she falls well short of being. When a real woman steps forward to be our President, I will support them. But i will not support liars or those who refuse to show their complete resume.
    As for those of you who refuse to vote or want change party votes because she doesn't get the nomination, just shows that you aren't about change and should admit your lack of loyalty to your party.No vote equals four more years of what we have now.The Republican Party wants HRC to win the nomination. Anyone else gives them a problem to retain the White House.

January 7, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  10. Mike

As an African-American, there is nothing I would like more than to see an African-American as President. Unfortunately, Barack Obama is not the candidate for the job and I will not be voting for him in the Democratic primary. He does not have what it takes to run this country.

January 7, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  11. Katrina (Memphis, TN)

I like Hillary Clinton. I like Obama more. Like he stated in the debates they all are good servants, but this venom with which people speak of her and Obama is ridiculous. I am voting for Obama because I truly believe he has the best chance to change the political landscape. Sure Hillary and McCain and even Richardson have more experience, but the type of experience they offer is that of a political nature that I think does more harm than good to us as a nation. If I wanted someone who would operate in the current venomous, polarizing, back door dealing Washington landscape I would vote for Hillary. The fact is I want a different form of government and I believe Obama is the best person to potentially change that government. While I believe the Presidency is important I believe I have more control over my daily life than they do. Therefore, I am willing to take a chance on an unproven Obama; because I know what I will get with Hillary and it's not want the future of this country to be.

January 7, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  12. Janie

As a woman who works in what used to be considered a man's profession, I would bite my own tongue off before I would EVER cry at my place of employment.

Hillary, channeling Obama isn't going to help you, bringing your daughter with you won't get you the young vote, crying won't get you the sympathy or woman vote. Showing your softer side by crying about how much you love this country (when they asked about our hair) is just plain stupid.

January 7, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  13. Tim, Cincinnati, OH

She is a negative and divisive figure. Republicans don't like her and, if the Iowa results and the NH polls are any indication, neither do Democrats or Independents. It's time for the Clintons to recede into the 90s where they belong. As Obama says, "It's time to turn the page."

January 7, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  14. Robin

I think all of the candidates are tired. Hillary is just realizing that she is about to lose New Hampshire and she broke down. I do not want to hear poor Hillary, just because she shed a tear. I believe it's all personal for all of them at a different level, just remember that. She is a smart women but Hillary is reaping what she has sewn.

January 7, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  15. Tamika Jackson

More fake tears from the biggest phony ever to run for president. This woman will stop at nothing to reach her goal, whether it's her non-stop lying about her so called experience, having her aides disaprage any candidate she feels is getting too close in the polls to her, or now putting on the fake crocodile tears. Do we really want to go back to the good old days of the Clintons with all the lying and dishonesty, philandering and disgrace they BOTH brought to the White House?

January 7, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  16. forthelifeofme

I hope that the boorish Hillary haters leaving these posts are not Democrats. My question to you is this: what have you ever done voluntarily for our country? Do you even vote? Or do you just hide behind your keyboards with drool running down the side of your mouths?

January 7, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  17. Tom Davie

Here I am again saying the same thing

NOBODY ever makes the case the Obama can run the country and is the BEST candidate to do so.

Not one person.

Perhaps Hillary INST the best person. But if she doesnt win the nomination, the election will surely go to the Republicans.

They know the 'youth vote' never shows up on general election day. Never did . Even so, Guliani and McCain literally make Obama look incompetant due to his inexperience.

Nobody took Obama seriously for a REASON.

While I am at it.

His HUGE victory gave him 16 delegates. Clinton got 15 and the STRONG second place finisher Edwards (with surpressed laughter) got 14.

WOW what a STUNNING VICTORY. One extra 'delegate' out of the 2000 needed.

Nobody ever seems to talk about that . Why?

Cause its about MEDIA HYPE.

Clinton has 169 delagates, over 100 MORE than obama, and yet the MEDIA WANTS TO HYPE HER RIGHT OUT OF THE RACE.

Clinton is actually WINNING.

January 7, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  18. Angela Rodriguez

Already, Hillary Clinto is crying, complaining and getting tired and this is onlyl the begining. This shows that a good, strong candidate will not put on a show of pity so as to gain votes. A candidate must remian strong, and keep calm so as to express what he/she can do for the country. Crying and complaining will just show that when a problem arises no matter how big or small, that candidate is not apt to take the seat as President of the United States.
    Being president is not an easy job and many difficult times will the new president face and the issues that are on the table that need to be urgently solved. If Hillary is crying now and is tired at just the begining of the campaining then she is not apt to be president, imagine what will happen if she wins, and some more problems and issues to be solved arrise on top of the ones already existent, what will she do?, cry and pout so she can be pampered? The challenges are strong and tough and the candidate has to be just that strong, tough and clear in what solutions to the issues will be.
    Pouting about "I did this, I did that, vote for me please !" This is not going to work either.
    So before allowing Clinton to take the lead, think first "Is she prepared?, Can she realy do the job? Will she be weak at the difficult issues that are present and will arise? " I think not. She is like the ex first femal governor of Puerto Rico, paint a pretty picture, say and do things to get "sympathy", win an election and then when in the office, do nothing, spend the peoples money and projects that do not exist, and just prance aroung like a little school girl searching for prizes, recognitions, and pats on the back. A mistake made is a lesson taught. Don't fall for tears and sorrows.
    Strength, a clear mind, possitive ideas and secure valued speaches on resolving the issues actually facing the Nation to be handled and much more make not only a good candidate but a good president.
    She can cry for a finger nail broken, but she can't cry with the main issues on the line to be taken care of ASAP.

January 7, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  19. Bobbi Jo Weber

I would like to think that whoever is elected to lead our country would be capable of a few tears. It would be impossible to interact with the public on a day to day basis and not have something or someone bring tears to one's eyes. I think it shows the sign of a real person who feels passionate about the job, not weakness.

January 7, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  20. Angela

I think it's interesting to read people's responses to this. First of all, there is scarcely evidence of a tear here. It's ridiculous and pathetic that this is what we're focusing on instead of the issues.

I'm haven't been a Hillary supporter, but implying that she is 'weak' because she shows a little emotion here is beneath our dignity as Americans, regardless of where we stand politically.

January 7, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  21. therealist

Just watch the pre-arranged Obama dirt start flying from the Clintonian family..

He did drugs, does that mean he dealed drugs too? Not that there is anything wrong with me asking.., is there Hillary.

January 7, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  22. Indian Observer

How sad that you are not publishing all the comments. People need to know that by sitting behind the secrecy of the internet from the comfort of a living room and bashing up Hillary is easier than working 18-20 hours and being in the public eye for a year. Everyone should be ashamed of attacking her so personally, all you should do is make a judgement about who you will vote for and go VOTE on election day. Till then, just shut up and keep living ur miserable life. If you dont like her, dont vote for her. Stop killing her character. I agree with MaryK just shows your real self. I pity you all who have made stupid crude remarks, shows you have no class. Shame on You.

January 7, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. Paul

I am a supporter Hillary Clinton because she has lots of experience through lawyer, First Lady and Sentator. I think she will be first woman president. I believe that she will be very good president. I don't think so that Obama won't be president but he is not good enough president.

I would be adivse that you vote for Hillary Clinton!!. She is the right person as president. Please supporter to Hillary

January 7, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Rosey et all,

I for one (and I would assume many others) don't necessarily equate Hilary's crying with the fact that she is a woman. I believe that any candidate, female or male, who broke down would simply illustrate that they're unable to deal with the pressures of the presidency. The fact that many Hillary supporters are quick to say that everyone else is sexist makes me believe that their HRC supporters intentions have a flawed way of thinking.

January 7, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  25. clara

Change? Yes I'm ready for a change and ready for a WOMAN to be president!

January 7, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |