January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Michael, Huntington Beach, CA

I guess a lot of you bloggers were not listening carefully during the debate.
    Both Obama and Edwards stated that based on "Actionable Intelligence" they would use a US military strike inside a foreign country without the authorization from that country's government to assasinate Bin-Ladin or attack Al-Queda. I guess based on that statement, either one of them would have no qualms bombing Iran, or with the way GWB invaded Iraq. - OK they thought about it, and admitted later that the foreign government should at least be 'informed'. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING !!!!
    Thank God neither of them are president now, with "Actionable Intelligence" about North Korea, or Iran. We'd all be in the middle of WWIII. Both of them are only a half step away from the George Bush foreign policy ("we'll do what the hell we want where the hell we want if it's in OUR best interest"). Bill Richardson, not much better, thinking that we should (or could?) force Musharref to step aside (leaving what?).

Neither of these 3 have even the slightest bit of sense. They all think the US being the "Big Bully with the Big Stick" is the foreign policy of choice.

Hillary Clinton has the experience to know better than that. She will start the pullout from Iraq NOW; but will leave the HOW to the Pentagon (it's their job to figure the complex logistics out). She knows that dialog and political negotiation is the path to good foreign relations; not "strike now, clean up the mess for the next 10 years" like we've had with GWB.

Hillary Clinton knows that to get things DONE in Washington, politics must be considered, compromises made. Obama and Edwards can talk all they want about their 'absolutes' (like NO lobbiests).. but the REALITY CHECK is that as President, they cannot make these changes unilaterally... it takes teamwork and consensus, and compromise. Evan Obama has to admit, that he couldn't get rid of lobbiest lunchs.. only that they can't be "sit down lunches" (LOL – cocktail parties are OK!!)
    We are not stupid.. don't fall for the stump speechs. We all really know that all change is 'incremental' and that moving toward the RIGHT changes is what's important.
    Hillary can get things DONE in Washington... THAT'S important!!!

January 7, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  2. Philip

I just hope that you Obama supporters understand what you are doing, and what the republicans want you to do. I am a STAUNCH Democrat, but if Obama is the choice, I will vote Republican for the first time ever, if for no other reason, to keep him out of office! And this is what the Republicans know and understand. So, if you want a Democratic President in office, you better change your vote for someone other than Obama, whether it be Edwards or Clinton. I know MANY Democrats that have said they will voter Republican if Obama wins the bid, and I will be one of them.

January 7, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  3. John

Why are people writing Hillary off so early?? This is ridiculous!

As opposed to some of the earlier, obviously bitter commentators, Hillary is well-qualified. She and McCain would be great finalists, though I'd rather see Obama.

After the past 7 years of terrible failures and a crappy rubber-stamp Republican congress to boot, almost anybody would be better than the Neo-Nazi President and VP we have now...

January 7, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  4. Dev

You wanted passion...she gave it
    You wanted emotion...she showed it
    You wanted nice hair...she flaunted it.

C'mon guys, isn't it time to give her an oscar? at least for the best supporting actress?

January 7, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  5. Andrew St. Louis, MO

Rosey et all,

I for one (and I would assume many others) don't necessarily equate Hilary's crying with the fact that she is a woman. I believe that any candidate, female or male, who broke down would simply illustrate that they're unable to deal with the pressures of the presidency. The fact that many Hillary supporters are quick to say that everyone else is sexist makes me believe that their HRC supporters intentions have a flawed way of thinking.

January 7, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  6. Jim

I think Hillary was crying because the one thing she values most is at stake......POWER

January 7, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  7. Reed Melton

This is very upsetting. Comments on the deomcratic campaign have continued to be so one-sided. No one has truly analyzed Obama and Edwards but continue to attach Clinton. While, I am a democrat and will be very happy if either Clinton or Obama wins the election, could someone work a little harder at being balanced analysis. I don't want a "rockstar". I'm not electing Oprah. I want a president who can make real change and get things done. Why isn't more time spent on the fact that John Edwards is simply flanting Obama against any significant attachs that would give us more insight. Is he running for Obama's vice president. Where was this passion in his gut was when he was ran for president last time, when we needed him to oust Bush/Cheney? And what change are the talking about? What is there true record of change? Nothing in the Senate. I can write a bill, but if I can't get it passed, so what? I don't see it from either Obama or Edwards. So lobbists and politicians have to stand up for meals now. Is that change? Senator Clinton, use of your first name is disrespectful, please stay in the race, and win this thing!

January 7, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  8. Josh (Miami, FL)

The people claiming "I will vote Republican if Obama is nominee" are SO CLEARLY Republicans posting. We all know you're very scared of running a candidate against Obama; we can see through your very obvious efforts to throw him off track. Nice try though.

January 7, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  9. Jason, Atlanta, GA

I find it interesting that Hillary now just goes by Hillary Clinton instead of Hillary Rodham-Clinton, which she insisted upon being called earlier. She's a Clinton when it's convenient and a woman when she needs to get herself back up in the polls. But mostly, she's just wrong for America, just like she said ... "some are right and some are wrong." At least she's right about one thing.

January 7, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  10. Kendall, San Francisco, Ca

Hillary pulled an Ed Musky. The only difference is that Musky's tears were real. So she is scripted to shed some tears on cue. Clinton's sense of of entitlement to the office of President is insulting. You couldn't have a more insicere candidate ( except Romney ) running for office. At least Obama can connect with people which is why he won Iowa in the first place.

January 7, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  11. NEWS ALERT NEWS ALERT

New Alert
    Will somebody PLEASE tell Senator Clinton, the Country has been out of control for sometime now. Where has she been for last 35 years? It's time to come out of la la land Hillary.

January 7, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  12. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

America will vote and America will get the candidates they want now, one will become our president and he/she will do what they think is right. in the end we get to determine if it was the the right choice or the wrond choice... twice we have selected a president that appears to not have the interest of all Americans at heart, will we do it again? perhaps. our silly prejudisms will get in our way like they always do and we will vote with our hearts perhaps more than our minds.

Sen. Clinton is a patriot and a citizen and even if she is not the nominee she deserves our respect, I doubt most of Americans have the courage she has to serve her country. Let's celebrate that how about it! and Sen. Obama, careful what you wish for. the Expectations only get bigger and bigger from here on out.

January 7, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  13. Paula

I am not moved by the tears of Hilary Clinton. I believe she was moved to tears because she is tired, is frustrated because she has not done so well in the two early caucuses; and most of all her EGO has been deflated a lot. I find it hard to believe that she was truly moved to tears because she truly cares about this country. At this point all she is caring about is winning. She claimrs this country has given her so much. This country has given all Americans so much. What are you trying to say HILARY? That if Obama wins he would be too stupid to run the country. This country can't fall backwards than it already has under current leadership and I believe that includes Hilary.

January 7, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  14. MAP

American People:

What is wrong with you, Obama for President, get real. Are we going to let a smooth talker and looks lead us down the wrong path. Plus he does not have 1/4 of the experience that Hillary has. Lets get back behind Hillary, she is surely the right candidate for President. I think we, as a people are being set up. Obama get the nomination and all of a sudden you guys that think you are GOING TO support him now will come to a screeching halt and we will have four more years of the Republicans. IF THAT HAPPENS, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR NO COMPLAINTS FROM NONE OF YOU!!!

Do me a favorite do PROS AND CONS for the both of them and take into consideration their experience in leading this country, PEOPLE GET REAL!!!

January 7, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  15. Jennifer

As a Hillary supporter, I also do agree Obama is a better speaker, personality wise. But I don't want someone who can do the talking. GREAT! Be a PR consultant. They are both articulate, he however has the same charming carisma that we voted her husband into office on (twice).

I personally want someone in office who is black and white, cut-throat and can make a hard core decision without being carismatic. We don't need carisma. We don't need charm. If your honest with yourselves think back to all of the Presidents we've had that were "charming" and what their records were, Kennedy and Clinton included.

See I feel the problem is we need a woman in office. Someone who can be a hard @$$ and just say no or yes and keep her poker face on rather than someone who is so charming that you won't be able to take him and his change seriously. Too many men want to go on charm and think that will glaze over their records or facts to get positions, etc.

I do not intend this for all men, so if this doesn't fit you please don't be offended. I'm getting a sweet tooth off all this charm Obama has. And really look at the polls....

His speeches have been the same and he's been so "solid" on his views and he's never lead the polls...What's the difference now you may ask????

OPRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've have taken notice that after she went on the trail with him, all of a sudden like MAGIC his numbers started turning. Imagine that!!! So Hillary has to go at it alone on her history and record while Obama gets to pull out the OPRAH stick and WHAM now he has all this support!!! Gimme a break people...We're not voting Obama into office we're voting OPRAH into office, lol.

His bumper stickers should read Obama/Winfrey 08!

So I guess she can get people to do whatever she says, it's not just what bad to buy or what book to read...Amazing. Simply amazing.

And I guess Edwards knew he didn't stand a chance which is why he's leaning towards "flip-flopping" to Obama. I guess it's anyway you can get in! Get it where you fit in Edwards, LOL! HILARIOUS!!!

January 7, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  16. Barbara

Pleeeeaaase, She doesn't have a real emotion in her! If this is her way of appearing warmer, it gave me chills.

January 7, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  17. GA

As for people commenting on the fact that Clinton has some out-of-towners at some of her events, l am reminded of the fact that Obama bussed in numerous students from neighboring states for Iowa events and for the caucuses (some of them probably not even Iowa residence). Several articles have commented on Clinton's events but very few highlighted what Obama was doing in Iowa. Where's the fairness in that?? The fact is that all of these public servants have a strong love for their country and running a presidential election is incredibly draining. What bothers me is the insanely negative bias toward Clinton in the media and in these posts. It's sexist and is unfortunately having a huge impact on the direction this election is taking. Much of Obama's momentum is due to the media highlighting everything he does right and choosing not to report all the questionable aspects of the way in which he has run his campaign, the inconsistencies of his voting record, and his paper-thin resume. I respect Obama like I respect all of the democratic candidates, but I really fear that his lack of experience is going to cause him to be eaten alive in the general election, especially if the GOP candidate is John McCain.

January 7, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  18. slinky d

It is a darn shame Oprah has allready endorsed Obama. I could see Hillary tearing up again

January 7, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  19. Don Ross

Great. Just what the most powerfull nation in this troubled world needs. A U.S. presidential candidate that breaks down and whines and cries. Lord help us.

January 7, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  20. Anthony

McCain had more experience than Bush in 2000, what happened then?

Guiliani does not have more experience than any of the candidates, being mayor of a city? Spare me.

Again leave the experience card out, these people do have advisors, all of them have experience advisors, they will not make decisions all on their own.

January 7, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  21. Millie Katzen

Shame on the media......if a woman tears up it's "emotional".......a man can tear up and it's not even worth noting!! The media is ruining this campaign.....too many polls, too much wall to wall cover of non issues.......When will America grow up and really study and read about the candidates and study the issues. Stay off the fluff!!!

January 7, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  22. trent porter, tx

hillary clinton = george bush
    hillary clinton = big government
    hillary clinton = elitist

the LAST thing we need is hillary clinton to further kill the middle class and ride her millions upon milllions of dollars donated from big pharma and big oil. hillary is just as bad as george bush, don't be fooled people.

January 7, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  23. The Truth, Anywhere, USA

Hey Zoeysmom,

Its nice that you are black. Great. How care if your black or whatever. Just cause your voting for clinton you think that being black means something? I am black and I think Mccain is the most experienced of them all and not to forget about Rich and Biden. But, regardless, I see greatness in Obama where I don't see it in HRC. Stop touting that your black. It makes you look bad. Just like HRC and all the other feminsts touting oh, "I am a woman. This world needs a woman." If Barak were white with the same credentilas, I would vote for him just the same so stop with this race crap. Ok your black and vote for HRC. Some would say you are a sell out but in this day and age, who cares. Obama has just as many blacks voting for him as he does whites and others. You people out in California have always been strange to me. Sort of backwards. I think you guys out there hate being black. My opinion though.

January 7, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  24. BERNARD, SCOTCH PLAINS NJ

I feel for Hillary, but the problem is that she feels this is somehow owed to her, and that is where she messed up.

No matter how you slice it, you gotta give Obama credit for running a top notch campaign.

"Hillary it may be your turn, but not your time."

January 7, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  25. Woz Los Gatos, CA

I find her emotion to be quite attractive.

January 7, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |