January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. J, Texas

Adam, you are completely correct.

As others have said, Hillary can be calculating at times; so can anyone really believe that knowing the criticism she would get from showing emotion, that she would take this chance?

Can we just take this as a person is passionate about the job she wants to do as President and that what happened today was completely unscripted?

I wish I was in an earlier state so I could help Hillary win the nomination!

January 7, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  2. Jether J.

I was honestley happy when I found Hillary was running as a Presidential candidate. Then I saw her denate on Saturday on ABC and I was terrified at the way she conducted herself. No doubt, she is very knowledgeble and articulate but she can be so cold at that at times it makes me believe that at a time at like this. She should remain positive and stick with the issues at hand.

I believe America needs someone who will give us hope that the economy will survive this mortage crisis, work together with all members of Congress so that our troops will gradually come home, and someone who can re-build our image to the eyes of the international community. Because no matter how much we'd like to believe America can stand alone, we do need to care about what the rest of the world thinks about us.

BTW, I'm voting for Barack Obama...Obama 'O8!

January 7, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  3. Gobama, NY, NY

HILARY IS CRYING?
    Alligator tears?

Or

Obama is doing to Hilary what Bill cannot do: INSTILL SOME EMOTION INTO THAT COLD WOMAN!
    LOL

January 7, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  4. DecFario, New york NY

Adam –

You can't seriously believe she's being genuine here. C'mon how many of us break down when we get asked about our hair. I don't care how rigorous campaigning is, this is certainly a phony moment on her part.

January 7, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. Roland, Clifton - NJ

I am so sick of the Hillary bashers. Whatever this individual does she is criticized for. I say look at her long record. She has been fighting for the down-trodden since the 70s. She is bright, articulate and has thought through solutions for our enormous problems. To call for change is easy; to bring about real change is tough. Hillary is America's best chance to restore balanced hope for all Americans. If she doesn't make it, America loses. She will be fine, but we won't.

January 7, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. parforthecourse

I am not even a Hillary supporter, and i am angry. I am an Obama supporter, an african american woman, who is about to vote for Hillary because it is obvious the media is trying to bury her.

January 7, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  7. ebp

All of a sudden, now that she's behind, her new catch words are "change" and "personal". I'm embarrassed for her that she's now channeling Obama and thinking that the American people aren't smart enough to notice. It's pathetic. Also, Bill was noted for his ability to "cry on cue". I guess he taught her that trick too. The question that got her all emotional was probably another one of those "planted questions" she's known for. Heaven forbid a foreign head of state should ask about her hair.

January 7, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  8. lynn R.

Okay-with all due respect wasn't it Edwards saturday night who said
    something to the effect that the run for Pres was deeply personal to him.
    It was a good moment for him saturday.
    I really hope you are sincere too.
    It just sounds like "me too"
    RL
    Ohio

January 7, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  9. Mike

You guys are such haters. She is not the enemy! She's someone who has a respectable record and done a lot more than Obama and Edwards put together. Maybe this isn't her time, but she still deserves respect.
    And by the way, isn't interesting that the only thing a candidate with NO resume can run on is change. What else would an Edwards or Obama run on, they have no record. Examine the facts before you jump on the bandowagon-

January 7, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  10. Ray

Obama supporters can be HATEFULL!!!

Your not voting for the next American Idol, Wake up!!!

Hillary is the only person who can fix the problems of the last 7 soon to be 8 years!!! Obama is all talk!!!

Hillary 08!

January 7, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  11. diane

hello, still waiting for my first comment to be posted; oh yeah, you must be a republican, cnn- just like fox tv- FEEDOM OF SPEECH- POST MY ORIGINAL COMMENT, KEEP YOUR WORD. STOP STABBING ME IN THE BACK !!!

January 7, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  12. Dan, NJ

I am by no means a Hillary fan (and am commenting soley on reports I've read) but I believe thisshow of emotion my be the most genuine Hillary we have seen. She "sees what's happening", namely, she is losing because people don't like her. She undoubtedly went into this with the feeling that she would win easily. I don't care how strong you are (and she is), it has to get to you to have millions of people lining up against you because they do not like you.

She brought it on herself but I do pity her.

January 7, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  13. Jim

Once again, John Edwards is proving unfit to lead our country-Clinton's experience is used against her by a man who will be a replica of Jimmy Carter in the late 1970s: unable to pass legistlation and despised as an outsider.
    Painful though it is to some ideologues, chang e comes in increments in our political system, and the Framers designed our government that way. Hillary understands this, John Edwards obviously doesn't, and Barack Obama's talk of 'sweeping bipartisan change' is simply loony.
    As for Edwards trying to take advantage of Sen Clinton's display of emotion, this just shows what a sinister, shallow-minded opportunist he really is...

January 7, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  14. Lu

If anything I see Obama as a fake person.. he speaks beautifully.. If you think about it he's only been a senator for 1 year.. Rookie year doesn’t count your Barely involved .. I'll give him his 2nd year As for his 3rd year his been on the road running for President… so what the hell are these people voting for?

January 7, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  15. Diane, Whitestone, New York

We now know Iowa and Wyoming belongs to Obama, so say he goes on to win New Hampshire, and South Carolina, Hillary could very well still win the nomination. Don’t forget a nominee needs 270 of the 530 electoral votes to be elected president. And with 166 electoral votes she is promised, she needs 104 more to go before the presidency is hers, whereas, Obama needs 204 more electoral votes to cinch the presidency.

January 7, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  16. Mario

Oh my gosh!!!! here we go again, old Clinton getting emotional over what? please get rid ofthis cow!!!! finish this month off with her not going any farther! This sorry excuse of a he/she has gotto go! she cry's, then yells, then talks softly, then screams like a rapper. Same old tune same old lady with no new ideas, 35 years of what? she is bad abd depressing for this country, GRET RID OF THIS LYING DOG!!

She is trying to be AL Gorest and win an award for the lousest actor, she wins, get rid of he.

GO Mitt!

January 7, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  17. trent porter, tx

Dear Indepdents: PLEASE DONT LET US DOWN, RON PAUL IS THE ONLY WAY!

January 7, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  18. cheaplaborcapialistnot

Here is the deal. Hillary would make a effective president.
    Obama has the potential to be a great president.
    Being the front runner he is going to have to stand up against the republclone attack machine AND beat the democratic establishment. Than he has to deliver.

Enthusiasm is great, but will it last?
    Are you willing to take a chance on an unproven leader?

think before you vote....but VOTE!

January 7, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. Ron M.

Hillary still has my vote and I for one will not be swayed by negative right-wing postings on this blog!

January 7, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  20. trent porter, tx

Dear Independents: PLEASE DONT LET US DOWN, RON PAUL IS THE ONLY WAY!

January 7, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  21. AJ

I don't know about the rest of you, but breaking down on the stump is not the sort of Presidential behavior I want demonstrated before I cast my vote. And when contrasted with the manic behavior I saw on the ABC news debate, Yelling at Edwards, then sitting back and gushing at the bone Obama threw her with the small compliment, it was bizarre.

I was originally for Hillary, a year ago, but there have been so many faces she has shown, and not all good, that this latest break-down comes off contrived and staged.

It also says something when Bill sells Hillary to the voters way better than she can sell herself. Take away the last name, and her gender, and compare that to Obama. It's obvious what the choice is.

At this point, the balance I want to see is an Obama-Edwards ticket.

January 7, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  22. LKD

Give me a break-a politician showed a human side and she is condemed.If Hilary survived the humilitation she must have gone thru during her husband's Presidency and now has the guts to come out punching and run for the same office well then you go girl!!Maybe if more politicians showed their human side a little our country would not be in the condition that it is in now.

January 7, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  23. RK, San Francisco, CA

I dunno, from the woman who's campaign advisors tell her to display emotion crying over her hair seems like a very overdone fake. I could be wrong, and I'd vote for her, but I still think that this was a poorly done fake.

Q: How do you do your hair?

A: It's so difficult *sniff sniff*

I mean, that sounds a little fake. She didn't need that...

January 7, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  24. kash

After looking at the coments, I could not stop writing this. Why should we be so synical, why shouldn't we give benefit of doubt to hillary. I saw the video and if anyone could fake that it should be an oscar winning acting, which I doubt she is capable. So please let's be reasonable

January 7, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  25. parforthecourse

Bush cries – he gets a pass

Bush inappropriately winks and nods - he gets a pass

Edwards repeatedly raises his voice in the debates – he gets a pass

Hillary raises her voice – its called "The Moment"

Hillary displays emotion and cries – she is falling apart.

WOMEN OF HIS COUNTY SOMETHING IS AMISS HERE!!!

I do not know who the nominee should be...but looks like sexism to me...pure and simple. American is simply not ready to "listen" to a woman.

I honestly believe that some in the media will not be happy unless she faints!

January 7, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |