January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. OutSider

Its incredible to see a women so knowledgeable,smart and strong. Its very tough situation for anybody . When people just dont like you for just being you. Any one would break for loosing dream job after coming so close ,you have put all your effort , you haven't done single mistake and you strongly beleive you deserve this more than others . Just remember your past it must have happened to everybody atleast once in life.Obama as president is good for country but I still believe is the most eligible candidate.

January 7, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. CK

I do NOT support Clinton. However, as a feminist I take issue with those who play the 'emotional' card against a woman. I do not question that she is a staunch American patriot. However, I do not believe that that is good reason to give her my vote. She claims to be an agent for change and that she stands on her record of accomplishments throughout her political career. Given that, let's not forget that she, and then President Bill Clinton, ballyhooed that she was going to overhaul the US healthcare system back in 1993. She did not follow through but her remarks created havoc for many. Then she seemingly disappeared from public view in the aftermath of that. Now whenever she mentions 'healthcare' in whatever context, I cringe.

January 7, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. meg

Cut her a little slack!

January 7, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  4. NEWS ALERT NEWS ALERT

Crying in that type of surrounding shows weakness and lack of self control

January 7, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. Gil - California

I have never liked either Clinton and never voted for Bill and will never vote for Clinton. Having said that, it does not make me a sexist to think that Hillary would be the worst person for the job of President. It makes me someone who does not like/respect/care for Hillary period. If I had these feelings because Hillary was woman, THEN I would be sexist. Having these feelings because she is a CLINTON, does not.

BTW, Adam, you could stand to look up hypocrite in a dictionary
    1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
    2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Sounds a lot more like Hillary than anyone posting here (whether for or against the former first lady)

January 7, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  6. Double-standard

I don't hear people calling Romney weak when he teared up at a question about the Mormons allowing blacks into their priesthood. Where's the calls for him being weak? You are all so full of double-standards simply because of who she is! Oh no! She's a Clinton! Never another Clinton! Eight years of peace and prosperity...those Clintons must go! Give us Bush/Cheny or a flip flopper or an opportunist mayor with no experience or a religious fanatic! OMG! She failed at Universal Healthcare! You people make me sick!

January 7, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. sickinny

I've said it before,and I'll say it again: If Hillary is elected as our next President,I am moving to Canada for good. And my family will follow.

January 7, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  8. Jim, Chicago

Bye bye Hill-Billy. No 3rd term for you.

January 7, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. Jen

ALLIGATOR TEARS.

Hillary's campaign advisors told Hillary that she needs to focus on change– so she mimics Obama like a parrot repeating "change". Hillary advisors told her to show the human side of her, so down comes those alligator tears.

What is your next stunt, Hillary?

January 7, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  10. John Round Rock, Texas

This is hilarious!! She's getting ready for American Idol – she's a shoo-in for the torch singer bit. Hah! I'm really starting to enjoy Obama kicking her tail back between her legs. Bill – get her outa here – she's gonna start breaking things pretty quick.
    Cheers,
    Big John

January 7, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  11. She's the Man for the Job

Hillary Rodham Clinton... is no pushover, she is her own woman, stands on her own merits and the strongest/best candidate to beat the republican party.

Iowa and New Hampshire's do not represent mainstream America

Super Tuesday does! Go President Hillary Rodham Clinton!!!!!

January 7, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  12. Kela

This is precisely why we dont need a female in office – she cant handle it – crying sends the wrong message – people should vote for her because she is qualified not because she cried when the got bullied by the boys

I am a woman btw.

January 7, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. Sam

This goes to show why we should not elect woman for president. If she cannot maintain composure about something this trivial, how can we expect her to maintain emotional stability when it comes time for much tougher decisions.

January 7, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  14. Liam

I have no problem with her eyes welling up. It has been a stressful couple of weeks,, and she is probably exhausted. Who wouldn't be.

Here is where it hurts the Hillary narrative. She has campaigned on the fact that she is the toughest one to take on the Republicans because she has fought the Right wing for years, and bested them. That is her claim. This episode makes it look like she really is not the tough cookie that the Republicans could never have an impact on, if she is already showing signs of distress so early in her own party's candidate selection process.

That is where this is really going to hurt her. It makes her look like that she is not the fierce marathon fighter of Republicans that she has been portraying herself to be. If she is seen as going all wobbly so early in the campaign, then can she go the distance against the fierce onslaught that the Republicans will launch against her

January 7, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  15. Eileen

Wow - the hatred and cynacism here is pretty amazing. I'm deeply saddened by how mean people can be.

January 7, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  16. Philip

Anthony, you are one of the idiots that I was talking about. It's people like you that should have to pass an intelligence test in order to vote. And since when is Obama black? This tells me you know nothing about him or his beliefs! This country is Sooooo doomed because of people like you! Even if Hillary loses the primary tomorrow in New Hampshire, she will come back and Obama Bin Laden will lose. Believe it or not Anthony, voting for a different party to keep the rif raff out of office is what people do, it's what independent voters do every election.

January 7, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  17. carol

this is why Hillary should not be Prez. what would we do if every time we had a crisis or some one questioned her she broke down and cried and said this is personal. It is not personal it is politics and there is no crying in politics.

January 7, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  18. Vegas Girl

Ahhh yes... this is what we have to look forward to in a Hillary Clinton administration... Whenever the going gets tough and te odds are stacked against her, she cries publicly. I'm SURE the Iranians and the North Koreans would get a kick out of that every time she tried a little "emotional diplomacy."

January 7, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  19. pbj, San Ramon, CA

Anyone remember Edmund Muskie? Wasn't that also in New Hampshire?

Hillary's done; talk about crash and burn.

January 7, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  20. Cassie

They all make me sick, but she makes me the sickest.

January 7, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  21. Josh (Miami, FL)

BUSH DID MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF COCAINE!!!!!!!! ARE ANY OF YOU MAKING NOTE OF ANY DRUG-USE BEING SERIOUS RIGHT NOW???? JUST BECAUSE BUSH "CLAIMED" TO HAVE FOUND RELIGION, HE GOT A PASS?? HA! REPUBS ARE THE BIGGEST HYPOCRITES ON THE PLANET.

January 7, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  22. Robert Bell

The Clinton campaign promises us that Hillary will finally answer real, non-scripted questions from real people and....

..we get to hear about her HAIR?

Sorry, no sale.

January 7, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  23. carol

Obama has a slogan. Hillary has a plan. We don't need a rock star, we need a President!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  24. Eric, Piscataway, NJ

Two words: Pat Schroeder.

January 7, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  25. Joe Anon, Chicago

So what that she cried. It has no baring on her fitness to be president, or whether someone should vote for her. I'm supporting Obama this time around, but I feel for her and hate how this has devolved. Shame on all of you.

January 7, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |