January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. rob10001

Debate 1/05: "That hurts my feelings." Interview 1/07: "This is personal for me /tears/" Prior display of tender emotion in campaign: none. Real Hillary? Yes. Real? No.

January 7, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  2. Sheila

Let's see Hillary can't be strong, She can't be emotional. She can't be confident. Now lets use the same standards on Obama and Edwards. Then lets see what kind of president we get. Let's start using the inteligence standard. Start listening to their real ideas and their understanding of the issues not just Obama and Edwards emotional slogan for change. Listen to their answers at these debates. Obama and Edwards don't answer the questions or they answer with a shallow memorized responses. Then listen to Hillary. There is a big difference. She answers in depth and with real understanding. We all want change but we don't want to repeat the same mistake by choosing someone who can't stand republican smear tactics. She has stood up to their tactics for years.They accused her of all kinds of rediculous things and none of it 's true. Why do you so called democrats believe any of it.

January 7, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  3. Shannon

Hillary is the best person out of all the canidates/Republicans included. Hillary is not only experienced to be a great President, but she has done alot through out her time as First Lady. Having Bill Clinton is a major advantage. I feel Americans will not vote for another Republican for President.

January 7, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  4. Chuck

It's all about the delegate vote Obama newbie's. Look it up. LOL

January 7, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  5. Cassie

Hey there Indian Observer...
    I have long given up the notion that any of these people are worth voting for. They are all completely untrustworthy. Some are just more annoying than others. She (Ol Hill)takes the cake.

January 7, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. Elizabeth

I love to listen to Obama, He gives us hope. However I don't believe he is ready for the Presidency: Talk is just talk. We don't need anymore on-job-training guys in the White House. Our country is in desperate need of fixing. Hilary gets my vote. I believe her to be more competent, knowledgble, and just plain smarter than all of them on either side. She will get the job done..

January 7, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. andy

I still dont see anyone answering this question! why dosent Obama say in public what he will do with illegal immigration? is he afraid ?

January 7, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  8. SPOT

STICK A FORK IN THIS IDIOT,PLEASE!!
    IF I NEVER HEAR THE NAME CLINTON AGAIN I WILL BE A HAPPY MAN!!
    I AM A DIE HARD REPUBLICAN BUT IF I THINK SHE HAS EVEN THE SLIGHTEST CHANCE I WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA.

ANYONE BUT CLINTON!!!

January 7, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  9. Blue in a Red State

Since when did it become a character flaw to show emotion?

Let's not forget that Obama is heavily endorsed by Oprah – the most powerful woman in show business. She cries at the drop of a hat and no one ever has a problem with that. In fact, most people are taking her endorsement of him as though Jesus himself told them to vote for Obama.

Everyone's jumped on his wagon like he's part of her "Favorite Things" list and that's unfortunate.

Is he REALLY the right person for the job? I'm not convinced.

January 7, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

Slinky D, are you really that moronic or do you just have nothing else better to do? so now you know she shared dozens of women with Bill? where you there? as a first lady she went to Beijin and delivered one of the most inspired speeches about the treatment of women around the world and the leadership that is going to be needed to lift women's hopes by providing them with basic human rights? are you that ignorant to not have listen than she has worked as Chairman of one of the nations biggest children's hospital, she has worked with the legislature for over 20 years, she has successfully and effectively run 7 years as Senator from the State of New York, she has the "best" attendance record in the senate compared to ANY other senator running for president and she did vote for the resolution to declare war in Iraq if the president saw it fit and I don't believe she needs to apologize like Edwards did for that vote, that was the intelligence it was the patriotic thing to do to support the president in a very tough situation we now see our president did not do his homework and did not put the right people in place, but the congress acted accordingly at the time. perhaps one day you'll have a daughter and you will tell her that she should not run for president because women just don't deserve it. perhaps you think the kitchen is their place.

January 7, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  11. Joe

Is this the bash Hillary party? I just can't believe someone is so hated. Let's be real. She's a politician. I'm sure she probably faked some of this, but show me one politician that doesn't fake it, and I don't want to hear about someone that no one has heard of outside of your county.

Look, the bottom line is this. We've had an idiot in the white house for the last 8 years. Maybe we need someone who has the ability to negotiate with the enemy instead of "just gittin after 'em" We're America people, let's shoot fot higher than a C-

Hillary may not be the best liked candidate, but she is a very polished politician who I would feel very comfortable running the country, both domestically and internationally.

"LET THE HATING BEGIN"

January 7, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. B Tarr

In regard to Hillary tearing up... SO WHAT, the Girl cried, Big deal. This is not news its drama. I believe the tears were real but you are spending all day covering this tabloid issue. Get back to reporting the news.

January 7, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  13. Abm Habibullah Plano,tx

I like Mrs. Clinton, but I love Obama. My primary choice will be Ron Paul. We need a change, a massive change.

January 7, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  14. Steve, Landing, NJ

Tom Davie–

It is amazing how you completely manage to distort the facts surrounding the Iowa Caucus and the Democratic primary. Clinton is "winning" in the number of delegates? Sure, at this second–how is that even remotely relevant? The vast majority of delegates the candidates have received thus far are unpledged, they don't reflect anything except those individuals' choices. Iowa was the first time Obama and Clinton had gone head to head in a place where the people got to choose a candidate. That's why it was important.

Nobody thinks the number of delegates each candidate receives in Iowa actually matters. But it's a demonstration of the ability of Obama and his campaign to outperform Clinton and hers. When we're looking toward a year-long election, which team and which candidate can produce results is an important part of the equation.

Obama's victory also speaks to his ability to reach for support across the political spectrum. Obama narrowly beat Clinton on the votes of Democrats, but he demolished her with Independents. This is the first time his campaign platform of speaking to all Americans, not just partisans, has shown demonstrable results–new voters, increased voter turnout, and support from across the political spectrum.

And, of course, Obama's ability to beat Clinton in Iowa has solidified in many minds the fact that he isn't just an also-ran. He's capable of being elected, of beating Clinton, and of beating the Republicans in November. You can see this effect, as Clinton's national lead–40% to 23% only days ago–has dropped to a mere 4-point advantage in the latest Rasmussen polls. People who dismissed Obama last week are taking him seriously now.

So you can go ahead and talk about how Obama's behind with about 5% of the delegates allocated, and you can say the Iowa victory was meaningless, and how he may have won by 9%, but only got one more delegate out of it. That may all be true, but it so vastly misses the point that it becomes meaningless. Iowa was important, and even if Clinton end sup winning the election, it will remain important, if only because it was the day that made sure she had to fight for the nomination instead of receiving it.

January 7, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  15. Sylvia

What has happened to the people of our great nation that they can't hold a thought in their head? Has everyone forgotten how we got into the mess that we are in? Do you know how Bush became president? Because you did not know what you were getting, you only knew what they wanted you to. This is the same thing all over again. You don't know Obama, you only know what they want you to see, what they let him show you. You have no idea what or how he will lead. He is a puppet and you are watching a show.

Hillary is a brilliant, dedicated and focused person who has devoted much of her life to public service, as has her husband. She has amazing credentials, experience and the ability to get us out of the mess that we currently find face. Focus on that not on her "being emotional".

Hillary can and will do the job once elected, and those who doubt are those who don't know what she is made of. The courage and focus that she can bring to the toughest job in the world is just what we need now. Please dig deep and realize that our country has one chance to get it right, and that will rest with the next leader of this country. Don't do what you did last time, trust because they asked for it, trust because they have proven it in how they have lived and lead in the past.

She is the one that we need and don't get confused by emotional side, remember that all great leaders have great heart; it is what drives them to greatness.

January 7, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  16. Nicole

To Tamika ~ Are you old enough to remember the Clinton era? The recession started in 2001 during BUSH's administration. The economy was booming while Clinton was president, and the middle class WAS strong. The middle class will becomoe strong again under a DEM.

January 7, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  17. steph

I believe that a candidate for president should be strong and stand firm for what he/she believe. If a future president break down and cry in the middle of an event what does that say to the American people. Senator Clinton is not strong enough.
    She's not what America need right now. We don't need someone who when in the middle of war or crisis she get all teary eyed and emotional. We don't need a weak individual to administer this country. We neeed someone who have strength to stengthen the American people.

January 7, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  18. Angela

I'm offended. I can't believe Hillary is crying! I'm a woman and I am just shocked that she would start crying. What would've happended if the president of Iraq said something mean about her or ignored her....I'm totally embarrassed and offended. I ran track and played various sports in highschool (not that it's the same as running for president) but preparing for a race is grueling and hard. You take a chance when you run..you may not win every race!! SUCK IT UP!! Help Obama/Edward if you loose...BE A TEAM PLAYER. Hillary you can run again in the future...

January 7, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  19. carol

What a bunch of mysogenists? Your mother's should be proud.

January 7, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  20. Bots, Seattle

I guess crying is okay for HRC since she's a woman. We all know women in general can be more emotional. That's okay too. So I don't see anything negative about her getting teary-eyed. Now, if any of the other candidates get the same way when they get bad news, since they're all men, then I'd be more concerned. Not that there's anything wrong with a man showing his emotions, but when they're trying to get elected to the most powerful position in the world, crying in public for the same reason as HRC, wouldn't be a good move.

January 7, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  21. Nancy Wilson

lThe most disappointing thing about this election is the lack of respect that is being shown Mrs. Clinton. Where are the women of America.? Do they not respect the fact that she has been a hard working woman. You can respect her–even if you don't vote for her. I can't understand why the bitterness toward her. Yes she is a very serious person but I truly believe that she loves America and that she loves helping people. I saw women making fun of her because she got a little emotional. Why? Why do you HATE her so much. Why the double standard. ?

January 7, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. Christopher B

There is a huge difference between tears of weakness and the conviction and passion that made her swell with emotion. If everyone were so passionate about his or her career this world would be much better off... well, that and when we get rid of the current administration!!!

January 7, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  23. Unimpressed

Can you say Oscar nomination?

She does nothing spontaneously. Nothing. My take is this is a highly calculated last ditch appeal to women voters.

Judging from the comments above, it looks like more than one person has been fooled.

Oh well. You can't call her stupid.

January 7, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. NEWS ALERT NEWS ALERT

I don't believe that anyone here actually hates Hillary, at least I hope not.
    I for one wants her to know what they have done to this country. We are tired of it.

People who have been sheltered all their lives don't know what it's like to live in the real world as common people. It's ovious that she is getting a taste of it. She needs to know that this is the world they have created and we are going to change it. NO MORE STATUS QUO! ! !

January 7, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  25. Mary

BREAKING NEWS: Hillary's new(est) theme: the campaign of "ACTION"

January 7, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |