January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Tom Dedham, Mass

Parforthecourse, is it possible that people are not voting for Hillary for the simple reason that they like another candidate?

Is it possible that people don't like her for various OTHER reasons besides gender?

When you point out to the "ladies" to stick up for her, why not just say Clinton supporters stick up for her?

Look at history, a man running for President, Edmund Muskie, broke down in NH and he got SKEWERED for it and it had NOTHING to do with being a woman, he appeared weak only because he is a MAN.

Romney got hammered last month for showing emotion REMEMBER?

Try living with that your whole life were you are expected to always be tough, kill all the spiders, fight for your ladies honor etc, etc.

Put it in that context and review most of the postings from MANY on this topic and you will see Republicans, Obama supporters and EDwards supporters who have had ENOUGH of this pandering and deceit put out by the Clinton machine too many times.

Could this actually be legit, MAYBE, but how many times do you have to see these situations even as a Clintonista before you open your eyes and mind to the POSSIBILTY that it could also have been FAKE?

I'd have NO problem with a woman President, just not this one.

January 7, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  2. frank

I'm so sorry that Hillary is tired & tearing up so she can get some sympathy votes. Be advised America if we elect her to the White House this country will be in the toilet. Look at her past. She has been planning for this ever since her husband became president. She wasn,t even a resident of New York State when she decided to run for the senate. So she bought a residence there because that was the only seat she felt she could buy. Why Newyorkers voted for her I don't know. She had nothing to do with that state till then. Now the rummer is is that if she gets in she would nominate her husband ex-president Bill to the supreme court. He certainly will be a good choice with all of his moral character!!!!!!!! Look at who she has associated with. 2 large campaign contributions were received form someone who is under inditment or being investigated for comiting fraud. You say she may not know them but come on. Why would they contribute large sums of money to her campaign if she or Bill were not expected to come back to them with something ??? Electing Hillary Clinton to the white house will cost this country more than we middle class people can afford,and the reputation of the United States will be in worse shape than it has ever been. All the Clintons' are about is themselves!!!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. Steve

And her defintion of "is" is what .. at which moment and for which audience?

January 7, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. Debbie

The fact that there are over 430 responses to one event should speak for itself. I am more concerned that there are so many questions concering Hillary's motives. It's time Hillary puts on her big girl panties and deal with it.

January 7, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. Nobama

Go Hillary!

This just shows she is a human being not an unemotional cowboy ala Bush that wouldn't play with people's lives and not care about body counts. This is someone that wouldn't call innocent dead Iraqis collateral damage.

I'm tired of the sexist people that think a woman is bad or not fit to be a leader because she cares about this country,,,enough to get emotional about our future! This video shows she means well from the heart, something I have yet to see from the other candiates. Edwards would pound his fists and talk about his miner family like he's shouting to us. Hillary is the real deal! I would trust her, compassionate and all, with this country more than any of the same old song and dance men that are currently unfit for a nomination. She is tough and also human.

Go Hillary!

January 7, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. HotSox

Say it ain't so, Joe! I was so sorry to see you go!
    Although I was undecided after Joe Biden dropped out (and he would have made a GREAT president), after reading these posts, I've made up my mind. My vote is going to Hillary.
    Whomever gets the final nomination, I hope will consider Joe Biden for Secretary of State. It is a place where he could do wonderful things for the US!

January 7, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  7. The Truth, Anywhere, USA

Ok, Parforthecourse,

The womans movement was fought a long time ago. You sound like a muslim extremist. You are turning this thing into men versus women. That won't work. Sorry. I know way stronger women then HRC. Why are they not running for president? Its not a gender thing and its not a race thing. Take away all that and she still is not likable. She has no more experience then Obama. You Clinton supporters are the ones with the blind faith. Accepting everything she says for face value. May her prove her 35 years. I wnat to see it on paper. Or, can any one of you supply that information backed up by facts?

January 7, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Barbara Taylor, Johnson City Tn

We want a changed Washington?? Well, look at the candiates we have. Aren't most of them Washington? Don't have much choice, do we? Why is Sen. Obama called "Africian American" when his Mother is white? Oh yes, he is smart and he is a good speaker, but we do need someone with just a little more experience than he has. I have much respect for him but don't think he'll get my vote this time. And you writers who are bashing the Clintons-our country sure wasn't in the BIG mess it's in now when he was our President. So what if he liked (s) the women!! Other countries have no respect for Bush or America anymore. Let's get our troops home and get jobs brought back to America and health care for all Americans. This President has wasted billions of $$$ that could help you and I.

January 7, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  9. carol

What a lack of character that you would blame a woman for the adulterous behavior of her husband. When your father cheated on your mother, did you blame her?

January 7, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  10. Kenny

oh my gosh, lady, go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  11. G. Robinson

This is exactly why she doesn't need to be President and I am FEMALE. We are too emotional. She will be responsible for making major decisions and look at her. She's been cutting Senator Obama to the core and he has already told everyone who he is throguh two bestselling novels. I DO NOT TRUST HILLARY BECAUSE IT WOULD BE LIKE TRUSTING MYSELF IN THE WHITE HOUSE. She could care less about my plight as a 38-year old single mother of a 15 year-old with two Master's degrees who continually gets past over for job opportunities here in good old racists Pittsburgh PA. She could care less that I am a Government worker who gets a measly 2% COLA (if that) each year. She and Bill have their millions and when it's all said and done where will she be? She was somewhere in LA with Magic Johnson and it appeared to me that when she introduced him, it was very impersonal like she barely knew the guy. C'mon Hill, give it up. We see right through your antics and false tactics. Go home and write a book about your experience.

January 7, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  12. dennis

One more obsevation. If O bama is for change .
    Why is is 83 year old Granma still living in a shack in Kenya, and still shuking corn by hand.
    If it does not change for her! Why on gods green earth do you think he will change it for you?

January 7, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  13. Brandon

This article exaggerates, as do many of the commenters. This is a non-story. She didn't cry, and having watched the video she didn't even appear that emotional to me. It was a rather weird tangent to go off on after being asked about her hair, but it's hardly the story of the day.

January 7, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  14. maungckhin

What is wrong with the crying. Everbody did. But if you not human. You're not cry .We need President with the sence of Human.

January 7, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  15. Sam

Oh...so what will we say about the lady next...she's too short, she's too tall...she's ugly, she's beautiful....she's crazy, she's the most sane person ever put on this earth....she should have left her husband, it's her fault that he strayed....she doesn't show enough emotion, she became visibly emotional. Well, darn!!!!

Quite frankly, I admire the lady. No one should have to face judgement the way that she has unless she is standing before the "one." I pray that she continues her bid for President of the United States. And I pray that we will wake up and understand that change doesn't happen without the experience and the wisdom to know what needs to be changed.

January 7, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  16. Larry Buchas, New Britain, CT

This is heart wrenching for her, I'm sure. She was miles ahead just months ago. Now Obama's numbers are flying past her each day. It's nothing we ever seen.

It will take a miracle for her to comeback.

January 7, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  17. davidvoter08

Hillary Clinton has the intelligence, strategies, experience and passion to change this great country to a great DIRECTION!!! She has the power and will achieve what she said! Not only an excellent speaker who promises anything only for cheating voters to support for him. Unfortunately, he never considered whether he can keep his promise or how to realize what’s he said. If a person says he can do anything, we should doubt his honesty.
    Change is good, but can change to a better or worse direction! We should reminder 8 years ago, Bush also said changes. Let’s support Hillary, because we love this country!

January 7, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  18. Jennifer

I will also strongly consider voting McCain or not voting if Obama wins...That is the first time and this is the first election I have ever even considered not voting, but that is just how strongly I feel against Obama.

I wasn't too overly crazy about Kerry but I voted for him anyway to get Bush out, that didn't work and I accepted that. But even in trying to get a Bush out of office I NEVER NEVER considered not voting...This will surely be a monumental vote in more ways than one.

January 7, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  19. Larry

It is truly disheartening to see the disdain and vitriol hurled at Senator Clinton.

I agree will other posters, she is held to a different standard. It is interesting to note that Democrats and independents would rather have a rookie than a veteran run the country.

The sub-prime crisis, the war, education and healthcare reform, foreign relations and diplomacy, free trade, falling dollar, rising oil, inflation, recession, all issues that a rookie would face for the first time besides mastering the complexities of being in the White House. Youthful exhuberance and energy is fine but when the bullets start whizzing by your head you want someone who's had it happen before.

Don't gloss over the terrible state of the country by believing that sytle will be beat out substance.

January 7, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  20. fedup

The woman is exhausted, She's human, not a robot! Geez, just because men have different ways of releasing stress! Really!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  21. Mary Lopez

I think the emotions that Hillary Clinton displayed is not a sign of weakness, as John Edwards is suggesting in his statement to CNN. Humans have emotions which Hillary Clinton is entitled to. When General Norman Swartkopf displayed strong emotions over the deaths of American soldiers in the Gulf War, no one critiized him for crying on national television. As a matter of fact, I remember the response to his outward emotions was that real men are not afraid to cry. It's unfortunate for John Edwards that he has shown his true colors. Anyone who fosters stereotypical attitudes does not belong in the White House. Do we want a sexist in the White House? I don't think so.

January 7, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  22. Bill

Its about time that Socialist showed she couldn't hack it. Last night she stated that she had 35 years of experience. Experience in what Ms Clinton? You were involved in a crooked law firm, had a man killed,, What planet are you representing? This is the big league baby step aside a stop wasting money. Take your war chest and donate it to some poor people who need your so called insurance. If you did so much for Hew Hamp. what did you do for New York. Obama has you beat, So does the top two Rep. We need a Dem that can win not cry on cue. Wah Wah Wah. Oh yes, have you picked up on what type of government we have. Its called a Republic, remember that from high school? Or didn't they say the Pledge in your school?

January 7, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  23. Dave

Again I ask...Can a HRC supporter please tell me what legislation has HRC drafted that became law or that was rejected, or what is her record on voting on each legislation that was drafted under her termm, and her reasoning for voting that way?

I am not stupid and I do not give my vote on anything except facts, not crying, hope speeches or tough talk. Show me with specifics and facts. Please no spin, emotional jargon, anti-women, anti-black, pro-woman, pro-black and/or any rhetoric.

Let's start using our brain. The President of the United States of America should be someone who demonstrates your values... not because they are white, black, male, female, republican or democrat.

January 7, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  24. waibi alex

I think hillary's weeping is genuine but misplaced,
    first she betrayed all women when she forgave a cheating husband who had been cheating before behing the scenes and went even over the limit and cheated on her when in the white house. The reason was i guess or speculate she had one eye on the white house and so much for a strong woman needed the philandering husband's support in future, so she cauld not divorce him. Now she thinks of all the candidates she has made the greatest sacrifice for the white house but my dear hillary leadership comes from God ask Algore. when god denied him the white house like he denied moses the promised land he was preparing him for a greater task. I am sure God has great plans for hillary in the same vein as saving the plant task he has alocated Algore.

Bye the way i beleive Hillary cauld have run Against Bush instead of Algore

January 7, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  25. Frank Furter

Hilary is as phoney as they come.BOO HOOO

January 7, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |