January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Bob - Florida

Chuck January 7, 2008 4:52 pm ET

Yes I am one of Obama's newbies (oldie acutually) BUT if Barack Obama has a decisive popular vote win and the Delegates vote otherwise then I certainly hope that Bloomberg runs as an independent or I will cast my vote for the Republican candidate. Hopefully John McCain.

The Democratic party should take note that if it is perceived that a Delegate deal is in the making that does not follow the will of the registered Democrats AND independent voters that cast their vote in the Democratic Primary then we will not only look like a third world banana republic but we will actual be one!

Go Obama!

I was an American Fighting Man, I am an American Fighting Man, I will always be an American Fighting Man and I support Barack Hussein Obama for President of the United States of America.

January 7, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  2. Brian Wilson

When listening to the Clintons, I feel like they believe it is their destiny or right that they can get whatever they want in politics. I think that Hillary doesn't understand that she may not be the people's choice.

January 7, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. Jenny, Dallas, TX

What was the point of asking the Edwards campaign to comment on Senator Clinton becoming “emotional” at a campaign stop? This is cheap journalism and, frankly, sexist. I hardly think Senator Clinton showing emotion and being human is a weakness to be commented upon by opposition candidates. CNN needs to shape up and report news, rather seeking to enflame prejudice and scandal.

January 7, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  4. Nancy Wilson

Some of these stupid remarks about Hillary show that you have no respect for women . If you don't like her then don't vote for her but don't try to destroy her character. /wait until the Republicans get through with Obama you may not recognize him either.

January 7, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  5. Claudia

She just set women back 10 years...

January 7, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  6. Dan

Another stupid act put on by hillary. I really do not know why she made it so far. After reading and listening to both Obama and especially recently Edwards, there is no reason why anyone would want to vote for this very conservative democrat who is so fake its unbelievable. Anyone who is voting for Hillary should look around especially at both Obama and Edwards and reconsider.

January 7, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  7. Chris, Wisconsin

GO HILLARY, WE LOVE YOU :)

January 7, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  8. The Truth, Anywhere, USA

Oh and by the way, I know plenty of women who see right through the HRC crap. Just an FYI

January 7, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  9. kathy

Tears...smears. That's what I remember from the Muskie incident. Showing a human side immediately makes a person ineligible for the presidency?

How about the snide comments and sophomoric "jokes" the men were making during the debate? Seems to me we all show our fatigue in different ways; but what I do seriously think is that we shouldn't be putting people through this horrendous endurance contest for two years before the actual vote. Why are we doing this? And why do Iowa and New Hampshire get to decide, on their own, who our candidates for the presidency are? Absolutely crazy. When are we going to wake up and make the necessary changes in our election process?

January 7, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  10. Scott

Everybody, I CAN NOT believe what I am see in this blog, I am so SHAME with all of you with your action. You all are so little baby by complained about Hillary had a little emotion. She is human like us. I can't believe that you all called her weak because of emotion. HEY all of you go through same thing when you are under stress or something, I am sure all of you even cried. I also think that all of you are HEARTLESS HEARTLESS!! Oh, how would you all feeling if I called you weak because you cried?? how do you feel that?? You better think before you called her the name or being mean to people and hillary.

She worked so hard because it is her passion to be president of US. We should be applaused her for her hard work and effort in this champaign. This is America and we should show respect and share our opinion without tear us apart or being mean toward your America fellow. I am so embrassed with your action. Please act like your age and show respect to many people okay. Thanks

January 7, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  11. Filippo

I've read almost all of the posts on this topic today about Hilary chocking up. It seemed to me that this would get little attention because it is really a non issue. We all get emotional at times, and why not her.
    What I am surprised about is the venom that is being put outthere on all sides. Why is that one can't point differences among the candidates without making personal attacks?
    As a man, I am embarrassed at some of the comments being made by other male posters, attacking Hilary on gender.
    It would be good for all of us if a woman or minority became president. It would show this country is maturing.

January 7, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  12. teresa

Hillary is a person with feelings just like each and everyone of us. All I can say is at least she is trying to make a difference. We need more brave people like her around. Good luck Hillary. My family wishes you the best.

January 7, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  13. ellierog

Look, I was moved too for a while - almost at tears when I watched it - but then I came to my senses and realized that I couldn't let a woman choking up decide my vote.

We women know how powerful it is when we get all emotional and vulnerable.

Anyone who was suddenly converted by this needs to think long and hard about how reasonable it is to let this decide their vote.

And when you look at her words, she's borrowed Edward's "it's personal" today, just like she's been borrowing Obama's "change" since she lost in Iowa. It's just not original. Don't be fooled. Please.

January 7, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  14. Lynda Douglas

I am astonished that CHANGE is the pivotal issue in the early primaries/caucuses. Change is not new, it's the same old slogan used by almost every candidate for any political position which involves a change of political party. I first heard it in relation to Sonny Bono's bid for the Senate many years ago. I've heard it many, many times since in all kinds of elections. Change is not new.

Also, haven't we learned our lesson about picking the most "likeable" candidate? Didn't that get George W. Bush elected??? We don't need an inexperienced President even if he is the most likeable. Would you want an inexperienced but likeable CEO for a company you owned lots of stock in? Would you want a likeable but inexperienced surgeon to operate on you or someone you love?

Let's pick the best qualified, most experienced, smartest, and hardest working candidate! That's Hillary Clinton! Hillary has been through the fire and she is tested, she is a survivor!

Lynda Douglas
    Wentzville, Missouri

Hillary is my choice and I hope you will choose her too!

Lynda Douglas

January 7, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  15. Texas

Just think if this was one of the male candiates and they show all this emotion, what would we think? First of all we would be yelling "Get rid of him, it is too tough, he can't take it". So shouldn't the same be for Hilliary.
    During these debates, I have seen her mad, then her charm effect, now the crying. She should go into and try out for acting. She might get the Academy Award.

January 7, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  16. Eric, from THE Republic of Texas

"I ain'ts nowheres near tahred..."

So did a focus group or an opinion poll tell her she needed to cry at this juncture?

The more I see this woman, the more she reminds me of the mayor of Oakey Oaks in the Chicken Little movie.

January 7, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  17. Gerald

Good luck Hillary.

January 7, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  18. Bob - Florida

Jennifer January 7, 2008 4:41 pm ET

To quote a few words from John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious”. Do you actually believe that OPRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is the reason Barack has a large base of supporters?

That's very patronizing to the American Public particularly those of us that support Barack Obama. I've never met Oprah but I have meet Barack!

The process of influencing others to accomplish. the mission by providing purpose, direction, and motivation." AR 600-. 100, Army Leadership, 17 Sep 1993

Go Obama!

January 7, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  19. Cheryl Oxnard Ca

I do not want someone in the Office of Commander and Chief breaking down.We are in the midst of a war. What are we supposed to do when a major decision needs to be made? What wait until she stops crying and for her to go ask Bill. Thanks but no thanks. Soldiers deserve a commander and chief who is able to hold their own.

January 7, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  20. AB

After looking through these posts, I have to agree with "Adam" (New York). Everyone is being a hypocrite in accusing her for showing a softer, more human side for once. I'm almost certain that since the election began, every one of you attacking her on this post for showing a sort of emotion was originally attacking her for never showing emotion at all. This blatant hypocrism is disturbing.

As for anyone who speaks of us Dems looking at records, I agree with you 100%. I would have liked for Biden or Richardson to get the vote, especially Richardson, as his experience is as diverse as it is rich. As gratifying as the idea of a woman or of a candidate of another race winning the election, experience should be the ultimate factor between every candidate; unfortunately, it is not. I'm sure most can agree that this race is one that is between Hillary and Obama. My vote, therefore, is for Hillary, as it is pointless to vote for the candidate in the single digits (also, the idea of voting for a candidate who obviously tries to mimick JFK in his speeches and mannerisms somewhat bothers me (Obama) lol). Hopefully it is the experienced, single-digit candidates who end up in the Cabinet.

January 7, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  21. Teresa

Give Hillary a break at least she is tring to make a diifference.

January 7, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  22. Deanne

Wait a minute – there's no CRYING in politics!

You have GOT to be kidding me! This person wants to lead our country?? Is she going to cry on Bin Laden's shoulder and see if that sets him on the straight and narrow??

I can't decide if this is some ploy to make people think she's more human or if she's that close to a complete emotional breakdown.

January 7, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  23. Brian, Boston, MA

"GO HILLARY, WE LOVE YOU"

====

Who's "WE"? Speak for yourself. Hillary is old news, a symbol of a divided nation....IT IS TIME TO TURN THE PAGE! NO MORE CLINTONS. NO MORE BUSHes .

January 7, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  24. Ron Az

What a bunch of idiot men, you were raised by your mothers and she was a women, all your dad could say was yes dear!! Obama and John need to go back out on the porch with the puppies and let Hillery clean up the mess Bush has gotten us into. I don't like the idea of a man paying $400.00 for a haircut, imagine what he'll do with our money!! And I don't want a man on the job who wants to learn as he goes, Bill Clinton cleaned up this country once, and realistically he will be advising Hillery. Thats alright with me. GO HILLERY!!!
    So, All of you people who voted for Bushy SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, and let Hillery get us back on track. Go drink your latte's!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  25. Tim

Guys, do you think an additional 100,000 democrats turned out in Iowa because they wanted the status quo. No. Everyone talks about experience. Experience means nothing if you can't stop bashing your head against the brick wall that is Congress. Corporate America is only interested in keeping the money rolling in, and the only way to do that is by rocking the boat. Whichever side decides to rock the boat the most will get my vote. So give me HUCKABEE OR OBAMA' 08.

January 7, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |