January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. davidvoter08

Hillary Clinton has the intelligence, strategies, experience and passion to change this great country to a great DIRECTION!!! She has the power and will achieve what she said! Not only an excellent speaker who promises anything only for cheating voters to support for him. Unfortunately, he never considered whether he can keep his promise or how to realize what’s he said. If a person says he can do anything, we should doubt his honesty, such as Obama! Change is good, but can change to a positive or negative direction! We should reminder 8 years ago, Bush also said changes. Let’s support Hillary, because we love this country! We will not allow this country suffer another disaster presidential term!

January 7, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  2. Len

You all missed the point, It isn't whether she cried or not, and it wouldn't matter if it was crying or something else.

This is nothing but thinly veiled spin. She polled as being cold during the debates, so her handlers obviously planned this and planted a very stupid question. Combine this with Bill allegedly getting phone calls from her today "only Hilary has this number" and it all adds up to shallow attempts to change opinion.

It's all planned, calculated and the voters are starting to see through it.

January 7, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  3. Mack, GA

Obama keeps speaking of the Republicans crossing over to the Democrat side to vote for him. Common sense will tell anyone that the reason they are crossing over to vote for him is because they know that they have a better chance of beating him in the General Election. The Rebublicans are scared of Hillary Clinton.

January 7, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  4. Texas

ANSWER TO CRAIG: ABOVE

I am so glad that someone finally brought up the 30+ years that Hillary has given to her Country and supposely for the better.
    I happen to be Hillary's age and have not seen the great changes that she says that she has made.
    First thing off under her Husband's rein, she failed with the health care and her record goes on and on.
    I think if you are a supporter of Hillard's that you really would study her record and perhaps you will come to a better understanding of what we need for our Precious Country.
    We do need Change but one with a new person that does not come with so much baggage.
    Remember she stood by her husband, when he took his finger and lied to all the Americans on TV. We do not need him back in the White House and she says that she will take him with her. Why didn't she stand up for her Country when he lied.
    How many years can one family occupy the White House. I don't think there is a rule for this, but perhaps this should be considered.

January 7, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  5. OMIGOD

OMIGOD – I guess America will vote for Obama.....That's scary. Look at his record. Oh what record! He hasn't showed up for work and when he does he doesn't vote. I can't stand those people in corp America....you all know them. At a meeting to vote on something but won't vote until everyone else does and then just does what is popular.....that's OBAMA. He's a " yes " man. Wake up America if you vote for Obama you will deserve everything that will happen to you. Just like everyone in middle America who voted for Bush.....you are all un-employed now....your jobs went over seas. Your standard of life is NOTHING what is used to be and the dollar is in the toilet.

WAKE up. No matter how much you all dislike Hillary she is the ONLY one who will do anything for the regular American. Go ahead Vote for OBAMA. see what will happen.

January 7, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  6. James P Nolan

Give me a break. She has not been throught any more than the other candidates. If one of the male (democrat or republican) had tried the phony tear drop tactic they would have been crucufied by the media. I can't wait to see act II of the Clinton chronicles. And we thoought her husband was a professional hustler.

January 7, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  7. Kelley

The reality is the emotional side of Hillary Clinton did not exist until she was down in the polls. She had no interest in broadening her appeal or being seen as relatable before that. Clinton was experience, policy and inevitability. Playing an emotional, inspirational game was beneath her. Now she's changed her mind and it's too late. Regardless as to whether they were genuine or not, the tears are going to largely be seen as a sign of weakness or as part of a strategy.

January 7, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  8. joy

I am disturbed and alarmed at the media and public treatment of Hillary Clinton. Although, if the election were held today I would not vote for her, I respect her public service record and her reasons for running for president. She should not be held to a different standard simply because she is a woman.

January 7, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  9. K Eldridge

I believe that the gravity of the revolution is finally setting in for Mrs. Clinton. It’s representative of an era of politics that is dying- the politics of the last century. It’s not about Obama; he’s just a catalyst. It’s really about the failure of the establishment to make a difference in the lives of those they are sworn to protect and defend, foreign and domestic. It’s about people feeling left out; it’s about jobs going overseas; it’s about an education and health system broken- work left undone. It’s time for change. I say this as a former Clinton supporter.

January 7, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  10. Catherine

I honestly don't care whether or not she choked up. It's funny that people are making such a big deal about this. However, I don't think that the media is "ganging up" on Hillary. Personally, I will not vote for her because she polls poorly against Republican candidates. She cannot win the independent vote versus a Republican. Obama can. That's based on more than one poll, kids. Just remember that it's independent voters who decide elections.

For those talking about experience, Obama has more experience as an elected official than Hillary Clinton – he spent several years in the Illinois state legislature. He also got things done in the Illinois legislature. Read up, get the facts straight. What's Hillary's experience? As a first lady with a botched health care reform under her belt, and as a senator with a spotty voting record who won't readily admit that maybe she did make the wrong vote about the Iraq war. At least Edwards admits that he shouldn't have voted how he did. It's a shame that this woman is the darling of the Democratic Party, when she clearly cannot win the independent vote.

January 7, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  11. -D

Has anyone noticed that CNN is really pushing Pro-Hillary. I Mean didn't Barrak win Iowa? I'sn't he leading in New Hamshire by double didgets? Yet CNN places Hillary's picture first. Headlines her first. They score her 168 points over Barrack who is a mere 62. A hundred point lead for someone getting stomped by a first term Seneter who if elected will be the Youngest Presedent ever. What is this? Am I alone in seeing this?

January 7, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  12. Don

If she's genuine, heartfelt, and passionate you say she's weak. If she's honest and to the point, you say she's vicious. The media is out to bury Hillary and for the sake of our country, I hope we are all smart enough to ensure they don't succeed. As for the "change" element. Hillary's major tagline for app. a year has been "America is ready for change. Hillary is ready to lead." Who stole whose verbiage?

January 7, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  13. Common Sense

Hahahaa,

Oh man, I needed a good laugh. How many political tricks has she employed now. Hahaha. The more pathetic pandering that comes out of the Clinton camp, the more it makes me think the Clinton's need to remain in the 1990's. You won no points with me this time Hillary.

Try something else, we are looking for sincerity this time. Don't you get it?

January 7, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  14. mbgoldie

Obama represents INEXPERIENCE not CHANGE. Hillary represents 35 YEARS OF CHANGE!!!!!! We don't want another four years of INEXPERIENCE!!!!

January 7, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  15. andy

Obama Girl soon you will find yourself in other countries in wars that can not be prevented because terroist will not allow that to happen and when it does and you find yourself there or maybe you are Obama thinking that it only takes words to stop crazy people from killing you ? at least Mrs. Clinton is still standing which I dont think you could and i do belive that you just talk or show me some action and go help those young men and women come home faster ! the True heros !

January 7, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  16. Brett, CA

She will not win the general election! Remember, more people voted against Bill Clinton than for him in both elections. It was Ross Perot that tilted the election for Bill. Under 40% of the votes is not a mandate. Hillary will get even less not matter how many dead democrats or illegals vote in this election

January 7, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  17. rebecca

OH MY GOSH!!!!

I did the same thing, teary eyes, and my professor let me retake a test I failed. My girlfriend pulled the teary eye thing off once with an officer and he gave her only a warning for speeding. Hillary, girl, you know how to work it!!!! ;p

Hillary, I know your games, cause I do it, too. LOL

January 7, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  18. Ky

I made the prediction here, in a comment to one of the articles, that Hillary will cry, weep, or even roll on the floor to get votes. I just wasn't expecting her to do any of those before loosing 3 caucuses in a roll.

Thank goodness, the American people are very smart and wouldn't be mislead by crocodile tears. Hillary learned from the best of political con artist. But, again, the American people are smart enough to spot a trick-star from several miles away.

To my surprise, some folks in the media think this is a genuine act of care from Hillary. I was very impressed by Jeff Toobin (CNN) for pointing out in the 'situation room' that American people weren't buying into the deceit of the crocodile tears.
    To my further surprise other members of the discussion forum expressed shock at Jeff's point about what people were saying on the web.

It doesn't take a psycologist to know that Hillary was faking it. I'm just surprised why CNN keeps playing the clip. Is there a hiden agenda somewhere?

Thank goodness for individual wisdom, otherwise some people will point to a monkey and try to persuade us that it's a dog.

– Ky from Somerset, NJ

January 7, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  19. joseph

why did hilliary cry think I know goes back to the debate john edwards in the debate said its personal why he is running got good poll so hilliary says that then in debate she was asked why people like obama she said that hurts bam she gets good reaction so keep it up dont just hurt cry

January 7, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  20. leticia

This is an old acting trick, Put onion on your hand and touch your face you'll tear up too!!! The real reason you should be crying is because your "elect me already" attitude is not working. The people want you to show emotion, not fall apart. Don't say you can roll with the boys if you can't. Americia needs a leader who won't crack under pressure.

January 7, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  21. Bill Dmuchowski

Give me a break!

This woman has absolutely no shame!!! I just just see her in her first meeting with foreign heads of state, "Please don't bomb us, I may break down and cry!!!"

She is pathetic!!! She cries about her hair, yet she is strong enough to lead us! Either this is yet another stunt by a pathological liar, or she is in fact weak!! Either way, she's horrible.

January 7, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  22. Not Buying it

I respect Hilary Clinton, but she still has not grasped the over-reaching desires of the American people, at least as I interpret them. Sincerity is a premium, because we've been hijacked by a wanna be Hitler named bush–who very much ran as a "Christian" candidate, and then spit on all of our Christian values.

We need some new people in Washington, some non war mongers, some non status-quo politicians.

I respect her, but these tricks insult even rudimentary intelligences.

January 7, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  23. beky

Not buying it Hillary. You may have tricked the people of New York into voting for you as their Senator but you'll have to do better than some big ole' alligator tears to fool the entire country to place you as President of the United States!

-A woman voter

January 7, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  24. BVC - SF Bay Area

I am moved by what presidential hopeful, HIllary Clinton, actually said even moreso by how she said it. She has been maligned as robotic, cold, and aloof. I for one thought that about her and after seeing all of the scripted campaign events had grown tired of Hillary – essentially writing her off. Now I see a real person lives under that super polished political veneer and someone who apparently really does care deeply [more than I ever thought] about the country [not necessarily just about putting herself first]. I will now be paying more attention to HIllary. FYI – I'm a male 40yo professional and I've liked McCain, Obama and Richardson [who can't get anyone to pay attention to him].

January 7, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  25. Sandi Shaner

I will vote for Hiliary, anyway. This negative media attention is not going to change that. Besides, does a baseball player throw the whole season because they lost a game? I think not. What will matter is how many out of 50 states votes for Hiliary, in the end. Keep going Hilary!

January 7, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |