January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Joanna

Let's have a little perspective. She wasn't giving the State of the Union. She was answering a soft question and she got emotional. Big deal.

This is hardly the stuff of presidential decisions. What is, however, is choosing the person who will be tough enough to get legislation passed that effects positive change. And she definitely has a better record that her competition on that score. That's a fact. Like her personally or not, she gets the job done. Why must we elect someone who could be our buddy? I just want someone who knows the ropes and can get good legislation through congress.

People are talking of a Clinton dynesty like its a bad thing. Um, 8 years of peace, economic growth and turning an enormous budget deficit inherited from the previous administration into a budget SURPLUS at term end is phenomenal. I'll take more of that everyday and twice on Sunday.

January 7, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  2. Dee

I wouldn't vote for Hilary if you paid me (or any other democrat) but she did seem sincere to me. She is probably mentally and physically exhausted – that does tend to make you easily emotional.

January 7, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  3. Fu, Yong

I like Obama but some of comments against Clinton are very low. It makes me wonder whether someone plays dirty trick to put so nasty comments. It is just not fair. Some of you elected Bush who has not experience in international affair. Look, what is the mess. US from surplus in Clinton era to minors in one year and get worse after Iraqi war. Be serious!

January 7, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  4. Veronica, Bedford, TX

666 posts for Hillary!

Obama '08!

January 7, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  5. teri

I am so sick of these dumb, presumptuous women who thinks just because I do not support Hillary means I hate women. That is so not true. Put any female other than Hilary up there and I will vote for them in a heart beat. I just don't trust Hillary. PERIOD.

So, if I hate George W. (which I do and simply can not stand), does that mean I hate men?????

January 7, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  6. richard

Wow – talk about selective sensitivity! Where were all the complaints of sexism when it was pile-on time for Condi Rice? Oops, she's a Republican, I almost forgot! How about all the Cruella jokes about Catherine Harris? Face it, Hillary is just another media anointed front-runner who can't cut it when it's time to face the voters – anyone remember Howard Dean?

January 7, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  7. Maria

Senator Clinton speaks of others not having enough experience. She is the one who has underestimated the American people. She is the one who has underestimated her opponents. She is the one who did not prepare for the election and now she wants us to believe that she can run the country, when she could not even prepare properly for the primaries. She wants us to believe that she can run the country, when only into the 2nd state primary she becomes emotional, that it is so hard. How does she think running a super power each day and night, a 24/7 job is going to be? How is she going to handle the real "hardness" of this world that we now live in? I think she needs to stop and think about who does not have experience.

January 7, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  8. Sandi Shaner

Okay, now I watched the video. Please, anyone reading this, believe me when I say, that Hilary used a speaker's technique that I used frequently. It is a moment of honesty to make a strong appeal to your audience. I am a public speaker in the mortgage industry. I teach classes about fixing credit and establishing a budget. I get the best response when I use this technique. Usually I do it to make sure I have everyone's attention. And to appeal to what their own vision of their own future is. She is definately using that technique. Smart lady.

January 7, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  9. Anita

Hillary broke down (a little) because she was asked about her hair ... and many you think that is trivial.

How many of the men running for president are constantly asked about their hair? This woman is trying to make this campaign about the issues that she holds dear to her heart, and yet no matter what she says or does her HAIR is the main topic.

She'd have to be inhuman to not let it get to her occassionally. Those of you who hate Hillary have no real reason. What has she ever done that is so distasteful for so many of you? She had the audacity to stay with her husband during a bad time ... how terrible. Oh wait, aren't you "christian's" supposed to think that is a GOOD thing?

I don't know who I will vote for, but you better believe it won't have anything to do with their hair.

January 7, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  10. Bob - Florida

We the people will change Washington!

"Leadership: The process of influencing others> to accomplish the mission by providing purpose, direction, and motivation.">

AR 600-100, Army Leadership, 17 Sep 1993, p. 8, signed by Gen Gordon R. Sullivan, Chief of Staff

"Senior-level leadership is the art of direct and indirect influence and the skill of creating the conditions for sustained organizational success to achieve the desired result. But, above all, it is the art of taking a vision of what must be done, communicating it in a way that the intent is clearly understood, and then being tough enough to ensure its execution.">

FM 22-103, Leadership and Command at Senior Levels, 21 Jun 1987, p. 6, signed by Gen John A. Wickham, Jr., Chief of Staff.

Go Obama '08'>

I was an American Fighting Man, I am an Americna Fighting Man, I will always be an American Fighting Man and I support Barack Hussein Obama for President of the United States of America.

January 7, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  11. Geri Sacramento

To Rufus, Yeah he's black and white but he has found it more profitable to disclaim his white mother and accept his Kenyan father who abandoned the family when Obama was two. And of course there is the matter of his Indonesian Muslim step-father who helped rear him. All in all, he has done pretty well for himself, claiming his blackness. And don't tell me he didn't profit from affirmative action along with his wife who apparently is 100% black. This guy has taken advantage of his "blackness" plenty. So, now he wants to be our first black president. I have no problem with black people at all, just so you know, but I despise phonies. Obama is a phony who will stop at nothing, and do anything and say anything to become the nominee. And when he does, he's goin' down like a house of cards under the Republican Attack Machine! Let's hope the rest of the country shows more commonsense and cherish their votes more than the people of Iowa and those in N. H. who have jumped mindlessly onto the Obama bandwagon.

January 7, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  12. GG, Frisco, Texas

I really felt sorry for her and I like her also but it time for change and the country is now ready to unite. Obama 08!

January 7, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  13. Barber, N.

Are you kidding me? Hillary began her NH stomp talking about youth and change...basically echoing Obama. She is so unoriginal. This is how this thing is going down...there are two sides being tossed around in her campaign: throw Obama under the bus or be more sensitive. She will try this sensitivity thing for a while. When she sees that this won't work, Obama will be dog food. All of this talk about oh he is likeable like Bush was during his campaign, or he can't stand up to Republicans is all nonsense. The Clintons hate to lose; this is not real for her. I am a woman and I am personally disgusted by her. ANYONE is better than Hillary.

January 7, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  14. Ky

RE: BNICE <====
    This is just a brief response to the propaganda by BNICE on the pretense that he/she received some email from whomever.

BNICE, I say it to your face that you're so dumb to think anyone will buy into your story. I believe, if we search your heart very carefully, you're most likely racially motivated. But you're not wise enough to know that Americans are very smart. They are much smarter than to buy into your propaganda and tactics of fear. You should go ahead and dig out more dirts and you'll still not be able to derail the train of change and progress.

God Bless Obama,
    and God Bless the United States of America!!!

January 7, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  15. Bob - Florida

It's OK to show a bit of emotion and I feel for Hillary. I suspect that Margaret Thatcher did that sort of thing all the time.... yea right!

Go Obama '08'>

January 7, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  16. Susan

Hillary talks the talk and walks the walk! Which is more than either Obama or Edwards can do. She has the experience and her leadership qualities are outstanding! Hillary is passionate about leading our country and just because she shows emotion the cynics say she's weak. Whereas, Obama's campaign is one of fad and feeling! He draws the crowds because he makes them feel good (according to the news media)! I don't want a Feel Good President I want an Experienced Leader for President.

January 7, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  17. hollie

Re: Thomas Scully

Thank goodness. A man with some Super sense. Pass that along as much as you can. Hillary needs to win for our sake....

January 7, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  18. Chris

Scam or not it's still bad timing people will see it as weak!
    and thats a good thing.

January 7, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  19. Glenn - SC

Will she cry if the stock market falls?
    Will she cry if attacked by another country or group??
    What if she were at an international conference being asked very scolding questions from the rest of the world, will she cry while giving her answer??
    What kind of message would this send to the rest of the world???

Sure, you can be passionate, but if you choke up to this how in the world can you handle a major crisis without crying????

I think that this weakness (and or strategy) is disasterous to our country and it's people.

Perhaps we should nominate Jerry Springer for president??? (same kind of show, just different people!)

January 7, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  20. Mike

The closest analogy of today's USA that comes to my mind is the Titanic that was built by professionals..

January 7, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  21. Libbey

One word can crush a canidate.
    One word can inflate another.

Change? I see children ages 17 – 24 swarming over a canidate like the latest iPod, Nintendo DS or Wii craze without even understanding how it works. Who cares... It plays, it sings what else do I need. The latest trendy item...has to have it, has to wear it, till the next thing comes along.

It's nice to be young to follow..and I do mean follow. A rebellion if you will without knowing really the canidates views, their take on issues except the word change.

Surely they aren't spending hours and hours reading each canidateswebsite, viewing each debate. Surely they must be studying...

No one owns the trademark to the word, Change..it has been used for hundreds of year.

January 7, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  22. andy

I agree Geri and Im in california and latino and I think the people in the west will vote for the right person! If not the hispanic vote will probably go republican again to mccain :(!

January 7, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  23. Linda

I know a subject that if any of the candidtaes had the guts to stand up for, they would at least be able to differentiate themselves from the others. It is time to put the draft back into effect. While it is true our soldiers signed up to be in the military, they didn't sign up to be slaughtered or worked to death. The politicians for the most part agree that we have to maintain a presence in the middle east. However in order to do that we HAVE to start the military draft or we aren't going to be effective. We are losing experienced military guys because they can't maintain these long deployments and continuing deployments and have a normal life! Wake up candidates, make a difference and talk about something that really would make a difference in this war effort!

January 7, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  24. mark

Interesting that all you "Hillary haters" dont do your homework... maybe you should take time really looking at what she did while she was first lady and as a Senator and her stances on issues today. Instead you choose to read "fluff" articles on the internet and formulate opinions without any backing.

Besides that... I have watched this footage over and over... when the hell does she cry?! She shows emotion yes... but cry? Dont think so.

CNN you are starting to report like FOX news. Get your facts and your headlines straight!

January 7, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  25. Rick in CT

Sorry Adam in New York,
    I have yet to see her show strength and resolve, just a whole lot of acting, lying and evasiveness.
    Now if you will excuse me, i need to go get a tissue!!

January 7, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |