January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. tim

"Lassie, oh Lassie, come here girl...Hillary is in ytrouble...go find the Edge for her...go Lassie, go girl."

January 7, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  2. RB

And you think Obama is any more sincere. How many times do we have to hear the rehearsed schtick about his mother reviewing an insurance forms during her last days. Yes it is sad that she died so young, but to exploit and distort this is phonier-than-thou...

January 7, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  3. manavd

she is good but It is very hard to elect her for President of the United States. Really difficult decisions are requred to take. We don't want Bill to take these decisions for her.

January 7, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  4. Mike

Hillary is getting what she deserves. She should be running in 2004, that was her time. That was a time to step ahead with her experience to overcome the most disastrous presidency of G.W.B. Bill has guts to step against father Bush, so had she, but instead she decided to make her chances to be perfect. Sorry, but you lost your time, dear.

January 7, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  5. manavd

January 7, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  6. no mo clintons

all that's missing is the violin music in the background

January 7, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  7. jte

Hillary cries... but you see not tears.........Alligator tears.........This is the woman that made secret service agents go get her breakfast and the paper.............

January 7, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  8. sean

Hillary is under tremendous pressure. This election is literally THE BATTLE OF HER LIFE. I see why she got emotional. Her brain is doing so much calculating and thinking it's on overload. She is in the ATTACK MODE and has been.

Now, OUT OF THE BLUE, here comes this fuzzy non relevant question. I would have expected Hillary to bust up laughing histarically in order to release so much built up tension. But no, she did the opposite, or did she? I don't think it matters much anymore.

Poor Hillary, If you just could have been, like... a little honest and straightforward and genuinely sincere and caring and compassionate and more about HOPE and less about limiting human potentiality...... Lord, we as a country united would have embrased you with such warmth and love.... words can't describe what could have been.... anyway, it's just what it is.

Now, all that love and hope is being directed at an underdog, and underdog not many gave much hope too. The notion of a potentially brighter future for America, is all about hope. We all hope, we hope our underdog leader who was bold enough to challenge the status quo with such a bold notion will get e'r done!!!

January 7, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  9. David

I just hope that Hillary would get it that she did DONE. She isn't likable with the general public and she isn't the next President. She should just get out of the way for the first President with a mult-cultural background. She and Bill had their time in the White House-it is Obama's time. I hope that this nation can take this historic step to elect Senator Obama.

January 7, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  10. 2hard2decide the best route

I have never cared for Hillary Clinton. She is different from the tearful woman on the video especially when things are going her way. She has her own agenda for sure. I listened to the democratic debates last night and was impressed with Obama's answers and direction. However, records are records and the facts dont lie. Hillary has the experience and she comes with luggage (Bill) that improved the economy in a big way. That could be to the American's advantage. I am neither democratic or republican, I want whoever is the best for my country and family. Am I the only one that feels none of them on either side are presidential material? I am all about the little guy, the middle class American has been ignored, over looked, over taxed for too long. The only one that even mentioned anything about this was Obama. However I cant vote for him just because of that. Hell, Bush made everything seem rosie when he was running for office too and look what a mess this country is in. We need someone that will be respected and admired from all over the globe. I just dont see this happening in this election regardless who we vote for but sadly believe, Hillary is probably the closest we are gonna get......so sad..

January 7, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  11. F Rodgers

I believe Sen. Clinton's tears were not genuine. If you recall the last N.H. Democratic debate where Sen Obama and Sen Edwards talked about health care and they mentioned that this fight was "personal to me" because individuals close to them were affected by not having full health care. Hillary spinned this and made the words "personal to me" something for her campaign. On the campaign trail, this is not Presidential. Will she start crying in heated negotiations with world leaders? This is evident that SHE is not ready on the first day.

January 7, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  12. cassie

Obama is half white and black, I think that it is time for this nation to come together and heal. Besides,all of the politicans will do the same things when they get into office. Might as well pick someone who will unite us.

January 7, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  13. Brian, Syracuse NY

"The pep rally is over"? Is that the best Hillraisers can offer? What's wrong, you don't want Americans to feel good? You want us to live in fear?

Too bad. Obama's gonna make us feel good to be American again, just as Reagan did in 1980 and Kennedy did in 1960.

January 7, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  14. Brom

HOW FAKE CAN YOU BE! The news reported yesterday that she was not being emotional enough and not showing vulnerability and today she does this. This shows me that she will do anything a your vote. She follows polls not her gut. Don't fall for this. I believe in Obama and heis the real deal.

January 7, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  15. hollie

Kandi Beaman:

Hope is for the hopeless....

January 7, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  16. Dee

I have not been a fan of Hillary – but I have to say, I found her emotional moment to be very real...I wish we could see more of "this" Hillary -passion and honesty is such a rare commodity in any candidate!! Having said that, I don't think Hillary should be the platform for our first woman President.... I mean it's a landmark moment that she's in the running, and I admire her for that – but I won't vote for her just because she's a female! That's ignorant; nor would I vote for Obama because of his race – it NEEDS to be about the best candidate.... bottom line.

January 7, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  17. Vinny

Hillary bashers wake up – as a country under George Bush we been taking a bashing, what has our brave current president brought for us besides a beating, remember where our brave Bush was when 9/11 happened he was running from the east coast to the west coast, I guess that's what a leader is suppose to do. It will take a woman to clean up a man's mess. And all the other candidates running, their going to say what you want to hear and that's about it to get a vote.

January 7, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  18. Reality checker

Compassion or Concrete? Which would you want to see in the next POTUS or VPOTUS?

January 7, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  19. Bob Smith

How much did she pay that person to ask her that question. Personally I think it was a pre-planned event to "try" and fake she is human

January 7, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  20. Tony

This is simple math. When you vote for some one, you vote for their team. Clinton had a surplus... Bush did not.

Obahma has plans, but no outline for the plans. He tells people what they want to hear.

Ms. Clinton needs to get smart and learn to lie, maybe she will be able to get ahead.

January 7, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  21. mikekemper

Oh the poor baby. And this woman, who can't even stand the pressure of the campaign trail wants to be President of the United States. Lord help us if she is elected.

January 7, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  22. Anthony

Even when she may be truly sincere and emotional, she looks cold and calculating. I'm not buying it considering the timing. When is the NH primary again?

January 7, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  23. Janet Ammons

Passion......Heart.....that is what I want in the next President! Do not kid yourself people, the emotion shown by Hillary today was real and heartfelt. The plain simple truth is she cares more about the issues facing us all today than any other candidate. She also will stir the pot to create the changes that need to be made! She knows the system from both sides! Do we REALLY want another inexperienced President? Please wake up America!

January 7, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  24. Jerry - Boynton Beach, FL

Wake up America!

We have been victims of mismanagement by the Bush Administration for 8 long, costly and painful years. Bush II promised change with no national resume and he promised to be the "Uniter".
    We do not have the luxury, time or enough money left to consider the possible election of the Junior Senator from Illinois with 2 + years of experience. It does not matter if he is Black, White or something in between. It matters – that Hillary Clinton has the experience, the reliable resources, and the means to make a difference.

We cannot afford the expense and the wait of 4 years of on-the-job training to consider the Obama option. It simply does not compute.

January 7, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  25. Larry

Some Democrats and Independents are so overcome with defeating the Republicans they are prepared to roll the dice and go with an untested candidate.

The Republicans must be licking their chops over the prospect of going against Obama or Edwards. They are doing everything possible to help convince Democrats and Independents that Clinton is the black sheep, a pariah, too status quo and old school politics.

The Republicans will most likely not win the White House but an non-Clinton nomination will make it a lot easier and closer than people expect.

Who would you rather go toe to toe with on issues? Obama, Edwards or Clinton?

Who would you rather go against on experience? Obama, Edwards or Clinton?

Who has the best understanding of how Washinton works? Obama, Edwards or Clinton?

Who knows the players in the foreign arena? Obama, Edwards or Clinton?

Who can learn from past successes and failures best? Obama, Edwards or Clinton?

Who has a thorough and thought out plan for the country? Obama, Edwards or Clinton?

Who could you learn the most from? Obama, Edwards or Clinton?

Let's hope people focus more on substance than style and appreciate maturity over glib oratory.

January 7, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |