January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. casey

This is exactly why she shouldnt be president. Women are to emotional

January 7, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  2. Hal

Cry baby and she wants to be President. Pitiful...

January 7, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  3. Roger

"All the way Hillary!" said:

"Hillary'08
    proven leadership!"

How is cheerleading for both her husband, as well as the current dolt in the White House, "proven leadership"?

January 7, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  4. Mario

Adam in NY, SHUTUP!, hypocrites...she doesn't show an emotional side, she has you sucked into her dilusions you fool!

She only cares about one thing and one thing only...HITLERY! Wake up boy!

She is a weak peron, weak leadership, weak on experience, weak on telling the truth, weak on foreign policy, weak on eveyrhing. I can see it now, Russia declares war on Europe...she will just cry and play the victim, why me when asked for help by other countries. Get real, Hitlery is toast and she has the biggest hips a he/she could have, get rid of the cow!

Go Mitt!

January 7, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  5. Kathy

I don't participate in blogs but couldn't let this opportunity pass. I realize that most people who blog, need to get a life. Our media, reporters, talk show hosts, and yes, I count bloggers in that arena too, have found that they can keep repeating the same rude and biased opinions – that's all they are – and the American public will fall for it. Some of us don't fall for it. If you are a woman and from Senator Clinton's generation, you would know the obstacles that many women have had to face. Yes, it's emotional to know that when you step outside the prototype of what unenlightened people are pushing, you are in a no win situation. That's exactly what happened today. Hurray for Hillary for her response and showing that she does have compassion and passion! I'm registered to vote and will be able to cast my vote for Hillary in an early primary!!

January 7, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  6. Jimmy

Its ok for Hillary to become emotional. It shows that she has a heart for the people of America. We need a President that walk the walk and talk the talk. Not one that just sounds good. Vote Hillary NH.

January 7, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  7. Ito

Uh...the fact that HRC has emotions is not so much the issue as her ability to time the tears that exposes them as contrived.

HRC is a fake. She talks and talks and talks...it's what Clintons do. They talk. They are career polititions. She follows the polls, steels others campaign slogans, and will forget about everything she said on the campaign trail if she is elected.

Get real, HRC...please...at least have some respect for yourself if you can't find any respect for the American people.

January 7, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  8. RC

I read through all your comments and can't belief how blind, narrow-minded, and naive some of you can be...
    There is nothing wrong with showing her sensitive side. It does not necessarily represent weakness but that she uses both her BRAINS and her HEART.
    THIS IS SOMEONE WHO CARES!!!
    THIS IS CHANGE!!!
    (Unlike those hungry wolfs who want to be President for selfish reasons)

Whatever happens...

G-d Bless America! And G-d bless our Economy as it is very much needed!

January 7, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  9. carol

Hillary '08

January 7, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  10. Abe Saleh

She Could be breaking a part and getting emotional, We don't know, I can't believe she would get that low and play the oldest tricks in women's book.
    I'm a Clinton fan and very dissappointed in her. I'm not being sexiest here, but seriously how can I trust a president who breaks a part when things get tough??
    What a shame!
    Suppose she wins the nomination and go against McCain, don't you think the Republicans will play this video over and over and over??? She will give the Republicans another 8 years in office. How stupid and weak this is?
    I'm really ashamed of the media playing this video. If I had any drop of faith in her, I've already lost it because if she really wins we are doomed with the Republicans rule the white house.
    God bless Obama and be with you. I really urge everyone to think twice before they vote for Clinton. We really had enough of the Republicans and don't want them ruling anymore. Enough we've had enough.
    MAy God be with you Obama. May God bless America.

January 7, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  11. Steve, Allentown PA

Ms. Clinton is a formitable woman. I applaude her ongoing efforts. But, I don't think this country can take another four years of her style of politics. Obama is a "roll up his sleeves and get the job done" guy. The general public wants to see that. Guiliani (sp?) also has that sort of reputation. We've had enough "suits". It time somebody in office at least acts like they're in the same boat the rest of the population is. Clinton will lead by telling others what to do. Obama and Guiliani will lead by doing it themselves.

January 7, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  12. jack ob

A legitimate emotion. She is speaking the truth... Don't mistake sincerity for weakness. This candidate has more strength of character and greater moral and spirtual virtue than the entire Bush administration assembled.

January 7, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  13. Emma Anakwe

When the die is cast the flocks from the wings of many bright Angels will fall. Although they all wear the symble of grace but only the brightest and the fitest will survive the test of mordern democratic arrangement. Hillary Clinton's melt down at a simple pep talk gathering will automatically redefine her "milk for gull" image to Billy's kind of sympatetic image that propagated them for many years to the pick of political power in America. My conclusion is that the lady that ask her a lady like simple question was a Clintonite arrangement in disguise that was carefully used as a last straw the deflate the entire "change" atamosphere that is anihiliating the tri- geopolitical state of Ohio, N.H and S.C in which the clinton political machine has sensed an inevitable defeat.
    At a time when the rest of the democratic world are begining to draw comparison on American political hiistory with the likes of the Gandhi's, the Butto's and the Sudi's which is the same as the Bushs and the Clintons. I can tell you now that Americans are returning to their senses.

January 7, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  14. Venus, from Phoenix

Will Mrs. Clinton try to cry her way out of WAR ? Venus.

January 7, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  15. oliver

WoW!
    The song "Tears of Clown" by Smokie Robison keeps repeating in my head.

This soooooo sad. Quite pathetic, actually.

January 7, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  16. Tom Dedham, Mass

Watch the whole clip sheep, she went from POSSIBLY showing a human side to the very next sentence attacking Obama.

Couple this with the campaigns STATED tactic of trying to show her softer side for weeks and even you sheep need to CONSIDER the possibilty that this was staged.

Look at many of the pro-Clinton postings, the correct spelling is HILLARY and not HILARY or HILLERY.

We do not need 4-8 years of games, scandals and NOTHING GETTING DONE.

It is as simple as ABC, Anyone But Clinton.

January 7, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  17. Dee

Dick Morris just made a comment on FNN something to the effect of "what if Hillary reacts emotionally when the country is facing a terrorist threat"? If this is not spin on what was barely a quavering of Hillary's voice (not exactly a nervous breakdown), I don't know what is. And let me repeat, I don't like HIllary (or Obama or Edwards) and will not vote for any of them, but let's be honest folks!

January 7, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  18. Angela IL

I am a foreigner in US, and I cannot vote. I am suprised how many of you trashed a high-quality candidate.

U.S. stocks had their worst start since 2000. Unemployment rate climbing, Dollar depreciating against major currencies, oil touched $100, and more and more people seeing Recession coming. This is what you should all worry about.

You need someone SOLID, someone who has enough knowledge and experience to stablize the economy, not someone who unit all of you (maybe) and starve together with a beatiful dream. Economy goes bad, everyone will suffer. You don't want to take the chance.

Hillary is you best choice. I was impressed by her straight answers at the debate. She has been working hard to get herself ready for a long time. Obama never thought about running until last year? How ready can he be? To my knowledge, Hillary is also well received in the international community.

Please don't trash a respectable person just because she does not fit in your traditional frame of being likable. I thought you guys live in the most developed country in the world and you know better than placing double standards on an intelligent and hard-working woman.

January 7, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  19. CurtSpeaks

I must say that I thought Hillary did better than ever Sunday in the debates but was reminded today that a woman should not be president! When she got chocked up and almost cried today she lost me. I realize that they are all keeping long hours and this is extremely demanding but what if she is in the process of demanding negotiations with another country as president and lets her emotions show through? I can sum it up in her using her sentiment; Wrong women, wrong office! We need change and Obama represents that change needed. Bill did a good job but he depleted our military and intelligence to pay down our deficit and they both take money from the shadiest of places! Our country needs unity, not more Hillary/Polosi/Reed type hate. My only hope for America is Obama and if he does not deliver on his promises of getting the lobbyists and big business out of our government, I am moving to Brazil! Our county is less than it once was because of the Hillary’s and Bill’s and Bush’s and such. We have not had a good president since the Roosevelt’s or Kennedy!

January 7, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  20. France-Michele Adler

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Crying is not presidential. What will she do in a real crisis???

January 7, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  21. Justus

Hillary needs to let go. She keeps talking about change and the only change she represents is going from the Clinton's to the Bush's back to the Clinton's. She is such a part of the problem and the mess that has been created over the years by those two administrations. I am shocked that she doesn't see this, and even more-so that the American people don't.
    That so-called Safe Families Act that her husband passed, is one of the biggest reasons that families all over this country are suffering now. Basically, the government owns our children. Yes, Hillary you do have to think it through before you act on it. If Walter Mondale was able to see that, Bill Clinton more than likely saw the same thing. Change is about giving others a chance, not playing revolving doors with the Bushs. Is Jeb Bush being groomed to run next term???

January 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  22. Drew

It makes me sad when I saw the video.The reason it does is because she trying to tell us that Obama is fine but not a person we should pick to get out of this mess that Bush got us in. If we were'nt in this mess guessing Obama be a better pick but because we are in this mess he may not be the best experience because he doesnt have the experience to get us out of this mess and people are making this election like a game like she said.I think the Oprah thing is having more of a impact than people are admitting.

January 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  23. Ray

AFTER HILLARY'S BAD ACTING FOR THE CAMERAS. I'M GOING TO VOTE OBAMA.

January 7, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  24. Donna H

Finally, we see a "human" Hillary. We all know she is capable, intelligent and has a proven track record. I wish her handlers would allow her to be more "human" because this is what voters are responding to in Obama and in the Republican's Huckabee. Neither has extensive experience, but both are "real" in that voters can identify with these two people. John McCain is a smart, experienced man who is a true patriot in every sense of the word. But he has little hope of getting elected to the highest office because he appears to be too aloof. People want change, yes. But what they really want in a president is someone who appears, at least, to be "of the people and by the people." Hillary, until this particular moment caught on tape, has always held her head high in the face of adversity, but in doing so seems to be above we mere mortals who stumble at times through life. Hillary, go ahead and allow yourself to fall – Americans will catch you with open arms

January 7, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  25. Susan - Las Vegas

Hillary's human. Frankly, I was happy to see her display a little emotion. It made me realize how real she is and how hard she's worked. It's easy to get caught up in all the buzz of Obama. But a lot of talk doesn't necessarily get the job done. Remember what George Bush promised when he was running for President and look where we are now. Hillary has been talking about the changes she would like to make and how she plans to go about it. I have yet to hear Obama discuss any particulars, just ideals. With all the problems the country has right now I think we need to be very careful in electing the next president. We don't need any more regrets.

January 7, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |