January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. lennybruce

That's the first time I saw Hillary as a person, as a vulnerable and authentic woman versus the pre-programmed robotic politicus and I thought it was wonderful! If she dared to be so authentic more often then I believe she would still be topping the polls by leaps and bounds. I have new found respect for her.

January 8, 2008 06:07 am at 6:07 am |
  2. Stacey, Philadelphia

GO OBAMA!!!!!!

January 8, 2008 06:11 am at 6:11 am |
  3. JA

I hear you parforthecourse.
    I am a women who has worked in various types of manufacturing businesses for over 30 year. The "boys club" mentality is alive and well in those environments.
    Women have to work twice as hard be to half as excepted. Luckily......that is very easy for most of us to do.
    Hillary deserves respect for taking on male dominated politics, like her or not.
    Some people blogging could better use their time reading up on some facts about all the candidates.

January 8, 2008 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  4. Marisol

Just as an FYI, Oprah was engcouraging Hillary Clinton on her show to run for president and her audience went wild. Of course, this was before the '08 race took off and Obama joined the race. What was Oprah's motivation for switching gears?

January 8, 2008 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  5. BCNU purple state, usa

Reay to weep on day one.

January 8, 2008 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  6. SD girl

Oh please.

This is along the lines of "I feel your pain."

Give me a break.

January 8, 2008 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  7. gobackforward

experience is indeed not a requirement, go do some reading. hell, some of us prefer none of this "experience" thing that you all talk about like its a sudden illumination that shines the answers to all our problems. where do you pick that up btw? probably somewhere in dc talking to lobbyists and generals all day, figuring out the best way to make everyone happy, the best way to make concessions and compromises. to hell with your "needed experience" theres already too much of it out there, its no good and proven so by the experience of living in this corrupt waste of a system.

January 8, 2008 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  8. Donny

I know there are a lot of strategies dealing with elections. It is clear that Republicans are bashing Hillary and building up Obama. Republicans know that if they have to face Hillary, they will not win. Every President including Regan showed tears on TV. Not one time did anyone question their strength. Hillary is stronger and smarter than any of the candidates on either side. She is the only solution for this country. She is the only candidate that can beat all the republicans

January 8, 2008 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  9. Brian

I don't think it is a sign of weakness for people to cry. It is just a necessary release of emotion. Not a sign of a lack of internal fortitude. My only problem is that I don't believe it was real. Look at her eyes. Watch them through the entire video. They just never change. Not a hint of a tear or strain of holding them back. In fact, as soon as the clapping starts she has a hint of a smile that is like "I got em hooked". I had honestly hoped she would have run for 2004. I thought for sure I'd be voting for her now, but the Clinton's continue the divide and conquer mentality of the old politics. Between the "crying", the complain on access Hollywood of a double standard in politics for women, the obviously planted neanderthals with the "Iron My Shirt" signs and now every interview is about how tough it is and how personal this is for her as if magically appearing in response to the polls... I'm sorry. I think this is all calculated to galvanize women to come to her rescue. I just think it is terrible and manipulative. Any women that would have run and was genuine, much like my state's Patty Murray or Maria Cantwell, okay, those women I could get behind. But Hillary... I'm sorry, I just think this is all phony.

January 8, 2008 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  10. lisa wells

Mrs. Clinton, I am now completely committed to you and your bid for the election. As a healthcare provider in Raleigh, NC, I felt your geniune concern for Americans and will be proud to cast my vote for you. I intend to encourage all that cross my path to vote for the only candidate who dares to bare her soul, the soul of a mother with her unconditional support, and maybe that is just what we need! Thank you for breaking the ground for all women in America! Lisa Wells, RN

January 8, 2008 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  11. Mike

If you watch the video of "Clinton Gets Emotional", you will see what this country would have to look forward to for the next four years. The simplest of things is going to set her on an emotional path which this country must not fall into. If you look at the incidents from this weekend in the Straits of Hormuz you see a perfect example of emotions getting out of control. I am not saying that Hillary is going to threaten to use explosives when another country's ships get closer than she likes but, can we really take that chance? And what happens if that situation does arrive and cooler heads do not prevail? I don't want to have to answer for my vote after something like that happens.

January 8, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  12. Mrs Belcher

I don't know if I am more appalled at Clinton or the stupid women that are falling for this garbage.

Last year, Hillary pretended to black, hispanic, human and now she wants us to believe she is some kind of caring, compassionate woman.

Get over it lady. If I were her, I would fire my campaign advisors for allowing me to be dragged to such a level.

What a joke... and they thought Thompson was the professional actor.

Go Fred.

January 8, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  13. Sidee

How can America be so blind? It is clear that white America is behind Obama just to devide the black votes between he and Hillary. Can you believe Iowa, and you had better NOT!!! They fully understand that this is pollically ochestrated. After Obama receives the nomination, then all whites and undecideds, and others will vote republican. Why can't the blacks, such as radio commitators, and others that are in position see this for what it is?? Shame on us for jumpin on this Obama band wagon. It will not ride all the way into town.

January 8, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  14. Mrs Belcher

What a joke… and they thought Thompson was the professional actor.

Go Fred.

January 8, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  15. L

Good Luck Hillary... the movement is with you!

Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes." They will say, "Women don't have what it takes." ~Clare Boothe Luce

"We've chosen the path to equality, don't let them turn us around."
    - Geraldine Ferraro (The first woman to be nominated as Vice President of the United States)

Men are taught to apologize for their weaknesses, women for their strengths. ~Lois Wyse

"I have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat"
    - Rebecca West, 1913

January 8, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  16. jhon smith

MS. WELL, YOURS WORDS TOUCHED ME TOO! YOU KNOW IT IS DIFFICULT TO WIN WITH ALL THIS CONSPIRACY. BUT ONLY GOD KNOW THE UPCOMING OF THIS ELECTION. HILLARY CLINTON HAS PROVED THAT SHE CARED FOR PEOPLE, SHE HAS THE RECORDS TO BACK HER STAND ON ISSUES BUT STILL TOO MANY HATERS.I PERSONALLY THINK BETTER FIT THAN ANYBODY THAT IS RUNNING IN BOTH FIELDS. IF SHE TAKES A STAND, SHOWED EMOTIONS, SHOWED TOUGHNESS, SHE IS GOING TO BE CRITIZED. LES THAN A MONTH AGO ROMNEY WAS IN TEARS ON MEET THE PRESS BECAUSE HE THOUGHT THAT ONE OF THE SOLDIER DEAD FROM IRAK COULD BE HIS SON. I GUEST THAT WAS OK! BUT IT IS NOT OK FOR A MOTHER THAT IS SEEING 8 MORE PAINFUL YEARS COMING UP ON HER COUNTRY IF OBAMA IS THE DEMOCRATS NOMINEE. BECAUSE THE ALL PROBLEM IS RIGHT THERE. IT NOT BECAUSE SHE CANNOT TAKE THE HEAT. I DON'T THINK SO. THEY MANUFACTURE THE ALL GAME BECAUSE THEY WANT TO RUNN AGAINST HIM BECAUSE IT WILL BE EASY TO TAKE ON HIM. BUT PEOPLE ARE NOT SEEING WHAT SHE IS SEEING. FOR NOW SHE DOESN'T HOW TO REVERSE IT. THE NEW "DRUG" IS "CHANGE" BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN? OBAMA HAS NO RECORDS TO PROVE HIS POINT. BUT THAT'S OK TOO. IT IS CRAZY.

January 8, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  17. ALH

Please people...quit using her PASSION as an excuse to play the "unstable emotional woman" card! If you remember, M. Romney got teary on stage a month or so ago!! Quit blaming her emotion & passion on the fact that she's a woman! You ALL know she's more than capable of running this country effectively.....more effectively than naive Obama or passive Edwards! She's the only one that is strong enough, determined enough, and experienced enough to turn this country around and "CHANGE" the idiotic things put into play by the Bush Adminstration!

January 8, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  18. carol

LEAVE HILLARY ALONE!

If it weren't for the secret service, they would be hunting her down like a dog just like Britney. All of this negative blathering shows most of America is too immature, jealous and bigoted to let a well educated, strong woman move beyond the kitchen. This country is still in the dark ages. If you make your decisions based on some well rehearsed idealistic speech written in Hollywood and canonized by the pundits, you better be prepared for another 4 years of disaster. Don't complain when they have to draft you or your children because the terrorists didn't get the sound bite.

Grow up!

January 8, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  19. MARC

ALL OF THESE COMMENTS ARE POINTLESS CAUSE WHAT HAPPENS IS GONNA HAPPEN NO MATTER WHAT.. AND WHAT ALREADY HAPPEN CANT BE CHANGED.

January 8, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  20. Lole J. Charles

I like Obama and Edwards, but I prefer Hillary Clinton!! Obama is simply a very inspirational talker, but he has not offered much and he will NOT be able to do for our country. I can't believe at how easily millions of Americans go for TALK! Look at what has happened to our country for electing Bush: You prefered drinking a beer with him, etc. He walked with his Bible under his arm. Yet he has to be the most unChristian president I have ever seen!! You guys who are following Obama did NOT learn your lesson, did you? What the hell is wrong with you? Don't you all have any discernment and judgment? Why are you listening to words only?

Then you have Edwards, whom I would have voted for before Hillary decided to run. But thank God, she decided to run! The more I see Edwards on debates and his campaign speeches, the worse I feel about him! He reminds me of a little boy who is constantly picking on little girls because the rest of the boys do not hang around him and this is the only way he gets attention! I am SO disappointed at this demeanor! He is such an ANGRY person that I honestly feel sorry for him!

As for Hillary, I honestly feel deep down in my gut, my heart, and my brain that she will be a terrific USA President! She is a practical and intelligent person who will not do STUPID things!! She will weigh every pro and con before making her decision. Above all, I really feel that she can unite us, if we ALLOW her to do so! I can't believe that there are so many women that are so gullible and are turning to Obama because of Oprah! I like Oprah, but I am not allowing her or anybody else decide for me! I go by what I see what each candidate stands for. If Obama is nominated for our Democrat presidential candidate, I WILL vote for MCCAIN if he is the Republican candidate. I would rather have a candidate who KNOWS and who has the experience, not only a smooth talker! I pray that we Americans start looking at our candidates objectively and honestly question each one of them! Remember, OBama and Huckabee, are all TALK!! Elect either one of them for our president, and our country will get WORSE! Please think very carefully and objectively when voting!!! DO NOT take our country to a worse downfall!!

January 8, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  21. A-M

I am not convinced that Hillary's tears are going to gain her anything but public scorn from both political sides. Hillary has lent credence to the argument that women shouldn't be president because they are too emotional (a blanket statement, which by it's very nature, cannot possibly define all women). As a woman, I am appalled that Hillary would resort to sniveling and blubbering to garner votes. Hey Hillary, you've come a long way baby, BACKWARDS!

January 8, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  22. kelci

Can someone help me with this question? Hillary says she has all this experience but the only thing that I know she was a senator. Is she counting the year that her husband was in a office?

January 8, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  23. Craig

Please that was the most fake display of "emotions" I had ever seen. She acts like she has a passion, yeah a passion for getting elected. She shopped New York state like a person buying clothes...Where can I get the best deal? What is going to make me look the "best".

January 8, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  24. Shari

I think that I will send her a box of Kleenex! She must have had a great acting coach!

January 8, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  25. David

Even after seeing this "emtional" display of feelings by Hillary, I still can't get past the attitude and tone of Hillary's campaign that it's her RIGHT to become president! They are projecting this sense of entitement which is very annoying. The know-it-all attitude, done-it-all attitude.

It's very refreshing to see Barack Obama is the one who is defining the terms of this campaign. I hope he wins at least several more primaries since it will be very good for develoment for the march to make serious changes in this country.

January 8, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |