January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. IK

She is a lady, yet tough enough, focused and goal oriented.
    She can make it. Forget Iowa...

January 7, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  2. Dee Ward Mena, AR

Like several have already commented on...Hillary can do no right according to the press and her rivals. She is human and I'm sure she is exhausted physically and mentally. If any other candidate has put so much of themselves in this race, I sure don't know who it is. Hillary has done so much for this country and will continue to do so. Two states DO NOT A PRESIDENT PICK, remember there are 48 more and I intend for my vote to count, how about the rest of you. How come it is ok for Huckabee to come in 3rd or 4th in NH and he is doing great but if Hillary doesn't come in first then she is out of the race. I hate to tell you obama followers, he has along way to go and he won't make it. For one thing, running as a black doesn't get it. He is HALF black. He is proud of his black heritage, does that mean he is not proud of his white heritage, his MOM...You don't vote for a candidate because he is black, or because she is a woman, you vote for the best qualified person and that is definitely HILLARY ALL THE WAY.... Lets hear it for Hillary...

January 7, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  3. Justin, MA

Looks like Diane from New York is a bit confused on the numbers. Yes Hillary has 169 (not 166) votes but she needs 2,025 not 270. 270 is for the general election with the Electoral College. The Republican number to win the nomination is 1,191; with Romney in the lead with 26.

January 7, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  4. ranrod823

I really think the Clinton campaign would still work without the negative attacks. This is why John Edwards would never win because all we hear from him is his attacks rather than his message. His middle class message is overclouded with his status-quo rhetoric. People are just tired of negative campaigns. Go HIllary! stay positive even if they are attacking you.

January 7, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  5. Janice

Just what I thought all along: she's a paper tiger. No backbone, no guts, no courage. Get out while you still have a molecule of self respect, Hillary. Use this defeat to work on your personal demons. You'll be a better person.

January 7, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  6. FL on the 29th

There's just no satisfying anyone, is there??

She's too hard. She's too soft. She's too experienced. She lacks the right kind of experience.

So instead... let's put fresh-out-of-diapers Barack Obama in the job?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

I'm glad Hillary is showing some humanity. It's more real than the soap opera acting coming out of the Obama campaign.

Hillary in '08!!!

January 7, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  7. Joe

At least Hillary is not a former pot-head or cocaine user like Obama.
    At least Hillary shows up to vote and does not vote "present" like Obama.
    At least Hillary has the experience to be President unlike Obama.
    At least Hillary is not playing on the sides to be Vice-President, like Edwards.
    At least Hillary is tested, veted and able to lead from day one !

January 7, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  8. andrew

I can understand the criticism of hillary clinton on this and many issues, frankly i don't like her as a candidate, but what is really confusing is how people on here can criticize her and say that obama is so much better. Neither one of them is a good candidate. For people looking at Obama, believing that he is going to bring republicans and democrats together, listening to him claim change is more important than experience. For the last 7 years the biggest problem in this country is that people fell for that same tired old line in 2000. Like it or not, we elected someone then (or the supreme court appointed, whichever you prefer) who had almost the same foriegn policy experience (none to very little), and look where that got us. About the only reason to vote for either one of them is that bill clinton has ties with heads of state around the world, he's charismatic, and he can sell almost anything. At least if we needed something done, they could find him somewhere in the whitehouse with an intern and send him. I live in indiana, and will not have a chance to vote before the primaries are decided. I wish however, people in this country would stop voting with what their hearts say is the right thing to do, and listen to their heads, whichever candidate they end up voting for, at least there would be reason behind it, not blind hope.

January 7, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. Teris

Yes lets all vote in another testosterone filled man with no brains, no experience, does cocaine, smokes cigarettes, takes money from Oprah, wants to bomb Iran, and is a male chauvanestic attitude, yes by all means vote him in.
    Yes lets vote another George Bush into the Whitehouse, also had no experience and has brought this country to its knees economically and into invading other countries that have nothing to do with Terrorists.

I can see it now...Reverend Al Sharpton as Vice President...
    and Oprah as the Foreign Secretary of State...
    mmmmm....sounds good!
    And watch the Republicans laugh all the way to the whitehouse.
    Obama does not have what it takes to be a President. there is alot more you don't know about him,,,, yet!!

January 7, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  10. Glo

Perhaps no other presidential candidate has been asked about keeping their hair looking good because she is the first.

She is not prone to fits of weeping. She has shown that she has feelings. She responded to the person calmly, sensibly. We need leaders who show that they truly care.

January 7, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  11. Ron Az

I am frightened, I believe that if Senator Obama wins the presidency, he will be the first black president in the history of our country. Please don't take me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that. But, I 'll bet that every black lobbist in the United States will be sitting on his doorstep and every black community leader will be expecting favors for the black population in our country. I have said this before and I'll say it again, Their is no such thing as race, religion, or personal feelings in the presidential offiice, The president works for the American people no matter what religion or race they belong to. When a man is sitting in the Oval office as president, he has to make decisions that are right for the country as a whole and refuse to make decisions for one religion or one race of people. I NEVER tell people my race, if they ask, I say, I am an American!! Thats where we all should be. Its time the American people come together as one and stop playing their own personal race card. If all of these people who play their race cards when things get rough, why didn't they just stay in their own country. WHILE YOU ARE LIVING ON AMERICAN SOIL , YOU ARE AN AMERICAN, IF YOU BELIEVE OTHERWISE, THEN IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO LEAVE MY COUNTRY.
    Maybe some day we will not have Countries, our planet will be just one United Federation. Until that time we must be true to the Country we are living in. If you find you cannot be faithful to the country you live in, its time you left and went to the country you consider home. If you stay, be true to America and stop trying to tear her down. God Bless You All.

January 7, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. Bren

Crocodile tears? I'm a woman and have been accused of shedding such tears. In my case, they didn't affect anyone but us two. Clinton on the other hand will benefit or not from her outcry, at the hand of millions of ppl. Political platforms are not the place to be overtly emotional. I wonder if she cried with Bill when he was doing his deed.

I love food by the way... flanboyanteats type of food :)

January 7, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  13. anonymous

I kinda have to agree with people here a bit. She has shown she can stand up to certain things...When she does that, she gets bashed for being a liar, but when she shows emotion, you bash her by saying she's weak. I think we could use someone with at least a little emotion...

January 7, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  14. JORGE DE ZAMACONA

I voted for Bush Sr, and Bush Jr., The first time, but the best eight years for America in the last 20 hav been the Clinton Years. Hillary has been giving of erself even before they reached the White House. Her record speaks for helsef and her humanity spells good judgement. She is a far better known quantity and quality than any one running out there. No one has been scrutinized as much as she has been millions of Dollars were spent trying to bring her and her husband down, and they prevailed! She is as American as apple pie and better prepared for the job she seeks than any one on either party. A woman ran the argest populated democracy in the world, Hatcher did a desent job in England, Germany has a woman leading it, and so does Argentina, and the recently assesinated Buhtto, governed Pakistan,and none of them were as prepared as Hillary.

Men have ruined this nation it is time for a woman, and a well prepared one at that, to take it over.

What have the rest done before they came to live off of the traugh?

January 7, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  15. Karen

What is going on CNN? I am hoping you are having system issues. The haters are the only ones getting posted. No, I wouldn't dare mention Obama after getting dumped 3 times. I'm with Diane, what's up?

January 7, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  16. Jay

This is silly. As a liberal it does not bother me if Clinton or Obama becomes president. They are both progressive candidates. What's wrong in showing emotion? This is case where people play a gender card. The implication of Edwards remarks are -don't trust women they are too emotional. It puzzles me that Edwards whose fortune is based on manipulating emotions would make such a sexist comment.

January 7, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  17. Jim

Do we really need a president who can't handle a bit of a set back without crying about it? Thank goodness she wasn't dealing with Saddam and Bush did. Does she think crying to Iran's leader will help diffuse the current situation?

January 7, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  18. MARTY MCCLAIN

I'M FOR HILLARY- ABAMA IS LIKE PEOPLE I HAVE HIRED & FIRED OVER THE YEARS. TWO WEEKS ON THE JOB- AND THEY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THE JOB – WHAT EVERYBODY IS DOING WRONG. BUT,GIVE THEM RESPONSIBILITY & THEY FAIL

January 7, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  19. Gary

If you can't stand the heat....get out of the kitchen

January 7, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. Horatio; Henderson, NV

It's....all....slipping...away.....

Just drop out and let the better candidate take us where we need to go. Don't embarrass yourself and our party by trying to spoil the good name of our best chance at the preidency for your own selfish ambition. There is room for you on the Obama bandwagon – we'll save a seat for you, as long as you show class in defeat.

Obama '08.

January 7, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. LeeAnn N. Taylor, San Francisco, Ca

She wasn't crying over her hair, you idiots. She was talking about her love for the country and what she wants to do and how hard battling the "warm and fuzzy" zealots (Obama and Edwards supporters) is. She got emotional so what? The Obama crazies all talk about his emotional speeches, but Hillary can't show her passion for the country and what she wants to do? Give me a huge friggin' break. I hope you all aren't as hateful and cynical in your daily lives as you seem to be here b/c hate and anger will take 10 years off of your life.

January 7, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  22. Mark Columbus, Ohio

Her staff told her that she was way over the top the other night at the debate (being vicious towards Edwards) – told her to tone it down. Now she's crying and we're seeing the softer side of Hillary. Personally, I think she needs acting lessons.

ClintonNetworkNews.com

January 7, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  23. Mindy Chatsworth, California

I think Hillary Clinton is being unfairly trashed in the media and has been from day one. I am surprised she hasn't cracked before now. The comments here only reinforce my feelings. Why she even would bother to try and make history as the first woman president, I have no idea. Just reading some of the brutal comments here would be enough for me to say, Who needs it!

I think her emotional moment was geniune. These people are not robots or machines, they are human beings. We should not forget that. So now she's too weak to be president because she showed some feelings? Unbelievable. Or she's just being a phony and trying to be manipulative. This woman really cannot win no matter what she does. I would get upset too if the media was callously writing my epitaph before even one single vote has been cast in a primary. It's a disgrace.

Everyone is jumping on the Obama bandwagon, it would seem. I, for one, will not be one of them. I want to wait and see before I make my decision. There is a lot we don't know about Obama. I want to see the media start grilling him and put him in the hot seat for once. Let's see how he handles some real pressure. Let the media take the gloves off and put Obama under the same kind of scrutiny as the other presidential candidates. Then let's see how he holds up.

Hillary should hang in there and tough it out. The big primaries are still to come on February 5 and she should stay and fight.

January 7, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  24. Dee Ward Mena, AR

By the way, obamas comment "you're likeable enough Hillary" was lower then usual even for obama. He and edwards should be ashamed of themselves for how they conducted themselves in the debate. I wouldn't have been surprised for edwards to grab obama and hug and kiss him...He probably doesn't even like him but he thinks obama will come in first in NH and hopes to come in second ahead of Hillary so would do and say anything to do so. I am so disappointed in edwards, I used to admire him but he certainly has changed my opinion in this run for the Presidency...Also, How can she be so unlikeable and be voted "The most admired woman in the world"

January 7, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  25. Bren

I love food by the way... http://www.flanboyanteats.com type of food :)

January 7, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |