January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Tom Davie

Again, 99% of the people who responded here talk about political tactics, slurs and other piles of crap.

America is in trouble. We need a GOOD president.

Obama is NOTHING like Bobby Kennedy or JFK. That is just the latest SPIN for the weak minded. Their entire lives were different.

I had VERY high hopes the Democratic party would get the whitehouse.

If Obama gets nominated, I will vote for McCain or Guiliani. We need someone who is ACTUALLY CAPABLE of running the country. AMERICA is in one of the most difficult periods of our HISTORY .

We have no time to put another forest gump with good intentions in the whitehouse. We JUST DID THAT for 8 years.

There is nothing wrong with Obama per se. He is simply NOT READY to be president. You cant go from virtually NOTHING to PRESIDENT of the most powerfull country on the planet.

The world itself will be much more volitile if Obama gets elected.

I would still vote for edwards if he won, but he doesnt really have much of a chance.

January 7, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  2. DemVoter, NH

Love the scripted softball questions from the audience, Hillary. Kind of reminds me of, who was it now? Oh, yeah, George W. Bush. Are you guys sharing campaign strategists? Maybe even the actors you get to ask you questions at these events?

January 7, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  3. parforthecourse

LADIES .......

Demand Respect

Demand Respect

dislike her, do not vote for her....but demand respect for her as a woman.

do not let them do this to her. My anger is mounting...she is one of us...do not let them disrespect her.

January 7, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  4. Jack K.

Way to go John!!

This is a much easier test of her mettle–than actually being President!!

If she can't handle the primaries–how will she handle the tempo in the White House–when faced with multiple decisions/priorities on the home front and abroad.

Another reason we need a President who can carry the burden–along with the added burden of fending off the GOP attacks, and tackling the tough issues related to meaningful reforms in Washington. It will be a heavy load the next President bears.

John is the man to carry the burden!!

January 7, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  5. g sheahan

I strongly believe that you are the best person for the job. I wish people would realize that as nice a person as Obama is, he does not have the experience
    to do the job at this critical time. We are fighting for our lives here
    and we need experience in the White House!

January 7, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  6. Dyanne VA

Get real, Hillary....You were only asked "Who does your hair. The answer was
    as fake as her hair color.

January 7, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. Fred Thompson

Kelly,

Duncan Hunter is a closet wierdo, just like Larry Craig.

January 7, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. Kimberly Peacock

I don't know how she does it. I am in tears for Sen. Clinton. I would give up and move to England, or Canada. She has to deal with the unfounded hate, the slander, and its disgusting!!!

Double standard all the way. This is why she must win and I am going to make the maximum contribution to her campaign.

January 7, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. Jaik , chicago, IL

She has impressed me in the debates every time, but she has always left the flavor of a political opportunist flapping in the wind this way and that. She probably would be a strong president, she is so devisive as a candidate however, and the presidents #1 job , is to win the election for the party, I don't think she could win over republicans. Her career isn't over if she looses, regardless it is very very early on. All states should vote on the same day, this is ridiculous and undemocratic.

January 7, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  10. Heath Cannon

This is called real passion people! We asked for a real Hillary, a human Hillary, a Hillary with feelings and this is it. Obama is too young to lead, to inexperienced, to naive. Clinton's tears are real, and should serve as a warning to us all should Obama win. He is a brilliant visionary man, but he is not ready...and if he does win the nomination, the Republican attack machine will eat him alive, tear him to shreds – then what are we left with? The bottom line is experience and electability here. Notice no response from the Republicans – they WANT Obama to win because they know they can destroy him in the primaries – they are terrified of Clinton because they are terrified of the Democratic revolution with a nationally electable candidate.

January 7, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  11. sfotransplant

Good grief, she should be the next one to get an Oscar for that acting performance. After all these of years of being the stoic, hard one in the family, we're supposed to believe this????? Give it up, gal.

January 7, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  12. Al in Wpg

Imagine giving someone a job interview and they start to tear-up. Seriously. Now imagine you got to give someone an interview to be your boss, and they start to tear-up. This is totaly going to back-fire. Get rid of whichever advisor told you to turn on the water-works. And where in the world was this campagne stop, the woman's washroom. not a gent in the crowd.

January 7, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  13. David

Sounds familiar. When women don't want a ticket, they cry. When this woman wants the presidency, she cries.

WAHHHH!! I WANT THE PRESIDENCY!!

Give me a break. Maybe this was a job just for us men.

January 7, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  14. nightmare in New York

How can Hillary be a viable candidate for President when she is crying like a little child having a temper tamtru

January 7, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  15. joseph

I believe it's a blessing that Obama did not spent much time in Washington before deciding to run for the presidency. His short time in the capital also put him in a unique position with an experience that is different from all the other candidates.

January 7, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  16. Andrew

Some of you people are sick, and many of you, I'm sure are 20 year old Obama Groupies. She shows no emotion, shes an ice queen. She tears up a little when asked a pretty good question "How do you keep going," and you condemn her for being fake or weak.

Hillary Clinton is not the problem with our politics.

The problem is the very people who have demonized her for pathetic reasons and find a sick satisfaction in making her their personal symbol of all that is bad. GROW UP!

January 7, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  17. Bob, NJ

PURE DESPERATION!! She is trailing by over 10 percentage points in New Hampshire with the clock ticking away. This is a desperation play for attention and sympathy. Cold and calculated, scripted. No real emotion there. What a phony.

January 7, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  18. Steve, Landing, NJ

I'm sorry, what exactly has Ms. Clinton accomplished again? She shot to fame as a student because of her impassioned speeches, became a lawyer, married a politician, acted in an advisory capacity for twenty-five years, and then became a Senator. For 8 years she did Senatey things, but hasn't got the longest list of accomplishments to be bragging about, and now she's running for President. Her record isn't much different than Obama's–prominence based on skill with rallying and speaking, impressive legal credentials, followed by a relatively short time in elected office.

Out of interest, all you people condemning Obama's lack of experience and supporting Clinton, why weren't you on board for Joe Biden? Why aren't you supporting Richardson now? Those are the guys who have the genuine experience: long records of doing good work, huge political and international connections, vast foreign policy experience. Everything Clinton's said about Obama could be applied tenfold to her by these guys. What's the deal?

January 7, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  19. Zoeysmom, Vista CA

Most of these posts are confirming what I have suspected all along. It is still impossible for a woman to be elected POTUS. It is easier to be a black man in America and be taken seriously as a potential leader of the free world. One minute you want her to be a reachable, touchable human being but then the next if she's not a ball-buster, you want nothing to do with her. She can't win in your narrow minded eyes. I campaigned for Bobby Kennedy back in 1968. Barack Obama is no Bobby Kennedy. There is something about him that I find unsettling, not to mention his lack of hard core experience. The world is a difference place these days. I am a black female Californian with a Gore 08 sticker on her car but Senator Clinton will get my vote on February 5.

January 7, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  20. velma

Hillary hang in there. Right now the men in the presidential race are ganging up on you, but soon that part will be over and it will be one-on-one, then things will dramatically change. It will be great to hear you called "President Clinton". You are the only one that can get this country back on track. The strong thrive and survive; you are doing both magnificently.

January 7, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  21. DemVoter, NH

From Al in Wpg: "And where in the world was this campagne stop, the woman's washroom. not a gent in the crowd"

I can just hear the strategists now..."Senator Clinton, this is a woman-heavy audience. Perfect time to show some tears. Would you like us to go get you the eye drops?"

January 7, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  22. SteveM

There's no crying on the campaign trail !!!!!

January 7, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  23. Jason Smith

I am an upstate New Yorker, and I am supposedly represented by Hillary....and I feel that she has done nothing for New York state....

The horrendous performance of the last Republican governor, Pataki, propelled Dems into power here, including Hillary...not anything she did personally.....

Hillary especially has done nothing but say what she is going to do. In this region, for example, after recent, devastating floods, she toured and made appearances and that was it....

She has done nothing, even while many upstate NYers still have no health insurance, jobs (and people) continue to leave except for Walmart and other Big Box stores which lead to low-wage service sector jobs, mom and pop stores continue to go under, rural economies are suffering, farms are going under and turning into new subdivisions, which I would think are unncessary with our current housing situation, and will further depress prices...

Bottom line: Hillary hasn't done anything concrete in her home state that she can point to as proof of her ability to do anything....and I am getting tired of her campaigning about change without doing anything that would seem to indicate any advantage of her so-called "experience" besides knowing how to manipulate people and play the political game......

Then again, while Rudy had an initial surge stemming from post 9/11 hopes, the same which re-elected Bush, and we can all see where that has gotten us today....

January 7, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  24. Justin, Houston, TX

Wow, it's really sad case for Hillary and all women should take note. The very ones saying she's too tough, it doesn't semm like she care, i just don't like her, etc, etc. The minute she shows an ounce of emotion call her weak. That's the exact reason she has to be sound so hard all the time. It's really disgusting how sad and pathetic this country is.

I'm a lifelong Democrat, but one thing I know for sure is that if Barack is the nominee I will definitely be voting for Rudy or McCain. I won't have anything to do with a party that has so much unwarranted contempt and are so blinded by their hatred for someone they are willing to buy a bag of hot air. Even ray Charles could see from the debate Saturday night that only one person on that stage was ready to be President and that was Hillary.

January 7, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  25. Arun

Folks,

There are 48 more states to go after this state. Trust me, Iowa and New Hampshire will not have the last word. Come out west, the support is incredible for her, and we have elected plenty of African-American officials, so we don't have to feel like, we have to elect one to be a part of change, we have been there and done that.

I am black.

I vote for people based on their qualifications. There is only one clear choice and that is indeed Hillary.

She shows compassion and gets ridiculed. She shows strength and gets blasted for being a female dog.

She has taken more heat than anyone in this candidacy and stood the test well.

Hillary will lose New Hampshire, but if she loses between 4-6 points, she made up a ton of ground, and she will do absolutely great on Super Tuesday when she picks off the big states.

Bill and Hillary would have lost all states leading up to February 5th for their candidacy, ironically, they will get their bounce and come-back on the same day of the year.

January 7, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |