January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Maryland

There is the passion, someone who really cares about our country!!! Go Hillary!!

January 7, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  2. Arun

And, by the way, like the above poster said, I am a Democrat through and through. But, if Obama gets the nomination, I will be voting for McCain.

Obama has missed 83% of the votes in the United States.

You can have all the "vision" and "talk" in the world, but if you have no substance, and are lazy, you are not my President. I've had enough of talk and laziness the last 8 years.

January 7, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  3. james

Man, come on. How can this be personal for her all of a sudden? Do any of yall remember on Saturday when Edwards and Obama were talking about their personal experiences being included with their political decisions and Hillary interrupted by saying, "Ok, can we step back into reality for a second?" Hillary supporters don't remember that now? Let me just say this, how many times has Hilaary changed her slogan? 10 at least. How many times did Obama?

January 7, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  4. Tony, Tulsa, OK

Go on bash Hillary for everything she does. She's either too cold or she's too emotional. She's too this or too that. It is all so stupid and sexist I am very impressed that she's still in such a good place to win the nomination. Our first woman president won't have gotten there by being perfect. She'll have gotten there by beating back the forces of sexism, and getting people to judge her by the same standards as everyone else. After all, when Obama delivers his stump motivational speech, nobody accuses him of acting. But that's all he's doing.

January 7, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  5. Arun

83% of his votes in the U.S. Senate. Thanks to cnn for our voices to be heard. I will be supporting Hillary or John McCain as an independent in 2008.

The hatred for this woman is disgusting.

I am black.

I vote for people based on qualifications, not on talk.

I am voting for Hillary.

January 7, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  6. sara

Be careful in your choice this election if you chose Obama, the republicans will have a field day with attack ads come november. I can already see the titles " Are you ready for Barack Hussain Obama" an ex muslim who refused to hold the Bible as he was sworn into to the senate" They will make him look like a non patriotic american who stands with the muslims. The "low-informed class" will run to the voting booth and vote against Obama. The race is not over yet and if Obama thinks the majority of the American people are ready to jump on this fairytale kumbaya skittles road to "change" then he needs a wake up call.....Trust me Fox news and all the right wing nut balls will push for getting Obama nominated come this fall and trash Hillary, just wait and see... This is because Obama does not pose a threat in the the blue collar south or the mid west...So unless we begin to help Hillary this election we will see another 4 years of a right wing ding bat in the white house...

January 7, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  7. David

WAHHH!! I'M A CLINTON AND I WANT TO BE PRESIDENT!! WAHHHH!!!

January 7, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  8. Randy, Los Angeles

I should run for President since theres no experience required. Its the only job that ridicules experience. Where do I send my resume???

January 7, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  9. gary west

Hillary is a panderer, a panderer who's been caught pandering and she is looking for another way to regain her former place in the political process we are currently witnessing...her defeat is imminent

she doesn't like what she's being told and is being forced to change her tactics

as we watch her own party ease away from her 'coronation', as the country's desire to not be subjected to another Clinton regime becomes more and more evident, she doesn't know what to do

if she attacks her opponent, her motives and especially her own vulnerabilities become the issue and she simply cannot win that struggle...she is finished

and good riddance

your headline today used the word "emotional" and that is a death blow for her-certainly, you know that-because we, as a nation, know very well that becoming "emotional" is not an acceptable response from someone projecting themselves as "presidential"

January 7, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  10. Scott, Madison, WI

No Hillary, before New Hampshire it was personal and about Iowa. Now that you're dissing Iowans in The New York Times as being illegitimate, it's about the children and a bad hair day. You still aren't passing the smell test, Mrs. Clinton.

January 7, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  11. Jason, Chicago, IL

I saw the video and I just don't believe these were real tears. I'm trying to be objective here, but look into her eyes, she isn't crying. She paused right before she "choked up". It's as if she remembered what they told her to do and she figured now was the moment. And even if her getting emotional was real, that's fine, but it still shows a weakness.

I'm sorry, I don't want to seem sexist, but we can't have that in a President. I hold her to the same standard as any other candidate. I don't look at her differently as a woman. While she may get a pass because of her gender, what would the reaction be if that was Obama or Edwards? Political death. Then Hillary went on after choking up with her usual stumping of how she is the only one ready, how the others don't know what they'd do in their first day. Preposterous.

By the way, I saw a preview of the Obama interview tonight with Brian Williams, and Williams showed him the latest Newsweek with Barack on the cover. Barack started talking about how proud his Mother would be for this moment. Tears? No, even though they would be more forgivable in this case.

January 7, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  12. Mark Columbus, Ohio

Kelly:
    I personally like Hunter, but it looks like the media is ignoring him. Ann Coulter even likes him (but I can't stand Ann). Anyway, either way you look at it, we're going to get a loser for a prez.

Mickey Mouse in '08

ClintonNetworkNews.com

January 7, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  13. concerned citizen, Mesa, Arizona

If I remember correctly President Bush has teared up a few times in front of the camera and not one of you men probably said a thing. If you don't want to vote for someone that is fine but the nasty comments about Hillary is uncalled for. I really don't know why she would want to be President for people like you haters. I won't vote for Obama but I don't attack him personally. The media has been so cruel toher and just lets Obama get free ride. I am a strong woman but I don't know if I could take what she has taken. According to Obama and Edwards she has done nothing right in her life time and they have done everything correct.

January 7, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  14. parforthecourse

Women.....

I wil repeat the mantra over and over again.

DEMAND RESPECT

DEMAND RESPECT

dislike her, do not vote for her, but do not let the "male dominated media" beat up on her like this.

DEMAND RESPECT

DEMAND THIS FOR YOUR DAUGHTERS
    DEMAND THIS BECAUSE IT IS RIGHT

Mrs. Clinton may not be the best candidate, but if this kind of scrutiny was around when Bush was running........maybe he would have never been elected. Oh...but yes....we did not scrutinize him....rather we all wanted to have a beer with him.

LADIES....

DEMAND RESPECT

January 7, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  15. Chris from Indpls

Like I stated in earlier postings...Senator Clinton is by far the best qualified to run this country. Senator Obama is congenial and charming, but he has no record of change to stand on – neither does Edwards.

My theory is that by the time this is all over, the Dems may end up being so split hat we may not win the general election unless Obama and Clinton are together on the ticket – preferrably Clinton/Obama. If these two folks could find a way to work together – the positive results could be endless.

Also, if McCain or Guiliani get the nod for the Republicans, watch a lot of independents move their way like me because I won't vote for Obama without Hillary on the ticket. However, I would vote for Hillary without Obama!

GO HILLARY!

January 7, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  16. bobr

Jim 2:18pm

you got it right. It's what I was talking about making promises that they can't deliver.
    I also agree with your last sentence about Edwards and would like to finish it.

......except when someone picks on him and wifey comes to the rescue. Who's crying then? In fact, it certainly seems as if wifey is calling the shots. To wit: in an interview that ran last week wifey continually finished his sentences and clarified his statements; over the summer she said I CAN'T make John black or female, as opposed to the neutral John ISN'T black or female; she's the one that picked fights with Ann Coulter and Mrs. Obama. So, either she wears the pants in the family (sound familiar) or this is the most disgusting attempt to play on someone's illness that we've ever witnessed.

January 7, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  17. Kenny, Tulsa, OK

I'm a registered Independent and have no dog in this race. However, any candidate that is already so tired that a comment about her/his hair makes them break down in tears gives me serious pause as to whether or not said individual won't 'break down' under the tiring stretch of a 4 year term in the White House. I guess they'll have to create a new government beautician agency to alleve some of the worrisome stress that inevitibly comes from those dreaded bad hair days. Especially if one 'just, you know, passionately believes that it is the right thing to do'.

January 7, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  18. Vegas

There is no crying in campaigning. She is not ready to lead.

January 7, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  19. Laz

Hillary is passionate for her own agenda in the white house and is not believable with such dramatic rhetorics.

Hillary please vote for Barack Obama and you will have a chance to make your changes into reality.

Barack Obama is what Hillary needs as a coalition not Bill Clinton to pass bills & policies to ensure the prosperity of all Americans.

Please stop misusing reality tv dramas.

January 7, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  20. WomanWithHope

WHY IS IT THAT THERE ARE MORE MEN COMMENTING ABOUT THIS INCIDENT THAN WOMAN?

ARE YOU SCARED THAT WOMEN ARE FINALLY SEE THE REAL HILLARY AND THEY MIGHT UNDERSTAND WHAT SHE IS GOING THOUGH AND WHAT SHE IS ABOUT?

AND WOMEN MIGHT USE THIER BRAINS AND REALLIZE SHE IS A HUMAN BEING LIKE ALL OF US AND NOT A CARTOON?

January 7, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  21. bobr

to the moderator:

I'm curious about what was in a previous comment that you found reason to censor?

January 7, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. Tony

I canvassed early on for Barack in NH and got the chance to meet him and be in the first row at one of his speeches. I wasn't alive when Robert Kennedy and JFK were making their runs, but I imagine people had the same feelings then. I also imagine people thought the Kennedys were too young (JFK was 42 when he was elected) and inexperienced. I'm glad Americans back then weren't as near-sighted. I ask you this, what has the wealth of experience from Dick Cheney, Colin Powell and John Ashcroft given us? How has their rich background helped us? It's a joke. I heard someone in NH say that they feel like they have to take the chance and vote for Obama... that things are SO bad, that it's time to go out on a limb with a candidate that may not be a 30 year insider. I agree with him. I'm glad I was able to give my time and money to his campaign... and to be able to say to my kids down the road, what supporters of JFK said to their kids... I was involved in the shaping of a new, more positive, less cynical America. GO BARACK!!!

January 7, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  23. Dee D'Errico

WELL, ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THAT I AM VOTING FOR HILLARY; AND SO IS
    EVERYBODY I KNOW (THAT'S A LOT OF PEOPLE). I FIND IT VERY INTEREST-
    ING HOW PRIMAL IT SEEMS TO BE TO ATTACK HER. I JUST DO NOT THINK
    THAT MEN WANT TO TURN THEIR POWER OVER TO A WOMAN. PERIOD.
    IT IS A REAL SHAME. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU MALE CHAUVINISTS. READING
    THESE COMMENTS AND LISTENING TO SOME OF THE UNBELIEVABLE
    JUNK ON TV HAS BEEN REAL ENLIGHTENING ABOUT HOW THIS COUNTRY
    TREATS ITS' WOMEN.

DEE (A WOMAN FOR HILLARY)

I ALSO NOTICED THAT YOU ARE NOT POSTING ALL OF THE COMMENTS....
    HOW CONVENIENT. I WISH YOU MEDIA JOCKEYS WOULD STOP TRYING TO
    INFLUENCE THE WAY PEOPLE THINK IN THIS ELECTION PROCESS. YOU
    ARE SUPPOSED TO BE REPORTING......NOT BENDING AND SPINNING.

January 7, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  24. Texan

Funny how people scream and yell about the Clintons and decency. They did not lie to us about a war that has killed thousands, or gov't contracts to friends of W, or wire-tapping, torture, Katrina, environment, etc etc....the list of lies from this current administration continues to go on and on. Aong with the fact that the super rich continue to get richer.
    Chelsea has turned out to be a model citizen, where did that come from? BTW, don't ask George or Laura, their kids are too busy getting drunk somewhere.

January 7, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  25. Tom Davie

read all the replies on this thread.

Its all the same

NOBODY will ever talk about the fact Obama is NOWHERE NEAR ready to be in command of 10,000 nuclear weapons, the army and the most powerful country on the planet.

They all want to play 'spin doctor' cause they LIKE him and want him to WIN.

They FAIL to clearly understand that he then has to go out and LEAD the country and negotiate with world leaders and make critical decisions.

They dont CARE that they are sticking another FOREST GUMP into office . We just had the same forest gump with 'good intentions' in the whitehouse for 8 years.

If Obama wins the nomination, I am surely voting for McCain or Guliani. As sad as that may seem.

I want someone who can ACTUALLY run the country. Yes, its IMPORTANT TO ME.

January 7, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |