January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. CalGal

I hate to see any candidate "breaking" or getting so emotional at the beginning of the process. She hasn't even captured her party's nomination. It makes me wonder how in the world she would be able stand emotionally through a battle with the GOP candidate.

Perhaps she is too passionate and it is serving to her disadvantage.

January 7, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  2. Isaac, Wisconsin

Hillary keep hope alive cause America will elect uuuu

January 7, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  3. Greg, NY

Dee Ward Mena, AR January 7, 2008 2:39 pm ET

Also, How can she be so unlikeable and be voted "The most admired woman in the world"

Because in that same magazine, President Bush was voted the most admired man in the world. So how can he be so unlikeable and be given that title?

Explain that and you will have answered your own question.

January 7, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  4. Tom Davie

YIPPEEE

Republicans are PAYING OFF THE MEDIA in great hopes of crushing clinton.

the only REAL candidate to have a chance to win the election.

Whoopie.

I WONDER HOW MANY CAUCUS VOTERS ARE ACTUALLY REPUBLICANS VOTING FOR OBAMA so he will swipe it from Clinton.

you know ................................'independants' ???

If I was a republican, I would go vote for Obama too.

Its no small co incidence that in Iowa they had DOUBLE the turnout than they ever had before.

January 7, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  5. demwit

Hillary crys more for the presidency than she does about Bill's cheating ways. The Real Hill.

January 7, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  6. David

Hey parforthecourse, if you think that Hillary winning the presidency is a victory for women, you are mistaken. Everyone knows that Hillary is a man.

January 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  7. Nomad

If Hillary survived all the extra-marital affairs that Bill engaged in that went national, and then went on camera and never cried ... she's got the backbone of 10 men!!! Give her a break!!! She is super strong and extraordinarily intelligent. I agree she should only refer to her actual year's of experience as a Senator and not count her First Lady years, etc. - but she's been active in all the things she mentions – albeit not as an elected official. All political candidates pad their resumes at least a little. She's very tired ... allow her a tear!!!

January 7, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. shelly, altoona, ia

Hear we go! Men have to find a reason to belittle a woman. Hillary is a genuine REAL person and spoke from the heart. That's it!! Edwards is a fake and Obama is to green to accomplish what he wants to do. GO HILLARY!!

January 7, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  9. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Girlfriend is having a bad hair _year_.

January 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  10. Lawdog90

WHAT?!? Quit belly-aching and crying. This is at least the second series of episodes, the first being when you complained "he's picking on me" when John Edwards dusted you off over your lack of transparency.

Sure, the media made it look like it was going to be a cakewalk for you, but you shouldh've known better! Stay in the kitchen and cook something for us like Edwards and Obama are doing or get out if it's too hot!

January 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  11. Chicago

I was expecting Edwards to be the first candidate to begin tearing up over "bad hair" days- Oh well, either way, it's typical triangulation out of desperation for Hillary. She should just get the hint and move out of the way, let the politicians of the future get on with it. She's a thing of the past (except on the "Clinton News Network.")

January 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. Jack

Hiiary is a piece of work and has had a good teacher in Bill. Can't wait to hear what excuses she will have when she loses the nomination to be the democratic candidate for president. Also believe she needs a visit from Dr. Phil. He has time now that Spears has been removed from his busy schedule. Jack

January 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  13. Ted

Hillary Clinton and the Pips. Ready to hit the road!!!

January 7, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  14. E.M.

Typical whipsaw by the "boys:"
    If a woman shows engagement and emotion, she's weak. If she stands up and is
    assertive, she's shrill and angry. I cannot believe that Edwards and Obama would
    stoop to such stupidity.
    Hillary Clinton was fighting for women's rights, minority rights, and, yes, John Edwards'
    parents who were losing their textile jobs long before either of these boys were off
    their tricycles. Shame on them both.
    Experience does count and the pie-in-the-sky rhetoric of someone who
    voted "present" instead of yes or no while in the Illinois legislature is sad and
    nothing but so much hot air. How dare he compare himself to John F. Kennedy and
    the latter's speech about going to the moon. Kennedy knew before he said that what
    was involved and what it would take. I know. I lived through that time.
    Obama wasn't even out of diapers.

January 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  15. teddy orlando

omg !! you must be kidding me

does she have any idea how silly she is beginning to look

Like i sadi before i had ...... HAD........ some respect for Senator Clinton prior to her run for presdient. then she got cocky when she was leading then she got nasty when she was challged now she crying for what ever reason which seems false to me.

what will this women not do to become president????

OMG she has gone nuts to think americans are soooo dumb.

should have run in 2004 HRC

Now its time for you to go your dishonesty and cold caculation will hurt america

I could never run for presdient but it seems to me the presdient of this country should be there for the people not for ambition or themselves.

sure you must be ambitiuous to rise so high in office but not at the expense of real values and deception

Bye BYe HRC 2004 was your year but you tried to caculate ihow to win not how to assist the dems or the people of america there in lies your biggest problem

CACULATION AND TRIANGLAUTION (if that is even a word)

January 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  16. New Orleans

As a woman, I have supported other women candidates, but Hillary does impressed me, that she can do the job, she is more head strong and living in a fairytale, than anything and her Angry Does Show. 35 years experience does mean anything, tell me what other candidate that ran for the Presidential office had experienced the first time around.

January 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. Tom, Ca

Just to clarify: Hillary's number of committed national delegates to the Democratic National Convention right stands right now at 169 or 56% as opposed to Obama's 22%. This has nothing to do with electoral votes, but simply the number of delegates pledged to support a candidate at the their respective conventions.

January 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  18. Zach

I think her emotions are a sign that she really cares about doing good work for the country. It's one thing to be constantly tough, constantly conniving and clever, but it's a really beautiful thing to see a politician open up and reveal her actual emotional attachment to the ideals of America. I hope she does well. It's not fair what the other candidates have been doing, one day insinuating that she is cold and calculating, and the next day calling her "too emotional."

January 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  19. Neil

parforthecourse – If you're voting for Hillary because the media "want to bury her" – perhaps the election can do without your vote.

Maybe you should decide who best speaks to your issues?

Obama '08

January 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. john oltmanns

I suppose that since I cried when I put my 16 year old dog down I would automatically be exluded from running for President according to Edwards.
    I'm also tired of every second rate democratic hopeful invoking the actions of John Kennedy as if by comparing themselves...be real

January 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  21. rosey

Are all you people serious? You're looking at her for her gender, and it is appallingly sexist. She has shown incredible strength during her whole campaign, and you can bet that if any of her male opponents got emotional, the crowds would cheer instead of criticize. Its disgusting how far the public still has to go in recognizing a woman's equality. Did any of you LISTEN to the debates on Saturday?!?! Hillary is the only one who actually provided specific plans, (ESPECIALLY on foreign policy)and knowledge about the state of this nation, and what to do. I am all for change, and all for inspiration, and bringing people together, but i want to know what those canadates are going to DO when they have all the people together and unified. WHAT ARE THEIR PLANS?!?! I want a president who can make changes during the entire four years, not one who is going to take half of it to even formulate a plan. They just kept talking about the people and the people, but what are the people supposed to do? What direction are we supposed to go, when some canadates can't even form specific paths. Words are great, and words are important, but a knowledge of what this country should do is what matters most. Time is crucial, and we need to act now. Even experts agree, Clinton has run the most specific campaign in regards to issues at stake. So please don't criticize her for getting emotional. That's just ignorance.

January 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  22. Steve, Landing, NJ

JoR–

You don't see the same type of negative comments about the men? Where have *you* been? Every single leading candidate is vilified by their opponents' supporters. Obama's been called an America-hating Islamofascist before. If Edwards broke down in tears on the campaign trail, people would be calling him weak, making jokes about $400 dollar haircuts, and spelling the end of his campaign.

The idea that Clinton being a woman his her trouble is bull. I'll admit, 51% of the population is female and only 16 of our Senators are female. They're getting short-changed about 3 to 1. Blacks, on the other hand? 14% of the population, but only 1 senator. That's a 14 to 1 shortfall. Look at other predominately white nations around the world. How many have elected a black leader? Virtually none. A female leader, on the other hand? Britain, Canada, Germany, etc. etc. Is America really that more vastly sexist than anywhere else?

The debate about whether it's harder to be a woman running for president than a black man is silly. This isn't about *women* and *black men*, this is about *a* woman and *a* black man. If Obama had the charisma and acumen of Chris Dodd instead of Barack Obama, Hillary would be on her way to the nomination. If Hillary had the inexplicably consistent and broad-based popularity of Condi Rice instead of the enormously divisive baggage of being Hillary Clinton, she'd be in a much better place right now.

Hillary Clinton's problems are all about Hillary Clinton, and the reputation she has garnered over the past fifteen years in the public eye. The people who don't trust her *won't* trust her, no matter what she does or says. The people who think she's a cold, manipulative politico won't change their opinion because she shows emotion, they'll just think she's a cold, manipulative politico who realizes she's losing on charisma and is either trying for a pity vote or genuinely breaking under the strain of her shattered assumptions. That's what you're seeing here, a referendum on two decades of bad press and a failure to connect with people.

That said, I honestly don't have a problem with her. If she wins the nomination, I'll happily vote for her against anyone in the GOP field.

January 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  23. uwsredhd

I can't believe how cynical many of these posters are...as though you've run for President and understand what it is like to take the scrutiny more than any other candidate on the trail. To be honest, your heartless comments here just make America look worse than it already does to the outside world.

January 7, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  24. Sherry

She got emotional because of the question "how do you do it". GO HILLARY!!! Hillary is a hardnosed, tough, inspiring, charismatic woman. In spite of everything she endures. She didn't run from her family after a crisis. She held her family together at all cost. Her life is an open book and I personally am very glad that is so. These attacks will only make her stronger. All you haters out there.....it is MADAME PRESIDENT to you.

January 7, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  25. Donna

I think we all should get behind Mrs. Clinton (those that believe that we do need a true change in the White house. After all we have a woman as speaker of the house. Now its time to put a woman in the White house. I don't say this just because she is a woman, I say it because I thik that she has proven that she can bring the change that we need and need it on day one in the White house.
    I know that Obama seems like change but what can he do on day one? He has just been a senator barely. We just need to think about what we are doing before we put someone there that has no experince. Thank you

January 7, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |