January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. diana

HILLARY IS SHOWING HER TRUE COLORS. SHE WAS CONFIDENT IN THE BEGINNING AND THOUGHT THAT BEING A PRESIDENTS WIFE AND HER STENT IN NY WAS ENOUGH TO BE A SHUE IN. BILL CLINTON DIDN'T NEED TO BECOME DEFENSIVE AND HAS AN OPEN, LIKEABLE PERSONALITY. IT DOESN'T MATTER IN THE LONG HAUL IF SHE'S "PAID HER DUES", SHE'S ACTING LIKE A SPOILED, CORNERED BULLDOG.

January 7, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  2. greg / switzerland

Arun,

Don't be ignorant...There's no hatred here, people just see through all the tricks she's applying and are getting tired of it. If she has issues she feels strongly about, bring them out to the people. That's what the others are doing! If the majority of the people see something in her they don't like, then get a pencil and piece of paper and do the math. I'll bet later on after you cast your vote for her, you'll be kicking your own self in the ass!!!

January 7, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  3. Claude

This woman needs to stop.....gender card......victim card......negative attacks......arrogance......untrustworthy......calculated.....it will not work.....she's yesterday. Good bye Hillary!

January 7, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  4. Michael

OPRAH WINFREY WILL NOT DICTATE FOR WHOM I CAST MY VOTE!!!

I, unlike so many WHITE, middle-America Soccer Moms, will NOT be Oprah's puppet. This is the MOST important decision we, as Americans, will be making for many years to come, and we cannot afford to make a mistake .... i.e., putting Oprah's puppet in as the Dem. nod.
    He CANNOT win against the Republicans, so if you want another Repub. Admin., vote for Obama. If you want a strong, proven Democrat who can win against the Repubs., please VOTE FOR SEN. HILLARY CLINTON!!!

January 7, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. amy R, Iowa

She probably just read the recent polls before sitting down to talk. Panic is starting to set in as her "inevitability" is crumbling. That is what happens when you feel entitled to being the President and are working for your own personal goals instead of the needs of the voters. She has not connected with voters and is having a problem connecting. Yes, she is scared and is getting emotional. But it was not tears for the voters but tears for herself. To describe it as for anything other than self-serving is as phony as a 3 dollar bill. It simply is not her time.

January 7, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. Jim Wagner, Phoenix AZ

You all will eat your words for – it's a long way till Super Tuesday, things will come out of the woodwork, like a criminal past for selling drugs that has been buried along the way.

By the way Obama-ites, fair warning: we are sick of your absolute smears on blogs like these. She is your opponent but she is also the former first lady OF THIS PARTY. She is not some one-term senator like your candidate. You show some respect, you don't boo her publicly or mark my words, we can split this ticket. Think only your opponent can be booed?

January 7, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  7. Sharon, Littleton, CO

That is the most genuine feeling I've seen from Hillary. If she doesn't show feeling, she labeled as a cold and calculating opportunist. If she does, people, like those on this blog, say she's too weak to be president. Give her a break...she's human and she's probably feeling a little deflated by what's been happening at the polls. The election's not over until the "fat lady sings" on Super Tuesday.

January 7, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  8. Mr. Kiz

Man, this one will do ANYTHING to get back into the White House. What a PHONEY.
    Obama 2008

January 7, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  9. Dan From KC

The Country has had enough of the Clintons... The best chance Dems have is if Edwards get the nominationt. Hillary in un-electable and America will not vote for a Muslim. (Period) We repeblicans hope it is either Obama or Clinton, Republicans will be int the white house again... If it is Huckabee and Obama.. Religion will come up...(Period) Vote christian or muslim..

January 7, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  10. Jason, Chicago, IL

Terry McAuliffe is being interviewed on MSNBC and instead of trying to move around the tears, came right out and said that it shows she's emotional and how much she cares about the country. This is exactly how it would go down if the tears were fake.

She knew she needed to be seen as more personable, she knew she wasn't likable, she played the gender card in the debate on Saturday, she mentioned crying in the Access Hollywood (lol) interview yesterday, and today she executed. Is it really a coincidence this happened a day before the primary? Please.

She is a brilliant politician who knows exactly how to work people over. This was planned, and by the way some of you have responded, she succeeded in generating sympathy. Now I want to see Barack respond by saying I hope she's ok, she's a terrific person, don't hold this against her.

January 7, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  11. A. Harrison, Atlanta GA

No matter what she does she is hated and pounced on and it's a shame. We are willing to look beyond color but not across the sexes.

I think this is a shameful moment in this country. Shame on the media for magnifying everything as well.

January 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  12. SUZANNE ELLIS

I DON'T KNOW HOW ANYONE IN THER RIGHT MIND THAT WOULD'NT PUT HILLARY CLINTON IN OFFICE. SHE HAS THE MOST EXPERIENCE-–AND BESIDES THAT IT ABOUT TIME TO LET A WOMAN DO THE JOB......WE ALL KNOW THAT YOU MEN SURE HAVE MESSED THINGS UP. SO WHY NOT GIVE HILLARY A CHANCE TO CLEAN THINGS UP IN WASHINGTON...AND AS FAR AS CHANGE GOES ELECTING A WOMAN WOULD BE A MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR CHANGE..

January 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. Carolyn, Atlanta GA

She probably put some drops in here eyes beforehand because after all she's been through, there's no way her eyes could well up naturally. I bet all of the good she did before she was first lady was calculated too. She probably really hates women, kids and the less fortunate, but worked to improve their lives just so she could take over the world one day.

With all of the bad people in this world, I don't understand why some people have to be so nasty toward this woman who has worked hard her entire life to make a positive difference in the lives of others–probably at the expence of her own happiness. Shame on all of you who are taking cheap shots at such a respectful role model.

January 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. Jim Wagner, Phoenix AZ

Recall my posting, I didn't mean to include my full name.

January 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. Ripper

You would think that after all the years married to Bill, Hillary would be better at the "faking" thing. What a loser. $10 says that if she doesn't win the POTUS election she "retires" from the Senate early or doesn't run for re-election.

January 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  16. Phil Greene, Houston Texas

Cry Baby Cry.
    Stick your finger in your eye.
    I WANT TO SEE YOU CRY TOMORROW.

January 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  17. Yogesh

Hillary reminds me of Meryl Streep from "Manchurian Candidate". She is the most manipulative woman I have ever seen. This country will not be best served if she becomes the President. Hope NH voters see this & vote.

January 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  18. Jay

A-Men!
    Oprah will not tell me how to vote either!

HILLARY CLINTON IS OUR ONLY HOPE OF GETTING ANOTHER DEMOCRAT INT HE WHITE HOUSE. I'm from South Carolina AND THE SOUTH WILL NOT ELECT A BLACK PRESIDENT. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

YOU ARE RIGHT, HILLARY CLINTON IS OUR ONLY HOPE!!!!

January 7, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. ademocrat

Hilary does not strike me as an actress. This recent outward show of emotion is real. Lots of men women have a public "hard" edge – but everyone has an Achilles heel. Let her be – it is her race to win or lose – she will still be a US Senator if she loses. Not too shabby at all.............

January 7, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  20. tom

There's no crying in baseball . . . or in the White House!

January 7, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  21. Stamford

Go Hillary ! I am glad to see that there are feelings there. Look at what she has endured over 35 years and she still "feels" ! I would rather have that than self-serving rhetoric.

January 7, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  22. Lance in Monrovia

I really don't doubt that Hillary Clinton sincerely wants to do well for the country. That said, I believe that her judgement and her capacity to truly understand what that means is so skewed and so out of touch that she absolutely, positively is not the person who can actually affect real good in America.

No matter how good her intentions, she will continue to divide and weaken our government if she's in charge. I know this from years of watching the partisan bickering between the Clintons and the Republicans.

the best thing she could do if she wants to help save this country is step down and throw her support behind the one candidate that actually CAN affect real change, Barack Obama.

Obama is proving daily that he really, truly is the force that can unite this country and revese the years of damage that Bush and the Clintons have done to our Republic.

I call on Senator Clinton to throw in the towel and endorse Barack Obama while she still has some reputation left to her.

If she continues this badly run campaign and this breakdown of her support, she won't have the power she needs to be even an effective democratic leader in the Senate.

I think Senator Clinton is a fine legislator and she'd make a fine Speaker of The House some day but she will never, ever be the leader that Bill Clinton was, or that Barack Obama is becoming.

Barack Obama is the best hope this nation and this country has.

I will support him with every fibre of my being. I will work tirelessly to see that he's the next President of the United States. He's inspired me and millions of others like me for the first time in our lives to truly take charge of our political process.

When I could be off doing whatever I want with my spare time, I instead am putting my walking shoes on, knocking on doors, calling strangers, talking to them all about Barack Obama.

Again and again, I find a receptive, eager audience.

It makes a strong arguement that people are ready to change this country and they're ready for Barack Obama.

if he can inspire such loyalty and support in us, think what he will do as President of the United States.

I can't wait. It is historic.

If you could've volunteered for Abraham Lincoln's campaign, would you have?

This is historic on that level. We will never, ever forget this time. He is our Lincoln, our JFK, our hopes and dreams and he himself represents the American Dream at its finest.

I have no more words. There's nothing else I can say to any undecided voter except... the future is in your hands. Grab it.

Lance

January 7, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  23. Geri Sacramento

Well put, Zach!

January 7, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  24. James D.

As an Obama supporter and *recent* HRC critic, I found Hillary very authentic here. It seems she sees it slipping away and that would be extremely difficult for ANYONE.

She *has* worked very hard...her entire life in public service. I think she is very sincere actually, but has been beaten up...flat out abused...for decades and that has taken its toll. I don't respect at ALL how she (Bill, Mark Penn!) has run her campaign against Obama. I think she has made very bad choices in the last several weeks, but I think this moment was revealing...of a person who does want to make a positive difference in people's lives. We should honor that.

To those who see this an opportunity to attack her...saying she's crying over her hair, etc, etc...I suggest you look a little deeper. Your comments have no substance other than to reveal the joy you get out of tearing someone else down. Sad. Argue the issues?...fine.

If the comment sections on CNN and on the various websites are any indication of "where america is at", bitterness is consuming America and Barack Obama is WAY, WAY ahead of his time. Maybe too far ahead to get elected. We get the leaders we deserve, which is a sad commentary on a country that elected Bush TWICE.

January 7, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  25. Shirley in South Carolina

This is an important election. All factors should be considered carefully. Experience, dedication, commitment, ideas, plans, etc. The likeability factor should also be considered. In my opinion all of the candidates are likeable including Clinton. However, this was one of the strong points for George Bush. Everyone thought he would be a nice person to have a beer with. Eight years later most people would like to see him go away and they would buy him all the beer he could drink if he would do so. Therefore, try to stick to the issues and please give a female a chance. Listen to what all the candidates say and do. Judge them on their experience and their record. Put aside the petty, snide remarks and focus on the candidates. records I have tried to do this and after a lot of research and soul searching I would go for either McCain or Clinton. Both of these individuals are straight shooters and stick to their beliefs. I would be happy to have either one of these serve as the next president of the United States of America. They have the experience and the commitment to make America strong again. They have the ability to lead us to a balanced budget, provide better health care for all Americans, keep our military strong and America safe, settle the imigration problem, implement an enviormental program that will clean up our air polution, provide for the betterment of all Americans including the poor, the middle class and the wealthy and ward off a recession. Please do not let pettiness and partician politics keep us from voting in one of these qualified candidates. Think for yourselves, weight the issues and quit this bickering among ourselves and about the candidates. Go out and vote for the candidate who will serve America the best. Do not let sex, race or political affiliation determine how we vote. VOTE FOR THE CANDIDATE WHO HAS THE EXPERIENCE, THE KNOWHOW TO MAKE CHANGE HAPPEN AND THE DETERMINATION TO LEAD AMERICA TO ITS GREATEST DAY! Vote either Clinton or McCain as either would do a fantastic job!

January 7, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |