January 7th, 2008

Edwards makes closing pitch in one-minute ad

(CNN) - John Edwards is making his closing argument in New Hampshire, airing a one-minute spot in a state where the fight between his two chief Democratic rivals has dominated voters’ attention.

Edwards is running a distant third among Granite State Democrats in the most recent CNN/WMUR poll with 16 percent support, behind Barack Obama at 39 percent and Hillary Clinton at 29 percent. He finished second in the Iowa caucuses, behind Obama and barely ahead of Clinton.

New Hampshire voters head to the polls Tuesday.

“I may be an underdog in this campaign, running against two candidates with $200 million between them,” says Edwards. “But the real underdogs are the middle class and the voiceless in this country, losing ground while CEOs pocket million dollar bonuses. And corporate lobbyists get their way in Washington. Exxon Mobil rakes in record profits, gets government handouts, and gas prices go through the roof.

“At the same time, 200,000 veterans, men and women who wore America’s uniform, will sleep tonight under bridges and on grates. We cannot simply replace a bunch of corporate Republicans with a bunch of corporate Democrats.”

He adds, “I know who the underdogs are in this fight. I know that the fight to save the middle class will be an epic battle, and I will never give up.”

Edwards has made his willingness to take on corporate interests a central theme of his presidential run.

–CNN’s Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: John Edwards • New Hampshire
  1. Barbara

John Edwards deserves more attention from the press than he has been given. He was the #2 choice in Iowa and should be given more coverage than Hillary. I don't begrudge him his wealth; he earned it with a lot of hard work! We need someone like him who would be able to negotiate with foreign leaders and not cave.

Thank you John for running.

January 7, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  2. M. Lou Madison, WI

I've done a 180 on Edwards since he last ran for president. Once Biden dropped out, I started going back over Edward's platform. Where in 2004 I thought he was a plastic politician, I now realize he does care. His message is the correct one. If he doesn't get the nomination, I hope he'll be the Attorney General. I trust him. I know he will fight for us.

However, his comments about "ATT being a good corporation" makes my blood boil.
    If he were to come out and commit to the following, it would go a long way towards guaranteeing my vote:
    1) Break up the monopolies.
    2) Get rid of "personhood" for corporations.
    3) Give one speech where he doesn't mention the mill.

January 7, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. America Rising

Karen: Please see the article on Hillary's meltdown where it clearly states that John Edwards DECLINED TO COMMENT ON IT. His remarks were general statements about how difficult and stressful the job itself is and were not a commentary in any fashion about Hillary.

From the article on CNN's Political Ticker: "At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: 'I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day.'"

Let the inaccurate spin on events stop!!

January 7, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  4. Chris

i'm an immigrant and am very interested in politics , i've been following the last 2 presidential races , felt John Edwards is the best of the current nomination seekers from both the parties, everyone is talking about change and so forth actually he has a message for the common people, he wants to take on corporate gaints for the gain of the common man who can /might benefit , most imp things of today's common man are health care , education ..... , looks like he's fighting for that .

January 7, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  5. Julie, Atlanta, GA

Sooooo good to read the comments on this thread from soooooo many people WHO GET IT. John Edwards is THE most perfect candidate for America for so very many reasons...NOT LEAST is that he will always fight for US, the working men and women who built this country.

Aren't you sick of the rich getting richer, while we constantly get the shaft?

THEN TAKE A LOOK AT JOHN EDWARDS. http://www.johnedwards.com

He can and he will win...Please I hope America wakes up and supports this most extraordinary candidate. Hillary CANNOT win and Obama CANNOT win. Only JOHN EDWARDS CAN AND WILL WIN!!! You know that's the truth.

GO JOHN GO!!!

January 7, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  6. shannon schmidt

I'm voting for John Edwards !!!!! I pray he wins. We do not need another corporation junky who pretends they care about the people,and don't.I'm also angry. Because,I don't know if our people are smart enough to know a good thing when its right here in front of there face.to explain what I mean, we had Bush in our white house twice!!!!!! And YES it does matter where you get your money, and backing from. Look who Bush got his money and backing from. And who made recored profits wile you scrape to find enough to put gas in your car to get to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  7. cc

I would like to see more of Edward's.

I am really interested in seeing the media give us equal time seeing the candidates.

I am tired of only hearing about and from, the Clinton and Obama Camps.

Every one running should get the same time in the news coverage. I don't care what the polls show. I want to know about all of my options, not just the media's favorites. Which BTW does translate in to votes. The more visible they are the more familiar and more votes. That's why they spend so much money for ads.

I am so disappointed in the media.

January 7, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  8. "Animal"Tampa, Fla

Im like all of you... I think Edwards indeed has gotten a totally raw deal. The media wants to ride on this Obama and Hillary thing.. All this week, I kept seeing.. Hillary..Obama... Obama.... Hillary. I dont think Edwards had three minutes on tv .

I am appalled at cnn for the way that they have handled this.. I always thought candidates should have equal time.. and Edwards is not getting that...

I dont think Edwards will win New Hampshire.. But we need to get going with other states... Lets start phonebanking and do what we can to help John win some primaries..

He is our ONLY hope!!!

January 7, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  9. aware

I listened to Edwards, anger and all, until he did the "guy thing" with Obama at the last debate. I haven't listend to him since.

January 7, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  10. JA

I wish everyone could see all of the candidates in person. Just remember when they speak....is there any substance, is there any fight?
    Obama will unite us to make change. Us....you and me. He doesn't tell anyone how he would do it himself.
    Hillary has the experience but is it new enough to really change politics as they now stand?
    Edwards will fight for us. I have heard all three speak. Edwards got my attention, there was passion in his words. I will fight for you. Not I will unity you to make change as Obama states. I believe he and his wife have a mission to do as much for the country as they can for many different reasons. They never mention past events in their life like the death of a son or Mrs. Edwards illness( except to mirror insurance availability among people). I myself feel both those events drive the desire Edwards has to make a difference more so now than when he was a lawyer. Put the wealth aside....all the candidates have way more money than most of us. What drives them all...cut to the chase and really think about it before you cast a vote NH.
    I agree that some of the candidates get left out of the free press from major sources.

January 7, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  11. Lori Bluvas

Thank goodness the voters of New Hampshire have figured out John Edwards. The last thing we need is a blow-hard trial lawyer as our commander in chief. Frivolous lawsuits are destroying our schools, communities, and hospitals. John Edwards not only contributed to this problem but profited handsomely from it.

January 7, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  12. Steven

Is it just me or did it seem like a tag team event during the debate? Those guys could very well wreck serious havoc if on one ticket!

January 7, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  13. jeff

Edwards is a liberal version of Mitt Romney. They may only know how to keep polishing their ideas to an endless shine.

January 7, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  14. Adam Smith

Edwards message is real. If he dosnt get the nomination and another corporate butt kiss is elected America will experience some devasting problems when the higher profit( regardless of how it effects the public or the future of our nation) elites have their way.
    Greedy multinational corporations cannot be allowed to run rough shod over our democracy. They care nothing about the future of America or its citizens only the bottom line for the next two to five years. They can set up shop anywhere in the world so the have no patriotic duty to the U.S. They only seek to maximize their profits by any means, ethics has been tossed out along with good citizenship. Yet they get the same rights as a citizen. A citizen without a social concious.

January 7, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  15. patrick geraghty

ATTENTION ALL DEMOCRATS!!! want to really put your finger in the eye of the republican good ol' boys club,then vote for MR.OBAMA.can you imagine them having to deal with a black man as president for 4 years,jesus they'll hemorage from every port in their bodies.talk about shock and awe!!!

January 7, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  16. Concerned

Edwards is the 'only' passionate candidate that shows he really cares about the middle class. Folks, we need him badly. The middle class is rapidly moving towards the poverty class, thanks to corporate America and it's corporate politicians. Obama, if you listened very closely to him, said a bunch of nothing. It was all just rhetoric... nothing new and he certainly showed no passion!

I hope the folks in NH see these politicians for what they bring to the table. If you vote for Obama, or Clinton, you are voting to make coporate America richer and the middle class poorer. So choose!

January 7, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  17. Leslie

Edwards has my vote in Alabama

January 8, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  18. Jim Bethlehem, pa

Obama is now stealing Edwards message and running with it. I like edwards alot but he's dead in the water.. All of these polls in new hampshire showing him so far behind will cost him lots of votes on election day also. Even his supporters want their vote to count so I expect they'll go elsewhere. It's sad, but that's politics..

January 8, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  19. Mike Janczy, Washington, DC

It is about time John Edwards gets more attention. I hope a strong showing in NH will bolster his campaign. Edwards is the only one of the three top dems who can win in November. We must keep our eye on the prize!

Mike