January 7th, 2008

McGovern: Time to impeach Bush

Kucinich is encouraging his supporters to make their second choice Obama.

McGovern is calling for Bush and Cheney to be impeached.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – George McGovern, the Democratic Party's 1972 nominee for president, is calling on Congress to impeach President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney.

And in an editorial in Sunday's Washington Post, McGovern writes the case for impeaching the current president is "far stronger" than the case made against former President Richard Nixon - the man who soundly defeated McGovern in the general election match up.

"Bush and Cheney are clearly guilty of numerous impeachable offenses," McGovern writes. "They have repeatedly violated the Constitution. They have transgressed national and international law. They have lied to the American people time after time.

"Their conduct and their barbaric policies have reduced our beloved country to a historic low in the eyes of people around the world," he continued.

McGovern, a former three-term senator who ran for president on a fiercely anti-war platform, also called the administration's policy in Iraq a "a murderous, illegal, nonsensical war" in violation of international law.

"This reckless disregard for life and property, as well as constitutional law, has been accompanied by the abuse of prisoners, including systematic torture, in direct violation of the Geneva Conventions of 1949," he added.

But McGovern acknowledged there is little bipartisan support for an impeachment effort, blaming "superficial partisanship" among Republicans, and a "a lack of courage and statesmanship on the part of too many Democratic politicians."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Dick Cheney • President Bush
soundoff (1,331 Responses)
  1. Rock

Well, this makes me realize again that I can't lean on politicians.

January 8, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  2. Stations

Its more than JUST ANTI WAR ,MARK THE MORON FROM WILKES BARRE,CRAWL BACK INTO YOUR COAL SHAFT.

January 8, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  3. Kevin

It's about time that CNN started reporting on this issue. More and more prominent and level headed people are calling for impeachment hearings on both Bush and Cheney. The voices have been growing louder and louder every day yet CNN and the other main stream media organizations have continued to try and bury this story.

Everyone seems to have their excuses for why there shouldn't be impeachment hearings or how it is futile to even attempt it. However, what it comes down to is protecting our Constitution and the rule of law in our country. The President and Vice-President have broken the law. And they continue to do so every day. It is the sworn responsibility of Congress to hold them accountable and show the citizens (and the world) that the United States is still a republic that is ruled by law and not a monarcy (or a dictatorship) that is ruled by G W Bush.

January 8, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  4. mark wilkes barre pa

Hey stations,,,, original comeback,,, In the words of hillary clinton,,,, YOU HURT MY FEELINGS,,, did I hit a nerve with you ? the truth hurt ? moron is the only response you have ? no info as to why I'm wrong ? and why do you use real name and where your from so I can comeback with a stupid one liner ?

January 9, 2008 05:50 am at 5:50 am |
  5. mark wilkes barre pa

Stations,,, If you read my earlier post you would Know I realize its more than just anti war,,, I use my real name and where I am from as I welcome folks to show me where I am wrong. My anti war comment stands alone on this issue. thats why I did not include it in my original post. In your anonymous haste to degrade people you dont agree with you must of missed that,,, Have a nice day !

January 9, 2008 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  6. Jeremiah

Impeachment is necessary to refute the Administration's "Unitary Executive" theories before that dictatorial philosophy is allowed to be adopted by a future Administration. But, the national Democratic leadership apparently wants that power for themselfves and grassroots Republicans are too f&$#ing stupid to understand that. If a Democrat had committed the same litany of abuses against the Constitution that Cheney and Bush have, they'd be screaming for impeachment. But, they're too blinded by their irrational partisan loyalties to stand up for the Constitution. It's disgusting.

January 14, 2008 06:12 am at 6:12 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54