January 7th, 2008

Paul: 'Fox will suffer'

Watch Ron Paul on CNN's American Morrning Monday.

Watch Ron Paul on CNN's American Morning Monday.

(CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul is striking back at Fox News for excluding him from Sunday’s Republican primary debate in New Hampshire.

“I think this is an awful embarrassment for Fox to do something like this,” says Paul. “I think they are making a mockery of the whole situation and I think they are going to suffer for it quite frankly because they’ve lost all credibility.”

Paul registered 10 percent support in the CNN/WMUR poll of the state’s GOP voters released this weekend – putting him in a statistical tie for third with Mike Huckabee and Rudy Giuliani – and says this support should have secured him a spot in the debate, along with the fact that his campaign “raised more money than any other candidate on the Republican side in the last quarter.”

American Morning anchor Kiran Chetry gave Ron Paul a chance Monday morning to respond to some of the issues raised in Sunday night’s debate.

– CNN’s Emily Sherman

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. saul, austin tx

Mike from Atlanta:

So how do you suggest we run the Republic - according to you? To W? To me? You want to re-invent the Republic, again, based on what, on fear? You love life so much that you will become a slave for it? I guess that's your choice in a free Republic. I for one, choose differently - how about it, the rest of y'all?

Live free or die.

January 7, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  2. kellyk

It appears that the focus is on Hillary and Barak. Why so little about John Edwards? He is my choice for presisdent . He is very much in the race and I do not understand why he gets so LITTLE coverage from the press. All I hear is that Hillary got emotional. WHO CARES!!! Let's hear about everybody in the race and there ideas, not just the sensational moments of the day

January 7, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  3. Jeremy

Ron Paul is on to something here. You can tell by how badly Fox wants to exclude him. Revolutionaries are always considered dangerous, but I'm convinced this revolution is the last best hope for America.

January 7, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  4. Anonymous, Upstate, NY

Um yeah. Just b/c RON PAUL says it doesn't mean it's 'all-of-a-sudden a brand new idea'. Bingo! Fox News has NEVER EVER EVER had an ounce of credibility. Never. This just in: Fox News is crazy. Go Barack.

January 7, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  5. Mike S

It will be interesting to see how FOX spins their demise.

January 7, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  6. Chris in Silicon Valley

As I see more of Dr. Paul, I am amazed at his candor and politeness. I am not sure I could go up against some of the things he does and not lose my cool. For all the talk of Mike Huckabee's affability, I am surprised Paul does not get more credit here. (Popular election of the President does have some "charm" criteria, as Huck has shown everybody). Though no one ever mentions it, Dr. Paul does have a certain presence – not an actor, not a polished PR man, not an empty rhetoric mouthpiece. Rather, it is a smart, brave, deeply concerned man - a man who lets the fiery darts of insult and grandstanding just bounce off him - a doctor with a deep understanding of America's sickness and a good bedside manner. I love watching him speak.

January 7, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  7. Ron Paul Supporter

Boo hiss, Fox... vote Ron Paul!!!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  8. steven

I make my kids watch FOX news when I want to keep them occupied. All they need now is a juggling act between O'Rielly and Hannity.

January 7, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  9. Duncan, Richmond, VA

"I'm sick of hearing people cite to the Constitution like its the word of God. That piece of paper was written over two hundred years ago" – Mike

Mike, It is not the word of God, it is the LAW. If you want to change it, then there are methods available within it to do so. During the debates and forums, I have realized just how many people there are out there like you.. and that is why this country is doomed.

January 7, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  10. Gregory Richards

Looks like CNN will have another viewer as I will no longer watch Foxnews ever again!

As a life long registered republican, I will be sad to see them go.

This US Army Veteran will be voting for Ron Paul!

January 7, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  11. Mike, Atlanta

Saul from Austin,

I'm not suggesting that the Republic be run according to my whims, or yours either. The system we have elects people who then impose policies, regardless of what the Constitution says. They do what they have to do to get the job done. Even the Founders, after they were in Congress and the Presidency, passed legislation that was of questionable constitutional origin (again, the Alien and Sedition Act). They did this to protect the country from harmful political speech during a time of war. Even Washington crushed a rebellion of farmers who were upset at taxation. None of these guys actually followed the Constitution. Fast-forward to the Great Depression. FDR (a democrat) undeniably violated the Constitution in order to save the country from an economic depression. Various presidents of both parties, elected by the majority of the country, have expanded and promoted the War on Drugs (also unconstitutional since Prohibition required an Amendment) to protect society from the evils of drug use. Clinton sent troops into various parts of the world with vast American support but without an "official" declaration of war. Bush has done the same thing.

My point is that every president and congress we've had has, shall we say, stretched the Constitution a bit. Sometimes it is unnecessary but sometimes it is needed. This is one of those times. We need a strong leader (i.e., Giuliani – Mayor during 9/11) to protect us from Islamo-Fascism. And I don't care what tactics he has to use to get the job done. Unsavory tactics helped clean up NYC, and while some might complain about the tactics he will use as president, nobody will complain about being attacked by terrorists on his watch.

Rudy 2008.

January 7, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  12. Immigrant

Ron Paul is really the only candidate for change. He's also the only conservative Republican running against about 10 democrats ranging from socialist democrat (Obama) to moderate democrat(Romney/McCain/Huckabee). He's the ONLY true Republican in the race and he defaults to the constitution....either you have the capacity to understand the constitution and real conservatism or you don't its just really that simple. Paul is the only one for small government......having soldiers in 130 countries does not equal small. This country can either get back on track with Paul on the constitution or head towards socialism....its a pretty simple choice....if indeed Americans can handle their own constitution. At this point a vote against Ron Paul is a vote FOR the socialist democrats, the fringe republicans like Romney and Giuliani lost the midterm elections because of their ideas of big government, and high irresponsible spending and they will lose the presidency if they use that same rhetoric. Paul is the only one that can pull votes away from the democrats....thats just how it is.

I am a black Republican voter by the way.

January 7, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  13. Jose Card - Independent

Anybody that underestimates Dr. Ron Paul's following will be sorry for making a fool of themselves. Ron Paul is making history as we speak. FOX and CNN's unfair reporting or no reporting on Dr. Ron Paul is damaging to themselves.

CNN just added another story on Hillary and squeezed this story out of CNN's politicalticker page tonight. CNN is relentlessly trying to make Queen Hillary. They will fail miserably.

January 7, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  14. Louis Nardozi

When you're filling your car with $3 gas and buying some $2.65 a dozen eggs, remember who is running on stopping deficit spending. The war for oil is what caused prices for anything that eats grain to skyrocket. When THOSE prices rise, the fresh fruit seller raises his prices again, now you have some nice $5 a pound grapes in the market. Laugh all you want, it's YOUR money being spent. YOU'RE the one going to pay $250 a week for groceries. Still think Ron Paul sounds like a bad idea? He's the ONLY candidate, Republican or Democrat that is running on reducing your cost of living. Maybe you have plenty money. Me, I'm not so rich.

January 7, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  15. douglas bickford k.falls oregon

Whether you like him or not Ron Paul is the only candidate that wants to return this Great Country to the Constitution. None of them will dare touch the things he is going to do because they will lose their credibility.

The IRS and Federal Reserve are 2 things the founding fathers never wanted for WE the People.

If the current adminstration ie Bush/Clintons REMAIN or any other of these so-called presidential candidates win we won't have to worry about an elections BECAUSE they will nuke Iran because of 911.

For all you bush/clinton lovers out there here is a quote from Bush Sr. this is how he feels about us!

The American People, The BUD People, The Broke Useless and Depressed. We are the MPBs, Money, Power and Brains. As long as we keep food on the BUDSTERS tables, a roof over their heads, a car in their driveway and gas in their gas tanks to go to and from work. We can keep the BUDSTERS at bay.–President George H. W. Bush

Vote Ron Paul!
    2008

Douglas Bickford
    K.Falls, Oregon
    I believe in the Great Spirit and he has CHOSEN RON PAUL as next President of this Great Country!

January 8, 2008 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  16. MaryS

Ron Paul has my vote. Give me back my Constitutional freedoms! I am sick of the government (and FOX news) deciding what is in my best interest. I am perfectly capable of determining what I chose to eat, drink, drive, watch, attend etc… and really don’t need a government “sin” tax, regulation or mandate to protect me. Government employment grows while the national economy suffers. It takes vast numbers of government employees to enforce an ever growing number of government rules and regulations. Has anyone stopped to consider that when the government is waging a “war” on domestic issues like drugs, gun violence, and poverty, that the government is waging a war against its own citizens? It is time to stop supporting this dangerous self perpetuating government growth. Our Homeland Security measures scare me more than the threat of terrorist violence. Ron Paul is the only candidate who proposes significant changes that may result in a return to a less invasive more effective government.” Government exists to protect liberty, not to redistribute wealth or to grant special privileges. The lives and actions of people are their own responsibility, not the government's." - The Ron Paul Freedom Principles

January 8, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  17. Todd

I normally vote democratic, but I've been trying to get more info on Ron Paul. It does seem that some networks are denying this guy anytime to get supporters. There must be some motive to this considering he is a Congressman. Maybe he doesn't support issues that Fox doesn't want to be put to rest. If he were president I don't think we would be in Iraq; so what would Fox news have to put on the air for news, nothing. That's why they denied him publicity. They are making a mockery of our political system and they should be punished in a legal way. If not punished they should have another debate were Ron Paul get a chance to battle it out. If our choices of politicians is now decided by corporations then I do think it might be time to change things in United States.

January 8, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  18. No More Fox

Dr. Paul,

I have blocked Fixed Fox News and Fox's other stations on my cable. It's easy to do; just block Fox Fixed News the same way you block any other inappropriate, disgusting channel.

Fixed News(aka fox news) is always talking about "fair and balanced."
    HA HA HA. Only Fixed News would be so biased and partisan and still claim to be either fair or balanced.

NO MORE FOX IN MY HOME.

January 8, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  19. Cody Harding

OK, time to take the soapboxes from the children. It's time to listen in to the truth:

Ron Paul will ruin this country if elected. He has shown over the various debates that when asked a straightforward question, he buckles and retreats under his own flawed arguments. Gold standard, elimination of NAFTA, removal from the WTO, OPEC, UN, and NATO...

Do I really need to go on?

As for Fox News: Sure, they're a bunch of decietful conservatives who wish to blind and subvert the people from the truth using their biased opinions. Yes, they are usually wrong on many different accounts. However, they had a limited amount of space, which was 5 candidates. So, they chose the top 5 at the time.

If they conducted it now, Paul would have edged out Guiliani for the seat. But when the forum was announced, Guiliani led him by a margin of points.

Their refusal to let Ron Paul on the forum, due to space constraints, was about the only Fair and Balanced thing they have ever done.

January 9, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  20. Ozzy

Per this comment
    "Did anyone ever see V for Vendetta? Doesn't Ron Paul look like the crazy dictator guy in that movie? Scary!"

I think Ron Paul looks more like Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings.
    Give Gandalf a shave and a haircut and it's Ron Paul.

Paul knows the Federal Reserve is corrupt and will corrupt any who try to wield it.

Thats why he wants to destroy it and replace it with a sane monetary policy. The gold standard.

January 16, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  21. voiceofthepeople

FOX NEWS reportedly deleted Ron Paul’s key debate response from the last debate in a LIVE REBROADCAST they recently aired. How is it a LIVE REBROADCAST if you splice out that which you don’t want the voting public to hear? Like Ron Paul or not, this should disturb you in my humble opinion.

CAMERON: Congressman Paul, yet another question about electability.
    Do you have any, sir? There’s always the question as to whether or not…
    (LAUGHTER)
    … you are, in fact, viable. Your differences with the Republicans on the — with the rest of the Republi-cans on this stage has raised questions about whether or not you can actually win the Republican nomi-nation, sir.
    PAUL: Well, we’ve only had two little primaries so far. So it’s pretty premature to decide which one is going to be the candidate.
    But, you know, when you think about it, if you measured everything I’ve ever said, every vote I’ve ever taken against the Constitution, you know, I’m a strict constitutionalist.
    Are you suggesting the Republicans should write me off because I’m a strict constitutionalist? I’m the most conservative member here. I have voted, you know, against more spending and waste in govern-ment than anybody else.
    (APPLAUSE)
    So you’re suggesting that I’m not electable and the Republicans don’t want me because I’m a strict fiscal conservative, because I believe in civil liberties? Why should we not be defending civil liberties and why should we not be talking about foreign policy that used to be the part of the Republican Party?
    PAUL: Mr. Republican Robert Taft didn’t even want us to be in NATO and you’re saying now that we have to continue to borrow money from China to finance this empire that we can’t afford?
    Let me see if I get this right. We need to borrow $10 billion from China, and then we give it to Mushar-raf, who is a military dictator, who overthrew an elected government. And then we go to war, we lose all these lives promoting democracy in Iraq. I mean, what’s going on here?
    (APPLAUSE)
    And you’re saying that this isn’t appealing to Republicans? Where did this come about? I think this is the Republican message. I defend the platform. It used to say we’d (inaudible) the Department of Education. It doesn’t say that now.
    We, as Republicans, went and doubled the size of the Department of Education, so where have we gone? I think we’ve lost our way. And then the insinuation that I am less Republican because of that?
    HUME: Congressman, thank you very much.

In response, the official Ron Paul 2008 Campaign blog asks,

“…how could any semi-reputable news source cut a presidential candidate’s answer in a debate? And how could a network that hundreds of thousands of conservatives trust delete the most forcefully conservative, Constitutionalist, anti-statist answer that any candidate gave that night?”

January 18, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |