January 7th, 2008

Romney to make closing argument in two-minute ad

Kucinich is encouraging his supporters to make their second choice Obama.

Romney is set to make his closing argument in New Hampshire Monday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican Mitt Romney has purchased two minutes of New Hampshire airtime Monday night to make his closing argument in the key primary state that could make or break his presidential hopes.

In the two-minute spot, Romney stresses his "change" theme that has been central to the closing stretch of his campaign, suggesting his chief rival in the state, Arizona Sen. John McCain, is a longtime Washington insider unable to fix its entrenched problems.

"There's a tide of change sweeping New Hampshire and America," Romney says in the ad. "Everywhere I go people say Washington is broken. And they know that those who've spent their careers in Washington can't change Washington."

"It's long past time to bring real change to Washington," he continues. "That's never going to happen if all we do is send the same people back to Washington to sit in different chairs."

Most recent polls indicate McCain has a slight edge over Romney with a day to go to the first-in-the-nation presidential primary. A CNN/WMUR poll released Sunday night showed the Arizona senator up 6 points over Romney.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mitt Romney • New Hampshire
  1. capecodder

I don't understand the negativity about so called flip flopping. Why is it worng for a person to change his ir her mind about an issue as they become more educated about that issue? To me changing your mind shows a willingness to learn and move forward.

January 7, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  2. CC

Allie, I'm not sure if you are for real or what or just trying to "stir the pot, but I hope that your man, Huckabee, keeps his religious scare tactics and snide remarks about Mormons OUT of the election. Since the LDS religion regularly sends out a statement to be read from the pulpit about POLITICAL NEUTRALITY in any election, we aren't familiar with "preachers" using the pulpit or other church gathering to influence our votes! We are to decide ourselves not to be influenced from preachers or religious people. Unfortunately Mr. Huckabee has made me view him as a "slick willy" when he, as a Baptist minister, says he doesn't know much about Mormons and then throws in a question that is controversial to his evangelicals. He then apologizes........BUT the "damage" or purpose has been achieved. Mitt graciously accepts that apology....what else can he do? BUT I don't buy it. He is using religion, NEGATIVE religious innuendos (and he's crying about negative ads on his record in ARK??) to gain ground over Mitt. SLICK WILLY. I was open to him until I saw him using his religion and then slickly slamming the Mormons. No, thanks! McCain's snide remarks are a great turn off as well.

January 7, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  3. Allie

I've not "repented" or had a change of heart. Someone else posted using my name. That is what Godless people will try to do to save themselves and a religion they cannot defend.

Would all of you who cry foul because I have to courage to point out God's way still do so if Mitt were a Muslim? If religion truly didn't matter we would be electing a Muslim president (since they to "believe in God"). Thank goodness no one here seems crazy enough to want that...but would that be next? Would we have a call to prayer in the morning? Would we change the pledge to one nation under Allah? No, best to stop this now. Let's keep God in America!

Down with Devil-Romney!

January 7, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  4. Don

Anyone who thinks that Romney could be elected president needs to go to youtube.com and type "Mormon underwear" in the search box. No joke! The Mormon church has issued Mitt (and all Mormons who have been married in the temple) special secret underwear that they are never to remove. They believe that the underwear have special powers and will protect the wearer. Seriously, I am not kidding. Check it for yourself. This mandate can be found in the Mormons official Doctrines and Covenants. Add this to Mitt believing he will become God and get his own planet with a harem some day and to his believing that our "current God" used to be a Mormon and now lives on planet Kalob with his own harem and you have an unelectable candidate. The Republicans are being too kind about this. That will come back to bite them if Mitt wins. The Democrats will tear him to shreds. I'm sure that Mitt means well and is a nice guy but if the Republicans elect him, they have just put a Democrat in the White House.

January 7, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  5. Debrar

"ON TO VICTORY":

a need to watch video!

January 7, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  6. Debrar

Don:
    If you're interested in correct facts and beliefs about the "Mormon" church (The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints), access: http://www.mormon.org

When you document as you have, you are either trying to deceive people, or you have been deceived yourself. Get things in context, get rid of falsehoods, and speak the entire truth.

Romney for PRESIDENT! We are NOT elected a religious leader, although we are elected a person of morals and values. Someone needs to tell Huckabee this as well.

January 7, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. jhbretsc

Hey Don, if you like to watch YouTube, watch what Jim Cramer says about Mitt Romney! He stated he is the smartest business man in America and is the most qualified candidate in the race who can turn this county's economic mess around. People are saying we're heading for a recession........if we don't get someone in the White House who can make a difference, we'll be heading into a depression!

January 7, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  8. Jonathon F.

Oh dear, I'm weighing in.

I'm sorry Allie, when I read the first "apologetic" posting under your name, I figured right off that someone was using the same handle. Unfortunately, I was correct. Have you studied Islam? It's actually a remarkable religion, much like Judaism, Christianity (in all of it's stripes, including Mormonism), Hinduism, Buddhism, pick a mode of belief. Would we be bowing to Mecca 5 times (I think 5) a day? No. But I would be just as comfortable having a devout Muslim as a devout Mormon, as a devout Christian in the White House. Why? Because all of the above mentioned religions, as well as many others I haven't listed, inspire people to reach higher, achieve more, and better their lives and those around them. I hope that yours does too, and that you follow it someday.

January 7, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  9. Shelly

Mitt is a great candidate for president. He is the real deal. Those who post personal attacks (his hair, his money, his persona) are exposing your shallow side.

Those of you picking apart his religion, go ahead, put yours on the table, we can find a thousand things wrong with it. Stop with the religious bigotry. What religion is the current president? How much do you love him? Compare your life of "service" with Romney's and I'll bet you come up short. He's an incredible individual who deserves credit for his contributions.

If you didn't know, his dad started as a "car salesman" and worked his way up from there. He paid for Mitt's education, but after that, Mitt made the millions on his own. How can you criticize him for his wealth? Have you been criticized for your hard work and rewards?

Obama is another diamond in the rough. America really needs a great individual at the helm. Let the best one win, in the meantime, let's play fair with the criticisms.

January 7, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  10. Mark

Don,

Why are you looking at people's undies on UTube?
    You are a sick man/woman.

I'm not Mormon, but I think I'd rather know one of them than someone like you who is interested in looking at someone's panties on UTube.

Go McCain!

January 7, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  11. KD Zuch

To all those who post half truths and misinformation, I think you all have "dizzying intellects." Please take the advise of those who suggested you do your homework and please take time to think about what you'll say and whether it passes the "laugh test."

This election (and all elections) should not be about religion – we're not voting for our favorite minister! Elections should be about which person is best qualified to lead the "land of the free and the home of the brave." So, let's move past the subject of religion and on to more important issues.

January 7, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  12. Scott, Milwaukee, WI

Yes indeed.

Mitt Romney is the ultimate candidate of change. That's why he constantly is changing his position on every issue.

"I'm Mitt Romney and I approved and disapproved this message."

January 7, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  13. Go McCain!

I agree with Derek. McCain is a true war hero... the only one running!
    I am really disgusted with all of the hateful conversations on this blog, WOW! I doubt any of these candidates would want to represented in that way.

January 7, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  14. Mike, Atlanta

I agree that McCain is a war hero – a cold war hero. Why that makes him qualified to lead America in the post-cold war age against Islamo-Fascism I have no idea. McCain is trying to fight Vietnam all over again. Rudy Giuliani (mayor during 9/11) is also a war hero – and he fought the war on his home turf. Only Giuliani can steer this country through the chaotic times ahead. Based on his performance in NYC, both before 9/11 (fighting crime) and afterward show that he will do whatever it takes to get the job done. Say what you will about his personal life or his stance on gays/abortion – Giuliani is a tough SOB and that's exactly what we need right now.

Giuliani 2008.

January 7, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  15. Shawn

Check it out: http://www.evangelicalsformitt.org

Go Mitt!

January 7, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  16. James McClintick

On the eve of this extraordinarily important primary election, it is absolutely critical that we remember how shameless and phony Mr. Romney is. To call him a flip-flopper is to understate the degree to which he has tailored his message to the perceived orientation of voters. In the span of just three years, he has radically–and conveniently–altered his positions on the following issues: (1) abortion; (2) gays in the military; (3) gay civil unions; (4) gun control; (5) campaign finance reform; (6) citizenship rights for illegal aliens; (7) a no-taxes pledge; (8) school choice; (9) pre-emptive war; and (10) various environmental issues. In addition, he spent most of the 1990s distancing himself from the policies of the Reagan administration and proudly holding himself out as more of an independent political reformer than a true Republican–all as part of his failed Senate bid. Now, after reversing positions on, at the very least, the 10 enumerated items above, he is accusing his rivals of not being true Reagan Republicans...all while ridiculing the liberalism of the very people who made him governor of Massachusetts. To make matters worse, he has blatantly lied about having been a lifelong hunter, having been endorse by the N.R.A., and having seen his father march with Martin Luther King. Need I go on? I hope and pray–and trust–that the voters of New Hampshire will think carefully about all of this, and exercise their democratic powers to end the aspirations of this unprincipled, desperate, and deceitful fraud of a man. It is simply essential.

January 7, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  17. rmkc

Has anyone else noticed Bill Clinton standing in the background while Hillary is talking? In the past week or so, I thought I saw a slack jawed, tongue chewing sign of physical senility. This is not just campaign dissing, I'm serious. Anyone?

January 7, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  18. CC

Thank you, Shawn, for the link to evangelicalsformitt.org. I appreciate what I have read so far and am just getting started. As LDS, I don't want to read only from an LDS perspective. I want to read balanced articles based on truth. Thanks again!!

January 7, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  19. Debrar

This is from Rush Limbaugh:

Iowa is a caucus; it’s a weird setup. New Hampshire allows independents to vote in the Republican primary, which is why McCain is doing as well as he is doing, and it’s why the media want this to be a bellwether against Romney. I mean, Pat Buchanan came in second. He came in a very strong second in New Hampshire in 1992. Now, I’m not saying that these contests are not to be taken seriously here, and that they’re not to be fought and to be won, but we don’t want to get ahead of ourselves. New Hampshire is no longer the conservative barometer it used to be. The state has changed, it is now quite liberal. A lot of people who used to live in Massachusetts have moved into New Hampshire to escape New Hampshire’s high taxation and other problems. New England generally the northern states, states like Iowa, is not where the conservative base resides in large numbers. The Drive-By Media would love to destroy the conservative coalition. They would love to destroy the conservative base to the Republican Party. That’s why they are promoting Huckabee; it is why they are promoting McCain.

January 7, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |