January 7th, 2008

Struggling GOP candidate to stay in the race

Hunter has struggled in the crowded GOP presidential field.

Hunter has struggled in the crowded GOP presidential field.

(CNN) – Underdog GOP presidential candidate Duncan Hunter lashed out at "knucklehead media executives" who did not include him in this weekend's New Hampshire primary debates, telling reporters he was staying in the race despite widespread expectations he would announce his withdrawal.

The conservative California congressman criticized debate organizers at FOX and ABC for not extending him an invitation when "guys with zero delegates" like Rudy Giuliani and John McCain were allowed to participate in the events, saying they "decided my campaign was over, and the lights would be shut out on my campaign.

"So here's my answer: I'm not going to quit. I'm staying in."

Hunter won a single delegate in Wyoming’s Republican presidential caucuses this weekend, but is barely registering in Granite State polls, and has faced persistent campaign cash woes. Debate organizers have said he was not extended an invitation to this weekend's events because he did not meet their minimum polling and fundraising standards for inclusion.

(Item updated to include Hunter's afternoon remarks.)

–CNN's Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire
  1. Brian

Sad, I feel bad for the guy. he's a good guy, but no one really listened to him. Sorry man. ( I don't even know what your name is) it's just the name recognition thing, I'm sure if we knew you more, you would be a good candidate.

January 7, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  2. Robet

His major announcement...he is quitting the race. More room for Romney to win.

January 7, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  3. Ed,Ellenville,New York

Good riddance to bad rubbish. I guess his contributors wised up.

January 7, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  4. Scott Austin, TX

This guy was running for president?

January 7, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  5. Joe

"Bad Candidate, No Donut!"

January 7, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  6. Claude, Calgary

Who is this guy.
    Does he support Obama????

January 7, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  7. DR

One more person out of Rudy Giuliani's way. The bigger fish are next...

January 7, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  8. Sterling

I like Duncan alright. But, it is nice to trim down the candidates to the actual contenders. So, what happens to the one delegate he won? Anything?

January 7, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. AJ, San Diego, CA

the only true conservative

too bad
    he is a good man

January 7, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  10. Robert, Washington DC

I hear he will be endorsing Ron Paul

January 7, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  11. American Boy

Why is anyone worrying about this guy? He never had a chance.

January 7, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  12. livvia

maybe endorsing paul?

and to AJ – Hunter, The only true conservative? Guess you don't know much about Ron Paul?..hell, he's endorsed by barry goldwater.. true legendary conservative

January 7, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  13. Karen

Why are you mentioning Duncan Hunter? Is he voting for Obama too? He must have seen the light and decided he could do more good for the country campaigning for Obama. Obama? Obama, Obama, Obama. Oh, Obama Obama'd. Obama is Obamaing Obama. Once Obama Obama's Obama, OBAMA will Obama Obama. Obama!!!!! When will Obama Obama? I hope Obama Obama's Obamaing Obama does Obama Obama. Never Obama Obama as Obama Obama Obama. In Obama case Obama I Obama wasn't Obama clear, Obama will Obama before Obama evers Obama Obamaing. So there!

January 7, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  14. Steve, Landing, NJ

Ajay Jain–

Democratic nomination wrapped up? For who? The latest Rasmussen polling indicates that Clinton's lead over Obama in national polls, which was 17 points before Iowa, is now.... 4 points. Clinton's all but written off New Hampshire, and we know South Carolina won't be good for her. Her only chance to regain momentum before Super Tuesday is Nevada. She might pull it back, her slim national majority might hold out, but it's going to be a hard road for them both. The idea that Clinton is going to run away with the national win is gone.

January 7, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. Matt

Oh, I know, I know, pick me!

He announces that he's reflected on his life and his faith and decided to stop using his religion for political advantage and will start to actually embrace what Jesus had to say?

January 7, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  16. Danny

Hunter conservative? Not really....

Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent.

Real conservatives protect liberty.

Would be wrong to pledge never to raise taxes. (Nov 2007)

Q: Would you promise to the people watching this right now, that you will oppose and veto any efforts to raise taxes as long as you're president?

A: I probably voted for more tax cuts than anybody here; but, I think it would be wrong to say, "Absolutely, I would pledge to Grover Norquist that I would never raise taxes." Could have a national emergency.

Rated 58% by NTU (National Taxpayers Union), indicating "Satisfactory" on tax votes. (Dec 2003)
    Getting better though with 62% as of 2006

Top three for taxpayer's and conservatives' friend?

Flake Arizona A 92% 1
    Hensarling Texas A 86% 2
    Paul Texas A 84% 3

January 7, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  17. nitpicker

Campaign 2008: Now with 1/4th less crazy!

January 7, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. chris

"Obama? Obama, Obama, Obama. Oh, Obama Obama'd. Obama is Obamaing Obama. Once Obama Obama's Obama, OBAMA will Obama Obama. Obama!!!!! When will Obama Obama? I hope Obama Obama's Obamaing Obama does Obama Obama. Never Obama Obama as Obama Obama Obama. In Obama case Obama I Obama wasn't Obama clear, Obama will Obama before Obama evers Obama Obamaing"

hahahahahahahaha

January 7, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  19. Mark

Thompson is next.

January 7, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  20. David S.

Say goodbye to the candidate who's only claim to fame was that Ann Coulter endorsed him.

This is the man who said he would never apologize for anything America does, no matter what. It is immature to assume that everything America does is right, and will automatically bring about good in the world.

January 7, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  21. erik t

at this point I ask 'Who?'

January 7, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  22. ralph johnson

I heard the announcement was that he was going to throw his support behind Obama for president......Way to go!!!!

January 7, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  23. Claude, Calgary

I didnt know who this guy is and now I do.
    I love that statement during his press conference.
    I agree dont let those knuckle heads in executive offices in New York ABC or FOX try to squeeze you out.
    Don't let Big Brother machines for Guiliani and Cinton rob you..... fight kicking!!!!!

January 7, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  24. Mr. X

"He did not qualify for either of the state's official GOP primary debates over the weekend."

Correction: There was only one official GOP debate over the weekend. The New Hampshire GOP officially withdrew their support of the Fox News forum because Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter were excluded.

January 7, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  25. Jesus

Mitt hopefully will win in NH. The media and the dems know that McCain's last chance is in NH so they are trying to encourage voters with their polls that McCain has it won but the truth will be told at the ballet box tomorrow. If Mitt wins then the real conservatives and independents will have been heard.
    The media and dems would like McCain to be the winner and nominee in 08′. They know that another senior senator (Bob Dole -1996) who is very pro-war would get crushed by Obama. Mitt is the only hope for lower taxes, solving the illegal aliens and not wasting the victory in Iraq. Pulling out of Iraq in 12 months because of a campaign promise (Obama/Oprah) is not good for America.
    Please do not let McCain team up again with Kennedy to let illegals pay a fine to stay in the USA!

January 7, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |