January 7th, 2008

Struggling GOP candidate to stay in the race

Hunter has struggled in the crowded GOP presidential field.

Hunter has struggled in the crowded GOP presidential field.

(CNN) – Underdog GOP presidential candidate Duncan Hunter lashed out at "knucklehead media executives" who did not include him in this weekend's New Hampshire primary debates, telling reporters he was staying in the race despite widespread expectations he would announce his withdrawal.

The conservative California congressman criticized debate organizers at FOX and ABC for not extending him an invitation when "guys with zero delegates" like Rudy Giuliani and John McCain were allowed to participate in the events, saying they "decided my campaign was over, and the lights would be shut out on my campaign.

"So here's my answer: I'm not going to quit. I'm staying in."

Hunter won a single delegate in Wyoming’s Republican presidential caucuses this weekend, but is barely registering in Granite State polls, and has faced persistent campaign cash woes. Debate organizers have said he was not extended an invitation to this weekend's events because he did not meet their minimum polling and fundraising standards for inclusion.

(Item updated to include Hunter's afternoon remarks.)

–CNN's Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire
  1. Mammaw

I would never ask anyone to vote for someone they hadn't researched. What I do ask is that before you write Duncan Hunter off you research his military history, his voting records and his NumbersUSA immigration report card. He is the only one in the race, Democrat or Republican, who has an A. Check his stance on trade agreements. Especially with China. And we all know the problems with China and their dangerous imports. I too had never heard of Duncan Hunter and didn't really care. Then someone asked me to do the same thing I'm asking of you all. Just check him out. You may just like what you discover. Go Hunter!

January 7, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  2. Lev Klinemann, Redondo Beach CA

I don't like Duncan Hunter, and would rather jump into the Grand Canyon than vote for him, but keeping him or anyone else out of the debates is criminal.

Both, Duncan Hunter and Denis Kusinich got screwd.

January 7, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. msbobbie

Fred Thompson is another member of the Council on Foreign Relations. He enjoyed flirting with the media for nearly 7 months, and postponing his official announcement at least 4 times. Within the last week I heard him drawl "I want to be president but I don't like campaigning"

I don't think he would make a very good President. How long would it take him to make a crucial decision? What if after winning the prize he decides he doesn't want it after all?

My respect for Duncan Hunter increased today when he called the executives of ABC and FOX 'knuckleheads' and firmly told the nation 'I AM NOT GETTING OUT!"

January 7, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  4. AuntieEm

That would be at http://www.gohunter08.com

He has also been working hard to get Ramos and Compean set free from the beginning of that debacle.Don't let MSM decide who we even get to hear.

January 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  5. Jeremy

I find it interesting (infuriating) that Ron Paul was also excluded from this N.H. debate despite the fact that he took 10% of the vote in Iowa AHEAD of supposed golden boy Giuliani, who only got 4%. Something smells foul in mainstream medialand. Vote for freedom. Vote Ron Paul.

January 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  6. Steve, Lyons, CO

"One more person out of Rudy Giuliani's way. "

This is humorous. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but Giuliani's campaign is already over. A lying anti-family fake conservative couldn't win if he/she tried.

If Giuliani was the only one on the ballot, a write-in candidate would win.

Rudy stands for absolutely nothing but Rudy.

January 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. Amy

If you haven't heard of Duncan Hunter, shame on you. Get better informed. You can't just rely on the media to tell you what to think and do or for whom to vote. Do you really think they'll give you the true story without bias?

Visit Duncan Hunter's website. Read about him. See if he would be someone you'd vote for.

Duncan Hunter would be a great president, in my opinion. Look into it for yourself.

January 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  8. Santosh-Phila

I have researched Dunc Hunter and more the reason I would never vote for him. He is a lot like Tancredo except thta he is so much more protectionist that he really belongs in the Democratic Party with John Edwards.

He was one of just 2 Congressmen that tried to hold up the intelligence bill that the President passed right after his re-election and the only reason was because Hunter has a constituent thta would lose business as a result of it. Anyone who plays politics like that with sensitive national security issues like this does not belong in the republican Party. There's plenty of that to go around among the Democrats.

I'm glad Hunter was excluded. He gives the GOP a bad name.

January 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  9. chinshihtang

I saw on TV a listing of the results a recent NH Republican poll. The last two in the standings were shown as follows:

Hunter, Thompson - 1% .

This brought to mind one of our most original political commentators, who died not so long ago: a salute to you, Hunter Thompson!

At least this way Hunter's presence in the race serves a purpose....

January 7, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  10. Darth Vadik, Diamond Bar CA

what is wrong with some of you conservatives, the only true conservative, yeah right, like the only true God or only true religion, or any true other thing.

Its allways the true one if we agree with it.

Here are some facts:

Duncan Hunter is a nut job,
    Ron Paul is a nut job,
    Huckabee is a nut job (for the most part)
    McCain is the that man fell of a nut tree and hit every branch
    Mit Romney is just freaky (if you like this guy you must be in some serious SM stuff)
    Giuliani is just plain evil,
    Fred Thompson is probably the conservative conservaive, but he's sooo boooooorrring

and livvia,

get your facts straight, Barry Goldwater is dead (so is his party, deal with it), the Goldwater that endorsed Ron Paul is Barry Goldwaters JR,

OH GOD, NO WONDER WE KEEP ELECTING PEOPLE LIKE BUSH

January 7, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  11. Eleanor Bauer

Sorry about Duncan not doing better, nor able to be in the debate. If it's any consolation, although I am a strong Huckabee supporter, You actually scored highest when I took a survey on the issues. You are a good man, and I was thinking you might make a good VP choice (or maybe Secretary of Defense).

January 7, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  12. Darth Vadik, Diamond Bar CA

Eleanor Bauer,

Duncan Hunter as a Secretary of Defense?

Are you out of your mind, do you want him to nuke the world.

January 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  13. wolly

The man is a PATRIOT. As are both of his sons. And about the only true conservative out there. He's got my vote till the end. PLUS: He doesn't give up and he doesn't let the media control him. I am even more impressed with him now.

January 7, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  14. Reuben Goldenstein

Who is Duncan Hunter?

January 7, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  15. Eleanor Bauer

Darth,
    You may be from the same state as Duncan Hunter, but I think it is a far stretch to think Duncan Hunter would Nuke the world. I believe he would protect the U.S., and keeping our citizens and country safe is first and foremost with all of our elected officials when they are sworn into office.

January 7, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  16. Dee

Good for him!!!! He is absolutely correct. The Media is running this campaign and deciding before we the people can hear what EVERY SINGLE CANDIDATE HAS TO SAY, regardless of their stupid polls or how they are positioned. I SAY SHAME ON THE MEDIA. The campaign process has really just begun. These media morans are already bringing the axe down?? Doesn't seem right for the American Voters. We should all be in an outrage for not being able to hear what every single candidate has to say or offer, whether we like their ideals or not. I don't care how much time these media morans have pieced out of the TV times. Let the times go over...........so what, LET ALL THE CANDIDATES PARTICIPATE in this process. That is suppose to be THE AMERICAN WAY. What ever happened to the AMERICAN WAY!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  17. kaks

Reuben, go to his website.

Find out where he stands on the issues. Take some of the little tests that are offered on the internet, and are probably included in some of the postings here and elsewhere as to who best represents what you want in a candidate. The tests are quite revealing.

January 7, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  18. fougasseu

He's a true conservative, a real patriot, with sons in the military.
    He'd be an asset in any administration. Terrific as the head of the VA, Homeland Security, or a variety of other key spots. Whether it's Kucinich, Paul or Hunter, the trashy treatment of men and women running for the presidency by the mainstream media is obscene. To think that a Wolf Blitzer or Roger Ailes can actually filter the voices of the candidates is terrifying.
    And how do you like the "instant analysis" of the debates, by oddballs like Dick Morris and Frank Lutz? Where is Kubrick when we need him?

January 7, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  19. Karen

To FL on the 29th 2:25.

Didn't like the Obama Obamad Obaming post?.......Get a sense of humor!

Is this better?

On 02/05 vote 9, Obama voted Yes on the Class Action Legislation (pro-corp/anti-consumer) that will leave some consumers with no legal recourse.

0n 03/05 vote 20, Obama voted against middle class debt-laden consumers when he voted No to a 30% cap on credit charges.

0n 06/05 vote 136, Obama voted Yes to the nomination of Thomas B Griffith. Thomas B Griffith disagrees with portions of title IX, even stated portions are morally wrong. Title IX, is case you didn't know concerns gender equity in schools.

On 09/05 vote 232, Obama voted against the middle class when he voted No to protecting the laws that provide safeguards form unfair trade. He also voted for the Oman trade deal. He has voted for alien rights and against increases in the base levels to be given to the states for homeland security 03/06.

All of these votes were in opposition to the Dems and in support of the Republican position. He votes with his party 96.4% of the time and has a 37.6% vote record.

How was that?

January 7, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  20. Laurinda

I am glad that Duncan Hunter is staying in the race. He is the best candidate out of all of them. He has remained cool, calm and collective, not like the rest of the candidates. If he doesn't win, then that is America's loss. I have seen him a few times on Lou Dobbs and he knows what he is talking about.

January 7, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  21. Larry Buchas, New Britain, CT

I don't agree with him on most issues. That being said, he has a son serving in Iraq. Give him some slack.

January 7, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  22. Michael

I find it Ironic that the Ron Paul supporters would Bash Congressman Hunter.

I find it ironic that Hunter is being blacklisted by the Media and the Ron Paul "Constitutionalists" have no problem with it.

I guess to Ron Paul supporters it's ok for the Media to take away Hunter's First Amendment rights?

I guess we should all be sheeple and let the media decide who to vote for.

Last time I checked. Hunter has a Delegate and is on the scoreboard.

Paul, McCain, and Guiliani do not. Also Huckabee doesn't have any Delegates yet either because he won a Caucus.

So the score is Romney, Thompson, and Hunter have Delegates.

Why is the Media Blacklisting Hunter?

January 7, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  23. David Conrad

HUNTER / THOMPSON '08!

January 7, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  24. Arkay, MI

If you listened closely to Hunter, he was calling the ABC executive a 'knucklehead' and not the Fox honchos who also kept him out too. He wouldn't want to offend 'The Base' (which is what Al Quaeda means by the way in Arabic), would he?

January 7, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  25. sass2411

Yeah! way to go DUNCAN HUNTER! The ONE man to do something about ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION years ago when he built the fence in San Diego! He IS the only TRUE conservative! I for one am not going to let the media and the big money tell me who i should vote for, i have a mind of my own! I will be contributing to his campaign.

January 7, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |