January 7th, 2008

Struggling GOP candidate to stay in the race

Hunter has struggled in the crowded GOP presidential field.

Hunter has struggled in the crowded GOP presidential field.

(CNN) – Underdog GOP presidential candidate Duncan Hunter lashed out at "knucklehead media executives" who did not include him in this weekend's New Hampshire primary debates, telling reporters he was staying in the race despite widespread expectations he would announce his withdrawal.

The conservative California congressman criticized debate organizers at FOX and ABC for not extending him an invitation when "guys with zero delegates" like Rudy Giuliani and John McCain were allowed to participate in the events, saying they "decided my campaign was over, and the lights would be shut out on my campaign.

"So here's my answer: I'm not going to quit. I'm staying in."

Hunter won a single delegate in Wyoming’s Republican presidential caucuses this weekend, but is barely registering in Granite State polls, and has faced persistent campaign cash woes. Debate organizers have said he was not extended an invitation to this weekend's events because he did not meet their minimum polling and fundraising standards for inclusion.

(Item updated to include Hunter's afternoon remarks.)

–CNN's Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire
  1. Paula

Hunter/Thompson 08

The media should be ashamed of their actions. No one should be excluded in the Presidential race. Americans should decide their choice, not the news outlets!

Duncan Hunter is one of the true Conservatives in the race!

January 9, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  2. Darrell

I can't wait to vote for Duncan Hunter. He has so many good ideas and has done so much for this country. He is truly the best candidate on either side.

January 9, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  3. ChazM

Duncan Hunter had the most conservative voting records. The sheeple who watch the 'news' from the broadcasts and CNN believe American Idol is important and they spend time trying to vote for a winner. Why not educate yourself, and once that is done adequately, discuss with intellect your views and why you support a candidate. Given the idiocy of the American public whose opiate is the television and youtube I'm not surprised that the most popular but least capable pols are getting their shot to be POTUS. Wise up.

January 9, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  4. ChazM

I didn't waste my vote in NH. I voted for whom I believe to be the best candidate. Duncan Hunter, I then wrote in Fred Thompson for VP...there was one candidate from Raymond,NH for VP or a write-in.

January 9, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  5. bill

Duncan Hunter is a solid man-gets things done-built the fence between California & Mexico. He is authentic-he maybe a little rough around the edges but he has military credentials and character and cares about keeping U.S. jobs and our military edge. Obama, Clinton, Edwards? Empty suits. McCain-a liberal as is Giuliani. Romney-a flip flopper. Huckabee-a Clinton/Bush clone. Duncan Hunter for president. Read his positions on the issues.

January 9, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  6. LJ

Duncan Hunter is the only person I would vote for at this stage in the game. Tancredo was the one person I thought could save this country. Hunter is the only other person I think can do the job well. Everyone else has already shown a past that is frightening.

January 10, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  7. ERIN ADAMS

Stay in and win Duncan Hunter ! It's about time this country has a solid, good man to run it ! You have INTEGRITY, Mr. Hunter, among many other good qualities, and that's something this country DESPERATELY needs. The moral and social state of our country today sickens me to death, and I'm only 33 ! This country NEEDS DUNCAN HUNTER. I would be proud to call you President, and I can't say that I am proud of any others. You have the values that our FOUNDING FATHERS had, and that is of utmost importance. All my support, Erin

January 10, 2008 07:43 am at 7:43 am |
  8. LG

I agree 100% with the comment made by ERIN. Stay in and WIN!!!

January 10, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  9. Dana Mason

I am a registered Republican and a Conservative. I have been saying all along that my vote is going to Duncan Hunter no matter how many times the liberal media tries to convince me otherwise. I've done my homework and believe his principles and values mirror my own. I think he'd make a great leader and the others pale in comparison.

January 10, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  10. Ami

I never here anything on any news stations about Duncan Hunter. He recieves very little air time, why? I had to find him myself on the web. I did catch the first couple of debates that he WAS in and I agreed with everything he said. I could actually sense that he was speaking the truth, and put things into a reality check. I would appreciate a NEWS STATION to provide me and you with true, real, news! I don't care to be shocked or suprised with tabloids or media hype. The NEWS should have journalists not the poporatzi. My vote also goes to Duncan Hunter as my first choice, Fred Thompson my second! I believe that these two would be strong leaders for our country, especially in these times. As for the media, they get an F in my grade book! I hope that they plan on bringing that grade up!!!

January 10, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  11. Linda Hansen

What a scarey future...with comments like Brian's "if we knew him better we might see he's a good candidate", you would think an intelligent person would check the facts regarding ALL candidates in a presidential election! There isn't one front runner good for America, good for the LEFT, but not America! Let the Socialists and corporations tell you how to vote and get ready for the European Union you will soon belong to. Oh while you're checking facts why don't you check the Executive orders made by Carter, Bush senior, Clinton, GW Bush, you'll be surprised to know it's all about to be taken away anyway. With Marxist professors why should anyone be surprised how our younger generations think, and to think we paid for their brainwashing!

January 10, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  12. Linda Hansen

Thanks Kaks you said it well!!! I also am ashamed of people like Rush and Glenn Beck with so much media power, knowing Hunter's a true Reagan conservative and the only one who fits a "true conservative" like Rush champions and not say hardly a word. You would think they would be shouting it from the roof tops. Makes you wonder??? I know Glenn has become a Mormon and Mormons support Mormons, but Rush? Don't forget the David and Goliath story, it's not about money or power, it's about who God allows for this hour. One for peace, one for chastisement, will definately get what we deserve!

January 10, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  13. Linda Hansen

Kaks, you just keep amazing me! Great intelligent comments, but alot of these would rather not be confused with the facts. Join NumbersUSA if you're against ILLEGAL immigration. Oh for some of the Californians...maybe they should give you back to the Mexicans like they're giving land to the Palestinians, compromise everything for peace and make the pacificts happy! I lived in the Central coast/wine country and the term "Fruits,Nuts and Flakes serves a great portion of the state!

January 10, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  14. Pete Swanson

The only true conservative candidate in the race. That and the fact I refuse to let the liberal mainstream media dictate who I should be voting for. This race is still not over, many people are still craving a Follow the Law , honest, America is not the whipping post for the world candidate. A change still can occur, Duncan needs to get some louder vocal cords though. Go Man go!!!

January 10, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  15. keleigh

Way to go Hunter... If you have not heard of him, maybe you should get off of your deadbeat hind end and start researching and thinking for yourself instead of waiting fot the big net works to feed you what they want you to know...

For the networks to deliberatley excude him should make you all a liitle nervous about the control the media has over your freedom to vote and to choose.

So if you have not heard of Duncan Hunter you are a spoon fed infant of the leftist movement in this country that wants to keep you uninformed and ignorant.

Think for yourselves people, don't let people dictate to you what they want. Educate yourselfs for a higher truth of freedom and diplomacy...

Gu hunter...

gohunter08.com

kw.

January 10, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  16. St Joseph Michigan

I am voting for Hunter..

January 10, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  17. Frank Schipani

It's a shame that we've allowed the media to select the people we choose from. In spite of being a good man, I think Duncan Hunter is the best candidate we seen in a long time. It's too bad more people haven't looked past the media and supported someone who'd make a great president.

January 10, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  18. Ben Elliott

Your foolish to think Duncan Hunter will drop out when he is the only candidate that did something about the border problems!

All the other candidates I haven't heard ofwhat they have done and what I hear is what they're supposedly going to do.

He has Chuck Yeager's endorsement and has some clout to stand up to the media while they try to black him out it should make you rethink who is really controlling things.

I'm not letting Iowa or New Hampshire votes determine who's in in or out. Super Tuesday is where you need to determine those things. The math will turn because their are some voters that actually research who's who vice going on a emotional whim to be apart of a circus which the media tries to shovel at you anyways!

January 11, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  19. Todd Rosenbaum

Ditto's to all who have that same distaste for excluding Duncan Hunter from virtually all media exposure and now from the debates as well. Duncan Hunter is as close to a Reagan conservative as I have seen and Michael Reagan would know, more so than his brother Ronnie.
    The first two debates I heard Hunter among the rest of the crowd, I was very impressed, especially since it was the first time ever seeing or hearing him. Then when I went to his website ( http://www.gohunter08.com/ ) and what I read and heard was very uplifting and sincerely motivating. The man is the real article and Honorable man in his marriage, military service as an Army Ranger in Vietnam, as a Congressman and even now as a candidate he is taking the high road, staying true and bending none of his principles to appease one group or another.
    Duncan Hunter is a man's man, leadership every American can stand behind with faith and pride. His life has been lived in such an honorable way that he has nothing to apologize for. A life lived that is one that most people hoped to have led.

January 11, 2008 05:39 am at 5:39 am |
  20. Susan

Duncan Hunter is our best choice for President. I agree with the guy who said that Duncan is the only true conservative candidate in the race. I refuse to let the liberal mainstream media dictate who I should be voting for.

January 11, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  21. Randy Dinwidide

The press has been paid off by certain entitys in my opinion. Mr Hunter is by far the most qualified for this position and I dont understand why the media would place him as an underdog.

Scrue the media...

Randy Dinwiddie

Missouri

January 11, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  22. G. W.

A man's man....that describes him exactly. He would get my vote....now we're hoping for Thompson/Hunter!

January 11, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  23. Tony

Why is this guy still in there splitting the conservative vote? I really wish he'd do the principled thing now: bow out and throw his support to Romney (the VIABLE conservative candidate in the race). As it is, the conservative voted remains splintered and we could end up nominating a LOSER like Mcaniac or Yuckabee...and in Nov the party base will stay home >:o

January 11, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  24. Donald

Oh my misguided children–excuse me–fellow Americans.

Duncan Hunter is the true conservative. His record speaks for itself. For you smucks that live in America, come on down and visit those of us that live in Northern Mexico/The Peoples Republic of California.

The war for the United States and our CULTURE, VALUES, and STANDARD OF LIVING is being fought here in San Diego along the border. You name it we see it-

**illegal aliens,
    **unfair trade practices,
    **hospitals closing because they can't pay their bills since the "migrant workers" use them as their clinics,
    **the finest public education system in the country 25-years ago reduced to schools overrun with bi-language, bi-culture, lower graduation rates and higher drop-out rates every year,
    **polluted oceans. THAT'S RIGHT, DO NOT GO IN THE WATER for at least 72 hours after a rain storm,
    **child molestors on the loose,
    **I challenge you to visit the Albertson's/Vons/Safeway in Calexico (Imperial County) on the day when food stamps are handed out–autos with Baja California plates loading up and headin' south ON YOUR DIME,
    **heck Arnold (the tradecoat) declared a fiscal emergency this week because the state is short $14 billion on the annual budget,
    **hard working, tax paying Americans called "RACISTS" whenever they attempt to bring up an issue to an elected official at the City, State, or Federal level...

and you smucks continue to spew your ideology!

WAKE UP AND FIGHT BACK!

Duncan Hunter is the only candidate willing to take on any issue.

WHY DO YOU THINK THE LAME-STREAM MEDIA CONTINUES TO SHUN HIM...the fix is in...but remember WE THE PEOPLE HAVE THE TRUE POWER!

We need to get off our duffs and take our Country back.

Stay in the race Duncan!

January 11, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  25. Linda Hansen

There you go, a perfect example of a Moderate Republican, Arnold Schwartznegger, given to us by Donald. How else would someone fit in with the Ted Kennedy clan? We've all but destroyed our Republican party with letting the moderates, like McCain, Julianna etc. controll OUR CONSERVATIVE party!!! Don't know if I spelled Arnold's lasy name correctly??, but you get my point I hope. I.m not working now ( a caregiver), but what few dollars I do have to spend I'm sending some Duncans way! It's not about how much, but if everyone who says they like him/supports him sends even $5. from every blog I've been reading he'll be in a good cash flow to get out the ad's and campaign. How about one less Latte from Star Bucks, which I believe supports the Democrats. It's time now for both information, action and DOLLARS! Let's make a BIG JOKE out of the media for a change, they think they've got this thing sewed up.

January 11, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |