January 8th, 2008

Last-minute decisions drive many, exit polls show

Many voters waited until election day to settle on their choice.

Many voters waited until election day to settle on their choice.

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - New Hampshire voters turned out in higher-than-expected numbers to vote in Tuesday's presidential primaries, with a sizable chunk making decisions on who to support at the last minute, according to early exit polls.

Eighteen percent of Republicans and 15 percent of Democrats said they settled on a candidate on Election Day.

A majority of Democrats said the issues were the most important factor in how they voted, while most Republicans said the candidates' personal qualities were most important to their decision.

Voters from both parties rated the economy their top issue and the war in Iraq second - but concerns about illegal immigration rated third among Republicans, while Democrats said health care was just behind Iraq.

Filed under: Exit Polls • New Hampshire
  1. Edwards 2008

Obama is a JOKE

Edwards for President!!!!!!!!!

January 8, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  2. carol

Obama is not a Joke. He's just not ready. Hillary is.

January 8, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  3. Susuviri

Barack Obama is NOT hot air, the problem is that many are enamoured by the romantic notion that they actually LIKE a black candidate and that 'he is appealing'. BUt Barack has some very interesting take on matters that has galvanized many. Instead of accusing Obama of having no substance, we could say that the coverage of Obama has been superficially.
    HIllary is stale bread, she has no more 'presidential' experience than Obama, Being First Lady does not qualify her for being ready for presidency. No more dynasties Clinton, Bush, Kennedy etc! Time to let in the underdogs!
    Bye bye HIllary! Go Obama Go!

January 8, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  4. Eric

All edwards talks abot is poor people and the fact that all the other candidate are spending too much money on campaigns when hes getting 400 dollar haircuts..........................hmmmm go figure

January 8, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  5. davidvoter08

Yes, Obama is a JOKE for sure!!!

January 8, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  6. Eric

I love how you people say hes a joke but have no way to back that up.

January 8, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  7. carol

We are Americans. Be fair – give people their due. Just don't inflate for some idealistic, romantic fairy tale. We need leadership not Camelot – everyone died at the Round Table.

January 8, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  8. Goran

GO OBAMA, GO Edwards and fight the lobbyist's greed!!!!

January 8, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  9. Edwards 2008

PULEAZE I would vote for that Hillary before all talk talk talk Obama anyday!

Edwards for Prez!!

January 8, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  10. Eric

And what did JFK bring with camelot................he brought leadership

January 8, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  11. Fred Brock

why is healthcare the big issue?. I know 37 million plus americans are w/o insurance. Don't those numbers include teenagers working part time jobs that decline coverage and those that don't want coverage?. Tired of that being "the issue". Specially when the conversation is framed as "Health Care Coverage". The problem with our health care system is the insurance industry. No body seems to want to address the fact that a huge portion of our personal income is going to insurance. I don't know about the rest of you, but, in my opinion, if you want to solve problems in healthcare then find a way to reduce the cost of health-care and not reduce the cost of medical coverage. At some point we have, as a nation, accepted "insurance" as the only solution. I think insurance and lawyers are the problem.

The insurance companies pay pennies on the dollar for procedures and medications that would cost you and I an arm and a leg w/o insurance. If the hospitals can afford to discount services and write off bills the way they currently do, why not reduce the cost to the consumer and allow us to pay for our health care in cash, instead of having a convoluted system, filled with administrative costs..Simplify the system and reduce some of the liability and you will reduce the overall cost of health care.

Additionally, just interested to know: How many people had health care related problems this year that would be solved by universal "coverage". My biggest problem right now is the 67 dollars it takes to fill my gas tank everyweek, and I drive a mini-van, or the fact tthe enconomy is going to crap again, or the fact congress is ripping off millions and millions of dollars from the american tax payer and this being done in both parties, constantly and the american public is just simply powerless to do anything about it.

Sorry to complain, but honestly "stealing" is "stealing. It shouldn't matter who did less of it. I always feel like I am voting for the lesser of two evils. What a shame. These "issues" are pointless and no matter who is elected president, they will do the same thing over and over, nothing. I think the best solution to our problems is elect both parties, one to each branch. This way it's grid lock in washington. We seem to benefit most when that happens.

January 8, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  12. carol

Obama ain't no JFK.

January 8, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  13. Vik-Thor

I find it disingenuous how you are displaying the pie charts on the Republican side. Giuliani and Paul have same %age (and less than 100 actual votes as of the time I am typing this) and you don't show Paul on the pie chart. (What, does your program not allow you to show 5 named slices?)

They both have more total votes than Richardson, who I bet you are only showing because he is 4th.

(I live in AZ. I have changed my registration to Democrat to vote for Richardson on 5 Feb. I am normally registered as independent, and will change back after the primary here. So I am not coming at this as someone for Ron Paul.)

Just because you don't personally like him is no reason to keep him off your chart. :p

January 8, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  14. Susuviri

Agree Carol, Obama ain't no JFK, he was not born with a silverspoon in his mouth, he is a self made man and doesn't have a rich daddy to back his campaign! Fairy tale, maybe his life story but that;s where the analogy stops. Bill Clinton is so nervous he is picking a fight with Lou Dobbs , for Goodness sake! Now he says Obama's policy on Iraq is fairy tale! Well, nice to see Bill finally showing his true colors!

January 8, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  15. Dre Atlanta

I am a african american when we going to stop haten on each other, I was going to vote for Hilary but now I am going to vote for Obama because he want to bring our country together as American. Stop looking at Barack Obama as a black man running for the White House. Obama is running for changes that all citizen of USA is American not because he black or Hilary is a women we need republican, demoncrats and independent to work together. My friends came to see me from London and they are Black. They ask me why do American people say they are black or white people. They told me that London black or white people say they are European people they are not divided by race. We all are American. Let show the rest of the World that we can all change the world that we are American that not divided what race we are. I do feel in my heart that God put Obama to change American to bring us together as one nation and that is United States of American.

American Love Barack Obama

January 8, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  16. John

Why cause hes black? or cause hes inexperienced oh wait JFK was too inexperienced did you know carol that theodore sorenson spoke in my town and he said that obama was the first candidate he supported since JFK and in case you didnt know hes the one who wrote the speech do ask what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country

January 8, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  17. Goran

"Edwards 2008" is probably Clintonite tring to smear the good relations between Obama and Edwards! Good try!

January 8, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  18. TOY

That's exactly what I said earlier..Vik-THor...We are in total agreement...I bet if Fred Thompson was at 8-9% his name will be on their pie chart...

January 8, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  19. Mark

Catherine Bombac, you have been blinded by the all the Clinton lies and cover-ups. We do not need another Clinton in the White House. She can not open her mouth without telling another lie. At least Obama is making a honest effort to tell America the truth, even though it is not what America's want to hear. Americans go about daily life with their heads in the sand and let the fools in Washington D.C. keep spending money on stupid pet projects, pass bills that mean nothing, hold hearings on topics they should never be involve themselves in. Hilary is about these stupid hearings and having government taking more freedoms and rights away from all Americans. We need an change and Obama is real chance for change in Washington D.C.

January 8, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  20. Anti republicans

Your all one sided no change kind a people conservatism will be americas downfall

January 8, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  21. Chris in Va.

Mrs. Clinton touts her 35 years of experience!?!? Last I checked her only elected post has been the Senator from New York, and she hasn't been that for 35 years. Let's see... maybe she is including her husband's two terms as president. Strange...when I check the list of presidents it doesn't say Bill and Hillary Clinton, and when she was chastized for for attempting to make policy during this time she disqualified herself by saying she just stayed at home baking cookies. So, please enlighten me. Where does the 35 years of experience come from? Also, concerning the "crying trump card" she tried to pull, if you think that was sincere, I have beach-front property in Arizona that may interest you......it was all I could do to hold down my lunch! Typical, if all else fails,cry, but at least make it look convincing!...What a PHONEY!!!!!! She is the poster child for whats wrong with American politics today, a liar that will stop at NOTHING to get elected.

January 8, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  22. carol

John, read the rest of my blogs. I am vehement that everybody take gender and race out of the mix. This is America. All people are created equal in their rights in my eyes. We need someone with experience to get us out of this mess. He's too fresh, they will eat him alive. JFK spent 14 years in the Senate and years in the 2nd WW. It was peace time and a different era.

January 8, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  23. carol

Chris – 35 years working in support of the underpriviledged. She and Bill could have been multi-millionaires many times over many years before they went to the White House. Stop believing the retheric. They have their faults, but selfishness is not one of them.

January 8, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  24. WTH Carol

you just think the best don't you carol do you want some kind of praise
    ?

January 8, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  25. carol

No praise needed. I live by the golden rule – do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If more people did, this world would not be so messed up. Give more then you get and be kind to everyone.

January 8, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |