January 8th, 2008
1 year ago

Obama: 'Still fired up and ready to go'

‘Still fired up’

Obama: ‘Still fired up’

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - Failing to parlay his win in last week's Iowa caucuses to a victory in the New Hampshire primary, Sen. Barack Obama said he was "still fired up and ready to go."

The junior senator from Illinois congratulated Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York for her win and praised "all the candidates in this race" as "patriots who serve this country honorably."

"But the reason our campaign has always been different, the reason we began this improbable journey almost a year ago, is because it's not just about what I will do as president," he said. "It is also about what you, the people who love this country, the citizens of the United States of America, can do to change it. That's what this election is all about."

CNN projected Clinton to win with 72 percent of precincts counted, basing it on reported results, exit polls and other statistical models.

As she had most of the night, Clinton held a 39 percent to 37 percent lead over Obama with 81 percent of the precincts in.

But Obama assailed critics who he said doubted his campaign and said that the record numbers of voters in Iowa and New Hampshire showed that "there is something happening in America."

"You, all of you who are here tonight, all of you who put so much heart and soul and work into this campaign, you can be the new majority who can lead this nation out of a long political darkness," he said. "Democrats, independents and Republicans who are tired of the division and distraction that has clouded Washington."

"For most of this campaign, we were far behind," he said. "We always knew our climb would be steep. But in record numbers, you came out and you spoke up for change."

Obama pledged to end tax breaks for the rich, to "end the outrage of unaffordable and unavailable healthcare" and "end this war in Iraq and bring our troops home."

"We will finish the job against al Qaeda in Afghanistan. We will care for our veterans. We will restore our moral standing in the world, and we will never use 9/11 to scare up votes. 9/11 is not a tactic to win votes, but a challenge to unite America."

Obama also responded to critics who he said cautioned his campaign against offer "false hope."

"In the unlikely story that is America," he said, "there has never been anything false about hope."

And, he said, his response to those naysayers is "one simple creed - yes, we can."

"Yes, we can heal this nation. Yes, we can repair this world. Yes, we can, and so tomorrow as we take the campaign south and west ... we will remember that there is something happening in America, that we are not as divided as our politics suggest, that we are one people and one nation and together we will begin the next great chapter in the story with three words that ring from sea to shining sea - yes, we can."

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. reginald

the reason obama lost in in N.H... IF you were a blackman and saw him being buddy" buddy with Bill O'REILY backstage in N.H. WHAT would say about that. I like everebody not like bill o'reily. So i think in my mind he is a very dumb black men. he make blackmen and whitemen look bad....Trying to be president Know man in there right mind would that. It's like trying to sell to the devil for nothing. If you like to see the film ask fox net work.thank you reggie edwards?????_&$@!!!

January 9, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  2. Ed winter park Fl

I admire and would vote gladly for Barack at a later time .He has all the credntials excecpt TIME AND EXPERINCE. One more comment from a 78 yr old 22 yr navy veteran from the late 1940 through the 1960's. Been through all the segragations and desegragations of the services so i feel a little qualified to comment. Tremnedous advances for all races so it is not the huge factor that it once was. Your speech like Mccains was to long and it became boring with the same old comment about change . Good idea but you came off at that time as trying to replace Martin Kings [I Have aDream] message. BE YOURSELF , YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH.

January 9, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  3. instink4u

CNN,
    I have been a long time supporter of CNN; I would have to admit that I was not sure of its success back when Mr. Turner started this influential venture back in the 80’s. I was just a kid when it first aired, and was slightly taken back by some of the non-functioning cameras but I stuck with you. I have stuck with CNN, even after Fox and every “Cat in the Hat,” started there networks which all too often seems to be a propaganda machine for a certain class of people, (not the Middleclass).

I noticed back in 2000 & 2004 that CNN fell far behind the “Right Wing propaganda machine” of FOX News in viewer ship & satisfaction along with believability. Many of America’s Middleclass felt that CNN’s slippage in ratings was largely due to the fact that they let Bush and the entire Republican Party off the hook during Q&A’s. Seldom did Republicans get asked questions on camera about important issues such as, there running of the congress during the 90’s and most of the millennium, and the Republican reasoning for ramming new credit card laws and bankruptcy laws down Americas throat helped the rich.

I have been watching your news channel very close during this election season and it seems like your network is picking up were you left off in 2004 by failing to ask the pertinent questions that Americans want asked to its public officials. I need to know if your network is going to continue to cow-down to the far right, or will you finally get back to fair and balanced journalism? You need to remember that this is the era of change. Democrats and Independents don’t want to be treated better than the Far Right; we just want you to address them in the same context that all other parties are vetted. Please don’t force me to bring change your way.

January 9, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  4. Rambo

Obama is just a PC media creation, he talks nice but has no substance. The press is guilty of treating him with kid gloves, no one questions his record, his past, his flip-flopping and his drug use in the past. The American public needs to wake up to this 'pop' politician. Believe me I don't love the other candidates, but at least most of them have actually put their words into positive action. Obama is all talk no action. His claim to fame not wanting the war in Iraq. However this man is another Bush, was he not the one who said he would drop bombs in Pakistan? Seriously this shows how Americans have been dumbed down by the PC Liberal press. I really see why Rupert started FOX.

January 9, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  5. AJ; Montpelier, VT

Cathy – If you are ready to pack your bags and hightail it to Canada based on the outcome of one election, you really arent much of an American. Living with the outcome of an election, even if it's not the candidate of your choice is what it means to live in a democracy. It wont last forever. I dont like Obama, and I really dont lIke G. W. Bush, but moving to Canada never entered my mind. If this is truly what you are considering. I suggest you go, and give up your citizenship. You are not worhy to be an American. Otherwise, grow up, suck it up and be an adult!

January 9, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  6. Kathy

I wish the other politicians would follow Obama's lead and talk about issues instead of personal attacks.

In the meantime, Obama has shown that he is electible, that even in overwhelmingly white states he can gain huge numbers of votes – even while splitting the so-called Anti-Clinton vote with Edwards, and that he can excite people who never voted before. Keep it up Obama, there are plenty of us in the other 48 states who can't wait to vote for you in our primaries!!!!

January 9, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  7. Teni

I love Obama. He is it.

January 9, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  8. Mayfield

OK! JEFF FROM JERSEY
    JUST HAPPENED TO SEE THAT YOU COMMENTED ON MY COMMENT TO CATHY'S COMMENT,AND WANT TO THANK YOU FOR BEING REAL! BUT TO BE TRUTHFUL IT DIDN'T SOUND THAT POSITIVE.I CAN LIVE WITH THAT.

1)HOW COULD YOU EVEN THINK OF THE FACT THAT YOU ARE SUPPORTING US?????
    2)GUESS I CAN ANSER THE QUESTION MYSELF,WITHOUT ASKING YOU WHETHER OR NOT YOU AGREE!

3) THERE IS ONE POINT WHICH CATHY MENTIONED THAT DIDN'T REALLY TURN ME ON,AND IT HAD TO DO WITH HER OPINION;RATHER A REPUBLICAN AS HILLARY. ME-MYSELF,AND I (TALKING IN PLURAL) WAS ALSO INVOLVED IN THE VIETNAM WAR,AND LUCKILY SURVIVED,JUST AS MC'CAIN DID.APPARENTLY MR. MC'CAIN DIDN'T LEARN ANY LESSONS WHILE HE WAS THERE,OR AFTERWARDS,OTHER THAN THE POSSIBILITY THAT HE WANTS REVENGE FOR THE FIRST AMERICAN LOST WAR.AND NOW HE WANTS TO SEND MORE TROOPS TO IRAK!!!!! WAKE UP DUDE!!!!!!!
    WERE YOU THERE TOO??? APPARENTLY NOT,AND IF SO YOU WOULD NOT BE SO ARROGANT ,SPREADING "YOUR THOUGTS,AND NOT CAPABLE OF RESPECTING THOSE OF OTHERS.

P.S.
    THANK GOD THAT OBAMA IS AWARE OF THE FACT THAT NOT EVERYBODY THINKS AS YOU,BECAUSE I'M PRETTY SURE HE WOULD HAVE PACKED HIS LUGGAGE LONG AGO-DESTINATION UNKNOWN.

January 9, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  9. Cathy

So Clinton has experience.

What's her vision?

I think the latter is more important to leadership than experience.

The reason the under 30 crowd dismisses experience as necessary is because at our offices across the nation our managers, with many more bullet points on their resumes, tend to be morons. (Not my managers here at this officer for once. They're about my age, just with a business degree instead of a liberal arts one.)

Experience is not the same as qualifications. About the only qualification Clinton has is that she already has a staff in place that can run the white house. However, the Obama camp is incredibly organized, and I doubt we'd see the months of lag that W encountered when he first went there.

The Dems really need to see what will happen if Hillary wins the candidacy. She may have the yellow dog democrats now, but she also needs to draw in the independents, and they are the ones that are so very repulsed by her.

January 9, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  10. RedSea Foreign National

For me, a Hillary supporter, I can't believe that you think people are so stupid that a few tears will really change anyones mind. I have my mind made up by looking at the Seante websites of both Obama and Clinton, and the Thomas Congressional library to see what kind of legislation both have been involved in. At first I did not like Obama, but I had no reason, but to me I just get a bad feeling about him. So I decided to investigate my feelings. Like I see most people commenting on this blog are commenting based on their feelings, and it sounds very unintelligent. So now I will tell you why I do not like Obama.

On immigration: Supported Bush-backed immigration reform legislation, which would have increased funding and improved border security technology, improved enforcement of existing laws, and provided a legal path to citizenship for some illegal immigrants. Voted to authorize construction of a 700-mile fence along the U.S.-Mexican border.

HOWEVER Obama voted to bring low-cost foreign labor into New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. What about the African-Americans who were displaced in that city ready and willing to work?

On Iraq, he opposes using military force in Iraq, HOWEVER, his voting record shows that he supports the war. He voted twice in 2006 against bringing America's troops back home, as 1 exapmle. ANd he has removed some of his speeches from his website where he has talked in support of the war.

Obama voted more than five times for USA-PATRIOT's renewal.

Obama's record on choice is less than 50%. He pretends to be pro-choice while voting for anti-choice justices who have vowed to end choice.

His most recently sponored legislation reauires the US president to secure around the world all nuclear weapons and nuclear usable material. If this is not a law to sponsor US interventionism around the world, then I do not know what is.

And on his voting record, just go to his website and see that during his term as Senator he is not voting 85% of the time! He sits on the fence and then criticises the voting decisions of others.

He may have been doing a little for Kenya in these days while he is in the news spotlight, but before, he has mainly been busy trying to get funding for Fermilab, a local company contributing to his campaign.

Anyone else have anything of intelligence to say that they can back up with references??

And to think my vote would be based on some tears?

January 9, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  11. gam

I still fail to understand what experience Ms Clinton is claiming. She had eight years to push her husband to accomplish all the laundry list she gives in her speaches. Why don't we have a resonable healthcare system? Why don't we have a better education system, why do we have so many poor still in this country. She can blame the last eight years. However, had her and her husband changed these things the public would never allowed Bush to go backwards. They accomplished very little other than the surplus which if scrutinized wasn't what it claimed to be. I can't bear the thought of this couple putting us through more of the same politically and given enough time her husbands morals will rear their ugly head again. I am heart broken that for the first time in forty years I will not be able to vote if she wins the nomination. The Republicans must be rejoicing they have so much foder against this couple we don't stand a chance of winning.

January 9, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  12. Deb

As Hillary gave her speech last night, tears ran down my cheeks! You GO GIRL! We need you desperately and from what the Pundits where saying I was ready to move to Costa Rica! No more! I have hope that we really can get our great country back! Hillary is the one to do it! Ready for Change! Oh Yes we are Ready for change and Hillary is the GIRL to do it!

GIRL POWER ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE!

January 9, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  13. Kudzo

Go and go. This the time not to relent in your efforts. Put on fresh running shoe and race non-stop to the white house.

January 9, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  14. Terry

what respect does obama show the military or vetrans very little check it out people before it is to late.

January 9, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  15. MJ North Mississippi

You hear so many I did this and I take credit for that out of Obamas' mouth, the
    next thing you hear from him is " I invented the internet and Love Story is all about
    me" I have never seen such an inexperienced man want to claim all the glory
    unless he has no glory to claim.

January 9, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  16. Braineel

Leadership and charisma go hand in hand. If we look back to "Ask not what your county can do for you . . ." we can easily see that charismatic leadership can make a profound difference in the lives of the governed. Obama has the leadership ability to call U.S. citizens to make the kind of changes they will need to make to be able to turn this country around. We need someone who can energize the country, win seats in the house and senate by speaking up for candidates. When Obama gets on the stage he does so with a powerful force of average people behind him.

The question of experience is a farce. If this man is so inexperienced, if that matters so much, why is it the case that every candidate is now doing all they can to co-opt his message? Are we as U.S. citizens blind to this? Why is it that a person should be called out on experience when his message has become the watchword among other candidates (of both parties) most of whom are twenty or more years his senior, and we do not collectively balk? No candidate if elected does the job of the presidency alone. A vice presidential candidate will be chosen, a cabinet will be chosen, and the United States of America should trust that when the time comes to make these choices Obama will be the right person to choose the right advisors to make the vision he and those who support him believe in. The race will remain very much a race, but I would like those who want to tread on someone for inexperience to remember two things, it is experienced politicians that led the country to where it is today, and the U.S. Constitution establishes the age of viability for the presidency at 35.

This country should ask itself, who do you want speaking for you?

Regardless of the outcome Senator Obama is an impetus for change, defining this campain for all candidates and all voters.

January 9, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  17. John

Obama, do you love this country like ordinary America? Your father is in Kenya, you have a lot of half-brothers and sisters in Kenya. You were raised In Indonesia by your step father for 4-5 years .Do you have the same feeling with ordinary American?

January 9, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  18. jsg

There is still plenty of time for the Obama message of real change in this country to get through to the citizens and serious voters during the coming months. It will prevail. Interesting how it has always been inferred that a woman could not be president – too emotional, not able to separate issues and agendas, just as ordinary women do in daily life and never quite make the grade or get the payout. However, Hillary set out to prove them wrong and only succeeded in proving them right , women are not ready; they are too emotional, the unsung caregivers, "poor me's". Then a boatload of them pity-voted for Hillary in empathy with her teary meltdown. If you all continue to vote for her, you deserve exactly what you get!! I wonder if those famous cookies will now be delivered to constituents at the next state up for grabs?

The gentleman may well be from Illinois but that ain't no lady from New York!
    If she had dumped Bill, after his piccadillo and exit from the White House, she would have had a real chance instead of 'hanging on to Bill to be her chance'. He is deadly to her success and will prove so. But, these two are a good pair, they are street fighters and the road ahead should be amusing as expected.

January 9, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  19. Manuel

The "Yes we can" speech that Obama made last night, is a translation of the Cesar Chavez slogan of "Si se puede" it's not new and I hope the public realizes that!

January 9, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  20. Susan, San Francisco, CA

When hearing Obama speak, I hear all "we will change......" repeatedly, sounding really empty, and one couldn't help asking immediately: how? He made it sound like he alone could make a big change if only we give him the oval office. That fact is, no one can change alone. You need a lot of smart government officials who will line up and back you up and do all the things for you and give you smart ideas. Who will he sourround himself with if elected? We don't know. It seems at least right now just younge people like him. Will these college kids become his cabinet members? That would be really scary! Will they decide the fate of many countries and the fate of US? More scary! These are hot headed, innocent people who will not be a match to the other experienced leaders of other hostile countries. In the end, good will doesn't mean good result.

January 9, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  21. Manuel

Obama does not have the experience that is needed in order to clean up the mess the republicans have made of this country. We need someone that is ready to meet the challenge. Unfortunately there is a huge mess that needs to be cleaned up and I hope the people of this nation realize that, an only Hilary can do it!

January 9, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  22. rachel tian

The president of the states should not just be good at talking. He/she must demonstrate the ability of getting things done. I tracked through the events happened yesterday. I am actually going to vote for Hillary though initially I was more inclined to vote for Obama. Talking is cheap. America do not need a COOL president. America needs president who can fight (Hillary has definitely demonstrated that yesterday, she basically fought until the last minute) for their people. For this (and not for the tears), Hillary has my vote.

January 9, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  23. Teresa

Very resourceful Hillary – she is a fighter and deserved to win. To the supporters of Edwards – time to hang it up. He has absolutely no chance. He spent more time attacking Hillary in NH than setting forth his own agenda. His numbers reflected this. He is just not SMART (politically). He deserved to lose.

January 9, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  24. krill

For everyone questioning how Obama will bring 'change' to politics...... HE ALREADY HAS.

He's changed the entire presidential race on both the Democrat and Republican sides. He has everyone talking about change. He is the one who has set the tone of every candidate's stump speech. He has inspired people to come out and be counted. It is through Obama's campaign that our voice of change can be heard.

Whether he wins or loses, he is a conduit for American people to express that they believe bipartisan politics is undermining the greatness of this nation.

Win or lose, God bless Barack Obama for giving America the inspiration try to better ouselves as a people, as a nation, and as individuals.

January 9, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  25. Tom B

I love to watch all the Clinton bashers melt down. The only thing I could suggest to you fine folk–learn grammar and syntax before you put your foot in your mouth.

January 9, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |