January 9th, 2008
1 year ago

Blitzer: 'It's a brand-new ball game'

ALT TEXT

Wolf Blitzer during Tuesday night's New Hampshire coverage of the primary. Photo: Jake Herrle/CNN.

(CNN) - For the Democrats, the next two states on the presidential nomination circuit are Nevada and South Carolina - both very different than either Iowa or New Hampshire. There is a significant African-American and Hispanic community in Nevada. About half of the likely Democratic voters in South Carolina are black, compared to a tiny percentage in both Iowa and New Hampshire. Watch for the candidates to adjust their strategies somewhat.

For both the Democrats and the Republicans, there will be less retail politics in the coming days and weeks. The people of Iowa and New Hampshire had the luxury of getting to the see the candidates up close and personal – all the time. That will change now. There are going to be so many contests compressed around a short period of time around the country, building up to Super Tuesday on February 5.

I suspect that means you will be seeing even more of the candidates on national television shows, including mine. That is what the political strategists call "free media." They don't have to pay thousands of dollars for 30 second commercial spots. John McCain and Mike Huckabee so far during this campaign have been especially adept in taking advantage of "free media," which is critical for both since they are relatively strapped for cash.

What I am especially pumped about right now is that after New Hampshire, it's a brand-new ball game on both the Republican and Democratic side. The battle is intense, and it will remain that way for at least the next four weeks.

Once the political dust settles and we know the two nominees, I will be anxious to see if a serious third party candidate emerges. That would further energize and complicate this race.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Nevada • South Carolina • Wolf Blitzer
  1. kim

wow, this is over!
    Hillary wins!

January 9, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  2. Jack K., Fort Myers, FL

I'm really perturbed.

It seems John Edwards populist agenda has been hijacked by Obama, Clinton, and Huckabee.

As soon as a recent poll came out saying Edwards was the most likely to beat the GOP–man all of the candidates who previously were firing on empty–suddenly became "attached" to the electorate–and agents of change.

Edwards has been focused–and unwavering for 8 years on his desire to see some changes in Washington.

How could late comers–and special interest flakes like Obama and Clinton be in the lead? It sure doesn't say much for the Iowa, and especially the NH voters.

January 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. NewPatriot-Arizona

Hi Wolfe,

This 'new ball game" consists of computer voting fraud ! I am tired of it .... its time to go back to old fashion hand count.... there is nothing wrong with it ,especially if the media has all their cameras aiming straight at the hand count ... that way there is no fraud.

But with the silly computers ,who is really keeping an eye on it? Wolfe you tell me ?

If you want change it starts with the VOTING SYSTEM we have and its not working !
    there is were the real change needs to be in this new brand "new ball game" !

January 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  4. sharon

I heard your reference to comment by Edwards re: Clinton crying and I had seen the question put to him by the reporter yesterday. I know what he said . You spun his comment. He was sympathetic to the pressure on the candidates and he ,obviously, was dismissive of such a question. There was no criticism of Clinton.

You and Cafferty need to correct this. This is not quality reporting. You had opportunity to ask Edwards in your interview today and did not.

Shame on you.

January 9, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  5. Jay Graham, Dallas, TX

Elections in IA and NH still show that men are overwhelmingly supporting Obama than Hillary. US is still a male dominated society and backwards in their attitude from many of the developing countries like Argentina, India, Israel, UK, Germany etc. who have chosen women presidents. Women in this country should prove this wrong by electing Hillary. Not because she is a woman, but a competant, experienced, and well qualified candidate. This is the only chance.

January 9, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  6. Jilly

I'm Mexican and I WILL be voting for Obama! I'm educated too. Go figure!

January 9, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  7. Ann S.

Hillary cries her way to edging out Barack in New Hampshire... I wonder what her campaign is thinking: "It worked! Hillary needs to cry more! That's how we'll win all the women-folk! Hillary, cry!! "
    As a woman, I am insulted. I'm a Democrat and I will never vote for Hillary
    Clinton. If she becomes the nominee, I'm definitely voting for John McCain or a third party candidate. I absolutely despise the idea of her being president!

January 9, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. Jim

yep, a new ballgame. the corporations and elites had to manufacture a win and get control of this election back. too obvious.

January 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  9. Natasha

People, people, people, isn't it time that we have someone new in the White House? When I think of Obama, I think of a fresh breath of air...the Clintons are stale news!

January 9, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. Seam, Philly PA

I wonder how many stupid polls CNN will report on in the coming weeks? Has CNN finally realized that pre-voting polls are meaningless and misleading. There were probably a number of Obama supporters that decided simply not to vote, or vote for Hillary because Polls indicated he would win in a landslide. People either felt comfortable that Obama would win regardless, or some women wanted to show a bit of support for Clinton due to her crying episode.

Lesson learned: Don't trust the media or the polls. Just get out and vote for your candidate.

January 9, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. Tom Masters

Yeah they edited my comment about playing the race card, I didn't think it was out of line with the material that is on here today.

The meat of the comment was that women out-populate men in our country and that that there are a lot of women in that percentage of 'black people', so I believe it is a toss up in South Carolina.

January 9, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. sandy

Why is it so hard for the pundits to believe that women are very capable of voting the way that they feel is right, without having to inform everyone what they are going to do before they go into the voting booth? The way the media make it sound you would think that Hillary had a major breakdown instead of a catch in her voice. I have watched the replay a dozen times and did not see the tears run down her face or wipe her nose on her sleeve or even ask for a kleenex. Enough already

January 9, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. Dan, Duluth

After New Hampshire, "the best political team on television", should be dining on "humble pie" until at least Super Tuesday. What a disaster!

January 9, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. Steven Bengtson Sr.

If you subtract the misleading poll numbers we got from you guys and then you retracted all the speculation put out by the media, I think we have the same game! I trust you Wolf, as well as Candy, Anderson, and probably most of the people who work there ( not Glen, Jack, or Lou) but why are you participating in spinning the news? What will Obama do for higher education? How will this Clinton clean up the republican debt? I call upon Michael Moore and ask he prompt you to report news not line up to dispense a heaping helping helping of memorized mistakes.

January 9, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  15. adams

Obama please stop lip singing Edwards!

Will someone please tell Obama to stop copying what Edwards is saying, it really is
    pathetic.

Amature political rookie Obama continues his crusade to lose the white house to the Neo cons.

Vote to win our dear America back vote Hillary or Edwards.

January 9, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Skyler

Obama professes change, but how? Where is his message other than Sunday school preaching? He is a great speaker, the best of the bunch but translate that into track record and experience and we're left with fluff and pageantry. Clinton has a plan and whether you like her or not the vote should be on the resume to which Obama's is quite short.

January 9, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. NewPatriot-Arizona

Rob, Washington, DC January 9, 2008 4:28 pm ET

Sal stop being a paranoid conspiracy theorist. People need to give it up already. Every time I read the ticker somebody picks out one particular story about one candidate and declares that CNN is biased or ruled by corporate interests. As far as I can tell the network runs stories on everybody. Next thing you're going to do is tell us about shadow governments and 9/11 conspiracies right?

I WONDER HOW ROB KNOWS SO MUCH !

January 9, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  18. Mandy

Can you talk about the major voter fraud in New Hampshire...it's buzzing around the internet like wildfire, but I haven't heard you talk about it.

January 9, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  19. Another Steve

Free Media. Yeah right. Who's paying your bills. Corporate interests? It wouldn't have been much of a horse race if either Republican or Democratic front runners beat their opponents agian. You guys wouldn't be getting all the attention even with the writers strike. We the American public would tune you out. So I guess we can say the media is the winner, correct?

January 9, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  20. Hans

Clinton has a plan? Like voting for the Iraq war...that's great to hear

im glad lobbyists have funded her entire campaign

she would never bring change to Washington

January 9, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  21. Hillarylover

You know I look at this race – somewhat like a game of chess. I see Obama as the rookie and Clinton as the queen. Simple. Clinton 08

God thank you NH for showing the media, the commentators and any others that we are not so easily fooled. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

We stand proud today as being part of the democratic party. Clinton 08

January 9, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  22. Jr., California

-Skyler

Oh I found one. Hey Skyler maybe you can tell me (and the world) what 35 years of experience Hillary has. Also, what is Hillary's "plan" that you speak of in your 4th. sentence? Please answer (I'm watching you).

January 9, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  23. k. montgomery

The bottom line is this, our country has been in trouble for years. Osama bin laden is still missing. Or is he? How do we know for sure that this man is not dead. When I see the faces and names of some of these people, who knows who from whom. America needs to keep it real and get the hell out of the Mideast and take care of its homeless people here in America. No candidates ever talk about that. They give a much more broad spectrum of the issue. While people like myself who make under 35, 000 a year struggle to keep the rent and utilities paid. God forbid the car breaks down. But we are worried about who will be the next president, if they can't focus on us (50,000 and under) then we sure as hell don't care who wins, we just start looking for a second job, so that we can pay more taxes to the american government.

Yeah, let's keep it real!

January 9, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  24. CJ

Well I was very disappointed last night..... When I left work I told everyone that there was a political primary going on so I'd be spending the evening under a blanket with Wolf Blitzer.

But as soon as I got home (West Coast) Hillary was in the lead and the AP had projected her as the winner. Click – not tonight, Wolf.

I don't go for the conspiracy theories that Hillary is rigging the election, but who is voting for her? She gets so much hate mail on this blog and I do not know one person that would even consider voting for her.

I feel personally insulted when commentators say that women will vote for her because she is a woman, or because we will feel sorry for her when she starts crying again. I thought when she was yelling at Edwards during a debate one day, then slouching over a table crying the next day – she looked like she's crazy. If I felt any sympathy for anyone it was Bill.

Wolf, – I am available for the next series of primaries but I hope you'll have better news for me.

January 9, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  25. Independent Voter

Wolf,
    You've done enough cheerleading for Senator Clinton at this point. Could you please start questioning what SHE has accomplished? We hear "experience" ad naseum yet other than a few minor legislative accomplishments, I've yet to hear any "meat on the bones."

January 9, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |