January 9th, 2008
1 year ago

Blitzer: 'It's a brand-new ball game'

ALT TEXT

Wolf Blitzer during Tuesday night's New Hampshire coverage of the primary. Photo: Jake Herrle/CNN.

(CNN) - For the Democrats, the next two states on the presidential nomination circuit are Nevada and South Carolina - both very different than either Iowa or New Hampshire. There is a significant African-American and Hispanic community in Nevada. About half of the likely Democratic voters in South Carolina are black, compared to a tiny percentage in both Iowa and New Hampshire. Watch for the candidates to adjust their strategies somewhat.

For both the Democrats and the Republicans, there will be less retail politics in the coming days and weeks. The people of Iowa and New Hampshire had the luxury of getting to the see the candidates up close and personal – all the time. That will change now. There are going to be so many contests compressed around a short period of time around the country, building up to Super Tuesday on February 5.

I suspect that means you will be seeing even more of the candidates on national television shows, including mine. That is what the political strategists call "free media." They don't have to pay thousands of dollars for 30 second commercial spots. John McCain and Mike Huckabee so far during this campaign have been especially adept in taking advantage of "free media," which is critical for both since they are relatively strapped for cash.

What I am especially pumped about right now is that after New Hampshire, it's a brand-new ball game on both the Republican and Democratic side. The battle is intense, and it will remain that way for at least the next four weeks.

Once the political dust settles and we know the two nominees, I will be anxious to see if a serious third party candidate emerges. That would further energize and complicate this race.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Nevada • South Carolina • Wolf Blitzer
  1. Tricia

If Obama emerges the leader, Gore will be the third party candidate.

January 9, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  2. Biggdawg

"I'm Mexican and I WILL be voting for Obama! I'm educated too. Go figure!" Jilly

I didn't know Mexicans could vote in US elections. I thought only Americans could. Yeah. Go figure is right....

January 9, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  3. Gobama

STATUS QUO MUST GO!
    Bill is a SHILL for Hil!

The overly ambitious and SELF-ABSORBED Clintons were unable to connect with Americans (and rightly so) in the furtherance of their PERSONAL Clintonian AMBITIONS!

And so they attack Barack's person and campaign UNPROVOKED!

Failing to TRICK AMERICANS to support their SELF-DESTRUCTIVE DYNASTY, the Clintons sought to APPEAL TO THE LOWEST IN USA.

Unfortunately, some Americans do not want CHANGE; through spite, the Clintons are willing to fuel divisiveness, STAGNATION and recession!

STATUS QUO MUST GO!

January 9, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  4. Amy B., NYC

Wolf, with all due respect, you and your team of "political analysts" in the "situation room" need to attend some Continuing Education classes on journalism. Back when I was a journalism student in the 80's, I learned that the goal is to investigate and report the news in an objective and neutral manner. Your pre-New Hampshire coverage was so slanted towards Obama that you could see the disappointment on CNN faces when Obama lost. The one exception to this was Lou Dobbs, who was asking his panel yesterday before the results came in whether everyone was jumping the gun. Good job, Lou.

January 9, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  5. Josh, Wisconsin

Wolf - Who are the likely VP running mates for Clinton, Obama & Edwards? I have a difficult time seeing any of these candidates joining forces. Are there some Dems outside of the current Presedential pool on the short list for any/all of the leaders?

January 9, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  6. Delbert Hawkins

Wolf I was just wondering why it was so historical for a black man to win in Iowa and when the first women ever wins a state wide primary for president it is not Historical? I believe I see the Bias in the media .Please do not diminish What Hillary clinton has done here!

January 9, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. Allen

Its great. The frustration of the media with TWO states having voted, gosh they can't pick a clear winner yet. This makes me so mad because it implies that the votes of the other 95% of this country who haven't voted yet just doesn't matter. Maybe the media could just let Americans pick a president without all the commentary on polls being so wrong, and "surprise" upsets. The fact of the matter is that polls are inaccurate, so don't use them as your only reporting tool.

January 9, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  8. dorothy kent

Hey, After the Black caucus, what date are we having the white caucus? Hillary has the most experience, having been in the "ball game". What does Obama have other than Ophra(is that how you spell that)....she may have hurt herself!!! One needs to run on their own, not bring the elite, thinking that because people (not me) watch the Ophra (spelling?) show, will vote for Obama. I say, Go Hillary, it's time the woman took a stand after all, were it not for her the "man" wouldn't be here. Let the men have the golf courses, ball games, and whatever else they do and Hillary, along with her supporters will take care of the United States of America, because we have the "guts" along with compassion, and yes "emotions" to get the job(s) done. Bush can go back to his expensive ranch and ride his horses. Maybe he will invite the other "men" to go camping with him!!!! There are bears and tigers out there...........Watch out for the words spoken, sometimes we have to eat them!!!!!!

January 9, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  9. Marion

Hey Writers !!! Stay on strike !– I have more fun reading this stuff !! Got a bag of Popcorn and and a Coke - Man – We got some Loonies posting here!! HAR!!

Go Mac and pick Liberman as VP and you'll win in a Landslide!!

January 9, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  10. Ida Lula

Yeah, the pundits think they know everything with their numbers and their small circle of media-savvy talking heads. Thank God for the real people, the ones who actually vote and make reality actually happen.

January 9, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  11. ms

It's not a ball game, Wolf. It's, literally, a matter of life and death seriousness. Quit treating this like a horse race and start dissecting the substance of the candidates. As the independent voter in the prior post suggests, you could do a much better job actually examining the "experience" that Hillary apparently has in spades over her opponent - a dubious claim, to be sure. Likewise, help us understand how Obama's alleged "freshness" to politics could be an asset to the presidency. What do his and her experiences tell us about how they would address global warming, UN reform, Iraq, the healthcare crisis, etc. Of course, by the time you've reached this sentence in my post (assuming you read them at all), I'm sure there'll be a new poll released or some nonsensical statement from one of the candidates to divert you and the rest of us from what's really on the line and what matters. Quick, turn to the wall of TVs with the ridiculous typefaces and graphics for an update before we start thinking too hard about stuff that matters!!! Your show is a joke.

January 9, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  12. karl

cnn are u happy now especially wolf but i no we can. iam an republican and feel so bad for poor obama with ur one way sided reporting on clinton about people feel bad about her but i know we can

January 9, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  13. Dan, TX

I am impressed with Hillary's win last night. More power to her!

January 9, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  14. HP

HELLO AMERICANS,
    IT'S A WASTE OF ENERGY OF BASHING ONE CANDIDATE OR ANOTHER, SPEND YOUR ENERGY ON LEARNING ABOUT THE CANDIDATES. NEWHAMSHIRE TAUGH US A GOOD LESSON: NO POLLS, NO PREDICTIONS.
    WE NEED A GOOD LEADER TO GET US OUT OF CRISIS. DO YOU HOMEWORK AND VOTE WITH CONSCIENCE.

January 9, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  15. Tov

It seems to me that news media goes a long way in shaping elections and public affairs. You will say anything regardless of the cost.
    Wolf has mentioned dozens of times that S. Carolina is 50% black and 50% white. It's become a mantra. Eventually he will make this election a black and white affair. We hear you Wolf. Enough already.

January 9, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  16. frequantflyr

talk about stating the obvious, wolf

January 9, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  17. F Frank, Berkeley, California

Just proves that ALL POLLS ARE IMMORAL and inacurate. People need to stop voting the way the TV pundits and pollsters tell you vote and start voting with your minds. WE THE PEOPLE of the USA need to reject big media and the corporate facsism that is taking aware our liberties, freedoms, and our way of life. Let the r3VOLution begin.

January 9, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  18. Michael

I only think it will be a two horse race, Obama and Clinton. I think edwards will have to concede after he looses his home state of South Carolina. Then the big questions will be who are the other candidates going to throw their support behind? I would say the reason Hillary won last night has to do with the fact that colleges were not in session, thus not much of turnout for Obama. yes, college wasn't in session in Iowa, but the Rock the Vote pushed harder in Iowa. Wait until the next big election night, with colleges in full swing. Had Hillary won by a larger margin I would say things look better for her, but it was only 3%. I give congrats to the Clinton campaign!, but I think America is ready for a CHANGE! On the begins with Obama.

January 9, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  19. jim geminiano

The next President of the United States will not only affect the American People but the rest of the world . I just pray that the American people vote with their hearts and minds intelligently.
    You are not electing a rock star , nor the most gifted orator . You must elect a president who can do the job . Pretty talks are cheap and dreams are expensive .
    Your country is at war and your economy is going down . Wake up America .You might hate a candidate for a particular personal reason , but Vote Intelligentlly
    Twice you have voted a charismatic Bush , unfortunately you got what you elected .There is another Bush lurking out there .
    If you own a huge multi-national corporation , would you elect an apprentice to be the CEO ?
    Or, did Oprah made you do it ?

January 9, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  20. nate

This is exactly what Mr.Obama is speaking.Were at a crisis America.The Clintons started this mess.I really believe obama will at least try to clean up this mess the country is in,that will also take another 8 years to fix.Wake my fellow americans,were in last place in everything from basketball to education.Those good ol days are over and the new generation is the only way out.Think about it we all have children or plan on having children,Unless you want hillary to send them to war too.

January 9, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  21. Tom Davie

Joan writes:

............ am sure if it is Hillary, Micheal Bloomberg will lauch his party for the bid. I can not wait if this happens. If not then I have so much room in my heart for Obama as my next president!!............

Micheal Bloomberg is a fundamental cowboy capitalist straight from the richest republican playbook you can imagine. Do you guys honestly think he is some kind of bleeding heart liberal?

What is WRONG with you people. Cant you see right thru this one? Just like Ross Perrot . He ran as an independant against Clinton back in the 90s to split the independant vote that would have voted for Clinton.

Bloomberg doesnt NEED to run against Obama. You think Obama can get away with his YAY I CAN CHANGE EVERYTHING schtick against the Republican party?

The democratic party is 99% in agreement on every issue. Obama doesnt have to defend his record nor his experience against candidates whom are already on his side as a democrat.

Bloomberg will run if Hillary is nominated SO SHE WONT WIN AND THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE WILL.

No wonder people in the world call americans IDIOTS.

January 9, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  22. russ H

My next comment is I would liike to see McCain and Lieberman as President and Vice President of the U.S.

January 9, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  23. Aly

You Got That Right Wolf!!!

The energy in this election season is unlike any other ! It's hard for me to understand people when they complain about How this is going on way to long ! I guess i just enjoy it because i'm a political junkie!

I think this next month will fly by , and honestly ill be sad to see it go :( BUT we still have a whole year left !!!

January 9, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  24. Scott, California

Great question Jr. I hope we get an answer other than "go to her website."

Skyler,

I'd love to hear it the examples too, seriously. As a Californian, I'll be voting in 3 weeks and want to be fully informed.

First, anyone who's ever done any interviewing knows that people will pick the very best examples from their resume to prove their points about what they've accomplished.

So, in Saturday night's debate, during Senator Clinton's response to Senator Edwards when she was making her claim of "I HAVE 35 YEARS of CREATING CHANGE," I was on the edge of my seat because I was hoping I would finally hear the specifics.

HER CHOICE for the change she created during her White House years? Healthcare. That was HER choice. As most Americans remember it, that was not only a policy failure but a political debacle, creating even more divisiveness in a city already splintered by it.

By the way, I think the media should continue to question Barack. However, that street runs both ways. And to hear the Clintons' whining about unfair treatment last weekend just made me scratch my head. Yes, they're beat up by "the right wing." But the media was practically handing her the Presidency the first 10 months of 2007.

January 9, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  25. karen

I don't know whether the tearing up of Hilary Clinton changed the outcome or not, but I think when CNN's show last Sunday spent several hours letting us watch all the candidates campaigning in different districts is what could have turned it around. People were able to watch and listen instead of just reading about or seeing them for only a minute or two. I really appreciated CNN doing this and hope that you will continue doing so. It will be a tremendous help to me and other voters when we vote.

January 9, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |