January 9th, 2008

Blitzer: 'It's a brand-new ball game'

ALT TEXT

Wolf Blitzer during Tuesday night's New Hampshire coverage of the primary. Photo: Jake Herrle/CNN.

(CNN) - For the Democrats, the next two states on the presidential nomination circuit are Nevada and South Carolina - both very different than either Iowa or New Hampshire. There is a significant African-American and Hispanic community in Nevada. About half of the likely Democratic voters in South Carolina are black, compared to a tiny percentage in both Iowa and New Hampshire. Watch for the candidates to adjust their strategies somewhat.

For both the Democrats and the Republicans, there will be less retail politics in the coming days and weeks. The people of Iowa and New Hampshire had the luxury of getting to the see the candidates up close and personal – all the time. That will change now. There are going to be so many contests compressed around a short period of time around the country, building up to Super Tuesday on February 5.

I suspect that means you will be seeing even more of the candidates on national television shows, including mine. That is what the political strategists call "free media." They don't have to pay thousands of dollars for 30 second commercial spots. John McCain and Mike Huckabee so far during this campaign have been especially adept in taking advantage of "free media," which is critical for both since they are relatively strapped for cash.

What I am especially pumped about right now is that after New Hampshire, it's a brand-new ball game on both the Republican and Democratic side. The battle is intense, and it will remain that way for at least the next four weeks.

Once the political dust settles and we know the two nominees, I will be anxious to see if a serious third party candidate emerges. That would further energize and complicate this race.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Nevada • South Carolina • Wolf Blitzer
  1. lisa

Hillary's emotional moment was a dissapointment! Is this what we are to expect from a female president? WEAKNESS!! When there is a crisis, is she going to curl up in a corner and cry? or step up, and be our Commander in Chief. And to make matters worse, is Bill always going to come to the rescue? Who's really going to run the White House? I don't see Michelle running to defend Barak, or Cindy defending John. GIVE ME A BREAK!! also, I haven't heard anyone mention yet, her involvement with White Water.

January 9, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  2. Jean

I understand that New Hampshire loves the Clintons. Are we aware that
    Bill Clinton is not a candiate. I think this should be the greater concern for the voting public .

January 9, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  3. Jo Ann

Wolf,

I love your new blog! I must say it is about time!

I adore you, but I couldn’t help but cringe at your opening statement pointing out the various ethnic and racial makeup of each community in the upcoming primaries. I don't believe you are taking sides, but I have often wondered why statements about Hispanics voting for Hispanics or Blacks voting for Blacks are condoned. Why are these groups not criticized for voting for candidates based on race alone? Can you imagine the uproar if whites admitted they voted based on race? I am sure many of them do, but unlike Blacks or Hispanics, they are criticized if they admit to it. If candidates are just now adjusting their strategies to accommodate these specific groups it is less than honest. I can understand people wanting to vote for their "own kind," but not at the sacrifice of experience and qualifications.

I hope when the other candidates get around to taking advantage of the ”free media” of the TSR you will grill them all equally, regardless of gender or race.

I could tell you were “pumped up” last night! You were acting like the Energizer Bunny on steroids!

Good luck with the blog; I will visit often!

January 9, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  4. Mario

Wolf Blitzer doesn't know anything, get a job with FOX Blitzer or SHUTUP!

January 9, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  5. Lisa

As a woman, I am appalled that women would vote for her and consider it being a feminist. Hillary is playing this game on two levels – saying that she is the most tested and experienced – yet it is obvious that she cannot take what she dishes out.

Hillary has been much more cruel in her attacks against others, but expect the male candidates to be gentlemen towards her. She is NOT being criticized any more than any other candidate! Gimme a break!

If Hillary wants to be President she needs to know that criticism is constant. I don't like Bush – but I can honestly say that he is criticized on a daily basis – sometimes even undeservingly. What is Hillary going to do if Castro insults her, or Hugo Chavez? Is Bill going have to defend her? That totally weakens her position.

Did Castro tell Jeb Bush that he was chubby and could benefit from some exercise because he is a man? (Oh, but if someone said something about Hillary – people would totally make it out it is due to her being female). When Chavez joked about Bush having left the smell of sulfur at the podium – was that because he is male? What would Hillary do if she got criticized the same way?

Seriously, people say that Huckabee looks like Gomer Pyle, and Romney looks like Herman Munster. People attack all of the candidates.

Why is it that when Hillary is criticized it is just because she is a woman? I say the woman needs to grow up, instead of acting like a school girl. If she wants to be the President then she needs to present herself in a way that proves that she can handle it. Because the world is not going to treat her with kid gloves.

January 9, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  6. Thomas Wells

Yeah this is great. Whoopie. Black out candidates your masters don't like. Put out false information. Twist words of others. Jerry Springer 24/7. Great Job.

I can't wait to see a comeback for Romney and hear his 1 hour totally unprepared victory speech.

Why do you bother to get the public pumped up for this?

January 9, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  7. Chuck E. Sinluv

Gosh Wolf! Two states down and you think everything should have been settled by now? Sounds very similar to the networks announcing that Al Gore won Florida with less than 2% of the vote counted. C'mon Wolf – there's 48 more states to go and most have more votes than Iowa and New Hapshire combined.

January 9, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  8. Sam

Hi, Wolf, Congrats. You did your part to pull off the surprise HIllary win. She teared up, but you flooded the airwaves with her non-tears. (Care to report to us the different minutes you devoted to each front runner in the two days leading up to the NH primary?)

January 9, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  9. Ryan

Romney has more delegates and deserves more respect he is a strong christian leader who has strong values and futhermore people should not let his being Mormon dictate voting for him.The Church of Jesus Christ (Mormons) does not get involved with politics.He would not force religion on anyone as much as Huckabee would.He has strong business background. I think a lot of others share my point of view and should let their voices be heard and ignore the polls who only track small portion of vote.

January 9, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  10. Shelley

I hope that Wolf is not suggesting that all Black or Hispanic people are non-thinking and shallow and will vote for a candidate to run for the position of the president or the United States because of the colour of their skin or their ethnic background and not the candidate's own merits, experiences, competences, and worthiness because I find that to be very condensending and demeaning to a whole lot of people who take their right to vote for the candidate of their choice very seriously.
    P.S.There were no tears from Hillary's eyes just a small crack in her voice Lou Dobbs, and the voters voted the way they did because that's the way they wanted to do. Some one should wipe that smirk off of that guys face, and predictions are only that, stick to the real news. Don't you guys ever
    learn from your own mistakes

January 9, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  11. John

I am Canadian so maybe I should not be making comments on the U.S. election.If it offends people,forgive me.I am a fan of Obama.He is a great speaker,a black John Kennedy in my eyes.He appears to be truthfull which in its self is different.I read one of his books dealing with his childhood and early career and found it facinating.
    Mrs Clinton appears to be someone from the past who happens to be a past presidents wife.Obama has excited not only the U.S. but the world.Here is a guy who is different from the rest, a nice change.I will follow the election with excitement.

January 9, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  12. Joe

Wolf, now that you and your astute panelists from yesterday are wearing the egg on your faces and eating the crow about your early demise predictions for Hillary Clinton, please don't wimp out further by trying to blame your error on: Race, Gender Bias, Voters lying to pollsters, and Hillary's tearing up. Just fess up and move on. Toobin was the only panelist from yesterday that made sense. He said don't count Clinton out.

January 9, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  13. Shelley

Ann S. you need to take a chill pill.

Hillary Clinton did not cry so you should stop listening to all the fool hardy blow hards who keep repeating this falsehood. Why don't you sit down and take a look at the clip yourself. After campaigning long and hard for a state and subsequently losing it, she was taken off guard by a point blank question about her defeat and her braveness of continueing her fight in an upbeat manner. I as a humanbeing I can understand that anyone could have an emotional pause but she quickly recovered and was very elliquent and impressive when answering the question. All that venom inside of you must be coming from somewhere but it not healthy or meritted

January 9, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  14. Andrew, Chicago, Illinois

Does anyone really care what WOLF BLITZER has to say on things? Does anybody really think that he's at the cutting edge of political analysis?

Didn't think so.

January 9, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  15. Beamon

I just "hope" that at some point somebody actually asks Barack a question and I "hope" he answers it cause once he stops giving speeches, he would have to actually sit down at a desk and do the real work of governing. I hope people get wise to his slick act before the next round of voting cause the thought of him dealing with anything scares me to death. We're not electing class president.

January 9, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  16. Gary May

I was struck by a blatantly ableist editorial bias revealed in a reference to John McCain during last night’s coverage of the New Hampshire primary. One of the political reporters, John King I think, when gushing about McCain’s victory, with all the predictable references to resiliency, personal strength, etc., concluded his assessment with an oblique reference to McCain’s torture injuries with the statement that he (McCain) “…can’t even comb his hair!”
    The “narrative” as you guys call it, is not about McCain’s accomplishments in spite of his disabilities. The narrative is that most people have such low expectations of those of us with disabilities and that these low expectations become accepted without question and influence our assessment of accomplishment by the disabled.
    Consider that it would be totally inappropriate and totally unacceptable to make remarks based on stereotypic, unchallenged, pejorative assumptions about Senator Clinton’s gender or Senator Obama’s race.

January 9, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  17. mark wilkes barre pa

The" heir apparent " is back in her kingdom,,, all is right in the world with Wolf again,,,,,, theres only like 40 somthing more caucus/primaries to go ? do you have any journelistic ethics wolf ?

January 9, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  18. CC

As a Republican, I am very frustrated with all of the media "love affairs" with some "darlings"! On the Republican side, it is McCain and Huckabee! Why is the media not holding Huckabee's mouth and actions to accountability???? Romney gets beat up constantly for negativity (ads) and "flipflopping" and one would think McCain and Huckabee were angels!! Huckabee is making personal attacks on Romney all of the time.....in a SLICK WILLY WAY.....and gets away with it because he's a smooth talking preacher! Beware of sheep's clothing! They are smooth talking their stands and records just to get votes. Both are talking religion to get votes as well. I just heard McCain talking about Judeo-Christian people not getting left behind. (That is after he had his mother on a talk show with him several weeks ago saying hateful things about Mitt's religion! PLEASEEEEEE! Make you mom say the hateful, bigoted remarks! SAME with Huckabee-such hateful, Christian behavior wrapped in a slick willy pkg!)

Thanks for having Pat Buchannan's sister on tonight and giving some decent air time to Romney! I guess McCain's and Huckabee's CRYING negative about the ads and then personally attacking him in such cheap ways in the recent debates lost any respect for either of them from me!!

January 9, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  19. Carrie

Well said, Sherry and Lisa!

January 9, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  20. Jonah, Lincoln MA

Totally hilarious how brilliant the media thinks Huckabee's campaign was in Iowa. Yeah, right. He basically said: "Hey, my name is Mike. I'm a Baptist preacher. Vote for me because I'm close to God." And the darn evangelicals listened to him. All Iowa showed is that people can and do base their votes on the candidate's religion. Yeah media, you sure got that one right.

January 9, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  21. JIM Phoenix, AZ

This morning I read the blog that Lou Dobbs wrote and Brian Williams NBC regarding how wrong were all the pundits and for once I applauded them for owning up to it, they also pointed out that the saddest part is that they will go back to the same thing by next week.

Well it didn't take a week it seems that for Wolf's pundits it only took one day. Why do they have to do this? I believe that We the american people are well educated and can take care of whom we choose to be our next President without having to be brainwashed by this analysts.

Bravo for us the american people who showed them that we can make our own minds without anyonelses help.

January 9, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  22. salidah

Some people are so easily influenced. I am hoping (no make that praying) that the American people: men, women, children of voting age, democrates republicans, independents will really look at the candidates, see what they have done in their live in the public eye and in their political careers and vote intelligently. I know they will. I have that much trust in them after making disastrous mistakes twice in 2000 and 2004. They will no longer be fooled. Hope and change are coming, we have to help make it happen. Look beyond the spotlights, glitz and fanfare. American idol starts soon but this process is for the President of the United States.

January 9, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  23. Jake, California

I project that Hillary Clinton can never become president of the United States, she may only win a few states.

1. She boasts of experience but plants questions so that she gives calculated answers
    2. She insulted the people of Iowa when she lost miserably in that State
    3. She cries for votes when she's not getting them
    4. 50% or more of the country already hates her to start with, could get worse with time
    5. She has a promiscuous husband who is also notorious at lying and twisting information

Wait, is she going to sit on round table with Al Queada and leaders of the Middle East and say if you don't become friends of America I'll cry right now?

That's really going to work! Continue to follow her.
    Let her just enjoy these few moments which will encourage her to spend more wasteful money on her bogus campaign. In the end she'll be crying even harder.

January 9, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  24. CC

I agree with salidah! This is for President and we DESPERATELY need someone with BIG experience to help our country economically, strategically and socially. PLEASE people...........don't vote for the homesy, slick willy personalities!! We need a STRONG leader with PROVEN experience.

January 9, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  25. Boston Rob

More and more New Hampshire voters are saying that the overblown Obama media hype that coronated Sen Obama as the next President drove determined NH voters out in force to send a message to the national media and particularly the misinformed cable news punditry that voters have the final say in real elections, not head counts held in middle school classrooms in Des Moines.

Roland Martin is the biggest offender with is new "alliance" with Sen Obama. It is a well-established fact that President Clinton has a surplus of political capital with African American voters in South Carolina, yet Martin continued the drumbeat of Obama's "hope" hype. South Carolina won't be close. Hillary will quiet the media pundits again...and again...until she is sworn in next Jan as the 44th President of the United States.

January 9, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |