January 9th, 2008

Final: The New Hampshire delegate breakdown

In the New Hampshire Democratic primary

CNN estimates:

* Hillary Clinton has won 9 New Hampshire delegates (3 statewide, 6 district-level)

* Barack Obama has won 9 New Hampshire delegates (3 statewide, 6 district-level)

* John Edwards has won 4 New Hampshire delegates (2 statewide, 2 district-level)

* 22 Democratic delegates were at stake in the New Hampshire primary

* There are also 8 Democratic “superdelegates” in New Hampshire. Of those, 2 support Clinton and 3 support Obama, according to a CNN survey.

***

In the New Hampshire Republican primary

CNN estimates:

* John McCain has won 7 New Hampshire delegates

* Mitt Romney has won 4 New Hampshire delegates

* Mike Huckabee has won 1 New Hampshire delegate

* 12 GOP delegates were at stake in the New Hampshire primary

* All GOP delegates at stake in the New Hampshire primary are statewide

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. Praveen

Great job, keep working for the people hilary. we need someone like you, someone who has doen something for this country before.

January 9, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  2. Tom

So Hillary won the vote, but Barack gets more delegates?!? Sounds good to me. (But please stop bad-mouthing our caucuses for being confusing.)

January 9, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  3. stan pitts pa

somehow, someway something smells about this hrc victory, i think her tears fooled the female voters, what a shame!

January 9, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  4. Margarita, Los Angeles

GO HILLARY GO, GO HILLARY GO, GO HILLARY GO….
    TELL THE "JUNIOR" SENATOR TO GO POUND SAND.

YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE OF ALL THE CANDIDATES DEM OR REP THAT WAS INVOLVED IN GIVING THIS COUNTRY A SURPLUS…. I DON'T CARE HOW MAD I GET AT MY ACCOUNTANT, I DON'T EVEN LIKE HIM…. BUT HE HAS MADE ME A WEALTHY WOMAN AND I CAN RETIRE.

HILLARY ,GET BUBBA ( our first black president) TO CHIP IN AND HELP WITH THE BOOKS AND GET US BACK ON TRACK GIRL. YOU WERE THERE …YOU EXPERIENCED HOW ITS DONE… DO IT FOR US AGAIN.

January 9, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  5. mario c

If they have the same amount of delegates, how is it much of a victory for Clinton?

January 9, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  6. Change In 08: OBAMA!

I call this a draw maybe even Obama +1 due to the super delegates... of course those can swing either way in the end.

January 9, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  7. Khadem Ali

Yes, America, the most poweful country in the world, in history and on the planet. Congratualtions! What an opportunity!

What is your agenda for the world, for history, for the planet?

Take the world with you or against you?

January 9, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  8. Sean CA

so, Clinton and Obama are first then? they both got the same number of NH delagates, what was the point of an election then?

January 9, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  9. Jack Dodd

Obama's speach tonight in NH was more inspiring and soaring than his speech in Iowa. Why doesn't CNN replay that? I'm still undecided, but I love great oratory. Where can I see a replay? Where can I get a transcript?

January 9, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  10. William

So in other words it wasnt a Clinton victory but a TIE!!!!

January 9, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  11. Mark Terry

I am somewhat obtuse, I suppose, but since New Hampshire is Delegate Driven it seems to me that neither candidate won here and the celebration is therefore somewhat hollow, but I suppose voters may not see that – good thing it is not November.

January 9, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  12. Mathias

Go girl! (Hillary Clinton) we have got to get those oil boys out of the WHITE HOUSE before they kill any more of our young men and women for their bank accounts! I am a Vietnam Vet and nobody has every done anything for me after I got back!

Instead of spending all this money that is collected for running these primaries why can’t some of the funds be used to help the needy instead of the rich! Why bad ad campaigns? Why not food for the poor! Why not help clinics for the poor sick! Why not play clubs for poor neighborhoods so the killings will stop! Why not educate those that are in prisons so they can get a job when they get out! Why not do something for us now while you are all on your way to the White House!

January 9, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  13. Anne

"Hey, folks! Did you know there are more candidates on the ballot in Arizona than any other state? We've got real choices for change! Check out the candidates at Project White House 08"
    You won’t find a stranger bunch anywhere!

January 9, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  14. McCain - WAR MONGER

Hillary phoney crying is the most pathetic crying ever, shame on New Hamshire.

McCain surrouded by Military men, McCain is a War Monger and that is going to start to hit him.

Hillary going for the sympathy vote is sad sad sad.

Romney is a solid contender all the time and when he starts to hit and hit hard, he will take the lead in my veiw.

Whats interesting is independents voted for Hillary not Democrats, those who know her best like her the least.

January 9, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  15. Annie

That sure looks like an Obama win to me! The winner of the nomination is the one that gets the most delegates, not the most votes!

January 9, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  16. Jonah Adams

The rigor of the electioneering process of seeking voters on a case (state) by Case (state) basis is the beauty of democracy in America. It provides opportuntiy for the people to engage, understand and get to known their president even before he/she is elected.

This is what America needs to export to other countries; modified, amplified or simplified but it ensures that we all get the opportunity to engage or listen...

I gues this is why its called the land of Opportunity.

God Bless America and I wish Madam Clinton all the luck she can get, Obama will certainly give her a fight for the White House.

January 9, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  17. Jon

Clinton wins a stunning victory!

(and oh yeah, Obama comes away with one more delegate than Hillary, thanks to the Superdelegate.)

This is one bizarre election system we have here.

January 9, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  18. Joyce

Its a tie in NH. Great job Barack and thank you. We're fired up and ready to work hard for you.

January 9, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  19. LB, Ft Worth TX

So, Obama really was the "true winner" in New Hampshire... he and Hillary have the same number of voted delegates (9 each), but Obama has 3 superdelegates and Hillary only has 2... so that makes Obama the real winner with 12 delegates total, vs. Hillary's 11. ??? So what is the REAL news story? Please report the full facts, not just the hype! Thank you.

January 9, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  20. david

i agree... when candidates drop out of the race, do the delegates pledged to them go to the eventual nominee?

January 9, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  21. Doug

Right in the midst of a traditionally Clinton region, an African-American candidate got as much as 37% of the votes, while Clinton herself got only 39%, same number of delegates (9).

I consider this an AWESOME feat from the Obama camp! Huge implications against amazing odds! I don't agree with many in the press who title their articles as "Hillary with big win!"

Personally i think the accomplishment belongs to OBAMA!

January 9, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  22. Dave

Actually, if Obama takes 3 superdelegates to Clinton's 2, that means Obama actually exits NH with 12 delegates to Clinton's 11, correct?

January 9, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  23. Porter

I don't fully understand the system... but if Obama has the same number of delegates as Clinton, and more superdelegates... then who's the real winner here?

January 9, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  24. Lynne

Has anyone considered that the Democratic process is doing well in that N.H. guaranteed that the discussion continues for all of us to get involved? The speculation that Senator Obama would win in N.H. because the surge of attendance/supporters at his rallies and the positive response to his message is to underestimate the voter. Senator Clinton is a well known candidate. Her involvement in politics has been steady and consistent. She is centrist, in many ways. Senator Obama is an exciting new candidate who's views and patterns have not yet been fully elucidated but whose position is edging more to the left. Since I feel I don't know him as well, i.e. Senator Obama, I would be more inclined to go to his rally to hear him expand his sound bites. His words of change and hope are compelling but I need content, context and practical solutions to show just how that change and hope can occur. So, I eagerly await his details. I already know Senator Clinton's and former Senator Edward's details, so I don't need to necessarily attend one of their rallies. However, if I really want to make the most informed decision, I need to listen to each and compare what they say to what they do. Only then can I judge them on the content of their character. In reality, all of the Democratic line-up are stellar. I've never known such a wealth of quality politicians from which to choose. Senator Joe Biden has an outstanding plan for withdrawal from Iraq (even though he's out); Gov. Richardson is eminently qualified with his diverse history of diplomacy; Former Senator John Edwards challenges us to get rid of the 'good ol' pal network' of the wealthy lobbiests representing the few determining the outcomes for the many. I've never been more proud to be a Democrat. We have a great slate of potential. Whoever wins the Presidency, she'll have a wonderful talent pool to draw from for her cabinet.

January 9, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  25. Ann

If you really want to get the men and women out of Iraq, you had better do your homework before you vote, because of all of the Democratic Candidates, Hillary is the last one that will do that.

January 9, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |