January 9th, 2008

Final: The New Hampshire delegate breakdown

In the New Hampshire Democratic primary

CNN estimates:

* Hillary Clinton has won 9 New Hampshire delegates (3 statewide, 6 district-level)

* Barack Obama has won 9 New Hampshire delegates (3 statewide, 6 district-level)

* John Edwards has won 4 New Hampshire delegates (2 statewide, 2 district-level)

* 22 Democratic delegates were at stake in the New Hampshire primary

***

In the New Hampshire Republican primary

CNN estimates:

* John McCain has won 7 New Hampshire delegates

* Mitt Romney has won 4 New Hampshire delegates

* Mike Huckabee has won 1 New Hampshire delegate

* 12 GOP delegates were at stake in the New Hampshire primary

* All GOP delegates at stake in the New Hampshire primary are statewide

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. Beaster

Don't beleive the HYPE!

January 9, 2008 04:19 am at 4:19 am |
  2. Michelle

Wow! It was edge of the seat stuff but what a night, I stayed up all night (I'm in Ireland) and it was worth it. The cream of the crop rose to the top and though my loyalties lie with Hillary, I'd rather McCain over Obama any day!

January 9, 2008 04:32 am at 4:32 am |
  3. Osten

OMG!!!

So it's a TIE...well, New Hampshire doesn't mean anything.

What this Country DOESN'T need is this to happen...

BUSH – CLINTON (Bill) – BUSH (JR) – CLINTON (OvertheHillary)

This country NEEDS FRESH YOUNG and to be DRIVEN in a NEW DIRECTION!!!!

January 9, 2008 04:51 am at 4:51 am |
  4. Lisa

So this isn't quite the win for Hillary that the media is spinning.

January 9, 2008 04:58 am at 4:58 am |
  5. Diamond

This is funny! Since when did the Clintons become KIDS compared to a freshman Senator from Illinois? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

You know that the American people want to move forward in a fundamentally new direction, when the former first lady only struggles to get the same amount of NH delegates as a freshman Senator (9 a piece). Obama eventually got MORE delegates than Clinton (12-11).

Obama consistently wins the CHANGE vote and the INDEPENDENTS vote. That tells you who's more electable. Somehow Independents thought Obama had it in the bag and they decided to go help McCain. That's why Clinton managed to tie Obama. Now, let's get back to work, sweet Obamamites!

January 9, 2008 05:11 am at 5:11 am |
  6. Robert

This is a very bad sign for the US. Outside of GWB Hillary is the MOST divisive politician in US politics today. She will further polarize an already bitter, angry, disparate voting public. Further divisions between left and right is not what is needed right now and that is what she will bring to the table – that and her last name.

January 9, 2008 05:18 am at 5:18 am |
  7. kim

Hey folks, so we spent an entire weekend guessing who might win, and everyone was wrong anyway. I want my NEWS back. we have boats harrassing us in International waters, and a president in the middle east, and I am sick to death of politico-talk. Lets get back to what's happaning in the world and maybe cover the primaries on the DAY of the primary. Otherwise, we are in for a very long, boring year.

January 9, 2008 05:31 am at 5:31 am |
  8. Katy Hill Prescott Az.

If both Clinton and Obama won 9 delegates how can Clinton claim a win?

January 9, 2008 06:15 am at 6:15 am |
  9. Ressa

Out with the old, in with the new. I agree with Kim on the news, I'd like it to be real news anyway! 🙂

January 9, 2008 06:22 am at 6:22 am |
  10. googlybear

can we expect the rest of the clinton campaign to be centered on a crying woman?

do we want out country run by a crying woman?

the new hampshire vote is a reflection of emotions, not due process.

January 9, 2008 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  11. Justin, Lexington MA

I can't believe the CNN question out there on the front page: Just imagining having to decide between Clinton and McCain in a national election makes me completely nauseous. McCain is a fossil, from another era, another time. Clinton is, well, Clinton. The Clinton-Bush dynasty needs to stop now. But all McCain will give us is more years of war and more enemies around the globe with American arrogance.

January 9, 2008 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  12. Chris

In fact, Obama won because he got more delegates than Clinton!!! Don't forget that 3 of the "superdelegates" voted for OBAMA and only 2 of them voted for Clinton.

Score: Obama 12, Clinton 11

GO OBAMA!!!

January 9, 2008 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  13. kenoshaMarge

Guess what? We are in for a very long, boring year. I am gazing into my crystal ball and I see no change in the pundidiots in spite of their being wrong about nearly everything. A win in New Hampshire is just that, a win in New Hampshire. Now everyone that had buried Hillary Clinton is scrambling in all directions trying to explain why she isn't still dead. I support John Edwards but see him fading fast. Don't like Obama because I need more of a message than "hope and change". And I sure as hell don't think that anyone can work with the Republicans in Washington. I want a fighter. If I don't get Edwards I guess I'll go with Hillary. Hillary/Clark seems like pretty good ticket to me.

January 9, 2008 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  14. Jen

Obama, Clinton ... does it really matter? For the most part, they're not talking about real change; just shifting few things around here and there. Domestic and foreign policy are driven by money. Always have been always will be; no presidential candidate can change that. So let the people keep their money by getting rid of income tax, and alleviate the crushing inflation that makes our money worth so little. The only candidate who recognizes that and talks about making our money *worth* something again is Ron Paul.

January 9, 2008 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  15. Chip Celina OH

Diamond makes an astute observation from the text. Obama has 12 delegates versus 11 for Hildabeast. (If the survey of the superdelegates is assumed correct).

That means, come convention time, the state of New Hampshire (in addition to Iowa) goes to Mr. Obama.

Barack: 2
    Hillary: 0

January 9, 2008 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  16. George

My math may be rusty, but if Clinton and Obama each won the same number of Delegates, that would make New Hampshire a tie. Oh except one other item, There are 8 Super Delegates, of which 5 have pledged their support, 2 to Clinton and 3 to Obama. Again my Math may be off, but at the moment, doesn't that make Obama the winner of New Hampshire?

January 9, 2008 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  17. almanojodo

With Romney's 30 delegates, Huckabee's 21, and McCain's 10 ROMNEY IS THE WINNER SO FAR! The pundits try to twist the story to their point of view rather than giving the hard facts about delegates won. It's a 50 state affair with far too much hyperbole on the early campaigns.

January 9, 2008 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  18. Brattleboro, VT

I don't understand why some of you are so discouraged. We've started knowing about Obama less than four years ago, what is not the case with the Cintons. If the guy did this in NH I think it's a huge victory. Obama is the America's choice whether you like it or not. Those who booed him will cry these coming days.

America, wake up from your deep sleep, you leader is there! Obama will lead you to the promised land: Unity !!!!!!!

January 9, 2008 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  19. Jelly Bean

I have been a bit torn up about which canidate to vote for myself.

I guess New Hampshire feels the same way!

January 9, 2008 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  20. Bill W - PA

Question – What happens to John Edward's delegates if he concedes – can he give them to Obama?

January 9, 2008 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  21. J

OK, 9 each and "* There are also 8 Democratic “superdelegates” in New Hampshire. Of those, 2 support Clinton and 3 support Obama, according to a CNN survey."

So that is 12 – 11 Obama favored, so on with the show.

January 9, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  22. Christlyn Robinson

In spitde of the 39% vs 37% supposedly victory of Sen. Hil Clinton, Sen. Barack is still the winner. His speech last night just goes to show you the character of the man and his sincerity to bring this country together in unity. His speech was as impeccable and as consistent as he is. I think that Hillary should borrow a page from him. I listened to both speeches last night and all I heard from her was gloating. The fact that her supporters booed Sen. Barack was just a reflection of what kind of people really support her. SORE LOSERS!!!

January 9, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  23. Patsy C - Iowa

The media have been behind Hillary from day one and they helped put her over the top. If she is so experienced and knows exactly how to run the country, why didn't she do something during her eight years in the White House? She says she has 35 years of experience. Most of it was as a spectator. What has she done? Now she has all the answers. The Clintons had their chance and it is no longer their time. Some of the messes we are in today stem from Bill Clinton's leadership. And I was a Clinton supporter during both his terms. Now they are part of the old Washington politics. Let's give someone with new ideas – and no past to forgive – a chance to change our world.

January 9, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  24. Imelda Blahnik

Bill W – Edwards can release his delegates – but he can't force them to go with one candidate or another.

January 9, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  25. CLINTON 2008

FOX & Friends" gang the Most biased clueless political team on TV- Next to the old cronie Chris Matthews on MSNBC. Biggest IDIOT in the news goes to Bill Kristol! Who said this guy knows anything about voters; he gives gay people a bad name? Fred Barnes, Mort Kondracke, Bill Kristol and Nina Easton ALL looked like deer in the head lights all night! Could not think of anything to say on camera. Since they were proven they did not have a clue!!! We laughed at FOX trying to keep talking about republican race that ended 15 min after the polls closed.

Clueless-EASTON: She's not going to pull it out here. WRONG

Clueless-KRISTOL: She has lost the first two states, it looks like, and I think she'll lose the next couple. WRONG

Clueless-Barnes: She's the problem, that's what people don't like. They don't like her. They don't trust her. WRONG

January 9, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |