January 9th, 2008

Obama's cash blitz

The CNN Ticker

Obama's campaign is touting its latest fundraising numbers.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama is raking in money at an extraordinary pace so far this year - pulling in an average of $1 million a day over the last week, according to his campaign.

In a campaign memo sent to reporters Wednesday morning, following the Illinois senator's surprise loss in New Hampshire, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said the campaign raised over $8 million in the first eight days of 2008, and had taken in an additional $500,000 online since midnight - well after it was clear he had lost the New Hampshire primary to rival Hillary Clinton.

Plouffe also said the campaign had signed up 35,000 new donors in the first week of the year.

UPDATE:
CNN's Jessica Yellin reports that the campaign raised $1.5 million online between midnight and 10 p.m. Wednesday, according to an Obama aide, who says the average donation was $14.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ken, Austin TX

And I'm going to donate more money to the Barack campaign today!!!!

January 9, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  2. Joe

Maybe some of those donations can go towards making more "campaign contributions" in hopes of getting "endorsements".

Barack Hussein Obama is a fraud ! He is politics as usual.

The Post's John Solomon reported the other day that Obama's Hopefund had distributed money in the early voting states of Iowa and New Hampshire to people like New Hampshire state Sen. Jacayln Cilley, who got $1,000 from Obama last summer. Six days later the Democrat in the nation's first primary state announced her endorsement of his candidacy because she said she believed in him.

Likewise, Obama's PAC gave $9,000 to U.S. Rep. Paul Hodes, who was New Hampshire's first congressional member to endorse Obama. In the earlier story Obama spokesmen denied any connection between the PAC and Democratic presidential campaign.

The PAC has distributed $180,000 to groups and candidates in New Hampshire, South Carolina and Iowa and another $150,000 to similar destinations in states with primary balloting through mid-February.

Bob Bauer, private counsel for both Obama's campaign and PAC, named names of those from the campaign who'd help select the PAC's recipients and professed confidence the Obama entities had met all FEC regulations.But Scott Thomas, a Democrat and former FEC chairman, says: "He is clearly pushing the envelope."

Edwards 2008

January 9, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  3. La'Kitgum, Concorde, NH

The truth is coming out. Starting NH, Americans are beginning to understand that in politics, endogenous is more important than exogenous – that reality and fact are more important than rhetoric and body language or charisma without substance. Americans are beginning to understand that Hillary stands for what the President of the USA should be and not Obama with his empty promises. Obama's leadership leaves a lot more questions to be answered but foremost, how can he be an agent of change without experience? How can he change what he does not know? How can he change what he does not have? Experience in economy, healthcare and security are all in Hillary's bag and Hillary can change them for the good of all America. Obama has a bag of experience but it is empty. He has nothing to change.

My prayers and Best wishes to Hillary and I urge all Americans (black, white, oriental, hispanic) to support Clinton because they will never regret their votes. We did it in NH. NH understands that it is issues, not body language, which stands out in this campaign and Hillary is all about issues. Listen to her carefully instead of cheering at her and you will understand just like the people of NH did – the issues matter,

January 9, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  4. gene

Anyone that can't see thru the Clinton haze deserves to have the same old establishment back in Washington. If people can.t remember her antics when bill was in the White House must have a real short memory. A leporad doens't change its spots just because they go around with a smile on their face of late.

January 9, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  5. Gbryant

To: Nic

Just because people are stupid enough to give him money to put on these "shows" does not mean anything. Money for putting on more rallies where the word change is mentioned 50,000 times?

Go Hillary.

January 9, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  6. David

First time I ever donated for a cause. It made me feel good inside!

What more can I say...I am now a believer in America Standing united. It was looking grim for a while!

P.S. Please stop saying Hillary has experience. She has very little experience and she's also a JUNIOR senator, placed in that position from the popularity of Bill Clinton. And if you doubt Barack, look at what he has accomplished. By God, he's a senator as well. But he became a senator by his own recognition, not someone else's populatrity!

Both canidates:

Barack wants to change the country through unity and dialog

Hillary whats change through lies, and if she gets elected, she'll change her agenda around to what she wants, not the people

January 9, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  7. Yolanda, SC

Yes Barack Hussein Obama doners are lobbyist the same kind who chairs his campaigns. Of course he is gonna raise a lot of money. He is a rising politician so he is easily corruptable and already corrupt... just ask his buddy Tony Rezko.

January 9, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  8. First Lady? NOT

obama's wife is wistfully sad, ... there goes her hope to be first lady

Oprah and other republicans with vested interests will continue to bankroll his campaign.

January 9, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  9. Independent Voter

Why has CNN and the mainstream media virtually ignored the composition of HRC and Obama's campaign coffers?

Unless Americans wake up and start penalizing politicians for taking lobbyist money, Washington will continue to be suffocated by special interests.

January 9, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  10. Steven Bengtson Sr.

To those cynical people who are dividing the Democratic party I wonder what your goal is? To promote change and elect a leader or to use your vote as a protest? GO HILLARY!

January 9, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  11. c ilivuziman

Obviously, Obama is the candidate of the people
    He is getting in people who were not involved in politics before and he can win republicans and independents votes. He doesn't need to cry to get votes. He just has to stand tall and proud as it’s the case for all American Citizen. America needs a strong and smart leader (Obama for now) not personal leadership matter's business as for Mrs Clinton...

c ilivuziman
    c.ilivuziman@hotmail.com

January 9, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  12. Erik in NC

For everyone who says that all Obama does is talk about change without a plan to make it happen, here's your plan:

It's been on his website the whole time, people...if you're commenting on here then you're capable of using a website, so go use Senator Obama's!

January 9, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  13. NoGlam

randy, i heard that too. sutton new hamshire miscounted 31 votes? is this true? will there be a recount? this is crazy. ron paul is crazy too, but people's votes aren't being counted. why does this remind me of 2000 and 2004?

January 9, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  14. jambi

I am Kenyan. Without being biased, if you guys don't see what I see in this man, then let him come and repair our country!

January 9, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  15. NoGlam

nic, wrong. hillary's funding comes from low wage workers. some comes from lobbyists and pacs. true. but i know many many people who have $10 or $20 taken out of their paychecks regularly who can't really afford it. i, myself, try too, but have to pay for grad school...and work full time.

January 9, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  16. Philip, Lowell, MA

I wonder why the story about Kenya is not making news today. It seems to have been orchestrated to influence the NH voters in making sound and determined decisions rather than the origin of Obama. There's an apparent media bias in this situation. Does anyone feel this way?

January 9, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  17. Phillip, New York

So what! Charisma, money, and charm–presidential qualities? It's proven that an idiot can run the White House–surrounded by the right cast. Let's take money out of the presidential race...Biden probably was the better and most sensible of all candidates. I'm not a fan of millionare presidents nor am I a fan of inexperience and chance. In my heart I believe Obama means well but power corrupts. I digress.

Just don't forget, Jerry Farwell was charismatic with excellent charm (for his audience) and education. Dig deeper. I'm no fan of calculated Hilary or inauthentic Edwards...guess since there's no one else left I'll have to vote for a republican...NOT. God bless you Obama. Suspisciously, I'll support you.

January 9, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  18. john.smith@gmail.com

My sense is that the Clinton's, like the Bush's have their own ways of "fooling" the uneducated in this country. Well, what can we can say when someone replaces "past experience" for emotional or teary eyes to win "sympathetic votes?" Clearly, even Honest Clintonians cannot but admit that Obama won New H with facts, Clinton won with TEARS in her eyes! Both won, but with a big difference. The country, like Obama, should get over this and move on. Yes, we can!

January 9, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  19. esther brown

you are the greatest Black man in the world, you took a stand to change.I'm from the Bahamas. Obama we can't vote for you but ,we are praying for your saftey from state to state.There will be "Change like you said because God's hands is upon you."and who God bless no man Curse".Obama you are a Servent of God,God has chosen you to lead the "People out of egypt".The Bahamas Love You Obama and we are praying for you. The BAHAMAS.

January 9, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  20. Nathan Keaton

I hope her tactics in fighting terrorism are not the same that she uses against Obama—crying and stealing her opponent’s slogans.

January 9, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  21. Sudhir

YES WE CAN.. I have never given any political donation before. But I am going to help Obama in every fashion I can that includes with my tiny bit of money. I believe we can change Washington. I know my 25-50$ when combined with many more joining this movement will help overcome Lobysts who have taken over Washington. Go Obama... :)

January 9, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  22. edward

linda what do you mean obama won NH I thought hillary won anyway I'm obama supporter from toronto canada

GO OBAMA GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 9, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  23. pam s.c.

I AM VOTING FOR OBAMA IN S.C. PRIMARY. IF BY CHANCE HILARY WINS THE DEM. NOMINATION IN S.C. I WILL VOTE REPUB. IN THE GENERAL ELECTION .THIS COUNTRY NEEDS A COMPLETE OVERHAUL AND THE STATUS QUO CAN NOT DO IT. THE DRAMA OF 1990'S WITH THE CLINTONS IS OVER WE NEED A CHANGE AND I SAY OBAMA IS THE MAN.

January 9, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  24. Vince

She can only cry once!!!!!

YES WE CAN!!! YES WE CAN!!! YES WE CAN!!!

January 9, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  25. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Money for nuthin'
    Get your chicks for free.
    Aw, he ain't electable.