January 9th, 2008
1 year ago

Obama's cash blitz

The CNN Ticker

Obama's campaign is touting its latest fundraising numbers.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama is raking in money at an extraordinary pace so far this year - pulling in an average of $1 million a day over the last week, according to his campaign.

In a campaign memo sent to reporters Wednesday morning, following the Illinois senator's surprise loss in New Hampshire, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said the campaign raised over $8 million in the first eight days of 2008, and had taken in an additional $500,000 online since midnight - well after it was clear he had lost the New Hampshire primary to rival Hillary Clinton.

Plouffe also said the campaign had signed up 35,000 new donors in the first week of the year.

UPDATE:
CNN's Jessica Yellin reports that the campaign raised $1.5 million online between midnight and 10 p.m. Wednesday, according to an Obama aide, who says the average donation was $14.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ann

What's interesting to me is that Clinton raked in $750,000 practically overnight due to the NH primary.

Her team is glowing today.

Wonder why this story isn't balanced?

January 9, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  2. Ron, TX

"Obama admits campaign/PAC donation "...

Looks like we're being graced by the presence of Bill Clinton!

Hi Bill! That's an old news story. Stop mischaracterizing and distorting the TRUTH.
    Thanks!
    A Concerned Voter, Ron, from TX

January 9, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  3. Linda

Out of desperation, Hillary and Bill Clinton and the media resorted to unfair tactics.Because of Obama's lead in the polls several newscasters decided it was time to "investigalte" Obama more. Bill told his own "fairytale about Obama's war statement and Hillary gave the performance of her life.I thought the democratic primary campaign was primarily,respectable. But the respect for Bill and Hillary is lost. In the face of difficult times, our character is tested. Bill and Hillary failed. Is this an indication of how Hillary will handle difficult situations in the White House?

January 9, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. ******

To me he didn't loose, still in the game strong!

January 9, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. Casey, Minneapolis, MN

Still waiting for him to tell us HOW all this change is going to happen. Still haven't heard him say what he's going to do.

January 9, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  6. gov78

NH rejected Obama because they know he can't win the electoral college. Check out Obama's website:

Create an Affordable Housing Trust Fund: Obama will create an Affordable Housing Trust Fund to develop affordable housing in mixed-income neighborhoods. DO YOU WANT SECTION 8 HOUSING IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD?

Create a Living Wage: Obama will raise the minimum wage and index it to inflation to make sure that full-time workers can earn a living wage that allows them to raise their families and pay for basic needs such as food, transportation, and housing. INDEXING THE MINIMUM WAGE TO THE RATE INFLATION WILL JUST CREATE MORE INFLATION. IF YOU'RE AN ADULT AND WORKING A MINIMUM WAGE JOB YOU NEED TO REEVALUATE IF YOU MADE PROPER USE OF YOUR EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES.

Obama never talks about this stuff during his speeches because he knows it will be rejected by middle class americans. Instead he just gives his rip off MLK speech over and over again. You have to be a moron to believe that stuff.

January 9, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  7. Beatriz Rosado

Since when change has to mean better? Change is only a sound bite. Those who repeat it without translating it to reality could end with an empty word.

January 9, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  8. Gobama, NY, NY

STATUS QUO MUST GO!
    Bill is a SHILL for Hil! LOL

The self-destructive Clintons built up a huge White House legacy; and then proceeded to DESTROY it for Al Gore's humiliating defeat in 2000!
    The Clinton's destruction of their White House legacy set the stage for bush's UNPROVOKED & UNJUSTIFIED war, waste of American lives and limbs in Iraq, the draining of the treasure, weakening of the dollar, the HOUSING SLUMP, and RECESSION!

STATUS QUO MUST GO!
    Bill is a SHILL for Hil!

January 9, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  9. Liberal Chic

i hear people talk about hillary's expressions. but that's one sourpuss expressionon michelle obama's face if i ever saw one. same with obama's. the disdain comes through.

January 9, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  10. Jen, NYC, NY

Why is it that those who are against Obama tend to spell out his entire name "Barack Hussein Obama"? Is there a subliminal message? You don't see us write 'Hillary-I'll-do-anything-to-become-president-even-stick-with-my-cheating-husband Clinton".

January 9, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  11. Holly B

I am a 51 year old career woman , an independent and I don't understand my gender! I would never vote for Hillary Clinton. She is the antithesis of feminism. She got to elected office on the coat tails of her husband and has stood by while he cheated through so many infidelities, she looks like a bad country western song!

She has 6 years actual experience in the Senate against Obama's 8 years in the state senate and 2 in the US Sentate....the rest of those 35 ? years were just as a close up witness of history...not enought experience for me!!!

She is a politician not a leader, she is polarising not uniting, she embodies the status quo establishment, certainly not change!

No thank you Hillary, No Way, No How.

I wish the women of America would pick a qualified candidate instead of just voting their gender. Would they expect that of any other group???

January 9, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. Alexandra

I am a Canadian. And I have NEVER been so excited about politics except for this past few months.

To be honest when I learnt Obama a son of an African was running for presidency, I was impressed at his courage yet believed he didn't stand a chance because the Americans where not ready for a non-Caucasian president.

However, I am soooo wrong. I see a good number of Obama's a supporters are white and this is an indication that America is ready to eliminate racism or any other form of discrimination (Clinton is a woman).

I am a Canadian Obama supporter even though he is in-experienced, he reminds me of President Kennedy who was a uniter and genuine in his passion to really make a change for the better.

I want to support Obama's campaign and a make a donation from my hard earned money. Can any of the other supporters tell me how and if this is possible given that I am a Canadian.

NO MATTER WHAT CLINTON SUPPORTERS SAY, SHE WON N.H ONLY BECAUSE SHE TEARED UP IN PUBLIC. Who wants a president who cannot control their emotions and weeps because they aren't getting their way?

You American's are lucky to have a candidate like Obama and McCain running for presidency. If you guys don't want Obama – send him to Canada. WE NEED CHANGE!!!!
    Please tell me how and if I can donate money to Obama's campaign given that I am Canadian.
    Go Obama. YES WE CAN!!

January 9, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  13. WOODY

THANK GOD FOR OBAMA.

January 9, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  14. stan pitts pa

Casey, Minneapolis, MN January 9, 2008 2:56 pm ET

when you invite Americans back to their govt anything is possible, he is running to fix the communication deficit between washington and the American people! the voices of the people need to be heard again!

January 9, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  15. James

I love how everyone is still star struck. Hillary is running on her celebrity that dates back to Slick Willy's term in office and Barrack is sailing on Oprah's stage after being endorsed by her. I really do not want to see Hillary in office and Barrack is a good alternative to her but the REAL choice is John Edwards. Many of you have commented on taking PAC money and being beholden to special interests. Well the ONLY candidate that REALLY doesn't take lobby money and never will is Edwards. Obama is a great speaker and a great man but I'm afraid he is just a little out of his league. Everyone really should look at Edwards again before casting a vote. Edwards is the REAL DEAL. If you really want the country to make strides in history they way we did under JFK then Edwards is the only man that can get us there.

January 9, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  16. David

Hmm, that's odd. When Ron Paul beat the single day fundraising effort, there was no news on it. Wonder why..

January 9, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  17. Ann

Gov......I think he cannot do much more than speak generally, since he really doesn't have a record he can point to.

What does bother me is the presumptuousness of comparing himself to these great men who DID prove themselves.

That's just obvious arrogance.

Nobody else would dare do this.

He IS getting a free ride.

January 9, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  18. Tracy Michaels

Obama said it last night: "all the candidates for the nomination are patriots." By this devisive rhetoric by democrats, we prove we are as pathetic as the republicans. The choice between Hillary and Obama is a beautiful thing. We have two candidates who can run our country in a manner that is the polar opposite from George W. Bush. Stop it! Support your candidate for the things you like about them, and quit denegrating the other candidate. That's how we got where we are now. We are smarter that falling for the politics of destruction.

January 9, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  19. Casey, Minneapolis, MN

STAN PITTS PA – I understand that, I would just like to hear HOW he is going to do that. I would like to do that as well, but I don't know how to do it. I would like for him to give us a plan or at least some ideas. Anyone, well no – not anyone, but he is quite good at giving stirring speeches, but the time is approaching for those speeches to include some substance – ideas.

January 9, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  20. Ann

Liberal Chic....I told my Gen-X son today that his tone and attitude was derisive toward Hillary during the debate. That's the same attitude I've encountered all of my life from certain men who wish to use the "male" card against me rather than be respectful and debate the issues.

I saw exactly what you saw.

And I, for one, didn't like it.

I didn't like it so much it rather galvanized me into political action.

So it's probably all a good thing.

January 9, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  21. Walter Mason

See Barack Obama Run!

I think the one thing everyone forgets is that this young black senator from Illinois has single handedly changed the political landscape for republicans and democrats. Weather you like him or not. Our weather you think he has enough experience or not. Every American owes Barrack Obama a debt of gratitude. He going against all odds just stop and think about it. His skin color, his Muslim Grandmother, multi racial background, experience, and he was raced by a single mom, also his willingness to fight for economic equality for all people. I really admire him to put his reputation his family and yes his life on the line. I only wish him God speed and good will. Barrack has really forced all the candidates to bring there A game and get in touch with the people. They can know longer feed the public a bunch of lies and spin. I am so proud of him and I think every Americans should stop and think what would the presidential race would be like with out him. God Bless you all and Barrack and his family. He is a great American that embodies the true American sprit. See Barrack Obama Run!

Walter Mason
    Salt Lake City, Utah

January 9, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. Ann

Holly B. I'm still amazed that anyone so concerned about another woman's personal marital choices calls herself a feminist!

Trust me......you missed the boat.

January 9, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  23. DKR

Hillary cried. Bill complained. Gloria Steinem whined (see NYT from 1/8/08). They won. They will do anything to win.

Note that in this campaign, Hillary never formally announced her candidacy. She believes it is her turn and she deserves to be the next president, that if you vote for anybody else it will be step back for the country (her words during the "emotional moment"), and I believe that the "we" in her speeches refers to her and Bill not to the people of the country (listen carefully)

I am, however, happy for Obama. Just 10 days ago, nobody thought he would be within double digits of Hillary in NH...now he almost ties her. The Iowa + NH combo merely goes to show how un-inevitable Hillary truly is. And I hope that she gets beaten. Even if, as she claims, Obama is raising false hopes, I would rather see a president who can credibly claim he can inspire people across party lines than one, if she were to claim the same, it would be laughable.

The Clinton strategy is merely the Democratic version of the Rove strategy. Question the media, smear the opponent, deny all charges, win the white house and lose the congress and senate. It happened when the last Clinton won.

January 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. Dan, Washington DC

And to think, that half a million could have gone to feeding thousands of the homeless or developing lower income neighborhoods or supporting the less fortunate abroad.

People go on and on about wanting change and then support the same old idea that only a hundred million plus dollar campaign can get you the presidency. It doesn't matter what the source of the money is or who receives it, it's still a lot of money being wasted.

January 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  25. alawa

obama lets be realistic, how will you feel if soone came and robbed your country of its security and defense and left you hopeless and open to any extremist or radical religion to come and control you and then tell you bye i'm leaving in a year. do you think its fair, or do you really believe he can withdraw the troops without even knowing the facts or is he just talking like a true politician!, just like the rest of them, he didn't even know his campaigne manager in Iowa was a leading lobbyist because he was to arrrogant and cocky to be involved. do that sound like someone you want to guide you into the future. wake up america! do you really believe americans have money to donate with the unemployment rate as it is, people on the brink of losing thier homes, their jobs. or is he to inexpirence to even know that. rock stars are great for concerts, but when the curtain closes you still have to go home. what do you really think he can take us home to. look at his record in office, how many key issues did he vote for.

January 9, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |