January 9th, 2008

Obama's cash blitz

The CNN Ticker

Obama's campaign is touting its latest fundraising numbers.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama is raking in money at an extraordinary pace so far this year - pulling in an average of $1 million a day over the last week, according to his campaign.

In a campaign memo sent to reporters Wednesday morning, following the Illinois senator's surprise loss in New Hampshire, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said the campaign raised over $8 million in the first eight days of 2008, and had taken in an additional $500,000 online since midnight - well after it was clear he had lost the New Hampshire primary to rival Hillary Clinton.

Plouffe also said the campaign had signed up 35,000 new donors in the first week of the year.

UPDATE:
CNN's Jessica Yellin reports that the campaign raised $1.5 million online between midnight and 10 p.m. Wednesday, according to an Obama aide, who says the average donation was $14.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Pamela in FL

I have had to work with the Congress for several of the passed few years. Hillary Clinton is not a leader.

She always finds out what the majority will be before casting her vote. She never takes the initiative or a stand on an issue. She waits until she knows the outcome then casts her votes.

She also doesn't speak on legislation unless she knows it is sure to pass.

Her staff acts like "human shields" to keep her away from the public (ie, the voters who elected her). And will not return calls/faxes/emails unless she does a polling first or sees a majority of other senators lined up for the legislation.

She has a reputation for being unwilling/unable to work with others. Instead, she lets others do the hard work, jumps in to get her name on bills and then takes credit.

She does take time to meet with lobbyists and take their money...not so on your faxes and emails and calls.

All of this Hillary as "Obama Lite" is an act...trust me. I thought she was great, then got to see the real deal. She is faking all this concern. The only thing she wants is to be back in the WH...period...

It Obama was so bad, why is Hillary stealing his "change" campaign slogans
    and vision all of a sudden. Don't feel bad, I was naive, too, until I got to know her.

For those who care...McCain, Edwards and Obama have excellent reputations in the Senate.

Some inside "poop"....the entire Hill refers to her as a "euphanism for a female dog" who would step over her own Mother to get power. I swear to God! I am not making this up...

I have been there....
    including her staff!

January 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. David ifidon

I never thought i'd do it but I am going to donate money to Obama's campaign, i have never done it in the past but this time is deifferent we are facing a very strong opposition because this change thing is really something real we can sense it feel it and everyone knows its comming thats why Hillary was crying because she does not embody the neccessary characteristics we need for change in America!
    I dont pick Obama's side over Hillary but I stand for Americas side and that the same side that Obama is in. He never lost his class even after being Bombarded by the Clinton's, and Hillary showed her true colors under pressure she focused all her ammo on attacking Barck instead of focusing her attention on her campaign I am tired of the same old strategies from old politician how can she speak about change when the moment she finds herself sinking she goes back to the conventional politcs that we are all sick of?? What she did is the same thing that makes us so divided as a notion, If she is president you can forget any bi-partisan coalition.
    However nobody hates Barck Obama even member of the GOP have commeneded him, I guarantee you all that there is nobody that can unite this country more we can and Barack is our voice!!!!
    Go Barack we are with you all the way!

January 9, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  3. Salem

The media hype about Obama is a Joke. Electing this guy will make the leaders of the world to laugh at us. He has no idea of what he is getting into. He says he will seek advice from everybody including Hillary to govern. He will also seek advice from Karl Rove, his strategist of how beat Hillary. And when he is confused about all of them, he will seek advice from a " higher father"!. Reminds you of Dubya's inexperience and incompetence.

January 9, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  4. Pamela in FL

ooops..."including her staff" should have appeared as such...
    "the entire Hill including her staff....refers to her as...."

sorry...LOL

January 9, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  5. Pamela in FL

To compare Obama to Bush is a stretch. GW "the younger" can't walk and chew gum...

Go to his website (or any of the candidates, for that matter) and check out his position on issues. They are all listed.

January 9, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  6. Mitch, Detroit, MI

The man could take a dump in a box and some of you people would buy it!

January 9, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  7. Waiting for Feb 5 eagerly

Re: NIC
    n short, OBAMA is the peoples' candidate, and the best choice for our childrens' futures.

I totally agree with NICs comment. I am so proud of the campaign Barack is running and running very well I might add. Keep up the great work Obama. You are for the people and you want the people to apply themselves instead of just getting handouts. Take that washington dc.

Change is here and Obama is the preferred leader for true change here in the US.

January 9, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  8. Skyler

WAKE UP PEOPLE. You can't change the system from the top down. Duh. It has to come from the bottom up.

January 9, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  9. David ifidon

I guess Salem is criticizing Obama because he is not to proud to seek advice form others which is the very quality about him that would make us work together as a nation. It seems to me that Salem thinks that one person should know all things, yeah alrite that's why our country is in the ditch rt now!!! Yes Obama said he'd seek advice that's something every President should do, but he also said that he trusts no ones judgement over his own.
    So Salem if you can find the human being that knows everything there is to know about everything and that needs no advice from anyone, please introduce me to him or her!!! Good luck in the search for someone who does not exist.
    GET REAL, whats so bad about unity???

January 9, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  10. Skyler

Funny how college students vote for Oabam in droves, probably because they are drenched in theory and have not yet held a real job or lived in the real world.

January 9, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  11. Anthony

Why are we so naive?
    If America is not ready for a white female president, how on earth do we think that it is ready for a black president?
    Wake up! Face reality! Don't let it hit us in the face.
    Color blind society? Give me a break. Just look around! We are still a long way from that utopia!

January 9, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  12. Gobama

Tracy Michaels January 9, 2008 3:10 pm ET

Your thinking is noble but naive.

The low down Clintons ARE THE ONES WHO DRAW FIRST BLOOD UNPROVOKED!
    They attacked Obama's campaign for America, and why?

Last time we check, SELF-PRESERVATION & SELF-PROTECTION is an essential part of ANY human being or group?

The overly ambitious and SELF-ABSORBED Clintons were unable to connect with Americans (and rightly so) in the furtherance of their PERSONAL Clintonian AMBITIONS!

January 9, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  13. Lili

For those who said that they will vote republican if Hillary gets nominated... GROW UP!!! The republicans and Obama or Edwards or no where near each other in idealogies!!!

January 9, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  14. shirley wershba

We are blessed to have so many good men and woman willing to run for President from the Democratic Party. I will be happy with any one of them. BUT I am appalled at the boasting about the many millions of dollars they are collecting to capture that exalted office. It smacks of BUYING the White House. Doesn't anyone else cringe when they hear the campaign leaders announce how much more their candidates have raised and how much more than plan to raise to "keep up the fight?" Is Money the measure of a candidate"s ability to lead our nation back to the ideals on which it was founded. I want to know how these many million dollar war chests are translated into real programs not promises. The first candidate who contributes those huge sums of money to shoring up Medicare, Social Security, the country's crumbling infrastructure, it faltering public schools, and access to good health care for all, gets my vote and many more.

January 9, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  15. William Gainesville, FL

I spent several weeks volunteering for Obama's campaign in South Carolina and what I observed will change me forever....

I saw a very positive campaign that was filled with inspiring people who were focused not on destroying their opponents, but on building up their candidate. The great Obama team in South Carolina has spent months and months getting out the word about their candidate.

The first Obama office in SC opened in May or so...Clinton didn't even open hers until October! The Obama staff and volunteers have worked so much harder.

GO, BARACK, GO!

January 9, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  16. jack, ny, ny

who is that guy leaning over on Obama

January 9, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  17. pam s.c.

it is true john edwards understands s.c. however , john edwards is unelectable sad as it may be. except for the confederate flag we live in relatively racial harmony. in my city we have an african-american mayor . he has been our mayor for a longtime and is beloved in our community. this is 2008 we the people of the united states of america are ready for change . what is so wrong with having dreams and being inspired by the words of others? give obama a chance please do not let fear stand in the way of our future . to quote bob dylan the times they are a changing. i am not afraid i grew up in the sixties and seventies and these times remind me of those.

January 9, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  18. Clara - Austin, TX

I, for one, will be donating a small amount to Obama as soon as I get my paycheck on Friday. I have never donated to a campaign in my life, and I am doing it despite the fact that I work in retail and don't make much money at all. I want change, and since either a Bush or Clinton has been in office my whole life, Hillary does not remedy that need for me, our nation as a whole, or in the opinion of the rest of the world. (and don't say that what the world thinks isn't important here, it's clear that it is). We need a candidate who can bring people together, and who is not hanging onto old political baggage. If it's Clinton vs. McCain on voting day, I, a loyal Democrat, will vote for McCain.

January 9, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  19. Heather, Nashville, TN

From the look on Obama's face it's clear that he believes money will buy the White House, how is this different from previous administrations? How is this different from old politics? So where is the change?

January 9, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  20. emmi, uk

joe,

your arguements are totally misleading. America needs change and Hilary is so desperate for power. Obama represents the new breed and the future of America.

January 9, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  21. MT

I am donating every week to Obama – he is the ONLY one who can lead this country.

Obama supporters – anyone who can donate, please give. He needs $$ to fight the corrupt Clinton machine. As we saw in NH, they will do anything to win.

January 9, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  22. South Carolina

so what. hillary's campaign took in $1,000,000 in the first 15 hours of the day, without any fundraising solicitation. and she out fundraised obama in primary money in the fourth quarter.

I'm sticking with Hillary. She's the ONLY one who can lead this country....on day one and provide strong, bold, decisive leadership....

January 9, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  23. Rita Leone

What is WRONG with all these White people voting and supporting Obama...
    A Black Muslim.....these people that are voting and supporting this Snake are
    going to be the very ones to complain if and when he wins and becomes
    President.....A BLACK MUSLIM THAT IS LIEING TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!!
    WAIT! JUST WAIT! HE will raise taxes worse then Bush and HE WILL send all
    of our hard earned tax dollars to Keyna to support his african people with US
    dollars....so keep voting and supporting him America and you will watch our
    Country go to the Al Queda... Al Queda said that they would get to US one way
    or another....in my opinion Obama is their man to destroy the US....

January 9, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  24. Duncan, Richmond, VA

1 million a day and you people still say he is different and out for change? He is a corporate brought politician just like all the others except Ron Paul.

The presidency has been brought out by corporation for years.

January 9, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  25. Patsy

Barack is the 1st politician I have ever contributed money to. He has discussed the issues however it is really hard to cover everything when you have such a short period of time to talk to an entire state. If people want to get to know Barack go to his website and check him out. This country needs to desperately change and he is our man. He inspires me to want to get involved. How long has it been since a politician made you want to do something for this country?? Barack you have my vote. YES WE CAN...let's see how long it takes for the others to copy those words. I am laughing already in anticipation as to who it will be.
    YOU GO BARACK!