January 9th, 2008

Romney pledges to win Michigan

The CNN Ticker

Romney struck a confident tone Wednesday.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) – At a campaign event in Boston the morning after his second-place New Hampshire finish, Republican Mitt Romney repeatedly told reporters he had the most votes and delegates among all GOP presidential contenders: "I'm in first place," he said.

Romney spoke to a crowd assembled at tables in a large conference room who were making fund-raising calls for the former governor. After telling the callers jokingly, "make all the promises you need to," he tried his hand at it, telling the person at the other end of the line, "I've got the lead now."

Romney pledged a win in the Michigan primary, telling volunteers he would be spending “every minute of time” until the January 15 vote stumping in the state, except for a brief break to participate in the South Carolina Republican primary debate.

Romney was born in Michigan, and his father George was governor of the state.

When asked by CNN whether he was putting all his eggs in one basket, Romney pointed to the February 5 “Super Tuesday” states, saying: “Oh, I got more baskets, and there are more baskets coming down the road.”

UPDATE: On Wednesday, Romney's campaign confirmed reports that it had decided to pull television ads in South Carolina and Florida, at least until after the Michigan primary.

"Romney paid media been re-focused away from South Carolina and towards Michigan," a campaign aide told CNN.

The move is surprising in the Palmetto State, because Romney has run television ads for months in South Carolina, spending more on paid media in the state than any other Republican candidate since his campagn first hit the airwaves there in September.

– CNN's Alexander Marquardt and Peter Hamby

Filed under: Michigan • Mitt Romney
  1. Chris, Silicon Valley, CA, USA

I Can't Wait 2008,

You said, "Not only are you not aware of his stand as a politician, but as a member of his faith."

What did I say – mistakenly or otherwise – about his faith?

But, since you brought it up, was he not Mormon all those years when he claimed vehemently to be pro-choice?

Speaking of research, American Right To Life Action has put out a video on this. Please Google them, as I can not post a link here. Are their claims wrong? I am sincerely open to admitting Mitt has been wronged here if you can show me. Help me "research".

Warm regards...

January 14, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  2. Chris, Silicon Valley, CA, USA

PS – I have to admit my post on 1/10 was kind of mean. While it was satirical, I apologize for it altogether. I don't REALLY think he would go that far.

That said, I really don't trust him to help the unborn. I can't. Sorry.

January 14, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  3. I Can't Wait 2008

Chris in Silicon Valley –

Thanks for your postings I appreciate it –

I think what it boils down to is that fact that he as an individual probably due in part to his faith does not condon nor agree with abortion. However, as a religion, they also encourage their members to voice an opion and share those beliefs, but do not force that opinion on others.

American Political Network
    Abortion Report
    Volume 6 No. 69
    Copyright (c) 1994 by American Political Network, Inc.

October 26, 1994

ELECTION 1994 MA SEN: ROMNEY TELLS THE ORIGIN OF HIS PRO-CHOICE VIEW

BOSTON HERALD's Miga reports that pro-choice Sen. Ted
    Kennedy (D) and mixed-record businessman Mitt Romney (R) clashed over abortion in the first of two debates. Kennedy: "My opponent is multiple choice." But Romney insisted that his personal Mormon beliefs "would not dilute his support for abortion rights": "I will not impose my beliefs on other people. I will not waver on that" (10/26).

The script I believe you are refering to goes something like this:

____________________________________________________________

Romney Fairytale Script

Once upon a time there was a man named Mitt who said a very bad thing:
    Romney: "I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country"

____________________________________________________________

I Can't Wait 2008 : I believe that statement may be somewhat out of context, but a woman has the right to make this choice due to the laws as they currently stand, and the safety of the process is important – he lost a member of his extended family to an back room illegally performed abortion in the 60's. That does not mean he agrees with abortion, he is simply concerned about a human life whether it is that of an unborn child or the mother who is making what many would consider a bad decision by having an abortion.
    ____________________________________________________________
    Romney Fairytale con't:

Then he thought of campaigning in Utah and said something different. "I am NOT pro-choice!"

I Can't Wait 2008: Utah already knew this

_____________________________________________________________
    Romney Fairytale con't:

But when he came back to liberal Massachusetts:

Romney: "I will preserve and protect a woman's right to choose."

I Can't Wait 2008 : That is the law as it currently stands – he has sworn to uphold it whether he agrees with it or not.

– Governor Romney, Boston Globe, Op-Ed, July 26, 2005

"I am pro-life. I believe that abortion is the wrong choice except in cases of incest, rape, and to save the life of the mother. I wish the people of America agreed, and that the laws of our nation could reflect that view. But while the nation remains so divided over abortion, I believe that the states, through the democratic process, should determine their own abortion laws and not have them dictated by judicial mandate."

I Can't Wait 2008: Where the state of Massachusetts may choose to uphold the abortion laws as they are currently stated, I am sure states like Utah would ban abortion except in cases of incest, rape or to save the mothers life.
    ____________________________________________________________
    Romney Fairytale Con't

The spell must have worn off.
    Now he's on the campaign trail again, and he's back to being pro-life.
    Romney: "I was pro-choice; I'm pro-life." … "I changed my position" … "I never said I was pro-choice."

I Can't Wait 2008: the "I'm pro-choice, I'm pro-life" ... – the dots usually mean something was omitted – I would love a clarification because " I changed my position" I don't believe he changed his position at all, it's always been pro-life in a state where he can't change the laws he has sworn to uphold.

Narrator: BR: Mitt Romney, willing to sacrifice children, lying for your vote.
    Paid for by American Right-to-Life Action.

_____________________________________________________________
    I Can't wait 2008 : I believe that Mr. Romney is not flip flopping on a personal level – but as govenor he is sworn to uphold what the members of his state and the governing bodies in that state deem as law. Even attempting to overturn that would probably fail as any bill would be shot down by state officials and would be void anyway – as this law can only be changed at a Supreme Court Level.

As President I would like to think his personal beliefs would have some impact on the nation and that abortion would be a thing of the past, but he may never make it that far – We'll see where the vote goes tonight.

P.S. Sorry for the long entry – but you did ask me to do some research – go luck with your candidate, and may the best man win.

January 15, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  4. Chris in Silicon Valley

Well, he won MI tonight. I am kind of glad. It should keep it interesting. I don't like any of these guys thinking they have it won at this point.

Re. abortion, he may well be pro-life if he makes it to the oval office. In fact, all the "flip-flop" charges may cause him to be even more solid on this & other things.

Actually, the more I see of old Romney, the less I object to him. I think it may of helped him to be humbled some.

Re. abortion again, to convince me, here is what I would have to hear from him: "I promise I will appoint ONLY pro-life Supreme Court Justices."

-Chris

January 16, 2008 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  5. Ron

Go get them Mitt.

Most of the media is against him because he is the only conservative out there. Conserv- meaning low taxes and not over spending the dudget.
    Romney will bring a solutions attitude to the executive office.

January 16, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  6. Chris in Silicon Valley

To me, "conservative" would apply abroad as well as at home, and would mean staying within the US Constitution. Would you agree?

January 17, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |