January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. James

what a bunch of crock. I don't believe that for one second.

January 9, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  2. Ed

The tear that launched 5,000 votes. I can't stand it!

My wife, an Obama supporter, voted for Clinton because she felt sorry for her "as a woman." Because "Obama was going to win anyway," she just wanted to show her support to another woman. This could set back universial sufferage 100 years.

January 9, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  3. Randal

Yet another voter deciding by heart rather than mind. Deciding by nothing more than an excellent speech. Give me a break.....delivering an excellent speech is not enough to be the president of United states. The candidate needs to have some experience and insight on how things work, rather than just rhetoric, for the most important job on this planet.

January 9, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  4. JoAnn Reinhardt

I firmly believe the tears and the two days of constant media coverage on every news program gave Hillary her 2 point lead and nothing else. I blame this barage of repeating the same clip of her tearing up over and over again changed the dynamics and eventually gave her this lead. Will she be tearing up the night before every primary? I truly hope people will look at the issues and look toward a new vision for this country, and leave the Bush-Clinton dynasties behind.

January 9, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  5. YU

why is CNN so pro-Obama, their news reports are NOT fair and balenced!

January 9, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  6. A R, Cedar Rapids, IA

Yes, she did vote for Obama. It is sad Hillary used that moment for an "emotional" vote from women. But Obama still got an equal amount of delegates. And he got this womans vote. Way to go Obama!!!

January 9, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  7. Gobama, NY, NY

STATUS QUO MUST GO!

Nominate the self-destructive Clintons for a DIVIDED AMERICA!

This woman was wise.
    She saw through Hilary's Hollywood tears. LOL

The Clintons built a huge White House legacy and proceeded to destroy their own legacy and marriage.

That was the main reason Al Gore was badly humiliated (as Hilary too) by bush in 2000: Self-destructive behaviors of the Clintons!

And the Republicans would take out their long knives should Clinton get the Dem nomination. AND THE COUNTRY WILL BE DIVIDED & NOT PROGRESSED!

January 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  8. Steven Bengtson Sr.

It is interesting CNN twists any Hillary news, seemingly attempting to cheat her of her victory. This will work about as well as old Bob Dole's victory party when he ran for President against Bill! We are HERE HILL!

January 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  9. Tom

She asked the question, saw the 'chick-maneuver' and decided Billary was weak, it almost cost her my vote as well. If Mrs. Bill does anything that weak again, I'll not vote for her!

January 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  10. Cole

Interesting. I like how CNN cut-out some relevant pieces of this story. This woman also felt Clinton returned to Political Form much too quickly after such a response. The press sensationalized this story by not showing the whole clip, it may have been a humanizing moment but it wasnt even 10 seconds before Hillary started attacking her opponents again. She spends 10 minutes throwing mud at Obama, and 5 seconds pretending to be emotional, and that becomes the story. Truly Pathetic. Just goes to show that New Hampshire voters are out of touch with the main stream.

January 9, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  11. Donna W

I'm sorry but "touching" is a president that sheds a tear at the loss of something substantial- not because it's "hard" and they are "tired". I suspect being a president is at times very trying. I'm only hoping Hillary could manage to hold back the tears in a crisis. I don't expect that most foreign leaders will take her very seriously if she can't keep from crying under pressure.

January 9, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  12. Ron, TX

That's such an excellent point. Do you want a candidate who cries for you? Out of stress, thoughts of defeat, and even perhaps a distant idea of making America better? Or do you want a candidate who makes you cry? Out of hope, joy, thoughts of a better America?

January 9, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  13. Richard Staniszewski, Fayetteville GA

AAAAAAh. That leaves me with a warm and fuzzy feeling....NOT!!

January 9, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  14. Tom Dedham, Mass

What was the delicate matter Miss Young?

You simply asked how does she hold up and who does her hair?

Is she going to cry when confronted with a real tough question from a foreign leader?

NOBODY in the media put two and two together and figure out or simply REPORT, that for the last two weeks her CAMPAIGNS STATED GOAL was to portray her in a softer way by bringing out her Mom and previously off limits daughter (in non-speaking ROLES, simple PROPS) and this half assed attempt at tears was the FINAL ACT?

This is pathetic and I don't believe this person ONE BIT, anyone care to bet that she was not simply ANOTHER Clinton plant?

January 9, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  15. curt

I don't buy her tears as real emotion....everything she does is calculated and her "emotion" was most likely premeditated to make her seem more human.

January 9, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  16. ken

How about this, If Obama will not be the nominee, mayor bloomberg will weigh in!
    Now that will be exciting to watch!

January 9, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  17. Another Steve

Considering how many votes Hillary got outta this display it outta be telling folks something when the very person asking this voted for Obama. Too bad no one saw this yesterday before polls closed. I don't see Hillary being able to win the general election, too many people still don't like her and the Republicans will chew her up over all the baggage her and Bill have. Yes, we have to include Bill in this as well cause he continues to insert himself in this election as if he were running. This is to me the worse part of the Clintons campaign and I wish he'd just go back to giving over priced speeches and let Hillary stand on her own. As President it will be expected of her.

January 9, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  18. CDR

"THERE IS SOMETHING HAPPENING IN AMERICA!" Since August The Honorable Senator Barack Obama has been gaining increasing momentum. In late December, the Obama campaign closed a huge double digit gap in New Hampshire. On January 3rd, the Obama campaign swept Iowa and on January 8th in New Hampshire, (largely a Clinton stronghold) the Clinton regime escaped defeat only by the skin of there teeth by 2 percentage points but not without deploying very NEGATIVE, UNDERHANDED, and SUSPECT tactics which will surely hunt the Clinton regime.

Despite the inflated overprojections from most polls days before the NH Primary, CLINTON IS NO COMEBACK . Never place too much stock in polls, particularly when vetted against reason, and it was unreasonable to expect a nearly 40 percent voting difference over a 2 week time frame from previous steady and consistent projections. However, the Obama campaign did make significant large margins of gain. The Obama Campaign drew larger crowds compared to both Clintons. The Clinton regime, should have coasted through NH but they limped out barely and it is reasonable for every expert to say that the Clinton regime is underperforming and some triumphant comeback is not the case as the Clinton regime continues to lose ground.

"THERE IS SOMETHING HAPPENING IN AMERICA!" and it is can be simply put that the Clinton regime "The Establishment" is losing votes and the Barack Obama Campaign "The Future" is gaining votes and delegates. CHANGE is on the Horizon and "Yes ,we can be the CHANGE we want to see in the World when we BELIVE and VOTE for Barack OBAMA (A CHAMPION FOR THE PEOPLE and "THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP!")

OBAMA '08

-CDR

January 9, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  19. ******

How about if we say election rigged!

January 9, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  20. Wayne, Greenville TX

James January 9, 2008 2:36 pm ET

what a bunch of crock. I don't believe that for one second.

Yet I suppose you believe each and every word any of the right-wing hatemongors (Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, etc) and every Republican candidate say, right??

January 9, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  21. Jen, NYC, NY

I don't understand why there was so much coverage over Hillary breaking down in the first place. I still think this question was a 'plant', just like some of the planted questions in her earlier campaigns.

January 9, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  22. stan pitts pa

yeah thats cause up close and personal she could see hrc is sooooo fake! she made a smart call!

January 9, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  23. joanna

People can be so easily taken. "Crying" and "breaking up" usually suggests tears ... but where WERE the tears?? I watched it several times – never saw tears or heard a breaking voice – just acting that alot of people actually fell for.

Such an obvious play for sympathy ... I'm scared to death now we're looking at the next US President – God help us!!

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." Exactly what did this say? Sounds like she's saying if the country doesn't elect her, she'll miss alot of opportunities! ??

- joanna

January 9, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  24. Del

hasn't anyone notices what she really said ? ? she cannot take the word "I" out of her vocabulary. " I have so any opportunities in this country" she saw them slipping away so if the tears could happen to be anywhere close to real that's the reason. For hilly-billy clan it is impossible for them to se our country as a whole. It's just THEM . THEIR ambitions. their power , their controll. I hope we as a whole country wake up soon. Doesn't matter what side of the political isle you're on . We all need to wake up. Neither side has much to cheer about. At least Sen. Obama seems real and honest . I certainly don't agree with him on his social issues. I don't think our country would be safer or our boarders would be secure. or our military stronger in his administration. But that's up to each of us to decide for ourselves.

January 9, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  25. JJ in NY

Mrs. Clinton deserves an Emmy for her theatrical performance on Monday. I guess you can get blood from a stone if the time is right and the cameras are rolling .

January 9, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |