January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. V. Leonard

Hey, she's allowed to show emotion; many men have done so. I don't think it was fake.
    However, I also don't think she's the better choice, and I would not have been swayed by the tears one way or the other.
    I seriously doubt most voters were convinced by the show of emotion. Ultimately, this is a different group of people than we saw in Iowa, and they have made their choices for reasons they believe in.
    The huge turnout has renewed my faith in my country once again.

Also, if you're a Democrat, let's remember who the real enemy here is... it's not Hillary or Barack; either would make a much better President than ANY of the brain-dead Republicans (whose constituency makes a choice based on "personality" - gotta love that!)

January 9, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  2. jerzee gal

Why doesn't any see the hillary's so-called experience is in what we don't want for this country. Obama is the best choice because I don't think washington has had enough time to corrupt him. Clinton's "act" worked but even when kids cry they don't just get their way! Please America, don't let the tears fool you, she didn't even show emotion when her husband cheated on her. And a question about how you get up in the morning does, get real!!! Her husbands cheating was not going to affect her career.

January 9, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  3. Justin, Houston, TX

So let's get this straight. We're voting for a President based on the fact that he can give a speech that makes you cry. Wow, and I thought that stupid issues like the economy and global terror mattered. Silly me.

January 9, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  4. Anna, Cleveland, OH

To Tom in Mass. You probably think that I am a juvenile, naive, adolescent who only believe what their mommy tells them. Well I am far from being that stupid.We all have our ways of stating opinions. But I just personally believe that anyone who cries during a campaign shows that they can't handle being in the White House.

What are we to do pull out a dirge and sing because she sheds one tear?

I don't know, maybe i'm speaking in jargon to some people because i'm so young.

January 9, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  5. Xavierism

It can't be easy for a woman to play on a man's political field. It's hard enough for a woman to gain respect in a man's world. People seem to feel more pity for Britney Spears than for a woman that is doing her best to make this country a better place. Love her or hate but Hillary has earned the respect to be a leading presidential candidate. I, for one, am proud to be a Hillary Clinton supporter! *CHEERS*

January 9, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  6. anonymous

I just do not understand it! This young lady asked Hillary about how she was holding up during her presidential campaing or quote "Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign " (CNN).

Hillary saw it as an opportunity to advance her own agenda which is bashing Senator Obama.

Hillary,these types of tactics will not get you in the White House and shows the public who you really are.

I used to like you on the strength that you are Bill's wife and was very hopeful that you and (him) could get the job done with another opportunity in the White House, but now I am convinced that you are only looking out for Hillary's best interests and no one else... including the American People.

People, do no make the mistake of voting for Hillary.... Vote for someone who truly cares about our ... the American People best interest.

January 9, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  7. Tim

Do you all think that this second installment of the story (the voter who asked the question and then voted differently) is really newsworthy? I mean, who really cares? The story reads more like a gossip column to me. ABCNews should be focusing on the real, substantive issues of the campaign that are facing Americans instead of trying to get additional mileage on yesterday's news. Such tripe...

January 9, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  8. Ken Harris

OK Lynne, you're not the first person to say the things you've said. Will you be the first person to perhaps give us some examples of Hillary's greatness? Or are you operating kinda by the seat of your pants like the rest of us? What is it that you think you know about HRC and her ability to find her way to work, let alone run the free world? BTW, we could care less what you know about Bill, and yes the two should be treated separately! As for Barack, what is it that you think know about him that even remotely suggests he can't back up his words, no matter how expertly he articulates them? And finally, since when is it such a sin to be a master orator? The answer is since this particular orator is sooooo much better at it and soooo much more convincing than HRC... THINK! VOTE OBAMA!!!

January 9, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  9. Benjamin Onorato

I don't know why people keep using the word "crying" when Clinton was obviously not "crying". Clinton showed great strength to restrain her tears, it's called being choked up, and I do that (as a MALE) frequently when discussing the things in life I am passionate about, and the moments in my life that are dear to my heart. When I discuss my hopes for this nation at this time in it's short and brief history, I too become emotional; sometimes angry, sometimes desperate for people to understand the responsibilities each of us have as a US citizen, and a human being. I fear for what can happen to us, and I fear the society that exists today has become overly self-centered and demanding to realize what is at stake, and how are daily actions attribute to our degradation. This is a woman who is ready to be President, and has a thorough plan for the 1st 100 days and more. I don't see that in the junior senator from Illinois. I wouldn't put an inexperienced, and unprepared person in charge of a small company, let alone the most powerful nation in the world at a crucial point in its history. Popularity is not the key to a Presidency, and I partially blame the media for allowing popularity to govern its coverage.

January 9, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  10. Dem

I used to like Obama. Today I don't. I feel he is not real. Whatever he says is like he's reciting some paragraphs in famous articles, poems, and text books. We need someone who talks from his heart, not from somewhere else.

January 9, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  11. let's be real

75% of these comments against Clinton's crying episode are poorly thought out, lack any support, and should be ignored. It's funny how you guys think you can just judge someone negatively just because they had a crying episode. Get over yourselves. This should not be focused around one person's breakdown (real or not) but more about the issues at hand. Whether she meant it or not is not what matters. I will say I was caught off guard by her rare display, and I do not for a second believe that it was staged. Did it influence my decision to lean towards her? Nope. Does Obama's main weakness influence my decision to lean towards Clinton? Yep. You guys sit here deluded by the concept of "change."

Let's be real... Obama is truthful in what he says, but the question is, can he bring about this change given the amount of experience he has? My answer is no. I think that is the main problem with Obama. If I could feel more comfortable knowing he had some valuable experience, then I would vote Obama. But he clearly isn't experienced, and he fails to tackle some of the other topics some of the other people have commented on. It's like saying you will build a house with the intent of actually building the house... but with no experience or knowledge of how to build a house there's a good chance you won't finish the house in the time you're given. If we elect Obama, we may have to suffer through the fact that he may not be able to bring all of those changes he's promised because he doesn't have the right experience to do the job in a timely fashion.

January 9, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  12. Tim

oops, I meant CNN. :-)

January 9, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  13. alessandro

From Canada, you know what we see?
    a president that is just the worst you ever had and it's a mystery how you were able to re-elect him, the next one whoever will be will have a hell of a time trying to fix the mess this one put you in, then i read a lot of comments about Clinton trying to get the vote "of women", like you are talking about cattle.
    We are afraid that America is not ready for real democracy, Americans will not vote for a black or a woman, you are not ready for a president that belongs to one of those groups, that's why your decline will continue.
    You have a even a candidate that is a creationist! Not even the Pope himself is a creationist! do you realize how backward your society is compared to the rest of the first world?
    change is the world used most, GROW UP i say, that's the word you should use and we all hope that something will hit your society and open your eyes.
    wish very little hope, Alessandro (european living in canada and lived 7 years in the US)

January 9, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  14. Steve, Lyons, CO

I've never heard such flat-out B.S.

Has anyone watched the video? Except for a split-second catch in her voice, there were no other outward signs of emotion. Crying? Now way, liars.

The media should be shot for this crap. Of course, the media has been letting Criminal Dubya talk about Iran as a threat these days when we ALL know how much Dubya's lying his butt off.

What happened to real reporting? Is this the Murdoch effect, or just a general spinelessness? Where are the Woodwards and Bersteins?

HOW IS BUSH GETTING AWAY WITH THIS CRAP?

That's the news that should be in the ticker, not this laughable nonsense about Clinton getting emotional.

OUR COUNTRY IS GETTING TRASHED. REPORT ON THAT.

January 9, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  15. Alexandra

It was choreographed… She was going to cry no matter what, she knew she had to and so she did it!

January 9, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  16. Sherry

Just spare me.

Men have ran this country for 300 yrs. You have not practiced any of the non-sexist attitudes you suddenly want women to practice. Quit your belly-aching. The time for a woman is now. The time for Hillary is now. We all know who really ran the country while Bill Clinton was in office. "BEHIND EVERY GOOD MAN...THERE IS A GOOD WOMAN. Be honest. Everyone of you have been mothered at sometime or other. There is nothing more tender , than, a mother's loving.

January 9, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  17. BUNNY

IT IS JUST AMAZING TO ME HOW EVERYTHING A PERSON DO OR SAY IS PART OF WHATEVER...WHAT NEEDS TO BROUGHT OUT IN THE OPEN IS THAT THE YOUNG PEOPLE WILL PICK THE NEXT PRESIDENT...MAN, WOMAN OR CHILD....NOT THE POLLSTERS....

January 9, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  18. Ken Harris

To lbr, jersey city, nj... Please spare me the sanctimonious crap! He does exactly what he should be doing when playing to an audience at the end of the primary, he inspired them...more about feelings than substance. There are countless sources to hear or read about his materful views on the issues. Have you looked into any of them or are you simply glued to your TV waiting to be told how the world really is with the rest of ths sheep? Hmmmm.. GO BARACK!!!

January 9, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  19. Jeanine G

He opened a school in his Father's country, his father's family has a farm and from what I've heard they haven't asked for help. What kind of "help should Obama give his Father's family?

Should he bring them here? They don't want to leave.
    Should he make them rich? They aren't starving, they have simple needs and don't seem to want what they don't need.

And how does ANYONE ELSE know what Obama does or does not do for his Father's side of the family other then that? Does he need to account to anyone if he sends Grandma Obama an FTD floral arrangement on her birthday?

get real. Tell us what YOU know of his extended family and what they have asked him for that he is depriving them of. We'll wait for the answer.....a...long....time.

January 9, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  20. Marlene

Well ms Young, you made a big mistake by going against Hillary. I would think all the women in this country would be sick to death of MEN and their energy. Lets bring a women who is very strong and passionate. GO HILLARY!

January 9, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  21. Lars

I guess we all forgot that Clinton was a great president who overall did great things for America and was LOVED overseas... Both Bush's failed and idiots are using their 'dynasty' to hate a possible second Clinton from winning.

YEP... because CLINTON = BUSH

Shows how hateful and stupid the Americans are. Democrats might not dig up Obama's past... but the Republicans sure will. They already have their ads made... so Democrats vote the person that CAN win.

January 9, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  22. Nancy

Iam very disappointed in CNN's endorsement of Obama. I had never heard Wolf Blitzer criticizing President Bill Clinton so harshly. Clinton had a right to say what he said (since it was proven to be true")
    I think we need the Clinton's back in Washington.

There are a couple of questions I would like to see someone ask Obama: I doubt that anyone will, but I would like to hear the answer. The questions are:
    Do you believe in standing for the pledge to the flag? Would you be willing to put your hand on the Bible to be sworn into office? Americans need to make sure they are informed. We can't just look on the surface but we better concentrate on issues, record of achievement and not just listen to cnn and fox news. They might be biased. We know some of them are. I trust each individual decision more than I do these political pundits. After all you can bet they have an agenda different to the average working American. Make sure you are informed and that you vote for who YOU think will be best for AMerica.

January 9, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  23. Ryan, San Mateo

If you are listening to the speeches and evaluate the two top runners, it is obvious that Hillary is far more prepared, experienced and knowledgable to run America. 'Nice Guy' isn't enough to run a country. He lacks substance and he is riding Hillary's coat tails. I see it in every speech he makes. CNN being so anti Hillary does not make a bit of difference to me. The Media has tried hard to push her out but it doesn't work with me. I see right thru them.

January 9, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  24. BR-New York City

Linda January 9, 2008 3:04 pm ET

You…the Media, tried to cruicfiy Hillary…but, it didn't work, did it??? This thing has just started, so Give us a BREAK!
    Nobody works as hard and sincere for this country as Hillary Clinton. Why do we want a "Rookie" that won't pledge to our flag, when our young people are dying for it and coming home maimed…What's wrong with you people?????!
    We aren't "stupid" out here, so don't do our thinking for us, Thank You…we'll do it ourself. We need experience to Clean up the Bush mess.

Linda,

NEWS FLASH!!!

YES, YOU ARE STUPID

January 9, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  25. enlightened

I know poll numbers really don't mean much after last night but I'd just like to note that polls show that when asked who someone would vote for without providing candidate names, it overwhelmingly shows that a Dem would trounce a Rep. When they used Hillary as a specific candidate, it was split right down the middle just like we as a nation are right now. She is the only chance a Republican has to get into office.

Most want change and across the board most are willing to give a Democratic candidate not named Hillary a shot. If it doesn't speak volumes to registered Dem's that even Republicans would vote Democrat as long as it isn't Clinton, I'm not sure what would convince anyone she isn't the best option. Again, if she is truly the only person you believe in, so be it. But please, please try and look at things objectively.

I still think Obama gives us as a country the best chance at getting back on track.

January 9, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |