January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Ashley cf iowa

I believe Hillary Clinton was truly emotional and she truly meant what she said. I don't believe a candidate would make up something like that to get votes, she is a very strong women and she sees how this country is falling apart due to war, debt, economic status, oil, etc and she wants change. I feel that most people overlook the great things she has done for this country. She has FAR more experience over Barack Obama (who only has 2 years experience). People should really research everything she has made better for 1000s of people just while being a senator.

You need to stop and think, can Obama sit with world leaders and make major decisions? Can he handle the ENTIRE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA with only TWO YEARS of political experience? He is very young and appeals to minorities and young people, but do those people stop and think. Just because he entertains well at rallies, will he be able to MAKE THE RIGHT CHANGES OR DECISIONS with the little experience he has? He has started to change his mind several times on what he plans on doing in the White House. What is actually going to do? Hillary on the other hand, has stuck with her ideas and hasn't changed them. She knows what the United States needs and knows how to do it.

PLEASE RECONSIDER THE CANDIDATES AND RESEARCH THE CANDIDATES AND PICK THE BEST ONE. THEY ARE GOING TO BE LEADING OUR COUNTRY AND THEY WILL BE CHANGING THE WORLD FOR OUR KIDS AND EVEN YOURSELF. EACH AND EVERY VOTE COUNTS...SO GET OUT AND VOTE IN NOVEMBER AND AT YOUR PRIMARY!!!

Who has the best experience? Who will be able to stand up against pressure from other nations? Who has the best plans? Who will be able to get things done?

January 9, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  2. Ryan, New York, NY

wondering in MA January 9, 2008 3:34 pm ET -
    People have brought up Mitt's Mormon religion, and Huckabee's christen symbols, why has no one touched on the Muslim education that Obama received. or am I totally wrong and his father and others were not Muslim and had no influence on him? This might not be politically correct but since we are electing a president in these troubled times it is an issue to bring out in the open, address and put to rest – as some of us are wondering and some are afraid to bring up the issue.

What are you talking about when you say "why has no one touched on the Muslim education that Obama received?" It's been repeatedly commented on by tons of bigots like yourself every day on the liberal-leaning CNN Ticker and far more on the right wing sites. I've heard it mentioned on the mainstream news all the time by folks trying to cut him down because they've got so little to grasp.

Obama has been a member of a Christian church for some time now. His father, who you correctly state is Muslim, left his family when Barack was 2 to return to Kenya. How much politics and religion do you think he could have instilled even if his father were a devout Muslim (he's not devout)?

January 9, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  3. Dave in Western NY

After reading many of the comments here, it is obvious many throw their votes away and I don't know why. I'm over 50, not the part of the younger demographic that Obama is supposed to be catering to, but no matter. Even though I almost always vote Republican and find myself significantly at odds with Obama's positions at this point, I am certain he is honest and I know that honest people can deal respectfully with others who do not agree with them. I would like to have seen Al Gore as President, too, inasmuch as I believe him to be an honest man; the point is that I am not tethered blindly to a political party, nor should anyone else – it's part of the corruption of our political system.

As far as experience, I believe both Gore and Obama have had enough experience to get started as President. Clinton would never get my vote because honesty trumps experience when the experience claimed is questionable as well. Those of us in New York who can honestly say Clinton has done much as Senator need to be able to offer the proof; as far as I know, the only thing she's done upstate is give the Corning company some assistance, which was no surprise because as the New York Times reported on April 12, 2006 "Hillary Clinton is a leading champion of Corning Inc., one of her largest sources of campaign contributions."

January 9, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. Chris Brignole

This is great. Now we get to see Hillary & Bill cry at every stop. This is about the Clinton's and what they believe is their right rather than what is good for America. If it was about America the Clinton's would not have run because of the huge divide they create within the voting public. Remeber Hillary has "so many opportunities for America". The great political joke on America continues and we are the fools buying into it.

January 9, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  5. Ed,Ellenville,New York

People has it escaped your attention that Obama's support comes from McCain supporters? Haven't you asked yourselves why? Why a McCain supporter would disregard all issues and claim allegiance to Obama? Obama is just being used by Hillary haters that want to derail her candidacy. The recurring threat is that if she wins,they'll vote republican. I hate to break it to you,but they're voting republican anyway. McCain lost his support in 2000 from a smear that he had a black baby. Are these the people that will vote for a black guy that spends most of his time at Jesse Jackson's house? I think not. Sure it would be nice to think that a well educated black guy could appeal to poorly educated and ethically challenged white folks, but reality is going to prevail. People that consistently post juvenile anti-Hillary rants and try to claim that her supporters are playing video games in their mother's basement are not the types to want a constitutional law professor as president. This whole Obama campaign and the "something in the air" is just anti-Hillary hype that will evaporate in the general election. Find a Hillary supporter that will support Obama and I'll show you an adult that votes on the issues. Tom-you really need to see a professional about your inferiority complex.

January 9, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  6. Nancy McGreevy

The attempts by the remorseful press, for being mean to Hillary, and the Republican spokespeople who so much want her to be the candidate; I have decided tv' and Republican operatives defile the process. And I also want to tell Bill Clinton to shut up, as we have all heard more than enough from him. Did he give Hillary lip biting lessons before her phony awakening? I say Obama, Obama, Obama!

January 9, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  7. corrine

She was told to cry, she cried, now that fact is deciding if she will be president or not, she is the same person she was , before she shed those crocodile tears, it doesn't change anything , she is still the same person, it only proves she can cry on cue....i was all for her before i heard her now i am tired of her tired of her voice, her smirks and "35 years experience", it's time for "change" new fresher people need to be in office to bring about what everyone wants which is the ability to live and not worry about which RICH Company is getting all the benefits and our hard earned money

January 9, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  8. Eric, from THE Republic of Texas

Sorry, a VOTER did not make Clinton cry... a campaign strategist or focus group made her cry, likely suggesting this tactic a day or two earlier.

Nothing, NOTHING, is ever coincidental or unplanned with the Clintons. Nothing. In fact, her presidential run has been planned for nearly 40 years, and nothing, NOTHING, is going to stand in the way of what she believes she's "entitled" to.

January 9, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. Jason

Even if, for one second, you believe that Clinton's tears were not a plan of some sort of political strategy to help expose a 'more emotional side', it still does not show well upon any leader.

If the stress of the campaign trail causes her to break down into tears, how could we as citizens trust her to be able to make incredibly stressful decisions every day for four years without pause? If this minor difficulties and media frenzy causes her to get teary eyed because of one question by a citizen, how is she really going to be able to handle herself in office?

Don't feel sorry for her. Don't vote for her because she's a woman. Vote based upon who you truly believe can make an effective president. Obama has the charisma, the speaking qualities and the drive to enact a real change. He was the first to preach that now abused buzzword and it is only coming from him that it seems a real possibility. The rest are simply politicians all hoping for their spot in power, Obama is the only one who truly appears to care for making things right. I cast my vote for him.

January 9, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  10. Christian, Tampa FL

While I also believe that Obama has a unique and credible resume that qualifies him for the Presidency, I sincerely think that his ability to energize and inspire should not be underestimated. When a leader moves the American people to take part in solving an array of complex problems, such as the myriad that America faces, that leader is far more successful than an "experienced" candidate who cannot, whether they intend it or not, unite the country.

We do not elect a King, we elect a President who guides policies but must ultimately rely on the support of the people.

January 9, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  11. E. C., Houston, Texas

IF Hillary did win the Democratic Nomination, she would have a very hard time, if not impossible chore, in finding any man or woman who would want to be her Vice-President! Perhaps....Madeleine Albright?

January 9, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. Jen, NYC, NY

La'Kitgum,

FYI, 'Orientals' are rugs...we're called 'Asians' in the 21st century.

January 9, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  13. CensoredByCNN, Roxboro, NC

joanna January 9, 2008 2:55 pm ET

People can be so easily taken. "Crying" and "breaking up" usually suggests tears … but where WERE the tears?? I watched it several times – never saw tears or heard a breaking voice – just acting that alot of people actually fell for.

Such an obvious play for sympathy … I'm scared to death now we're looking at the next US President – God help us!!

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." Exactly what did this say? Sounds like she's saying if the country doesn't elect her, she'll miss alot of opportunities! ??

- joanna

Joanna,

Hillary did indeed get opportunities. Tough luck for most Americans though. Most of us get a life of servitude and political correctness. If I lived in Hillary's world, I'd be afraid of "falling backwards" too.

I sure hope this New Hampshire thing doesn't carry any momentum! Bizarre outcome for a state whose motto is " Live Free or Die".

January 9, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  14. Ken Harris

Hey Kathie In Arkansas: This has nothing to do with the glass ceiling, at least not for Hillary. Her opportunities are now and have always been endless. I for one am ready for a woman president, just not this one! It has to do with the way she so shamelessly panders to anyone and everyone. Have you been watching the same HRC as me? She's in the south, she puts on a phony southern accent. She comes across too cold and her advisors tell her to soften up, so she almost cries. She is accused of being too connected to Bill or visa versa, the whole coat tails thing, so she "reinvents" her campaign in a matter of days by telling everyone she is on her own, no Bill attached, just Hillary. Meanwhile, at that very moment, he's stumping for her with the whole woe-is-me, the media is being unfair conspiracy argument while trashing Obama as the votes were being cast in NH. Classic Clinton politics, but no substance...zero!!! Sure, Barack presents himself well, but why is he being criticized for that so loudly? I'll tell ya' why... Because he outshines the one whom so many think is entitled to the Whitehouse, HRC. He has written a book that more than adequately addresses and analyzes the issues and the background. He has had countless forums, interviews, etc. where he lays things out. Hillary continues to tells us what we want to hear. She always has. It's called pandering and the Clintons are the masters at it! Speaking of Hillary, maybe you'll be the first one to share all of this great experience. What has she done beyond tag along with Bill...really? How much longer has she been in the Senate than Barack? The comparisons are as desperate as they are unreal. The only cool thing is that I think America is waking up to it! Get real! VOTE OBAMA!

January 9, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  15. Tom Davie

I can tell you all its not rocket science that if Hillary becomes preident, she will be tapping one of the most popular and effective presidents by her side.

However, this is also to say that Hillary herself had no say in Bills administration. While we can look to Laura Bush and say that is reasonable, not with Hillary Clinton. She is highly educated and motivated .

We also will look to Elenor Roosevelt , whom was probably behind 80% of everything FDR did.

If you hate the Clintons, nothing is going to change your mind. But keep the mud slinging out of it. Snide and hatred are not going to get Obama elected. Neither is super HYPE with no substance.

Voting in hillary clinton is somewhat voting in a two term president. Suggesting anything else is foolish and naive.

January 9, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  16. EE

Let someone quote me in a month's time. Winning thru croc tears is her very doom.Now voters know the tricks .Will she cry again in Nevada, South Carolina etc? Maybe Bill will. Ok then Chelsea.

Hilary is going to lose this elections big time very resorting to crafty political manouvres. Obama now gets the authenticiy vote hands down.Watch!

January 9, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  17. Mary Dykes

The implication that women decided who to vote for because a candidate was moved to tears is insulting to women. Women know far better than men that talk is cheap and that people's future actions are best predicted by their past actions. Women will use their heads AND their hearts but not solely their emotions to make their voting decisions. How about you guys?

January 9, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  18. mORf

Hillary is more threatening to Bush then Obama. I mean Bush may hate an event like a Black man as Unblack (skin color not so much stereotypical branding ) Obama may be and Bush only needing Blacks in the "I CAN USE YOU" department as opposed to the "YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING" department a woman like Hillary is more of a threat to the Republican party particularly Bush and his JUNTA then Obama because you can tell he's not only racist but a male shovanist. And Hillary I'm certain if elected would place upon him the impression of a Laura Bush with Balls... Litteraly... HAHAHAHAHA
    Bend over dumbya mama's c'ming in and all your repub buddies can make a line they're next.
    MUAHAHAHAHA

January 9, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  19. Steve

"Iam very disappointed in CNN's endorsement of Obama. I had never heard Wolf Blitzer criticizing President Bill Clinton so harshly. Clinton had a right to say what he said (since it was proven to be true")"

CNN is the new FOX? Sure acts like so......

January 9, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  20. Gobama

STATUS QUO MUST GO!

Tracy Michaels January 9, 2008 3:10 pm ET

Your thinking is noble but naive.

The low down Clintons ARE THE ONES WHO DRAW FIRST BLOOD UNPROVOKED!

Instead of seeking to convince Americans what the shameless and self-destructive Clintons will do for the country (not much), they attacked Obama's person and campaign for America, and why?

Last time we check, SELF-PRESERVATION & SELF-PROTECTION is an essential for ANY human being or group?

The overly ambitious and SELF-ABSORBED Clintons were unable to connect with Americans (and rightly so) in the furtherance of their PERSONAL Clintonian AMBITIONS!

Failing to TRICK AMERICANS, the Clintons sought to APPEAL TO THE LOWEST IN US.

Unfortunately, some Americans do not want CHANGE; through spite, the Clintons are willing to fuel divisiveness, STAGNATION and recession!

STATUS QUO MUST GO!

January 9, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  21. Joe Josiah

Gotta love the women's comments who caused the Clinton tears, "I had to go with my feelings..."

That's a fantastic way to determine your potential next president, lady. ::: sarcasm:::

January 9, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  22. Kyle G. Columbia SC

Why does America constantly allow itself to be fooled time after time after time? If you honestly believe DEEP down in your soul that Hillary was REAL then your vote is valid to me. However if you don't believe that people would go through extreme measures to WIN then maybe you have a slight problem. Their is this old cliche' that President Bush has pulled on America and it says "FOOL me ONCE shame on YOU, FOOL me TWICE shame on ME." Just think about it....... Were you fooled? Ask you SOUL not your mind

January 9, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  23. B.O.

What I find amazing is that I wrote a great comment in support of Clinton that, if read, would probably have stopped some people and changed their minds about some things, but somehow, despite it's authenticity, and superior wording in comparison to some of the mud being thrown around, it did NOT make this page after mediation? How is that? Wow...I wish I copied what I wrote down, because i would post it again and again till it made this page. But instead, let's post the comments that read as though an uneducated illiterate wrote them with little or no real knowledge of what's going on.

January 9, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  24. Jim

"J" – You are right ref Obama's Church and Racist link –

I just saw on "Situation Room" Reporter was in Kenya talking to 2 of Obama's relatives and asked them what they wanted to say

"Good Luck and bring Power to Africa"

What the Hell was that all about?

January 9, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  25. Grayson Powell

I find it interesting how the media has portrayed Senator Hillary Clinton and her emotional display versus the emotional moment of Governor Mitt Romney. He was criticized as weak, whereas Senator Clinton is characterized as "human and accessible". The media, which I thought was supposed to be unbiased, reporting the facts, is unfortunately, skewed by the individuals who write the news and report it. The Liberal Machine is in action, and it makes me sick. Our local newspaper's headline read, "McCain Trounces Romney" and makes it sound as though he was leaps and bounds ahead. He was 5 points ahead. In tiny New Hampshire, that doesn't equate to many voters. Anything to sell a paper. Pitiful. I don't believe ANY candidate, Democrat, Independent or Republican, would've been able to accomplish what Romney did at the Olympics. It was a HUGE accomplishment, and yet the media would rather show a clip of Huckabee playing the guitar than a feature of how Romney turned the Olympics from millions of dollars in the red to a million dollar profit-making event. Could Huckabee have done that? How about Obama or McCain, Clinton or Guliani? Doubtful, highly doubtful. Romney can turn this deficit-ridden government of ours into something we can all be proud of. I KNOW he can!

January 9, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |