January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Ryan, New York, NY

ZIGAFUSE in Belton, SC January 9, 2008 4:45 pm ET

I have to say, CNN's Candy Crowley has had this demeaning, somber, and unexcited tone about Hillary, while the rest of the CNN crew is obviosly supporting and rallying behindObama. CNN, please keep it real. I am disappointed.

A month ago, everyone was complaining that the coverage was all skewed in favor of Hillary, now the rest of the crew is obviously supporting Obama???

I don't know what little clips you're hearing that cause you to think that everyone's behind Obama, but I watch enough CNN to know that's not the truth. Wolf Blitzer throws her softballs at every debate, half of the post-election coverage team are former Clinton staffers (Begala, Carville, Gergen). It wouldn't be possible for Carl Bernstein to kiss her butt any more than he after Iowa or last night in New Hampshire.

Which CNN personalities do you think are favoring Obama? Maybe you just got so used to watching CNN do nothing but cover her favorably that now that they've got to cover Obama because he's a competitor with a chance of winning the nomination, you think they're biased.

January 9, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  2. Kris

It is something else to see all of these Obama supporters again spin their spite towards Hillary. First they said the question was a plant when Hillary teared up. Now they were proven wrong. Then they say she got the media to show that clip over and over again, yet she was blasted by those commentators for it every single time it was shown.

I applaud New Hampshire for voting with their heads. Obama is a great speaker and has great style, but it will be substance that we need in the United States to get us out of the terrible predicaments we're in now. Obama ran 8 years to early. We are in peril domestically and overseas. And I am certainly not going to leave those issues in the hands of someone who barely has state level experience let alone at a national or international level.

Here's to hoping Hillary gets the nomination and then Bloomberg/Hagel jump in on their own ticket. That would give me the opportunity to sit down and make an EDUCATED decision on two great camps on who will be our next president.

January 9, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  3. Brimestone2all

Look, folks. Racism is still alive in a very subtle manner. You want Dems to win, it's Hillary who is the best bet. The repubs will smother Barack with the race card, "muslim" and "african" background. Oh, yes. Would you tell a pollster that you would not vote for person of different color? I think that's one of the factors that happened in the NH primary with "independents" (really repubs in their heart) who voted in the Dem primary. The repubs will play these card and background on Barack if he gets the Dem nomination. The repubs would like Barack to win. There are a lot of negatives Barack has to surmount. Dems, be realistic and pragmatic. Go for Hillary. She is the person those Repubs who fear most.

January 9, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  4. jeff

Please – her crying was totally staged and calibrated. Just another gimmick to do whatever it takes to win.

January 9, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  5. Tara G.

I had an opportunity to hear Mrs. Clinton speak at a woman's conference in New York last year. After that experience, I was an avid "Hillary 4 Prez" supporter....until yesterday. I was appalled at the pretence of tears. Throughout this whole campaign, she and her staff have attacked Obama at every turn. Two volunteers and a staffer were either, asked to resign or left on their own, because of their mud slinging. Now she wants to be overcome by her passions for this country. And, what does "I have so many opportunities from this country " mean anyway?

Obama '08

January 9, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  6. ed

I think it was all a ploy to get people to feel sorry for her!!!
    She was losing and had to try something. It was probably Bill's idea!!

January 9, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. oldfolks101

what has hillary done for the 9/11 heros that are fighting for their lives with the effects of september 11

January 9, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  8. Obama/Edwards..the DREAM team

Clinton stated, after her victory in N.H., that she has finally found her voice. My question is why it took her 35 years, a couple debates, and losing an Iowa caucus to find her “voice”? The problem we face is that many Democrats, like me, will not vote for her. I guarantee that a Republican will when Presidency, if her name is on the ballot. She is not supported by many Democrats. Although, I will not vote Republican, she wouldn't get it either. I would just catch a movie during the polls, and for the first time not vote!

January 9, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  9. Bina Ngonan

By their deeds, you can know them. By their words, you can see their minds and hearts. The preceding and perhaps the following hailstorm of anti-Hillary comments are indicative of the low level of mentality of her detractors. Unknown to them, the spin-off maelstrom of their ad hominems, condemnations and insults which betray their low education and poor thinking and their boiling hatred of her is producing what outcome – the soon head-scratching and confounding phenomenon that this horde of pro-Obama's supporters are PULLING and PUTTING Barack Obama FURTHER down. He himself would disown them for good for he would not and could not stomach much less tolerate the negative values they project of themselves to the American media audience. This horde of misplaced Americans is really NOT for CHANGE but for a culture of hatred, animosity, bias, envy as the wave of the future for Americans. They bring down to the ground the very HOPE that Barack is trying to lift into and nurture in the hearts and minds of Americans. They are doing him a DISSERVICE of the first order. All right, they deserve free speech, but they do not deserve the consideration of people in their right mind. You know, like they and the press did before the NH primary voting hours, they are again bound to fail and Hillary will reap the fruit of their anti-Barack actuations. Number 1 of Barack's political agenda is to silence them once and for all, not only for his sake but also his law and his responsible supporters' sake.

January 9, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  10. STEPHEN

HILLARY DID FIND HER VOICE, BY LISTENING , SHE SPENT HER WEEK LISTENING TO BARAK'S STUMP, FIVE MAJOR PIECES FROM HER SPEECH WAS WERE DIRECT ALUSIONS TO THE SPEECH BARAK HAS BEEN GIVEN FOR MONTHS. WHAT A SHAME AMERICANS AT TIMES LACK THE INTELLECT TO SPOT A MIMMIC WHEN THEY SEE IT

January 9, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  11. Patrick, Portland, Oregon

this won't get published but it is true, FAKE, umm and I am no fan of Hillary's either, and definetly not a Republican, but Obama's "amazing speeches" are as concocted as those tears, since when does he speak like Dr. King, or Jesse Jackson? Sorry don't buy that either, that black pastor voice he gets sounds fine when it comes from someone real he is bogus......
    Patrick-

January 9, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  12. Disillusioned

The way that woman decided to vote for Obama is how we got George Bush as president for 8 miserable years. I am apalled that people would put someone in a position of such great responsibility based on how they were electrified by that candidate!

January 9, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  13. steve

i am so proud of obama cos he is a symbol of change that will affect the world not just in america i live in the london and i know wat we (blacks) come accross everyday and if he (obama ) can be the next president of the only country the british public respect most we (blacks ) in the united kingdom will be respected also
    thanks

January 9, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  14. Kim, Dallas, TX

I am disheartened to believe that so many females fell for the tears as the deciding factor. I am female and would love to have a female president one day. But to me, tearing up is not what is going to influence me. I want someone who will make a difference. If we vote someone in because we feel sorry for them, then we most certainly deserve what we get. Unfortunately, I don't think that our country can handle any more corruption and special interests. We are lagging so far behind the world communities in so many, many areas....health care, education, mortality rate, infant birth rate/survival rate, the list goes on and on. We need someone who cares more about our country than the lobbyists and corporate interests that gave them the money to influence them. I see Hillary as a very corrupt personwhose agenda is power and control, not one who truly feels that her country needs her. Between her tears and Bill's "fairy tale" comment, the decision was swayed. They will stoop at nothing to get votes.

January 9, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  15. Veronica from Albuquerque

It is so sad that all CNN has to talk about is Hillary getting tearful when there is so much more to consider with this upcoming election. Please try to give an unbais commentary instead of the nonsense you seem to think the US voters want to hear. Most serious voters want to hear about the issues that face our Nation. As for the women in NH that made Hillary cry she should be ashame of herself for being proud of turning around and voting for someone else.

January 9, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  16. steve

A state with 96 % white and a black man lost with 2% i dont think that he (obama) lost anyway cos his vote show that the change is really coming and everyone is coming along UP OBAMA YES WE CAN

January 9, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  17. Give me a break pundits!

Why can't people just say that New Hampshire voted for Sen Clinton not because she displayed some emotion, but because they have always known that she can deliver the change they want. With her experience, she has developed the skills on how to bring about change in the US political scene. Obama does not have enough experience and maturity to have those skills and his young voters are too young to realize that.

January 9, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  18. Chet

So.......who was(is) her acting mentor?!

January 9, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  19. Ottila

Ms. Young voted "with her feelings"?

Some years ago, Americans voted with their feelings and chose a likeable guy to run the country, and see what happened...

I admire Obama's eloquence and intellect and am mesmerized by his speeches. But it will take more than my feelings to be persuaded that he is the best person to run this country this early in his national political career.

He has to do more than what he has done for us, and has to be tested more in the national arena and prove his moral and political courage.

Only when he has proven himself beyond doubt that he deserves to sit in that oval office chair will I vote for him - that's 4 or 8 years from now.

BUT NOT NOW. NOT YET.

There's too much at stake now to entrust the future of this country in the hands of a an untested, freshman senator who has yet to prove his moral and political courage in the face of big political challenges.

January 9, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  20. sam, calif

Sorry CNN, but I was sooooooooo stoked when Hil came thru! I was also very sad to see some folks say about Obama: "If he doesn't get the Dem nomination he will go independent" Way to go Ralph Nader #2.!!! We can see how that ended up in 2000 can't we? TAlk about ego's. I really don't think he knows what he's talking about (issues and how to handle foreign policy)and for the first time I may have to vote Rep if Obama gets the nod. All you dudes chalk it up to women's feelings, but where were you all when you elected King George TWICE????? I knew we were going to war with Iraq the minute he was elected...and I'm, not the only one. Who cares that Uncle Bill got set up by some fluzie..the lies he told didn't kill Americans!!!!!!

January 9, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  21. Emily N.

To Tamara Peterson and others who think women shouldn't hold office because of hormones, etc...I hope you are a man, because a man would rightly not have to live with these hormones and therefore not understand what it's like. This is one of the reasons why I'm voting for Hillary. She is smart, accomplished, and ran a successful campaign that surprised many (check out articles in the most recent Newsweek) despite hormones, mood swings, hot flashes, and womanhood in general. What a shame for a woman to think that way.
    It is a sad truth that Hillary cannot win people's hearts no matter what she does. If she doesn't cry, she is steely and cold-hearted. If she cries, she is a faker. I am surprised that Hillary has lasted this long in this mean-spirited madness. It takes a strong woman to face this world as Hillary Clinton.
    Will someone please explain to me how exactly they know that Clinton was fake-crying? Were you there in the audience? Were you sitting inside her head? Just because it happens the night before the primary does not mean it's fake. It's a heavy accusation to make without proof.

January 9, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  22. Chris in Va.

I find it interesting that almost every Hillary supporter lambasts CNN for their biased reporting about their canidate,showing her in a negative light. Folks, this is the real Hillary, a lying flip-flopping phoney unindicted criminal who will tell anyone anything they want to hear (that's what liars do) until she is elected and then to hell with the little people...it's all about me and my ambitions! Anyone who can't see through that is a gullable idiot and anyone who would vote for her because of her anatomy is just an idiot.

January 9, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  23. Ind

Ashley cf iowa – check your facts. Obama has eight years of experience as an Illinois state senator and was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2004, giving him over 11 years experience as an elected official.

January 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  24. Amy

Yeah, considering she asked Hillary "Who does you hair?" I trust so much her judgment. BTW, have you considered she lied CNN about who she voted? Simply not to suggest she might be 'weak"? Like many women who write on this blog and trash Hillary think its the way to go?

Obama is just a good speaker.. yesterday night he had his victory speech prepared and wasn't able to improvise anything that was appropriate for the result.

Hillary'08!

January 9, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  25. Shell

I think it's odd that people only see HRC as first lady. If you go to her web site, you can read her bio and see she's had a wealth of experience working with and for the public.

The work she's been doing for decades as a children's and women's advocate is impressive. You don't do that work to be powerful, you do it because it speaks to you and because you're passionate about helping others.

As first lady of AR then of the US, she didn't sit around getting facials and having tea parties. She championed cause after cause and did not sit still. She used her influence to do good things for many people.

Regarding Bill coming to her defense, I'd expect no less from my own husband. What would he do, sit back quietly while people knock his wife around?? I'd hope not, and that wouldn't be his nature. If he were on the sidelines, not speaking out, the headlines would read, "Bill Clinton quiet during Hillary's campaign. Is there problems at home?" Another example of being darned if they do, darned if they don't.

Oh – and I'm sick to death of hearing about Bill's affair(s). How many of us know people whose spouses have cheated that have stayed married and worked it out? They were just fortunate enough to not be in the public eye when they were going through it all. It's unfortunate that her personal life has trumped her public service when considering her as a viable candidate.

I don't need to like or be BFF's with the President. I need him or her to do a good job and pull our country out of the mess that's been created since Clinton left office. I think she can do it.

Hillary '08