January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Jeff

I have a new found respect for Hillary who, after all she has endured from her husband, has a tear or two left for us. That said, I continue to believe she is not the best person for the job of President.

January 9, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  2. Bob Moth

As a lifelong Democrat of the old Southern Democratic tradition, I can honestly say, the Republican nominee will win on November 4, 2008. Whenever the Democrats start nominating feminists and minorities as heads of their parties, it is essentially over. The United States is still a predominately white male dominated nation. Who are we kinding here. You can not sell Hillary in the general election in middle part of the country. I guarantee this will happen

January 9, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. df

CLINTON '08 – THE ONLY DEM WITH ENOUGH EXPERIENCE

January 9, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. V. McLaury

My comment – If you pundits could let the people decide for themselves, instead of you stating what the polls said before the polls closed, maybe we'd get a fair election. You were so determined to write off Hilary Clinton and make a big story, that you caused people not to vote for Obama. I am thoroughly disgusted with the way you broadcast the election news.

You need to tell what happened, not why and not before it does.

V. McLaury

January 9, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  5. RedSea Foreign National

I have noticed also that CNN is on an anti-Hillary campaign!

For me, a Hillary supporter, I can't believe that any people are so stupid that a few tears will really change anyone’s mind. I have my mind made up by looking at the Senate websites of both Obama and Clinton, and the Thomas Congressional library to see what kind of legislation both have been involved in.

So now I will tell you why I do not like Obama.

On immigration: Supported Bush-backed immigration reform legislation, which would have increased funding and improved border security technology, improved enforcement of existing laws, and provided a legal path to citizenship for some illegal immigrants. Voted to authorize construction of a 700-mile fence along the U.S.-Mexican border.

HOWEVER Obama voted to bring low-cost foreign labor into New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. What about the African-Americans who were displaced in that city ready and willing to work?

On Iraq, he opposes using military force in Iraq, HOWEVER, his voting record shows that he supports the war. He voted twice in 2006 against bringing America's troops back home, as 1 exapmle. ANd he has removed some of his speeches from his website where he has talked in support of the war.

In the beginning, I also supported the war in Iraq, but now I have changed my mind and think 911 was an inside job to gain the support needed by the public to support it! (Which is a whole other story!)

Obama voted more than five times for USA-PATRIOT's renewal.

Obama's record on choice is less than 50%. He pretends to be pro-choice while voting for anti-choice justices who have vowed to end choice.

His most recently sponored legislation requires the US president to secure around the world all nuclear weapons and nuclear usable material. If this is not a law to sponsor US interventionism around the world, then I do not know what is.

And on his voting record, just go to his website and see that during his term as Senator he is 'not voting' 85% of the time! He sits on the fence and then criticises the voting decisions of others.

He may have been doing a little for Kenya in these days (coincidentally his grandmother lives there) while he is in the news spotlight, but before, he has mainly been busy trying to get funding for Fermilab, a local company contributing to his campaign. Whereas when Hillary was not in the news spotlight, she has visited Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and other places, long ago involved on an international level. Where was Obama? 'Not Voting' and cying about funding for Fermilab, where Hillary was on the Senate floor confronting Donald Rumsfield, Bush, and Cheney on no bid contracts and tactics of failure in Iraq, and even our resons for being there. Anyone ever read her speeches? ANyone ever read the speeches of Obama? Compare, and you will find the differnence between a person well versed on history, issues, and proposing detailed solutions and a person giving speeches filled with idealistic language and hype with no real soultions.

Anyone else have anything of intelligence to say that they can back up with references or solid examples?? Please upgrade the quality of this blog by refering to specfic examples and reference regarding your statements! Otherwise you sound like Obama!

And to think my vote would be based on some tears?

Too CNN, I did not even need to know about her tears! This is not a real story or substantial issue to report, and I feel deliberately emphasized in the news to later imply that this is why she won, feeding off the gossipy catty nature of people who do not like Clinton. BBC and Al Jezeera are not making such a big deal out of it!

January 9, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  6. RD

This was another put-on by the Clinton team. He played the bad tough guy
    while she played the goodie goodie. I am a woman and I personally resent this playing of the girlie card. Now McCain can play the old card, Romney can play the religious card and Guilianni can play the misjudged good fell card. But what makes my heart sing is now Barack Obama can go on being the class act that he is. Thatcher never got weepy nor Albright or Bhutto. INot even Rice. t's a big weird manipulative plan by Billary to get attention of a few old ladies to vote for Hillary. Sorry but I will never be swayed by over-emotionalism or drama by any person in public service. It shows me a complete lack of character if by some unearthly chance it was real and if it was fake (as I think it was) she will no longer get one bit of interest from me. I don't care who is standing behind her throne.

Obama would have won NH if we hadn't had CNN playing the cry-baby candidate over and over again. That was exactly what you did to Dean and Dole. FS (for shame) Less entertainment and better news. You also brag about " the best team on television" too much.

January 9, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  7. Jay Graham, Dallas, TX

VERY NICE ARGUMENT BY SHELL. TO THE POINT AND FORCEFUL.
    THANK YOU.

January 9, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  8. Get a job, parasite

Clinton's tears and the suggestion that they caused many people to vote for her are offensive. If a man teared up like this he would have lost votes, people would have considered him weak and all the same stereotypes that men have endured for centuries would have been re-enforced. I can imagine the debate that would be going on if Obama had teared up. Whether Clinton's tears were a calculated political move or sincere isn't the real issue.

The real issue is that there are people who would vote for her because she had teared up and these are the same people who wouldn't vote for a man if he teared up. If Obama behaved like this many people would think, "what is wrong with this guy. Why would he cry like this? Do we want a President who tears up when he is having a discussion with foreign leaders, etc. A man who cries like this can't handle the stress of being President." No, men must always maintain our self-control because of sexist women who insist that we provide for them and work our lives away so that they can get something for nothing.

I may be accused of being sexist for saying this but I am fed up with women using men and getting something for nothing. Get out of the house, get a job and work for a living and stop living off of your husbands and boyfriends. I have a word for women who live off of men and it is "parasite." I have no problem with a woman being President because at least she would have a job. I am tired of people judging men by a different standard. If a woman cries its shows that she is caring and emotional. If a man cries, these women jump on it like harpies and point out how weak he is. Men have come a long way in the last few years. We and many women have tried to make men and women equal but that isn't the case yet. Women still are treated better then men. I say no: MAKE WOMEN WORK FOR A LIVING.

January 9, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  9. Speak up

I'm sure the pressure and guilt was too much to bare. But not to worry, the rest of the women came through.

January 9, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  10. lb

It is with frustration and confusion when I hear and read all the comments on HRC's experience. Why aren't voters more informed.
    She has served less time as an elected official than Obama. Serving as a first lady for 16 years does is not and should not be a qualification for the job of president. HRC's two major programs, health care & education failed during the Clinton era due to her inability to listen to and engage others. Despite all the lessons she should have learned throughout her public life, her arrogance and self-importance will eventually be her undoing.

January 9, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  11. Lo

Hillary welling up in tears is total B.S. Come on, we don't want a leader who is going to cry and tear up over a simple question, we want a leader who will lead us through the hardest of times. It's rediculous that she won N.H.

January 9, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  12. Becky

"CLINTON IS NO COMEBACK . Never place too much stock in polls, particularly when vetted against reason, and it was unreasonable to expect a nearly 40 percent voting difference over a 2 week time frame from previous steady and consistent projections. However, the Obama campaign did make significant large margins of gain. The Obama Campaign drew larger crowds compared to both Clintons. The Clinton regime, should have coasted through NH but they limped out barely and it is reasonable for every expert to say that the Clinton regime is underperforming and some triumphant comeback is not the case as the Clinton regime continues to lose ground."

This is an outstanding statement – and I couldn't agree more. How can you say that someone who, a week ago, was projected to take New Hampshire with no problem, only wins by 2 points? Obama is our necessary catalyst for change – his passion, drive, and honesty are what this Country has needed for far too long. Supporters of Obama need to be out in force and TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED....A Change is happening in America and I am thrilled to be a part of it by supporting an incredible leader of change.

January 9, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  13. Woman in Indiana

I AM a woman and though I, too, was touched by her tears, it solidified for me that I would not vote for her if given the opportunity. I have concerns about someone who is obviously overwrought from the campaigne trail and had such a public display of emotion. What will she do if she is voted president and has to face the rigors of running the country, has to fight congress, and face foreign affairs? I lost respect for her as a presidential candidate and didn't feel that she was upset for the country but rather because she was losing (according to the poles at that time). Good luck to Hilary but she lost my vote.....

January 9, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  14. Starz4u

I am hoping the women out there are really listening to what men are saying about Hillary. They are insulting all women, with claims that we cannot think for ourselves, and we need men to think for us. This is one of the big reasons Obama is running against Hillary. One comment made by a popular deje was that Bill told Hillary to cry so she would get votes. Another comment was that stay at home moms in New Hamshire were the people who voted for Hillary. What does that say for the rest of us women. I love men, don't get me wrong, however, they have been ruling and disrespecting us for too long. Women are stronger than men. Thats a known fact. I do not want a white president or a black president in the White House. I want a people President. We have to stop using the race card and come together as a Nation, and Hillary can do that.

January 9, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  15. john halverson

I am sure that she is just cackling about it right now. what a bunch of sheep there are in New Hampshire! and the Oscar goooooooooos to.

January 9, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  16. russ H

I believe the teary eyes was a farce. She believes in herself and what she wants. She learned this from Bill

January 9, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  17. mo

sorry to say but this is the reason why women shouldn't be president....... A LEADER DOESN'T CRY

January 9, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  18. Carson

If this had been a man crying, he'd be out of the race. It's ridiculous to have a serious presidential candidate crying on the campaign trail. The media would tear a man to shreds for breaking down.

She's crying because she knows she hasn't an ounce the charisma of Obama. It's her only defense. Sadly, it may have worked on the sheep in New Hampshire.

January 9, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  19. don pinero

I think obama will be president

January 9, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  20. Liz Wetzel

ALL POLITICIANS LIE.
    But we NEED a politician who can REALLY DO THE JOB, unlike BUSH or DANCING OBAMA.
    I just want to go back to the good old CLINTON days where we are DEBT -FREE, WAR-FREE AND CHEAP GAS EVERYWHERE.
    We want you back Clintons.

January 9, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  21. Jr., California

"I HAVE OVER 35 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE!"

-Hillary-

January 9, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  22. Gloria Armstrong

I have always be a Clinton Supporter Bill and Hillary.
    I found her tears fake but I am sure she saw the ship downing down so why not show some emotion but within a few hours she was back to the "old attack dog" attitude against Obama.
    I guess the Clinton's visited Micheal Vicks home in VA.

January 9, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  23. Stacey, Philadelphia

People need to wake up. I'm sick and tired of us sitting around letting politicians have their way with us, we all have to wise up. The Clintons already serve two terms in the white house, voting for Hillary could bring about yet another term. A term of broken promises such as those she promised on healthcare in 1993. We have a long way to go to know who will be the next democratic nominee and i hope all of us are wise enough to know that the best person for president is Barack Obama. I feel in my heart of hearts that he will win. He will make a good president. He is optimistic, he is the one who will bring a new change, a change we can belive in. People, look around and see what's going on in this nation. Do you want a president who will unite us OR a next president such as Bush. Do you want to change or do you want to go on with the same old things. Wake up America. VOTE OBAMA!!!!

January 9, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  24. sam katz

I truly believe that Hillary's tears were real. She wants to be the president so badly and she thougth it was all slipping away. Hillary was thinking about her own personal goals.

January 9, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  25. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Anybody whose smarter than a 5th grader would have seen through Hillary's Act II. I call it Act II because in Act 1going to Iowa, no tears, confident she's winning; Act II she l didn't win in Iowa, teared up, confidence down. Now she has bounced back to Act 1. Let's see what she'll come up with for Act III or is Bill going to cast in Act III.

January 9, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |