January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Bill

Once again, the media is attempting to lionize Hilary Clinton, this time by declaring (inaccurately) that a questioner made her cry. I watched the tape as did millions of others. She did not cry over the question. In fact, she did not cry at all. She did show emotion, however, when talking about her country. I think that's a good thing. Get your facts straight, CNN!

January 9, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  2. Vince Los Angeles, CA

WAAHHHHHH…boo hoo hoo…WAHHHHHHHH…PLEASE VOTE FOR ME…PLEASE!!!! – HILLARY CLINTON 2008

January 9, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  3. Rory McDonnell

Dear America

I'm a UK citizen born and bred,

Is Hillary the best President you'll never have?

Obama might rise another day, Hillary won't

only you know america

Rory McD

January 9, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  4. Dave, Dover, De

J

Tell me what Mr. Wright said that was inaccurate. We have 400 years of information that backs his statements.

January 9, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  5. Drew

This story seems to me like another piece of pro-Obama propaganda. Clinton doesn't just have a vision for a better America, but rather she has the experience needed to insure this country continues to prosper, and regain its international reputation. I cannot understand how blind some people are, I would prefer to see a Republican in the White House before Obama. I would even prefer four more years of Bush rather than Obama.

January 9, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  6. Tyrone

Hillary really needs to decide if being a woman will hinder her as President the way her campaining is bringing her to tears from having to work hard long days during a campain. She can't be weak on the campain and expect to be viewed as a strong leader as President.

January 9, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  7. Mary Ann Bronson

I am a 64 year old black woman who has always voted for and always loved Bill Clinton. I absolutely do not like Hillary, and after his comments about Barack on Monday, I have losy all respect for Clinton. He did to Barack what republicans have done to bill for years and now he proves to be what most politicians are, willing to dowhat ever he has to to get whatever he wants. No more Clintons, will never like or vote for one again

January 9, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  8. David

Chris, "I really don't think he knows what he's talking about (issues and how to handle foreign policy)and for the first time I may have to vote Rep if Obama gets the nod." You are so right, Susan Rice a former U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs and the many others who advise Obama don't know what they are talking about on foreign policy issues. Some former Clinton administration officials who are advising Obama are his National Security Advisor, Secretary of the Navy, and an Assistant Secretary of State. The list goes on and in addition to the experience of those advising him on foreign policy matters is his experience in foreign policy including receiving his degree in international relations, and now serving on three of four foreign policy committees in the Senate. So Obama has had more experience in foreign policy than either Hillary Clinton or John Edwards and you claim that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

It seems to me that it is you who doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to matters of foreign policy. Apparently, Obama who has the most foreign policy experience doesn't know what he's talking about on foreign policy. And all the people advising him are as un-educated as he is. Of course, we are to believe Bill Clinton's National Security Advisor doesn't know what he is talking about either since he and the others advising Obama are the ones who help to formulate his foreign policy positions. If Bill Clinton thought he knew what he was talking about then maybe, just maybe he does. But now, his NSA is wrong and Hillary Clinton is right. What a good husband for supporting his wife instead of agreeing with his former NSA. His wife is right and his former advisor is wrong.

January 9, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  9. Sridhar Prasad

A person aiming at becoming the president of the most powerful country gives up hope after one loss in Iowa and attempts to win the sympathy and mercy of the people by crying and bringing tears. In case, if Hillary Clinton gets elected, is she going to solve the problems of this country and the world by crying and try to win the mercy and sympathy of people.? This really makes me to question whether is she is really ready to run this country??

January 9, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  10. Rex

I had to laugh out loud as I read comments from the feeble minded Clinton supporters claiming that CNN is pro Obama and does nothing but "Hillary Bash".
    You people must have just climbed out from under the proverbial rock, especially those of you from New Hampshire that voted for her yesterday. However, back to the point. CNN has a well known Clinton bias and clearly showed it.
    As far as the tears, why can't folks get it through their thick skulls that Hillary Rodham Clinton is one of the most ruthless women in the public eye today? Why do they refuse to see the obvious?
    The Clinton, as well as the Bush regime are criminal, period. For anyone to take a stand for Hillary Clinton isn't just downright stupid, it's also very dangerous. While those of you that worship her like the second coming of Christ are being blindsided, your commander and chief currently, is still planning to attack Iran.
    Oh, yeah, with your goddess' full support.
    You aren't Democrats. You appall me.

January 9, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  11. Roger Evans Colorado

President Bush polls are at a record time low, I feel sorry for him, so I gave him a call last night and told him if he would come on CNN news and say things are not great for American and start crying for us, his poll numbers would go sky high. Look Mr president what do you have lose, it worked for Hillary.

January 9, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  12. wendy

Hillary is manipulating the nation for votes. I personally wouldn't trust that woman as far as I can throw her.

January 9, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  13. Irritated

What drives me crazy is that all these commentators coming in, saying that people's response to this 'emotional moment' was just an excuse to not have a woman president; and that those of us women who refused to fall for it were 'traitors' to the cause, or trapped in a "sexual caste system".

Gloria Steinem, et. al.

I am the result of your struggle. I can view a candidate not as a female or male. I can run as a candidate, not as a female. I can be Secretary of State. I can be President. I can be a soccer mom too, if I want to be. You made me what I am today. To see you of all people throwing around the 'gender' card is sickening.

I saw the 'tears', I heard the woman's question (it was about her hair or something stupid like that). Hillary Clinton decided to show this "delicate" side, knowing that a man would NEVER be able to do that. Or attack her for doing it without looking like a evil sexist man.

Saying she "found her voice", when in fact she doing nothing more than falling on old stereotypes of women as "delicate, gentler" creatures. It was craven, it was calculating, and this neo-feminist saw right through it. I will never vote for her. Just the implication that if I don't follow the gender card, we'll "lose everything, and go backwards", as Hillary said. Ridiculous.

I agree with many of her policies. If it were just on paper, I'd probably vote for her. But the reason I won't, is that I know she's a fraud. That doesn't make me a traitor to my gender, and I deeply resent people saying it does.

January 9, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  14. ash

How to start and what to say?
    Who have labelled persons of african origin to be called african american? Is it that persons of african origin call themselves the same or is it by people of other complexion?

Why are not caucasians called European Americans, and people of Asian origin as asian Americans?

In any case, why divide a great nation on race, origin, religion, orientation?

I feel it is high time African American start calling themselves and demand to be called Americans. They are as americans as any others are.

And also the government stops immigration policies of bringing in cheap labour from developing countries. First they (the elite/rulers/exploiters of mankind) brought slaves by force, and now they bring in the guise of immigration. South Africa, Ghana, India.......(endless list) train and develop their human resources at great cost and the States and other surrounding nations along with australia and europe bring in these talented sons and daughters of developing world and let them rot in underpaid jobs. It is said break the self-esteem of a nation(person) and it(he) will be slave forever.

Now coming back to politics, having come to this part of the world, please you immigrants assimilate fast and don't go for cheap labour jobs and work for hours to pay bills and mortgages and live and die in debt, and leave behind "debt" as inheritance to your offsprings. Beat them at their own games. There are shining examples of recently immigrated people getting rich. Have focus and stop complaining. Network and help each other to grow than PHD.

There is no race in this world. We all came from Namibia/Kenya, whites, browns, blacks, yellow, big nose, monkey nose or whatever.....and there are only two classes...Haves and Have-nots.

Vote for those who value your labour and put in place laws and policies to empower you and strive towards equitable distribution of wealth. Hard work, loyalty, dedication and zeal to improve oneself shall be appreciated and rewarded. But monopolies of elites and Have-alls have to be broken and that is possible only with voting for candidates who promise in writing what they will do and in what time span to reduce the gap between haves and have-nots, in a productive and meaningful way and not through dols, but with right policies in place to reward both the entrepreneurs and working class fairly.

Vote for the candidates who don't stir "pseudo nationalism" in this global village, who don't stir "outdated religious bigotries" as against "spiritualism" and true positive concerns for the well being of human race without creed, race and religion. There can be only one captain in any ship at any given time but all else have a role to play as well.

demand to know from the candidates: What will they do to bring in peace to this world?
    What will they do to make minimum standard of living for each american?
    How will they encourage growth and innovation, entrepreneurs while minimising exploitation?
    How will they reduce working hours of men and women so that they have decent earnings and time for families?
    What else they will do to make families and bring values of our ancestors back and not breaking families?
    How will they be servant of americans and not rulers?
    don't talk about free health and schooling. These are distractions. We need opportunites..fair and equal and God has given us hands and reasoning to think and earn our living..It is the barriers which have been created which have to be removed and not free meal, health, insurance, cheap mortgage...but fair share of opportunities....

Fundamental rights..freedom to work, educate, earn and live....any restraint...Stop.

Ask Obamas and Clintons : What will they do when they retire after serving? Will they resign if majority of populace demand if they find them lacking or underperforming? Will they be available to individuals to meet them in open indabas and demand from them accountability....

Or we will have to call them sirs and madams, while they are supposed to be calling us sirs/madams as we are the ones putting them in position of serving us.

January 9, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  15. Bimmer

It was heart- warming to hear AP's projection of Hiilary's triumph last night. Like me, a lot of Canadians who are not directly involved in the US election, are rooting for Hillary not because of sympathy but because she and McCain are the two strongest time-tested candidates who should fight it out in the general election.

This woman has been ostracized and called obscene names even in these supposedly moderated (by CNN) tickers. Apparently all these attacks backfired in NH.

Aside for the incident when she showed her emotions and passion for the job in the cafe, Hillary won because she won the NH debate on Saturday night by a big margin, despite being ganged-up on by Edwards-Obama's very obvious alliance. She showed strength when she responded to the Edwards' attack with her experience in bringing about changes. She also showed her human-side the way she handled the likeability question with a great sense of humour and tact. She also scored a lot of debate points by saying that electing a woman would be a huge change.

After watching the debate, I would have voted for her if I were a NH voter.

As another person commented, Obama's oratory for change and hope is wearing thin as it sounds too preachy - fit for a church pastor not for a Presidential candidate. It is having the same repulsive effect as wjhen Edwards talk about figthing for middle class and poverty. Obama has to find another mantra other than "change" as it has been overused and neutralized by Charlie Gibson of ABC in the debate by pointing out that almost all candidates in past elections talk about change when they run for office. I think he alreay found one in "yes we can".

Finally, if the Americans cannot entertain the idea of electing Hillary because she is a woman, we would like to invite her to Canada, which has a precedence of having a woman Prime Minister.

January 9, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  16. sam B

Obama just lost by a couple percentage points

Clinton was lucky people felt sorry for her. I really hope Us Americans (excluding everyone who didnt fall for it) wont fall for this sad attempt to gain our votes.

And how can we ever have peace in the middle east if Arabs dont even recognize women as leaders??? if we elect Clinton we are SCREWED

GO OBAMA

and you shouldn't be sick of hearing change. anything else will just end up being like Clinton or Bush. THATS WHAT NEEDS TO CHANGE

January 9, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  17. Ty OR

I don't know about you guys and gals, but I don't want a sissy for president. If she can't take the rigors of the campaign trail, Hillary wouldn't stand a chance as president.

January 9, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  18. JACK, NY, NY

I had an opportunity to hear Mrs. Clinton speak at a woman's conference in New York last year. After that experience, I was an avid "Hillary 4 Prez" supporter….until yesterday. I was appalled at the pretence of tears. Throughout this whole campaign, she and her staff have attacked Obama at every turn. Two volunteers and a staffer were either, asked to resign or left on their own, because of their mud slinging. Now she wants to be overcome by her passions for this country. And, what does "I have so many opportunities from this country " mean anyway?

Obama '08
    _______________________________________

Tara- you were never hillary supporter to begin with. It just shows how childish Obama supporters are. I understand most of his voters are under 35 now this is almost childish. All I hear is from then " I will vote republician if hillary wins nomination. I lost respect for hillary after seeing her emotional" Sorry we are smart enough to know that you are hardcore obama fan. May be that is why we see so many negetive comments about hillary because most of Obama supporter are younger with computer access. HOWEVER WHAT MATTERS IS VOTES. Not your ability to come and type childish messages.

January 9, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  19. Janet Covert

The voter did not make Mrs.Clinton cry. She did get choked up and was emotional, but she was not moved to 'tears.' Please revise your innacurate headline, and let's focus our discussions on which candidate can best return America to it's former stature, and how we go about getting her elected.

January 9, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  20. John, Pittburg, PA

The real losers tonight are not Barack Obama or Mitt Romney, but rather the media. THeir obsession with Barack Obama and their ruthless tactics against the Clintons has caused many Americans, including I, to be absolutely disgusted with their bias. There is a fine line between professionalism and chastising Hillary Clinton over a simple loss in one state.

This further shows the the success and victory of the Clinton Machine. They defeated themselves another machine, a machine that will use myriad tactics to sway the minds of the American People, the media.

January 9, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  21. Steve

Give me a break. This was a typical Clinton staged event and I wasn't fooled as obviously so many were.

January 9, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  22. Emma

Well all I can say is that if it was fake, she deserves to win for pulling it off.

Also, I went to an Obama rally... talk about playing on people's emotions!

January 9, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  23. South Carolina

If we don't want leaders who show emotion, then why the hell is Obama so popular. He emotes constantly. Why is Edwards kind of popular, he emotes constantly. Mitt Romney has cried, John McCain has cried, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, George Bush, the list goes on and on and on.

Oh wait, I get it–its okay for man to show emotion, but not a woman. Okay, then, I get it.

Time to end double standards and stop spewing your hateful rhetoric. Maybe you should listen to the message of hope Obama speaks of and act on it....or, is it really just words.

Judging by his lack of ability to influence your behaviour, I'm all the more convinced that its just words.

Hillary, strong record in the senate, lots of legislation which has helped millions of people, compassionate, a student, strong, decisive, willing to consider multiple perspectives (sometimes to her detriment), has a plan that includes all americans....

I'm sticking with her. Maybe the Clintons have fought dirty (when defending themselves from the Republican machine, which by the way Obama would have to do as well)....but they are real and we know what we're getting with Hillary.

Hillary O8.

January 9, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  24. Brian Howe

I have watched the media and everyone focus on the two canditates, Clinton and Obama, and all I see is the following:

a. Obama delivers a speech as if he is a evangelical minister. Everytime I see hime speak I have the urge to raise my hands in the air, sway back and forth, and start to say "Ahem" over and over again. Last night's speech was a prime example of this.
    b. When Hillary speaks I feel I am in a court listening to a lawyer give final arguments, not a lot of emotions just the facts. She did that last night, thanking everyone but really you thought you were going through all of the dirty details of a trail all the while waiting for her to say "If it fits you must convict".

What each and everyone of us has to look at it and answer for to ourselves..."Do we want a person who sounds great but may not have the experience/depth running the country or someone who has more experience to run the country but can be a bit rigid". We are in dire straits here and it is very easy to get excited about hearing some words but in the end we need action, we need a plan, we need to get our troops home, get our economy going, our children educated and so many other items.

We can drink the Koolaid (just like they did in Jonestown) but if we do not ask questions about the Koolaid before drinking we may end up as the people in Jonestown, a dead country.

We need Obama to give us substance. His speeches are great but I am not drinking the Koolaid he is spilling cause I have no idea what is really in it.

We need Clinton to be more animated. If I was on her campaign I would hire an acting coach cause she needs to loosen up and use her arms and move around, my god my grandmother is more animated than her. I am not drinking her Koolaid because I am sure it is bland and has no taste.

For me they both have a lot to work on but I will take substance over talk, Hillary gets my vote at this point but INovember is a long ways away.

January 9, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  25. Brett

The response was most likely staged. However, she is a politician and it is to be expected. Do not forget that calculated moves are NECESSARY when dealing with other countries and the House/Senate. Right now, you probably expect that I am a supporter of hers. In actuality, I am a conservative and tend to follow more along the lines of Senator McCain. I do not understand where everyone gets the idea that Hillary is so experienced in the political arena. It is simply not true. Just because she has been at Bill's side for all his offices does not constitute having experienced the position itself. Face the facts. When it comes to experience in the Senate, she too is a "Rookie." When President Clinton's cabinet members were advising him in private meetings as to how he should proceed in matters such as Kuwait and Kosovo, I guarantee her presence was not allowed. On another matter, I am a health care professional, and I disagree with any candidate who says this country would be better off under the concept of universal health care. Please get a clue! WE ALREADY HAVE IT! Anyone who goes to the ER cannot be turned away! It is illegal to do so. That means we must provide care already for everyone. If we are pushed to universal health care (which is essentially government controlled), can you imagine how much more inefficient and wasteful the practice would become??? Hillary's "resolutions" to the nation's current shortcomings are socialist in nature. If you do not believe me, then please, look them up. Then look up what it means to be a Socialist. You may be surprised.

I could write much, much more regarding Hillary, but I will leave you with this. Vote by what the candidates' policies are, and at least make an attempt to understand what they mean. Do not vote for Hillary because of her gender, and do not vote for Obama because he is black. No one should vote strictly based off party lines either. Make an INFORMED decision!

P.S. Please stop insulting people for their views on how to make this country better for everyone. Most of the people who are tossing these insults around could not even pass fourth grade grammar courses, and it deeply scares me that people like this will decide who will become the next American President.

January 9, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |