January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. rumor has it

"Hillary Buses in Crowd from Massachusetts"

"Hillary Clinton has been caught committing an act of outright dishonesty and deception by stacking the rally with people who do not represent the people of New Hampshire."

January 9, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  2. Gisele

And New Hampshire picked Clinton. Why is this considered a "story"?

January 9, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  3. Angela

I'm a 58 years young woman and in all this rich age that I possess, I have learned thru experience that when one experiences resistence like Clinton is getting it is because she has done what was right and good for the people she represents and if we elect inexperienced Obama, because of his charisma and his silver tongue we will quickly realize our mistake. To be successful like Clinton has been in alot of areas in her life and to be knocked down and perservere under extreme pressure and persist when the going gets rough is the kind of leader I want representing me. Vote Clinton. ar

January 9, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  4. keep the peace

Are we headed for a race war?

January 9, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  5. keep the peace

Is Mayor Bloomberg entering the race trying to stop Senator Obama?

January 9, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  6. keep the peace

it's been said that Hillary Buses in Crowd from Massachusetts

January 9, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  7. WE THE PEOPLE

HILLARY WON THE NEW HAMPSHIRE PRIMARY BECAUSE SHE USED THE "SYMPATHY" CARD.

PEOPLE FELT GENUINELY SAD FOR HER, NOT THAT SHE FELT SAD FOR THE COUNTRY!

CLINTONS NEVER LOSE- TILL OBAMA SHOWED UP, THATS ANOTHER REASON SHE CRIED.

WELL HEAR THIS HILLARY - AS THE OZZY OSBOURNE SONG GOES: NO MORE TEARS! YOU 'SUCKERED" A LOT OF VOTE S WITH YOUR PHONY CARING ATTITUDE.

AMERICA KNOWS BETTER NOW. WE NEED A LEADER WHO IS STRONG , AND WON'T COLLAPSE UNDER PRESSURE...AT LEAST REAL PRESSURE..AND NOT A PRIMARY'S PRESSURE.

A VOTE FOR HILLARY – IS A VOTE FOR THE STATUS QUO IN AMERICA FOLKS.

NOTHING WILL CHANGE. AND YOU WILL ALL HAVE TO BLAME YOURSELVES FOR VOTING FOR THE CLINTONS.

AMERICA HAS EITHER A CLINTON OR A BUSH IN THE PRESIDENCY OF THE UNITED STATES, AND LOOK WHERE IT GOT US

WE THE PEOPLE NEED A FRESH OUTLOOK, AND A NEW HOPE IN AMERICA.

WE THE PEOPLE NEED TO BE SEEN IN THE WORLD'S EYES AS A COUNTRY WHO IS FOR THEIR PEOPLE, AND THE GOODWILL OF ALL MEN AND WOMEN ON EARTH.

TODAY'S LEADERS HAVE MADE A MOCKERY OUT OF AMERIC AND HER POLITICAL SYSTEM.

OBAMA WILL BRING THAT CHANGE-THAT IS SO DESPERATELY NEEDED IN OUR NATION.

AGAIN, CAN AMERICA "SURVIVE" MORE OF THE SAME THAT WE WILL GET BY VOTING FOR A CLINTON THAT HAS BEEN IN OFFICE BEFORE, AND HASN'T FURTHERED ANY CHANGE FOR THE PEOPLE??.

January 9, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  8. Carrie

Amazing, the woman that asked the question votes for Obama. Thanks alot!

Obama/Edwards 08, YES WE CAN!!!

January 9, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  9. Tim, Seattle

Interesting to me is the contrast of message between the 2 of them that the Hillary supporters just dont seem to get.
    The voters going for Obama (and I am leaning that way over Hillary) arent looking for 'experience' in the traditional sense, they are looking for a ...'new experience'... in politics. Much broader message, and a more appealing message to the public who hold low, low opinions of their current president and congress.

Poll after poll, Obama wins the 'who is the best candidate to unite the country' thing. I think people want to move forward and not back, generally.
    And to this point, I have posited that Hillary would be all about rehashing the Bush admin failures and would be implicitly looking for revenge on the GOP for the last 8 years. People want to move forward. Revenge will only be divisive, no matter how much we may feel the y deserve it. NOt a uniting strategy.

Similarly, the thing about Edwards is that he is using a one-dimensional tactic that sounds like we will have one big lawsuit going on for his presidency. I like Edwards, but he is leaving the impression of conflict and abversarial justice. Perhaps justified in almost all of his terrific examples, buit it doesn't sound like a uniting startegy to me.

I worry sometimes about the level of experience Obama has, but I think if he convinced the public about how he would suround himself with those with much more experience and that some of those folks may be independants or republicans, he is going to be hard to beat. If he overcomes that objection, then the GOP has nothing on him. The real worry they have is that he is creating a movement. How do you deal with that if you are the GOP?

I like Hillary, but I really do think she may not win the general election. Look at how many dems are turning out to vote right now. Phenomenal! . MOre importantyly, look at how many republicans are not (comparatively). This is great that a lot of GOP'ers may be staying home on election day. Make Hillary the nominee though, and the GOP electorate will come out in droves, erasing our early advantage. You can probabl;y count on another close election at 50/49%, with the dems coming out losers again. Dont undeestimate that sentiment, I hear it every day...from democrats and republicans.
    Nothing would fell worse than that

January 9, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  10. Kelly Puckett, Kenton, Ohio

Stay strong Hillary, I'll vote for you.

January 9, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  11. Female Soldier

Give me a break folks. NH people did not vote for Hillary because she was teary!!! Way to go CNN on that lame thought. Please, has anyone seen the clip? She hardly looks as if she got emotional. It's just a bunch of hype! Someone needs to blame why she won the Dem vote in NH. Does it occur to you that she is up against very strong odds? People are bashing her more than the others because she is a woman? I am not voting for her because she is a woman. I am voting for her because she has a GREAT plan, a well thought out plan that could maybe work in our great country of ours. Maybe get us back on our feet. She is experienced! Her opponent is full of a lot of good ideas, but has he proven to follow through? Have you seen the work in the past? Has any deep questions been answered? Don't just go with your gut feeling. Vote for who is the best! We are in dire need of change, but we need someone who can follow through with their plan!

January 9, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  12. Wally

VOTE OBAMA!! THIS IS WHERE A NEW CHANGE BEGIN, THIS IS NOT THE END OF THE RACE BUT THE BIGINING. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT 08. "YES WE CAN"

Change to what¿?

January 9, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  13. JohnS

I sincerely hope that all Democrats and others who are supporting Hillary have strtaed doing their homeworks for the forthcoming Republican onslaughts. For years, this woman has stabbed the Republications, and like any smart enemy, they are lying in wait! It is unfortunate that most of the "old-timers" (ages 35 and older) have very short-term memories for events such as:
    "I never had ... with that woman"
    "It depends of your definition of 'is'
    "I smoked, but did not inhale!"
    Oh, what about Hillary's failed health-care policies?
    What about the current movement to "draft" a third-party candidate, if a divider such as Hillary is put out there by the Democrats?
    Finally, would anyone really want to wakeup each day listening to the Clintons for the next 8 years? America, please wake up and let us all have some "common sense". We should simply let go of the "past," we have seen it all; there are some viable alternatives out there NOW, and this is the time to seize it. DO not forget, the old never likes to change; they always want to dominate.

January 9, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  14. Kim

So what the same old lying clowns that have ruined my country, I would rather just vote for who really represents America's spirit, not some Jerry Springer dramatic queen, who refuses to pass the torch to the younger smarter more truthful candidate.
    Who's election is it anyway, Bill Clinton's. This entitleship to the Presidency by the cheating lying candidates who have won the last twenty years is ludicris.

As soon as America, set the oars of change in the water, it's possible we'll be able to steer clear of disaster, before it's too late. How much hatred can we take.

I'm just asking.

January 9, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  15. Abdul Jaiteh

I just want to say that the polls before the New Hampshire primary were correct but the voters changed their mind at the polling boot because they know no one is watching them. No one would know who they actually voted for. They can say publicly they have will vote for Obama and privately vote for Hilary because Hilary is white. Race had a lot to do with the race last night eventhough other people tend to dismiss that notion.

thanks
    Abdul

January 9, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  16. Khandker Ahmedul Haque

I feel shamed that people of New Hampshire voted Hilary for her cry. Moreover, Senator Hilary Clinton is abusing her womanship, so sad for a Presidential candidate in a country like United States of America; it is not a third world country.

The peole of United States should remember that,
    "EXPERIENCE CAN PULL YOU BACKWARDS BUT YOUTHFULLNESS CAN PUSH YOU FORWARD".

God bless America and Barak Obama

January 9, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  17. Jensen

I guess "Barry" Obama is the one crying now.

January 9, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  18. Marie C

My 20 year old Virginia Tech sophhomore ( a registered republican , no less) home for the holidays and I drove 3 hours Monday night to Concord , NH to hear Barack Obama's 10pm rally . At 9pm the lines were at least on three sides of the Concord High School's circumference. Waiting in 30 degree weather with frozen ice and snow. most were young men and women. Even in 1972 my anti-establishment, Vietnam War , Tricky Dick era days have I never seen what's going in the Democratic Party today. Obamo is electrifying people - not Hillary Clinton's scripted tears.

January 9, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  19. JIM Phoenix, AZ

Again, What have Hillary done to any of these reporters to be crucified like this every single day? Can't they accept the fact that she Won fair and square? Do you think that any of these reporters analyzed Obamas win in IOWA this much? Come on American people,

We should have experience and someone that can deliver more change and a better economy and Hillary will be the one to do it best.

January 9, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  20. Lottie

I did not believe her tears for a second, she is playing a game!!!

January 9, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  21. Dan, Minneapolis, MN

I have to applaud many of the above commentators with theyr psychobable. Senator Clinton did not cry. Instead of wasting time and print, if you dislike Senator Clinton so much then vote for a Republican. The misogynism is so apparent and lack of balance in your reasoning is equally evident. Obama who? Senator Clinton 08

January 9, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  22. kris

JIM Phoenix, AZ January 9, 2008 8:42 pm ET

BECAUSE THEY KNOW SHE'S A CROOK..WE ALL DO.

January 9, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  23. kris

SHE TOOKS MONEY FROM FOREIGN TERRORIST AND FUGITIVE.

January 9, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  24. kris

IF THIS ELECTION IS RIGGED FOR HILLARY..THEN DEMOCRAT IS OVER...I WILL BE VOTING FOR A REPUBLICAN OR BLOOMBERG AS INDEPENDENT.

January 9, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  25. Mike, Austin Texas

Give me a break. It has nothing to do with sex. Whether or not Clinton was stressed and tired, which would lead to question how it is she would deal with a Presidency which can be the epidome of stress or whether it was a play to get more votes, the point is that either way whether it gives her a more human view in the eyes of women or shows that she is ambitious and not beyond anything to win, it should reflect negatively on any person man or woman. There's just no crying in baseball and the Presidency is no exception. She didn't show those tears at the funeral of a close friend but yet she broke down when it came to her Iowa defeat and on the eve of New Hampshire. I have no issue whatsoever, no, I would gladly welcome a woman into the top spot of the White House and think it would be awesome to hear Mrs President, however, I do have an issue with anti-men movements and anyone who votes for a candidate on the basis of race or gender. I certainly have an issue with women who are looking at her as this pillar of the strength of women all the while using her husbands influence and despite her book question the motivations surrounding their relationship after the controversy surrounding Bill Clinton's presidency which is not something I think should be swept under the rug so easily. So sure put a woman in the White House as President, but make sure she is who you want representing our country. If not or until then, let's choose the best person for the position and for me that is someone who is going to instill change in a major way. Someone who will move us past this melancholy lull of the status quo and move the United States into a position of leadership not by bulling but by example, that will not force other countries to our way of doing things but instead that we can be diverse as well and maybe we could learn a thing or two along the way, someone that will tell big business that it's no longer ok to ship American jobs overseas to save themselves money at the cost of American livelyhoods, someone that will prevent the greed of big business from preventing Americans from getting medical attention, from losing our homes after reeling us in with low introductory rates and small print and causing the housing market to bottom out and affect the overall economy not to mention what these foreclosures have done to all homeowners. Has your candidate addressed these issues? Mine has, perhaps yours is too busy worrying about the other candidate?

What we do here, we do for ourselves as individuals, we do for our neighbors, and we do for our country. Let's make sure we get it right this time.

Vote for a Change
    Obama 08.

(How many of you read that this was posted by a guy and ignored the substance of the message? How many of you read Obama 08 and ignored what was actually written?...that's what I figured.)

January 9, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |