January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Joe

I think all you libs must be blondes. Oh well RUDY,RUDY,RUDY,RUDY and so on.

January 9, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  2. Tim

Since 1992 the Clintons have been in the national spotlight and Hillary has never shown any kind of emotion at all. When Bill’s affair was on every news station every day she showed no emotion. On 911 as a Senator from New York she did not shed a tear in public. Now she is down in the polls about to lose to the better candidate and she starts crying. Please tell me the United States public isn’t so blind that they fell for this dirty trick. Obama 08.

January 9, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  3. Bob

Interesting ....all of this heated debate about "crying". Last time I checked, crying usually involved tears and emotional catharsis, followed by "could you pass me that box of tissues". That was not crying...not even close. Last month, Romney had three incidents of being similarly choked up over the course of 12 days...in an apparent failed attempt to convince voters that he is not a robot...funny how the press didn't even shrug at that.

January 9, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  4. kathy from PA

I guess now, all the other candidates have to do to win a primary election is to get all teary. Give me a break. If you people can't see that this was FAKE than you need a new pair of glasses. Hillary will say and DO anything she has to to win this. Don't let that happen. She is worse than Bill EVER was and he was bad enough. She is out for #1 – herself. She thinks she deserves this and if and when she gets it – everything she has promised you will be forgotten on day 1. Remember she keeps saying that she is the only candidate who will be ready on the first day she is president. That is about the only thing she has been saying that has any truth to it because on day 1, she will be doing what she wants to do – not what is best for you or the country.

January 9, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  5. Eric Sheboygan, WI

Way to go Republican party! As soon as Hillary(ous) is nominted, they will pull out the same old *\^! file that let the Republican party win all of the nonpartisan votes in 2000. They don't even have to look for new dirt on the Clintons. Does anyone have a memory that lasts longer than 8 years? It's no wonder the rest of the world thinks we are all crazy. I do too. Google the words Clinton and scandal to get a clue.

January 9, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  6. B.O.

Mike from Green Bay, you ask what Hillary has done that makes her so much more experienced. If you do not know what Hillary Clinton has done in her long career, than look it up to see her qualifications. Her time in politics is NOT limited to the 8 years Bill Clinton has spent in office. (Not to mention the fact that she was so active as a first lady, that people actually took the time to debate the roll of the 1st lady, since never in US history had a 1st lady done so much...and her health care bill not coming through was the fault of the senate/congress, not hers)

And if you want to look at her history, also note that she sacrificed her own career early in Washington to support Bill in Arkansas. So if you want to question her being human, and showing emotion, that is the act of a selfless heart.

January 9, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  7. Eric Sheboygan, WI

Way to go Republican party! As soon as Hillary(ous) is nominted, they will pull out the same old file that let the Republican party win all of the nonpartisan votes in 2000. They don't even have to look for new dirt on the Clintons. Does anyone have a memory that lasts longer than 8 years? It's no wonder the rest of the world thinks we are all crazy. I do too. Google the words Clinton and scandal to get a clue.

January 9, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  8. Teni

Marianne......you knew the right thing to do. And I'm proud of you. Obama 08!

January 9, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  9. Aaron Smithsburg, Maryland

The style of speaking is called Pathos the Greek philosophers noted that usually only politicians and preachers used this in their public speeches. They use human compassion as a weapon. Probably the best public speaker of all times was Adolf Hitler. In his precisely crafted, meticulously calculated speeches he made the German government seem like the underdog and the victim. He also always claimed Jew terrorists were trying to destroy the motherland. Thousands were driven to wailing and weeping to his words, completely under the radical thumb of nationalism. These fake liberals and conservatives are bought and paid for compliments of the Neo-con, globalist scum. Their grand daddies were the Nazi's money check.

January 9, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  10. Dave Thorson

I started to read these comments to capture the pulse of the electorate, but I could only go so far.

What is really scary here is not the candidates nor the election, but the cynicism shown by the venom in so many of these comments.

I'm sure that the many comments made are by those who do not have a clue about the issues or the qualifications of the candidates but make up their minds on 30 second sound bites by the media and the campaigners.

You'd be much better off spending your time on exploring the pros and cons of the candidates than by spewing your venom.

January 9, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  11. Ned Pepper

How long are we going to dwell on unimportant trivia?

January 9, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  12. Kerri

It is much too early to determine who will win. Everyone is overreacting to Obama. He has a long way to go. Once people realize where he stands on
    some of his issues, he is going to "bomb out."

January 9, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  13. irma

Divide and conquer. All this petty arguing between the Democrats is going to give ammunition to Right Wingers when the time comes. How do you all know this whole story wasn't from some ambitious Right Winger who just wanted to bait the Obama Clinton camps into a petty topic? Stay focussed on the real issues or the right wing is going to devour us with this junk. Demand real issues be focussed on. Everywhere!

January 9, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  14. sabree, anchorage alaska

Obama , will be the best president for this country . ANd what a big change it would be.he wiill chance America for the better. you can't go wrong,But God knows best.If it is the will of God, Obama will be president .

January 9, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  15. Andy, New York, New York

Black, Republican and New Yorker!

Hillary chokes up and wins New Hampshire. The woman has a bagful of tricks, even mud and stone, that she will use to get elected.

I have said before and will say again: America is not ready for a Black President. America may be ready for a female President, but not Hillary Clinton.
    Hillary is doing this, as she unconsciously confessed: FOR HERSELF! She said this thing is so 'personal', as she choked up. That she was behind in the polls made her choke up.

America's biggest phony, right after Bill Clinton.

January 9, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  16. JCIL

some of his issues, he is going to "bomb out."

January 9, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  17. A Point to Consider

The "emotional" moment occurred when Hillary Clinton said, in response to the question, "This is very personal for me." This was protrayed in the media as a "genuine" moment, but this line actually comes straight from John Edwards.

It is Edwards who is always saying over and over gain that "this is personal for me." If you read the transcript of the N.H. debate, in fact, Edwards uses these words again in response to a question about health care:

MR. EDWARDS: ". . . this battle is personal for me. You know, we need a president who believes deeply here, who believes deeply this battle, and it is personal for me."

January 9, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  18. jwilson

I believe the close race between Obama and Clinton is largely due to many Democrats liking and respecting both. However, as a woman, I believe a "tie" should go to the woman. Yet I am supporting Hillary Clinton not because it's a tie but because she is the best prepared to lead our country and reestablish our standing as a strong democracy. Eight years in the Senate, ten side by side her husband as he ran the county, strong career, strong mother, great record of public accomplishments and service.

Having said that I am impressed with Obama and believe he is a strong current and future leader for the Democratic party.

We must remember that running a campaign is a different exercise than governing. Delivering a speech that has impact is important yet, in my eyes, is near the bottom of key elements of a successful presidency.

January 9, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  19. Spencer

Hillary Clinton showed humanity when she cried. I know, I know, politicians seeming human is hard to believe, but trust me on this one–it was genuine. Hillary Clinton is an amazing person, and I truly believe that she not only wants what is best for this country, but has the ability to achieve it.

On the other hand: Obama = Hitler.

If you don't believe me, see the following:

Hitler was a "feel good" orator, who rose to power when his country was at its lowest, and then continued to use his new found following to carry out his twisted racial agenda.

Enough said?

January 9, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  20. Bimmer

I think media is giving Barak Obama a free ride . A few weeks ago just before the Iowa caucus when Tim Russet was interviewing him Mike Huckabee and Barack Obama in Meet the Press one after the other, the difference in the tone of the questioning and probing was so obvious. Mike was always put on the defesive , while the discussion with Barack was vas if he was adinner guest, treated very congenially l with no tough questions asked.

Does not the media have a responsibility to ask the tough questions of all the candidates?

January 9, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  21. Jon

Jon from LaCrosse Wis. We need a change, enough of the Bushes and Clintons.

January 9, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  22. raven

personally, i think hilary clinton is full of crap.... and if shes already crying before she even becomes president, i dont want her to be president and start cry because " its a sensitive matter "!!!

shes full of it, go obama

January 9, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  23. Cathy

People, people, people.

NO ONE is not going to vote for Hillary because she's a woman.

They're not going to vote for her because she's a CLINTON.

It has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with emotional baggage almost a decade old.

January 9, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  24. Ed, Wilkes-Barre, Pa

Hillary rocks! I believed many people would have seen Hillary weak after that emotional moment, but after the successful campaign in New Hampshire and second thoughts, the moment showed a human side – not a repetative candidate. Go Hillary!

January 9, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  25. JWms

I have heard that according to the hand counted ballots, Obama won 38% to Hillary's 34%, according to a watchdog group that is discrediting the Diebold voting machines. Has anyone heard this?

January 9, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |