January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. stan pitts pa

apparently a tear shed in good time, helped her win, most women just felt sorry for her, i dont buy her "act" though, if anything it confirmed ,my fears that she is weak, and solely relies on her husband and his record to win! this is not a victory for women, it just shows what their husband can do for them!

January 9, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  2. cozumelkid

I hope she isn't planning on playing the emotional card while dealing with various people from other countries.

January 9, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  3. Linda

You...the Media, tried to cruicfiy Hillary...but, it didn't work, did it??? This thing has just started, so Give us a BREAK!
    Nobody works as hard and sincere for this country as Hillary Clinton. Why do we want a "Rookie" that won't pledge to our flag, when our young people are dying for it and coming home maimed...What's wrong with you people?????!
    We aren't "stupid" out here, so don't do our thinking for us, Thank You...we'll do it ourself. We need experience to Clean up the Bush mess.

January 9, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  4. julie

i dont know why she cried and maybe it says in the article but im too lazy to read it!
    my opinion is that if she cried it doesn't make her weak!
    you guys think that all the other candidates dont cry?
    they do! they probably dont do it publicly because there scared of loosing votes
    but this has nothing to do with her capabilities...
    she has already expirienced the rythm of the white house so she is probably more suitable for president than some other candidates

January 9, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  5. David

I dont believe her tears for a second. She is a liar and missleader. Remember the "planted" question during the Q&A session? I would not be surprised if she called on the wrong person and was so into her "Script" that she started to cry, The question was about hair, and her answer was totaly off based and cried?

January 9, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  6. Mario

It wasn't anything but a staged act and she did a lousey job of that! People wake up, she is a crook, a criminla along with her idiot husband. If you believe her and buy into her act, we are really going to go to hell.

Go Mitt!

January 9, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  7. Mary-Ann C. Dial

I believe toooooo much is being made of this "soft side" oif Hillary Clinton rearing it's head. This woman has been around by her own timeline 16 years in the public eye gaining "experience" (???) worthy of making her the next US President.

I find it had to believe that 30 seconds of "emotion" shown by HC is worthy of all this attention. Get over it!!

January 9, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. Manila

Marianne, Barack moved you to tears twice and Hillary hardly? Come now, it's whammy of a shame that the more Barack Obama took you to tears than Hillary could was all that made you decide to vote for him in NH. Get serious. The fate of America for the next 4 years, and possibly 8, should not hang on the balance of your emotions and should not be entrusted to those who shared yours and voted the way they did in New Hampshire. We cannot with your EMOTIONS make rational decisions on how to fight terrorism, solve immigration problems, expand health care, in short, hurdle the challenges the future has for Americans including you. Get serious. Look for one who is prepared to lead America into a better future for Americans, and that one cannot be one who is inexperienced, untried, and untested in Presidential leadership. Otherwise, you and your cohorts will be in for a tearful future for America. Unifier? Has Barack as Senator ever unified the vote in the Senate to vote the way he did? Nope. Bottom line, he is divisive not only among Democrats who have not voted for him at all, but also between Americans mesmerized by antiquated oratory which irrationally appeals to emotion, and those who make rational choices based on experience which appeals to reason. Get real!!

January 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  9. Cole

will Hillary be tearing up when she gives her first proposed budget to congress?

January 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  10. ******

I am not worried because I already know this elections is already rigged!

January 9, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. Robert

There is no other candidate whose parents are shown on TV. And I think that it is not appropriate and just a disservice to Obama campaign if you tie his political candidacy in this country to his father's home place of Kenya. Assuredly, people who repeatedly watch those images of Kenya will interprete Obama just wrong and that will affect negatively of Obama candicay in his USA.

January 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  12. Maria, Houston

Welcome to Great Clinton Soap Opera... lip biting, finger pointing, crying, cackling, lying, scheming, cheating and getting RICH in the process...

Yep, The Dynasty is dragging on – Alexis Colby, you are being overshadowed!!! After 8 seasons of this show we've had enough!

Just go away, you cunning, conniving megalomaniacs with no authenticity, we are SO FED UP with you and The Bush Clan as well!!! Anybody but you!

January 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  13. Walt, Belton, TX

For thirty seconds Hillary acts like she's almost a real human being and people are calling her another Mother Teresa? That's Bull Hockey!

January 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. Danny Hocken

Yesterday, during the primary election in New Hampshire, CNN broadcasted Hillary Clinton's 'tears' and 'her crying', 'over and over again', says my mother.

I think this is a result of biased reporting on the part of CNN. CNN seems to have chosen Hillary Clinton as their candidate and have deliberately done what they needed to do to get a sympathy vote for Hillary Clinton.

I surely hope that sympathy and feeling sorry for someone are not what determines the final outcome for who our next president will be. Those just are not the right reasons.

January 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. stan pitts pa

folks seriously are we that desperate as to elect hrc, havent we had enough of the bush-clinton-bush-dynasty? we are not a monarchy folks,we are a democracy alive and well, she has 35 yrs of experience doing what? this is a time for Americans to come together and heal our great land, nott vote for a divisive candidate, its time we stand as one nation and not fall for the antics of a greedy self/establishment serving candidate and her hubby, who has lied to us and the world quite a few times, lets take America back and send a message to washington that WE the people will no longer be ignored or taken as an afterfact, we need to be heard loud and clear in washington, lets vote for the mixed race guy!

January 9, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  16. Azar

Until last night I was under the impression that her emotions were real and she was not acting, but after hearing her this morning, I think that she was acting because in less than a second she went on the attack with carefully chosen words. I think that they had planned such a scenario before the election. If it had not happened in the diner, it would have happened somwhere else. The Clinton machine was on the attack mode. It was a one-two punch against Obama. Her tears and attack, and Bill's false charges. Well, they got away this time.

By the way after Iowa, Obama was behind by as much as 14% and yet last night he lost by 2.6%. So, who won?

January 9, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  17. Tom Dedham, Mass

James January 9, 2008 2:36 pm ET

what a bunch of crock. I don't believe that for one second.
    -------------------------–
    Yet I suppose you believe each and every word any of the right-wing hatemongors (Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, etc) and every Republican candidate say, right??
    -------------------------–
    Wayne, I will write this real slow so you can understand it, this has nothing to do with Rush, Hannity or anybody else but the Clintons.

Just because someone disagrees with the Clintons does not make them right-wing, neo-nazi's as you make that assumption based on James simply saying "what a bunch of crock. I don't believe that for one second".

Go back down to your Mommies basement and play video games, the big people are discussing big people things.

Many of us non-Clintonista sheep remember the 90's and this is right out of the Clinton playbook as Bill was famous for two phony as hell things when he was lying, one was pointing his finger and two was the ability to CRY ON CUE.

And Wayne, many that are sick of this BS are your fellow Democrats, and like me, they simply want a better (sob, sob) country that has no partisan bickering and real "agents of change" that (sob, sob) no matter the party, realize that we need to get things down in this country (sob, sob) TOGETHER.

January 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  18. pete ft worth tx

Sure hope Hillary doesn't cry when she visits Muslim land IF she ever gets to the House. Those guys over there don't respect women to begin with. Imagine a blubbering US president trying to stand up to them. Even I have to laugh at that image.

January 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  19. Califor Nian

I see Bill Clinton himself (Randal) is leaving messages on this board

January 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. Bill Shrill

You people have got to be kidding!! If you really think anybody voted for anyone because they got emotional about a topic, you're just plain stoopid!!!!!
    I'm surprised - i don't know why- at you CNN reporters

January 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  21. Ryan, San Mateo

Emotion didn't make me a Hillary believer. Her experience, knowledge, preparedness to lead and her promise to help every one of the American people did! She is the only chance we have to bring back America's respect around the world, get us out of this unwarranted war, bring back American jobs, support the environment, and give health care to the middle class, not just the homeless and unemployed.

January 9, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  22. Mati

So that woman was an Obama plant?? And watch the video.. she didn't cry, just soften her voice.

Hillary'08!

January 9, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  23. sally - Houston, TX.

Talk about what you are going to do for us here at home! I could care less about overseas crap!!! Spend our money HERE at home! Could you imagine an America where we did not give away billions of dollars to other countrys to pay there governments leaders and hope they do the right thing with it?? Our economy would be great!! We have a war at home, pay attention to your own counrty first!!!
    Believe me, they do>

January 9, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  24. Electress

Tears of Joy when I heard Clinton had won.
    I think alot of old women, told there husbands, get your coat on, your're driving
    me to the polls to vote for Hillary! And they DID! Might be a few had their rolling pins in their hands too!

January 9, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  25. Alex

She must have passionately believed taking the 2nd largest payoff in the senate from the health and pharmaceutical industry in exchange for a few years of silence about universal healthcare was "the right thing to do."

This was as much as a victory for the GOP than it was for the Clinton regime. They know the ONLY democrats that will vote for Hillary are Hillary supporters. The rest of us can't stand her!

Hillary should realize this – and understand the "right thing to do" is bow out. If she gets the democrat nod, we can all look forward to another 4 years with a Republican president.

January 9, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |