January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Angela

Sometimes it's hard to believe the sexist attitudes out there. On one hand, Hillary is characterized as too hard, not personal. And if she shows genuine emotion, she's "playing the girl card" as one writer called it. Ridiculous. You'd think Hillary broke down sobbing the way the media has covered 30 seconds of an interaction! Get over it, people. You think you're so freaking informed about who she is & what she presents to this country and all you do is read crap media coverage and watch YouTube. Give me a break. Read her health care plan, learn about the things she's already achieved. For that matter, examine Obama's record with equal scrutiny. Those of you that think our country is better served by some hardened male with no emotions are full of it. We've been poorly served by enough of those types over the last 200+ years, most recently with Baby Bush.

January 9, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  2. JCIL

It is much too early to determine who will win. Everyone is overreacting to Obama. He has a long way to go. Once people realize where he stands on
    some of his issues, he is going to fall behind and stay there!

January 9, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  3. godley711

Congratulations to the Clinton Camp on the NH victory!; although by a very slim margin, a victory nonetheless.

I once had the utmost respect and admiration for both Bill and Hillary, but the more I learn about them the less I trust them. The recent and somewhat public negative attacks against a fellow Dem with a very strong message and following has further tarnished the Clinton reputation.

Question:
    Is Senator Obama painted as weak and inexperienced due to the fact that he refuses to cheat on his wife? Is Mrs. Obama also weak and inexperienced because she would not stand for infidelity on the part of her husband?

Slick Willy has some nerve attacking Sen. Obama in any fashion; and Hillary should never suggest that any adult (especially Obama) is weak and/or naïve, as I have less respect for a woman that accepts infidelity, than the Man who cheats.

January 9, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  4. Chris

"There's just no crying in baseball and the Presidency is no exception."

Uh, there is crying in baseball. Shut it.

January 9, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. Jen Cedar Falls, IA

To Dave Thorson,

What scares you about reading these posts is that you can now see how divided our country would be if Hillary Clinton becomes our next President.

She is just like Bush, either loved or totally hated.
    No in-between.
    THIS is the biggest reason people need to vote for Anybody But Clinton!

To Unite our country with any other President! Other countries are watching, too and wondering if Clinton's and Bush's are a sort of dictator.
    Be careful, there's more at stake than you Hillary supporters think.

January 9, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  6. Dave

I truly believe the crying of cry baby clinton, and the temper tantrum of her stinking husband , was a political stunt put on by both of them. You can' tell me that there isn't something fishy, when the day before Obama was nine percentage points ahead, and comes in 2nd. the truth is both Clintons are low life crooks So Hillary supporters if you want this cry baby in the White House, wait tell she has an affair with one of the pages,interns or aides. The truth is I would rather have my dog in the White House, then this witch.

January 9, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  7. Tony

First of all. she didn't cry. I am sure all of us have teared under much less strain. Secondly, who cares who the woman "who asked" voted for? Six kids died in Iraq today and this is a featured story????

January 9, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  8. Max, DC

THIS IS NOT NEWS PEOPLE!!!! Get to the issues!

January 9, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  9. Ken Harris

I agree with you Dave Thorson and I do apologize if any of that venom comes through in any of my comments. I think that for some of us anyway, the frustration comes primarily from how many people buy into Hillary's the pandering that is soooo obvious. In addition, it doesn't take a lot of research to figure out that there is no more real substance behind anything she does or has done then the man her and the former president love to attack for being soooo inexperienced. In addition, there has been this sense of entitlement portrayed by the Clintons that is nothing less than disgusting. As far as I can tell, HRC has done NOTHING that entitles her to be one inch closer to the Whitehouse than Barrack Obama; significantly less than some on the GOP side if the overblown experience argument actually wins the day.

I would also like to echo your sentiments regarding most folks operating on sound bites rather than looking into the candidates and the issues. I have read Barrack's book(s) and have been impressed with the way he handles himself, including the grasp of issues he does seem to portray, during the debates and various interviews. Hillary, not so much. One thing is for sure, this election is going to be very interesting. As for venom, we aint seen nothin' yet... Wait until the Clintons really get going, they are the masters of spin and mudslinging. Hopefully Barack is well prepared.

GO OBAMA!!!

January 9, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  10. Evil Boo

anyone seen this comic strip at pimpampum.net? the secret of Hillary's come behind victory.

Secret Strategy by Evil Boo

January 9, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  11. Shanita W. --NC

Come on AMERICA! Clinton’s tactic is tasteless and plagiarized. Clinton has seemed to manipulate the viewers once again with her irrefutable need to contradict Obama’s message. Candidate Edwards clearly expressed comparable passion, in fact more on the state of America at the NH debate, however we hear nothing of the genuineness of Edward’s plea for change. Obama and Edward both have had their own voice from the start, yet Clinton just discovers hers after several debates and a caucus? Clinton has not been the Nation’s candidate, and women need to see that women’s rights are not what unify America, nor does dividing parties for political gain exemplify the best candidate. It’s time to wake up America and recognize the snake in the grass, a wolf in sheep’s clothing and a manipulator among the most “experience”. We need a change, and Clinton’s tactic is not becoming of her to conjure negative publicity towards candidates for her own personal gain. Wake up America!

January 9, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  12. Marko Dezdri, Portland, OR

GO HILLARY! YOU HAVE THE SUPPORT OF SMART AMERICANS.

I'LL BE THERE THE DAY YOU ARE INAGURATED!

January 9, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  13. marykay

yes:but I didn't inhale.
    I did not have relations with that woman.

I did not care about all that then and I don't care about it now.Hillary stuck by her husband through all of that.And the only reason people cared about those two things is because he was famous.No one would care at all if john doe made those comments or did any of those things,so who cares that has nothing to do with being qualified for president I don't get why it was or still is an issue.Hillary is not Bill so none of that even matters and neither does any of their marital issues.I think its clear that they love each other and stick together.Bill is not president anymore and no one cares about your marital issues so why do you care about theirs?Hillary is the most qualified candidate like it or not.

January 9, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  14. Geri

I guess I didn't see the tears only a crack in her voice. These are the most sickening blogs I have ever read,. The news coverage for Obama has been over the top. Were the news people afraid he would pull the racist card if they didn't give him all the attention?? Last night, they said he read his speech off a tele prompter then go on to say what a magnificent speaker he is...does that make sense.?? As far as I can tell, he's not God or even close to it. Doesn't compare to JFK, Bobby Kennedy, or Martin Luther King. His speeches say nothing but change....BUT change what is what a lot of us would like to know. Lay off the Clintons. Grow up and stop your whining. Its not very becoming from what is supposed to be a variety of people.

January 9, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  15. Laureen McMullan

I am a Canadian but what ever happens in your country affects ours.

I truly do not understand how a country can vote in successive family members to run their country. There is nothing more dangerous, the Clinton"s are in the same class as Bush, the "represent the interests of the big corporations first club".

Your reputation abroad has been completely damaged, your employment is in a shambles, your percentage of people below the poverty level is like a third world country , you now have a banking and housing crisis.

What did the Clinton's do to further your country or make changes for the better of all your people? This many years later you still have the SAME problems but now they are much worse!

I do not believe for one minute that the Clinton's will dig you out of this hole, but they might dig it a little deeper.
    LM in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

January 9, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  16. Paul

Dave Thompson
    I agree we should be talking about the qualifications of the candidates. To me as well as many other Obama supporters, two important qualifications for president are:

1. Integrity
    Obama – Consistant in message and behavior throughout campaign. Has not made any personal attacks on his opponents.
    Clinton – Changed her personality after Iowa defeat and spinned it as "Finding her voice" the day before the election and after "35 years" of experience. Attacked Obama's message ( "Fairy tale" ) and the spirit of the American people ( "False hopes" ). Blatently stole Obamas and Edwards messages days before the election. Edwards – "Extremely personal to me." Obama – "Change the culture of Washington"

2. Leadership
    Obama – Calls the people to action. He inspires them to not only demand the governemnt they deserve, but to get up off the counch and participate.
    Hillary – Tells people that she is the most qualified to lead.

These are VERY important qualities of a president and frankly qualities that have been lacking for a long time by any political leader over the last 20 years including Bush and Clinton.

January 9, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  17. wake up

People, make up your mind. If someone wants to see bad on someone else, will find it, no matter what, if someone wants to see good, will find it also. How about to try to be objective, fair ? All those mean attacks on Hillary are just simply results of weak, simple minds.
    If Hillary does not show emotions – she is cold, if she shows emotions – it is not right either. She did not cry, she was touched – what is wrong with that? It does not mean she is weak......she is strong, lady. Maybe those who are not able to keep their emotion under control are simply jealous.? I would like to see all thos critics in her situation- how they would handle themselves and the situation.
    She does not need to act...
    Obama was quite emotional on his speech after NH primary, and this is OK?
    It is Ok to show emotion, Hillary did not have any breakdown – breakdown looks very very different. She just got touched, sad...this is OK.
    Hillary is going through such a hell from some people – is this what smart classy lady has to go through trying to do something good for people? Such a hostile comments, attacks on her.

A lot of women can learn from her – to be a lady, to be able to hold emotions and poise when bad is happening, to be caring, smart, strong...

January 9, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  18. Cathy

Note that Lower Case cathy is not the same as this Cathy, as she supports Clinton and I support Obama.

Please, Lower Case, do not sully our shared name. Excessive exclamation points are the first sign of an unstable personality.

I'm an educated, highly intelligent young woman, which is why I think Clinton is NOT the best solution for our country. She's not a role model; all she proves is that if you marry the right man you can move up in the world. What happened to one's own ability? One's own bootstraps?

January 9, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  19. Tameka

I've never been too much into politics, but I will say with recent events, I can think of nothing else. As the story of the next President unfolds, much like a great mystery, I rush home every day to see what new clue the media has left behind. The suspense of this great tale is elevated by its twists and un-expecting factors. Each day I'm pulled into this story and consumed by its overwhelming dynamics, a woman and a black man running for our Executive Chief Officer.

But I have to ask, since its brief mention is intriguing, did John Edward's comments of Hillary Clinton's emotional moment a strategic move to ultimately hurt Barack Obama? As a black woman, I'm truly insulted by the question, is America ready for a woman or black President? To ask suggests that there is inferiority to a white man and/or a lack of luster in the chromosome that decides my gender or in the pigment that causes my skin to be colored.

To purposely generalize, I know that there is not a man alive who has not felt the wrath of a woman, and a woman scorn is a true force to reckon. There is no under minding the struggle and the continued double standard that compels us to come out of the very realm of what makes us a woman just to compete for the same position and/or the same compensation. We were not created in spite of man, but to complement his general characteristics, as they equally complement mine. So tell us, we are not tough enough to run the White House because we are too emotional, well, we will show you. And indeed the female vote in NH did just that.

Having said (typed), that, there are more male chauvinists than racists. With Barack Obama out of the race for the Democratic nominee, John Edwards is sure to win. Because, again has the luster that my gender and race will not allow me to carry. It is the same unsaid phenomenon that the Republic party believes, that the United States will not vote a woman into the White House, because a woman is not going to tell him what to do.

Can you tell by my passage, who I support? Clinton? No, Obama, and I found myself disgusted with John Edwards with his intent sabotage (venting). I support Obama because he makes me believe, and only a true leader has the power to make a person to believe. This gift is not possessed by everyone, and it may lie dormant in many until the right circumstance allows it to be demonstrated. It cannot be taught. In the manufacturing world there is a difference between a manager and a leader, both with authority. I’d follow Obama (if a manager in the working field) because I believe and trust is judgment, and not because there would be some repercussions. Clinton is like a manager, who knows her stuff, and I would comply with her direction because of her knowledge. But when you believe in the direction given, it makes the actions that you take and events that you embark upon much more fulfilling.

January 9, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  20. Rick

A person I know previously worked for HC and she told me "this woman is incapable of tears." Don't be fooled like most of the voters in NH.

January 9, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  21. Sarah

I don't think we need another president in the office that divides our country. It seems like people either hate Hillary or love her. At this crucial time we need a leader that can unite us, not a leader that can further widen the gap.
    I hope that she does not become our democratic nominee, if so, I think another Republican might take over the White House.

January 9, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  22. Jen, New York, NY

William from Vancouver,

Americans are not stupid. We are just tired of the same Bush-Clinton cycle that's been spanning our country for the last 20 years. We need someone new to lead us in a new direction. Look how far our country has fallen in the last 2 decades, and you will understand why the new generation is looking elsewhere and forward to someone else to lead us back to where we belong in this world.

January 9, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  23. Jeanine G

Let's get real here folks.

In the middle-east, women who take political positions, or are leaders are NOT respected, they are not listened to...they are not effective in that region of the world.

Jihadists, Al Qaeda, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Hamas, will NOT be taking advice from a western woman on ANY SUBJECT.

Hillary may think she has the experience, but I'm betting the most experience she's had talking with Arab leaders has been on Mosque tours and sitting down to a dinner. Because that is a far as they believe a woman can enter into politics.

How do we use Hillary to rebuild our status in the world when they won't talk to her as an equal?

And is there ANY White Male Republican that any arab leader trusts or will allow in a peace seeking solution? IN FACT the true jihadist WANTS the Republican "Crusader" white candidates to WIN the White House because the Repubs give them the strongest reason to fight...they are perfect recruitment tool.

A Woman is office means years of beling blown off because they don't want to argue with a woman and be sullied and its hard to rally jihadists around killing a woman.

Barack Hussain Obama, a Christian president, with a Muslim name, who has a reputation for reaching out. A man who will look like the people he will be negotiating with, is the best way to earn their trust & respect.

The time for Change should also include who will be most effective in communicating with THE REST OF THE WORLD too.

That would be OBAMA

January 9, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  24. Nikole

I would like people to stop crediting Bill Clinton's achievements to Hillary. And why is it okay to claim 35 years of experience?

January 9, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  25. shauna Miner

I just have to say this before I go nuts. I am neither Republican or Democrat. I try to vote for those who represent my values, hopes, and desires for the country to follow. May I say a couple of things about Mrs. Clinton?

1. She got teary in front of everyone because it suited her purposes and was probably dead dog tired. I cry too when I am tired. It was not motivated out of passion for this country.

2. She claims to have more experience than Obama. Did she just not leave her first year or second year as a Junior Senator? That is experience? She was not Madam President when Bill was in, she was simply Mrs. Clinton, First Lady. She was not the President.

3. I am fine if a woman gets elected President, but lets elect the right one! Personally, right now I associate her with scandal, letting friends go to Prison, deception, right winged conspiracies, and all that other stuff. she has not proven herself worthy to be President.

4. I dont care if you are white, black, Mormon, Catholic, Pink or purple. For once, we need someone who can keep some promises. What about that great healthcare plan Hillary had way back when? :-( It's doing great, dont you think?
    (Sarcasm...) Come on women, show some intelligence and vote for the right person. Not just because she is FEMALE!!

Thank you for giving me the forum to share some thoughts. Anerson, you are awesome...

January 9, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |