January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Anil

Americans should vote for either Obama or Edwards from democrats or Ron Paul or Mitt Romney. Hillary cried becuase she lost and Huckabee is not trust worthy.

January 9, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  2. Frank Hubeny

Interesting that so many people were polled as voting for Obama, even the exit polls, even the woman who made her cry, and yet Clinton still won.

How is it that all of these polls were so wrong and wrong only for Clinton and Obama?

I think it is more likely that someone at some state-level electronically stuffed the ballots.

January 9, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  3. Elizabeth

I love how "made her cry" is assumed to be the truth? No one made her cry, she fake cried and it's all in her body language. Please, we're not stupid girlfriend.

January 9, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  4. nerdgirl

Does anyone else even slightly wish we could elect a President without the media saturation of the current day???

That said, I do appreciate this forum; but give me a specific reason why you believe (or do not belive) in a particular candidate without surrounding your case with the current headlines.

As I read this list of comments, I am (again) acutely aware of the range of emotions stirred by politics. I truely wish we could stand as a unified nation, but it seems as if we Americans only do so as a result of a national crisis (at least we do that).

At a time when our Country is despised and considered weak or unreliable by many of our global neighbors, we all know the next President will face a myriad of challenges. So I ask of my fellow countrymen: please do not vote on passion alone, but use your heart and your head. We cannot afford to vote stubbornly.

January 9, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  5. Patricia

The Clintons have superstar complex – they have always postured themselves as celebrities and Hillary's emotional moment was no different. I can see their greed for absolute power behind that quivering voice and welled-up eyes. That clip is like seeing a kid whose lollipop has been snatched away from her. It's "argumentum ad misericordiam" – she tried to win votes by sympathy (and mudslinging, to boot) not through the merits of her platform. She was so desperate to win that she stooped so low that she can crawl through a close door (what makes her different from a cockroach?) If she wins the nomination, I will support a Michael Bloomberg candidacy. If Bloomberg is not running, I will support the republican nominee. 8 years of the Clintons in the ORAL Office is enough!!!

January 9, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  6. AJ, IL

I think three things pushed Hillary past Obama in New Hamsphire. One is the Hillary campaign getting Bill Clinton to go on the attack against Obama (distorting Obama's Iraq war stance and Iraq voting record) and Hillary's attempt to show her softer side (the tearing factor). Secondly was that McCain drew more than expected independent voters to his cause. If Obama would have garnered 8000 to 9000 more independent votes, this primary would have had a different ending. Thirdly and most importantly, John Edwards presence in the race hurt Obama the most. Edwards drew in ~48000 votes of which ~70% cited Obama as their second choice. Edwards candidacy diluted Obama's Democratic and Independent support. If Edwards had dropped out in Iowa, Obama would have probably ended up with 48% of the primary vote compared to Hillary at 41%.

January 9, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  7. R Lowe

Go....................... Obama 08

January 9, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  8. Kevin, Landover, MD

People are dying because of her WAR vote. So all you ladies that gave Hillary a sympathy vote. Shed a tear for those dead soldiers and their families. By you ladies voting out of emotions and NOT good Judgment are saying that Ladies are inferior to men.

As they cannot control their emotions. Crying is seen as weak to the rest of the World. If they really gave Hillary a vote because of crying, it is a VERY SAD thing Ladies.

Send us all to hell in a handbasket cause someone can shed a tear on que.

January 9, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  9. Stephanie

When the going gets tough in the race for the White House, the country needs a person who is going to stand on the issues and the challenges ahead we face as a country. Please don't tell me people are naive enough (and oddly sympathetic) that all Hillary has to do is turn on the water works to get a vote. That's not democracy, that's a joke.

January 9, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  10. Tom Davie

nikole.

Are you married? But I bet you can take a lot of credit for your influence on him as you grow together. My wife and I have grown together. We influence eachother all the time.

To say that Hillary had no influence on Bill, just as he will have on her presidency is utterly naive.

Did any of you watch Mrs Elizabeth Edwards speak yesterday? Tell me her experience supporting John Edwards means nothing?

And I will say this again.

The Obama camp is literally riddled with HATRED. Hatred for what bush has done to the country. Hatred for the Clintons -like they had anything to do with it . Hatred for the 'status quo' or anything to do with politics at all.

They are not uniting anything. Reread all the posts. Its all HATRED towards anything and anyone except Obama.

You will not unify ANYTHING. You will just find someone else to HATE. Next is the republicans. Then what? Anyone who disagrees with Obama ? Whats after that?

Any nation who disagrees with Obama ? HATE them too ?

We hillary supporters DO NOT HATE Obama. We like Obama. We just think he is too inexperienced.

January 9, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  11. Martin Lazcano

Hillary Saw an opportunity and she took it. I am not moved with crocodile tears. She claims that she has all this Washington experince but let's face it – She only recently served in the Senate and it does not make her an expert. Hillary knew she was loosing to Obama and she did it to gain votes. Also, there is no stress level difference for the rest of the presidential candidates, so what makes her so special? Running a country is a lot more stressful, harder, intense, demanding, and so many other things than running for the precidency. If you can handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

January 9, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  12. leslie

Not to be critical...but....I can't see someone being the leader of the free world who cries about the pressure of a campaign. There are a LOT more pressures being President. What would she do under those pressures???? I am all for seeing a woman take that position....just not Hilary. She behaved exactly the way men expect women to act. A future woman President needs to be strong emotionally.

January 9, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  13. Bayousara

Feeling a candidate's "electricity" while speaking is hardly a reason to vote for that person for president.

There have been many people during my lifetime who were "electric" speakers who were also criminals and murderers, and more.

January 9, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  14. Geoffrey

Barack Obama is who America must elect in order for our country to progress and recover from the politics in Washington over the past few years. He is the reason masses of people are turning out to the polls, he is responsible for EVERY candidate changing their campaigns to a message of change in government, which he has stood for since his speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2004. Barack Obama inspires, unites, and stands by his premises. One who can do this can persuade a divided Congress to pass legislation, inspire average Americans to achieve more, and reason with other countries around the world. His foreign policy will help us regain our allies, his education proposals will raise the rate of literacy in this country, and his health care proposal is the most reasonable and feasible of all plans presented by the other candidates. Hillary's idea of universal health care isn't feasible, look at Canada's economy and where it is headed. Our country is far too large to realistically be able to cover everyone. Our system must be reformed, but universal coverage isn't realistic. It is time for America to take this very important opportunity to stand for REAL change, not continue the trend of two families (Bush and Clinton) to run our country. Lets go in a new direction!

January 9, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  15. undecided in DC

I think Hilary's bump was entirely due to the media. Claiming her candidacy was over if she didn't win New Hampshire, only the country's second contest, was completely biased and only served to ignite Clinton support. To be fair, the Clinton campaign should have to pay for all the free air time and the Obama campaign should be given a huge donation by every news organization that carried the story. The media influenced this primary and nothing else – and today's coverage is even more disgusting – blaming inaccurate polls, possible racism, the female hidden vote, etc... It is vile how much the media can "create" news and influence the future of our country.

January 9, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  16. Abeslom, Tampa

A TV add spent on NH primary, over 5 million dollars.
    Playing the emotional card, a NH win.
    There are somethings money can't buy, a convincing crying act, priceless :-)

January 9, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  17. Ali

Has anybody heard of a this evil thing called VOTING FRAUD!!!! The diebold electronic machines used in NH in some precincts are prone to tampering as was revealed by several tests. Why is it a surprise that the HIllary and her hubby can stoop to any measures to insure their king size bed in the lincoln bedroom they have missed for the last 8 years!!!

January 9, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  18. Chris in Va.

I defy anyone to name ONE thing that Hillary Rodham Clinton has accomplished FOR WE THE PEOPLE in her supposed 35 years of public service.

January 9, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  19. Bob - Florida, RFO

William, Vancouver BC, Canada January 9, 2008 9:29 pm ET

Thank you William for your service to the Monarchy and defence of the Realm.

Maybe you should stick to electing MPs whom then elect the Prime Minister as I know for a fact you have no experience in electing a President!

Not sure what details are on Hillary’s CV that makeup 35 years of experience but she graduated from Yale in 1973. Hum, let’s do the math 1973 + 35 = 2008!!

You might as well say "vote for me because I am older!" Biden, Dodd and Richardson all have impeccable records and real experience.

We are not electing a local council member, mayor, or dog catcher we are electing a President and I want my President to have vision, judgment and ability to inspire the people!

Vote Obama '08

I was an American Soldier, I am an American Soldier, I will always be an American Soldier and I support Barack Obama for President of the United States of America

January 9, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  20. Trevor

I am tired of hearing all this bull about Obama not being able to bring about this change that our country desperately needs. If you actually listen to his agendas they are in my opinion more sound than any of the other candidates. Obama wants to change america for the better. Hillary just wants to be the first women president. SO PLEASE AMERICA LETS ACTUALLY PUT SOMEONE IN OFFICE THAT WANTS TO HELP US.

January 9, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  21. ZQ

Many democrats, almost all independents, and every single republican will never, ever, ever, ever vote for her.

Ever.

She is reviled by 47% of the US. That’s 47% of the vote instantly gone. Add on the sizable portion of people that start disliking her after they learn or hear more about her and you have insta-landslide loss.

I have yet to have a Hillary supporter convince me that she can win the general election when everyone except a fanatically minority despise her.

How can she possible win? People do not vote for those they do not like (except Nixon).

Please, please convince me. Because at this point, this life long dem plans to sit on her hands if Hillary is the nominee.

January 10, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  22. Andy

Bunch of crock??

January 10, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  23. Bayousara

This entire blog is sickening!

I have read very few posts that I would attribute to intelligent and informed people.

Just a bunch of meanies who read so much baloney into a small story.

Dear God, I pray they all get hangnails and can't vote on election day!

January 10, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  24. Eoin

this is the same woman that made fun of stay-at-home moms for "baking cookies," and now all of a sudden she is touchy-feely? Please! This is a woman who would spin on her head and spit nickels if it got her votes, so pretending to get emotional is a cake walk for her! Even still, the Tin (Wo)Man couldn't muster enough "emotion" to get a fake tear to roll down her cheek...pathetic. What may be the only thing more pathetic than this gross display she put on is the fact that voters in New Hampshire are so short-sighted that they would vote for her based on that, apparantly forgetting the last 16 years of having her ram herself in our faces. Just another time when I think to myself that America deserves what we get!

January 10, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  25. concerned citizen, Mesa, Arizona

Why are you not complaining about Iowa voting for the males. They never elect a woman to elected office. They have no women in their government positions filled by elections. So why can't Hillary compalin about that. It is quite apparent it is true since Edwards was 2nd in Iowa but 3rd in New Hampshire. It seems Obama supporters only complain when it is their guy. I am with a few on here that thinks I will vomit if I hear change come out of Obamas mouth one more time. He gives same speeches over and over using his church voice that sounds like he is preaching. And why is everyone so sure the African American people will vote for Obama in South Caroline? I am a firm believer they vote for the candidate that most represents what they want in a president. Why would this not concern Obamas supporters that they would vote on race but critize Hillary because they feel women voted according to gender. I give the American people more credit.

January 10, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |