January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. cynthia

Hillary is crying because she is losing what she thought was something she was entitled to . I puke each time she says "when I was in the White House". She was not elected to any office but the one she holds now as a senator. to call Obama a newbie only means she is one term ahead of him in terms of actual experience within HER authority not her husband's. She promised she would not "use Bill" to campaign for her and she quickly got him out there when she saw the attention that Obama is garnering.
    She is still the calculating, scripted woman she always has been, trying to spin tears to show she can be vulnerable. However, the kinks in the sheild were put there by the Obama campaign not hers.
    If she wins the democratic nomination, which I doubt, I will vote for whatever republican is on the ticket.

January 10, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  2. kate

I have read some of these comments and what i find amazing is the credit your giving of Hillary's acting skills..SHE HAS NONE! didn't you all see that sopranos skit she did?? HELLO PEOPLE. I know you all might hate her but that was real emotion.

January 10, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  3. Christine, Oakdale CA

Hillary Clinton has a heart and it showed in her reaction plus being tired. Attacking her just shows me you people have no heart. She has my vote.

January 10, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  4. cw

Geezus. PHONY PHONY PHONY. Bill and Hillary. PHONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 10, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  5. S.U.

Crying is Not a sign of weakness! It shows she cares for our country. I was going to vote for all along and I still am!

January 10, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  6. Kitty, Denver, CO.

Clinton's slim win did nothing but prove that status quo "is in the house", and they have no intention of leaving. I was very surprised and disappointed by what Bill did and said yesterday. He was like an entirely different person. The man looks haggered as well.

Given what he said and what she did, do these people really stand for change?

January 10, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  7. Joyce Bridgers

Everytime I see the footage of Hillary, prentending to be having an emotional breakdown, it makes me physically ill. Someone please tell me what she meant, when she paused during her hissy fit to state "you know(SOB), I see what is happening and we have to turn reverse it". What was it she saw, mabe a black man making a serious bid to become president? Who was she really speaking to?

January 10, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  8. David

This is total nonsensse. She made Mrs Clinton win Iowa and now she says she voted for Obama. It is mockery of our democracy. The presidential candidate cries to gets votes.We Americans vote for someone who cries simply because her long held ambition is at risk. She didnt cry for America. She cried because she was hopelss. Please note that a nation can not be bult on tears but on the vision and charisma of a leader.

January 10, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  9. Bob - Florida, RFO

Jeanine G January 9, 2008 11:02 pm ET

I'm not sure if Condi or Maggie T. would agree with that but I know your intentions are good.

Go Obama '08

I was an American Soldier, I am an American Soldier, I will always be an American Soldier and I support Barack Obama for President of the United States of America!

January 10, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  10. Will, OKC, OK

This is what happens when the media sensationalize political events.

The fact that the clip of Hillary was played over and over definitely had an impact on the outcome of the New Hampshire primary. I find it outrageous that the media can so subtly yet brazenly manipulate political events in this manner.

People are really ready for change, and Hillary Clinton is more of the same. America is turning into a country ruled not by leaders of the people but by family dynasties.

A "Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton" presidential succession would really be a historical embarrassment, and future generations would likely scratch their head in puzzlement that we were so complacent about choosing our leaders.

January 10, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  11. Andy

As soon as Iowa was done, all we heard about was how Clinton had to figure out a way to connect.........5 seconds of last minute tears.....what a shock, how totally unexpected.

The really lame part of this story is how the media portrayed it as anything more than a stunt.

January 10, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  12. Matt

Criticizing someone for their rationale for voting for one candidate over another. amazes me, but not suprising. If a tear moves someone to vote for someone, then so be it. Look at all the people that do not even vote!

January 10, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  13. Erica

I really do not understand why people keep falling for political tactics??? Does anyone really think that any of the candidates care about any issues that mean anything to this country. We fall for the same things every 4 years, and frankly I am sick of it.

January 10, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  14. Vincent

What is happening to our country? A candidate wins the Iowa GOP caucus, despite increases Arkansas tax burden by 47% for the average citizen, because he's a minister. McCain wins New Hampshire, despite saying it's okay to stay in Iraq for 100 years. Fox "News" excludes a candidate from their forum, because they don't like his views. Clinton wins New Hampshire because of crying? Seriously? I weep for our country.

Our country is dying, and it has all to with foreign policy (misunderstood) & monetary policy (not discussed).

January 10, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  15. Linda Vi Vona

Do we really want a president who cries because she wasn't winning? Her tears were for herself not the people.

January 10, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  16. Jeremy, Ypsilanti, MI

It's time to put this "Hillary has 35 years of experience" nonsense to bed. Experience doing what? Does being first lady of Arkansas qualify you to be President? Why don't we rise up and nominate Janet Huckabee to run?

She's a bright woman who has been married to a politician. Let me say this once so all the Hillary followers can understand:

SHE HAS SEVEN YEARS OF RELEVANT EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!

Just about the same as Obama.

What we need more than anything is a President that half the country doesn't despise. Enough. The constant attacks on Bill and the constant attacks on Bush were counter productive. Get smart, people, if the Dems nominate Hillary and the GOP nominates McCain it is checkmate. Her Muskie moment may have won over NH women but Independent men all over the country will not vote for her.

She'll lose another 50-49 heartbreaker and we'll be stuck with a Republican (no matter how moderate) to replace Justice Stevens. And that is truly scary.

TIme to rally behind Obama. Let's thank the Clintons for a job well done and look to the future.

January 10, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  17. Grace, Overland Park, Kansas

As a woman, I am ashamed for the woman who voted for Clinton out of sympathy for her tears and I applaud Marianne for seeing through Clinton's shameless ploy. And I am not amused by Clinton's supposed "35 years of experience" as well as her feverish tactics to highlight her role as the first female President. First of all, what is this saying about women if she wins the office? That as a woman, you have to be MARRIED to a popular politician to gain the bulk of your "experience" as well as name recognition? face it, without Bill, Hillary is nothing. We wouldn't be talking about Hillary if she wasn't married to Bill and pretty much piggybacked off his successful campaigns. When we get a female President, I want a woman who has made it ON HER OWN. i realize that Hillary is an excellent attorney and senator in her own right, but the bulk of her experience comes from her association with Bill. If Bill didn't win his gubernatorial and presidential campaigns, I doubt Hillary would be a candidate today.

If Chondoleeza Rice or even Madeline Albright was running for President, I would feel compelled and thrilled to vote for them out of a desire to see a female President (provided I agree with their issues). Chondi Rice has became successful BY HERSELF. SHE was appointed to her position, and she served in it. On the other hand, the only election Hillary has won is as a Senator. And the fact that her husband is extremely popular among democrats (especially in NH) overclouds her negative aspects.

let's vote for someone who has made it on his/her own. obama would be one of those, jon edwards, guiliani, mccain. all of them did NOT rely on famous family members to get where they were. romney and clinton, on the other hand, did. and maybe it's just me, but i am not too eager to elect someone who is related to famous politicians because i think their relationship clouds their judgment and they don't really know how to do it by themselves (i.e. george w.)

January 10, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  18. Physicist

Politicians certainly don't have a patent on mud slinging. We Americans claim a deep desire to discuss important issues instead of politicians hurling invectives at each other. After reading the comments here, however, I'm astonished at those who believe they can pierce/bare the soul of a candidate. Have we really grown so cynical and mean spirited? My crystal ball is muddier. I'm 'forced' to make rational decisions based upon the candidates' intelligence, pragmatic ability to solve incredibly complicated problems, wisdom based on past actions, and demonstrated compassion for those with weak voices. We need to wake up! No one can shine when put under an electron microscope! Listen with an open mind, research with diligence, and make your decisions based upon intelligent comparisons. We don't need to be armchair psychiatrists. Democracy is based upon our ability to make crucial choices utilizing our brains, not bashing.

January 10, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  19. Wally

Jeanine G:

Condi Rice has no problem with dealing with the Mullahs.

January 10, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  20. Kim J.

Obama had the deceny to initially congratulate Hillary after she won the NH caucus, while Hillary never congratulated Obama. That to me shows how disingenuous she really can be –she can't even return a compliment. If she had any respect she would have congratulated Obama in the same manner that he congratulated her. So no - I don't think Hillary's tears were genuine at all. Who wants a president with no interpersonal skills. I'd take Obama's lack of experience over Hillary's fake tears anyday.

January 10, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  21. kerry

I am a woman and there is no way I would ever believe a word Hilary said. It is all a calculated ACT!

January 10, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  22. Michelle

The thought of a Hillary Clinton presidency just makes me feel defeated. The thought of a Barack Obama presidency, on the other hand, seems positive and brimming with potential, even in the wake of these shameful Bush years. I am interested in intelligence, grace, foresight...and I want to be inspired.

Clinton's NH (narrow) win will, I think, strengthen the resolve of those of us who do not believe she is the best person for the job. I think we're going to donate more $ and time in an effort to bring about some real change. It's time.

January 10, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  23. Jennifer

No matter what is claimed, it's clear Hillary has no experience that prepares her for the Presidency. On top of that she's widely misliked. The party has just made a mistake in laying back and letting her take the lead; why haven't more qualified people stepped for the Democrat party! Right now, Senator Biden is only one in the party lineup actually ready for Day One; and he of course hasn't a chance.

It should never have come to this.

The media will try to elect Hillary; but the people will not have it! Then what?

January 10, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  24. Bruce, San Francisco,CA

Clintona are imposing themsleves on the American people, Hillary is 100% convinced that its her turn to govern, they are treating USA like their family asset. Govern she will govern but it will be a disaster, electing someone based on her husband's experience and leaving the right candidate on the side.

January 10, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  25. sam

voter fraud
    obama and paul were cheated
    in the precint of sutton it is reported paul got 31 votes, while Sutton reported zero votes for Ron Paul
    exit polls shows obama was leading clinton
    even the cnn exit polls show them to be tied
    why would people lie after they had voted
    this is a fraud