January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Allie, New York NY

I say kudos to Clinton for letting her emotions show on the campaign trail. It's a dangerous thing to do- if she's too hard, she's "unfeminine" and "inhuman" and if she's too soft she's an "emotional woman" and "having a break down" (I don't know who decided a slightly wavering voice constitutes a breakdown- especially considering these are the same networks that have been covering the Britney Spears debacle lately)

January 10, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  2. Jason

there's no crying in baseball !!

January 10, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  3. Felipe Martinez

Hillary finally sounded totally genuine! I am so glad and perhaps that is the key to her going on a winning it all. I hope that she also makes "genuine" comments about her change ideas. I would like for her to say that she would change our rotten economy so that more people get jobs, like the last Clinton administration did. I hope she changes this horrible situation where daughters bury mothers and mothers bury daughters due to breast cancer and other female specific problems.. I just can believe that we have not conqured that abomination. I hope she says that she wants to change the less than half measure taken by Bush on drug benefits for medicare recipients. I hope that she says that she wants to change another abomination which is deficits generated by tax cuts for the rich. I think our economy is finally sinking due to that burden and, of course, the Iraq financial burden. I also hope that she talks of change in the war in Iraq. Perhaps we can not pull out immediately upon Democrats winning the next presidential election but she can say she wants to see fewer men being maimed and being killed while maintaining enough military support to help the currently useless Maliki goverment while that government finds some solution to their need to protect their own country in the near future.

January 10, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  4. Sherma- CA

People say Hillary has experience? Experience doing what? being the wife of governor, of a president? come on. That is absolutely NO experience. Barack as equal or more experience, better judgement, and atleast has integrity... and being an inspiritional speaker will come in handy in times of trouble.remember, its the people that you surround yourself with... do we want more of the same? We need change!!!

January 10, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  5. Jo2

If we were at war with country X why would we even consider a president who has any backgrounding country X? Amazing how fooling people are, seem like a
    new world order prophecy to me.

January 10, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  6. John Smith,N.H.

WELL, ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT MARIANNE PERNOLD YOUNG, YOU ARE A MEAN WOMAN. THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION BUT YOU BETRAY YOUR FELLOW WOMAN OF OR CLOSE TO YOUR AGE. YOU WON RIGHT THERE TRUE FRIEND IN HILLARY BUT YOU DID NOT DELIVER BY SUPPORTING HER. FEW BLOGGERS WERE SAYING THAT YOUR QUESTION WAS PLANTED. THANK YOU FOR CLARFYING THIS POINT. HILLARY IS THEN REALLY GENUINE. AND SHE HAS THE EXPERIENCE TO CHANGE THE ECONOMY AND PULL PROGRAMS TO HELP SINGLE MOTHERS IN THIS COUNTRY. SHE IS INDEED THE BEST CANDIDATE OUT THERE.

January 10, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  7. Gabby

I was shocked and appalled by what I read here. How can anyone cast a vote on the assumption that the one they really want to win will win anyways? As far as Hillary and her tears, I think the country needs a strong personality to run it, not a tear stained face. As far as Hillary and her political experience, well perhaps I missed something there but didn't Obama come up under Paul Simon as a protege, covered all Illinois children for health insurance, He won the Illinois senator race in a land slide without the backing of the democratic party and pushed through the first ethics bill in 25 years. U.S. senator representing Illinois, and pushed for ethics reforms. Hillary won the New York seat basically by name recognition. In 1974 she worked in the house judiciary committee's on the impeachment of Nixon. She worked on Carter's campaign. She spearheaded Bill Clinton's Health Care task force that never presented anything to Congress or the Senate and then dissolved. I am all for equal rights and it's not about the sex of the candidate to me it's about the ability to do the job. Did Americans learn nothing about voting for a name? If so may the powers that be help us all.

January 10, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  8. Maria

I would like to shed some light on Senator Hillary Clinton’s most recent victory over Senator Barack Obama in the N.H. primaries. Many people are still trying to figure out exactly what caused such an unexpected “comeback” for Senator Clinton after many leading national polls and news networks predicted an almost seemingly inevitable win for Senator Obama. The answer lies in the announcement of Senator Clinton’s remarkable gains of female voters. Why such a large support from women? A recent campaign rally of Senator Clinton’s contained an “unidentified” male heckler in the crowd holding a sign which read “IRON MY SHIRT” as he yelled the phrase repeatedly at Senator Clinton. At first glance, this image inspires emotions of outrage and anger, but after further scrutiny it should reveal something that I don’t believe most people are paying attention too, sexism scamming. First, when men want to boldly discriminate against women in such a public forum they would not use this statement. Males are more prone to use the phrases “GET IN THE KITCHEN, MAKE ME SOME FOOD, GET ME A BEER WOMAN, or their all time favorite A WOMAN’S PLACE IS IN THE KITCHEN BAREFEET AND PREGNANT”. In my honest opinion, only a woman who was trying to rally female anger and support towards overcoming a historically male driven society would use such a tactic. I think this male individual was placed in the audience by the Clinton campaign in order to envoke such a reaction from female voters. I believe the Clinton campaign may have just pulled off the biggest sexism scam in election history! If everyone in this country would stop scratching their heads in amazement at how she managed to rally such strong female support in a very short amount of time, you would realize the answer too. Thanks for listening.

January 10, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  9. Savi

It seems that most reviews here given by the people from Obama camp who doesnt want clinton to win.

January 10, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  10. Kiran

It is indeed disappointing that the women of New Hampshire who voted for Hillary just because she cried and wanted to give her moral support. They were so easily manipulated by the oldest political trick. So much for the New Hampshire voters being politically savvy.

January 10, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  11. Ron

I will never vote for her. She and her husband are crooks. When they need the black vote, they pander to them. Then they castigate Obama as a flip flopper, just what the republicans did to Kerry. The Clintons are trash. I am a dem. but will stay away or vote for McCain in the general election.

January 10, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  12. rambo

I hope clinton will win

January 10, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  13. sd

all of it seems to be a farce. the question wasn't so intense and Hillary had no reason to cry; dirty emotional politics is what she exhibited...trying to woo other voters (mostly the females) by shedding some tears might get her a few primaries but when it comes to being the president, it takes guts and determination which she seems to lack.

January 10, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  14. Randall

Mrs. Bill Clinton is a fake who has outlived her 15 minutes of fame about 15 years ago!

January 10, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  15. Chris

The candidates of both parties have been speaking for decades for change with
    no specific substance. The only real change has been bigger and deeper whole,
    trillions dollars of debt, hopes of empty promises – brain washing the
    people, filling their coffers, ignoring their duties, responsibilities, plunge
    the country into a war for over 5 years and lost of lives.
    A true change of substance will be when the people can express
    “THEIR WILL” on ALL MAJOR ISSUES”. The duties and responsibilities of
    the Congress should be and must be ”strictly construed”.
    The future destiny, liberty, freedom to live , work etc. should be in the hands
    of the people to “express their will” on ALL MAJOR ISSUES!
    “Find out to what people will submit and you will find the exact measure
    of injustice that will be impose upon them”. It is better to suffer,
    rather than to relinquish any “HOPES” to express “THE WILL ON ALL
    MAJOR ISSUES! It is a mistake to continue to give “unlimited power”
    to anybody, to plunge the country into a “war, debt of trillions of dollars”.
    The Congress did not comply with their duties and responsibilities!
    Their greed – wealth came first before the country and the people.

January 10, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  16. Gary

As a Republican, who is seriously sorry Bush2 got elected, (and yes, I voted for him) I find that Clinton's campaign seems to be running on emotionsand 'feel good' and 'womens empowerment' more than any substance or a real platform.

I don't know who I'll vote for in November. I'm not sure I really want to vote for anyone, but there are people I do want to vote against.

I mean, if you didn't like Bush 1 and 2, think about how you're going to feel with Clinton, the sequel. As with most movie sequels, the first is usually the better of them, and the first Clinton White House really wasn't all that great.

I do know that I won't vote for Clinton(s) in this election. Her campaign tactics are decietful and out to win votes, not to make a point, not to present herself as a viable leader for our country.

I'm sorry that Bill Richardson would pull out, I'm sorry he didn't get the support he needed. I might have voted for him.

Will Obama overcome the negatives of the Clinton campaign to get the Democratic nomination? I don't know. Is he the man for the job? I don't know that either, but the more I listen to him, the more I'm hearing something fresh and different, and maybe even believable.

I used to trust politicians. That may have been naive, but I was young. Now I don't. In Washington, it's nothing but a power struggle. Greed, Power, and Self Importance are the words and way of life. That is no way to run our country, but it is all that's there.

Will any of the Republican candidates be any better? I don't know. None of us will until someone is elected in November.

I fear for our country. Not from the evils and enemies beyond the gate, but those inside the gate who would do us great harm. Clinton(s) is at that top of that list in my book, and her actions have shown it again and again. The concept of 'change' to her is not understood. The Status Quo will reign supreme with her, and that would be the worst thing for our country now.

January 10, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  17. Louie

To anyone who thinks Hilary is "our only chance at restoring America's image," just leave the country for one second. IF our country is ever to change the "American perception," it has to be done through intelligence. Obama is simply a more intelligent person than Hilary Clinton. This has nothing to do with gender, this has nothing to do with race. He is an orator who has visions for America. Those of you doubters who keep asking, "How? How? How?", I ask you this: what organization/company/country/etc. EVER has a "road map" before they have a mission statement? Martin Luther King's "Dream" speech does not talk about "how"–are you laughing at him?

People really need to look carefully at each candidate's integrity as a part of his/her "record." Clinton is a good candidate; however, her integrity is questionable. Money has bought her morals before (there was a time when she sought socialized health care), money will be able to buy it again. Her husband, though once a great president, is Karl Rovian in his tactics to solicit votes for his wife.

It is simple–if America wants to change our "image," we need to stop supporting conglomerations and globalized corporations (many of which supported Bush and now support Clinton) and opt for intelligence and a VISION. We can have a great America, we simply need to work hard and get rid of the characteristics that have become synonymous with–and make the rest of the world hate–America.

January 10, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  18. john

As far as independents go, I'm one of them – but anyone who runs opposite hillary gets my vote.

January 10, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  19. Big Bro Watcher

Who cares. Remember? Swift boat...

January 10, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  20. s. callahan

Am i missing something.? It's not that shocking to see Clinton take the lead in NH but what people aren't talking about is how Obama took so many votes coming in behind her t...hat in itself was AMAZING!!! ..he is a newcomer compared to Clinton . I just don't see the excitement on this win for Clinton ..I have empanthy for her, i know she is a politician that was polished for this but she can't speak change for the voter because frankly i haven't seen much of it in NYS (OH! wait..the weathly got more money while the poor became worse off in NYS).
    NH's lead was not the amazing , think about it....consider her history, her preparation... for someone in power for the length of time she had , and that's including as a partner of a politician enabling her to have public persona, then throw in her own term as a NYS Senator (note: she is not a native New Yorker..she was planted here). I feel bad for the woman who was used by Clinton to garner votes..Glad she gave her vote elsewhere. She should have been paid for being tin the clip. I am so annoyed that no one is looking at the picture of the middle class in NYS...we are drowning and she is our represenative that shouldn't be letting this happen!!!!

January 10, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  21. jam, CA

I am a woman.
    I have been voting for over 25 years in the US – I am a baby boomer too.
    I am not swayed by a tear in HRCs eye, not by a long shot.
    I am not swayed by a crack in her voice as she talked in NH yesterday.
    Just as I was never swayed by Bills quavering lip in moments of real emotion.
    This couple is playing the US political game, playing it to the hilt.
    Politics in the US is a game, that is why she brought it up in conversation.
    American politics is the biggest game in this nation.
    I am registered as an Independent and I am proud of that distinction.
    I wil not vote for her just because she is a woman.
    She has too much politcal baggage.
    Her "C" baggage will keep her from making progress as US President.
    She is not the right choice for the times we live in.
    She would have had a better chance in 2004, but that ship has sailed and sunk.

January 10, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  22. Betty, Granite Bay CA

I am a woman.
    I have been voting for over 25 years in the US – I am a baby boomer too.
    I am not swayed by a tear in HRCs eye, not by a long shot.
    I am not swayed by a crack in her voice as she talked in NH yesterday.
    Just as I was never swayed by Bills quavering lip in moments of real emotion.
    This couple is playing the US political game, playing it to the hilt.
    Politics in the US is a game, that is why she brought it up in conversation.
    American politics is the biggest game in this nation.
    I am registered as an Independent and I am proud of that distinction.
    I wil not vote for her just because she is a woman.
    She has too much politcal baggage.
    Her "C" baggage will keep her from making progress as US President.
    She is not the right choice for the times we live in.
    She would have had a better chance in 2004, but that ship has sailed and sunk.

January 10, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  23. Marco

Northern whites will say that they will vote for Obama, but really they wont. Southern polls will be more accurate on this issue. Really the republicans have brought Hillary on themselves.

January 10, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  24. Anonymous

I would rather have hillary as president because she is stronger than obama and has experience in the white house, obama is way to nice, he would break under pressure.

January 10, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  25. Mike Levy

Go Hillary.Just think if she wins ,Republicans will start jumping out of windows.And we all want to see that. Hillary is what this country needs. Experience and brains.America has proven ,even the village idiot can become president,lets not go there again. Im voting for Hillary

January 10, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |