January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Anonymous

As others have said, I think the media is largely to blame for this teary display being over-publicized and over-analyzed. Now her campaign seems to hinge on that one moment. Reminds me of when Howard Dean became red-faced screaming so passionately during a speech....the media made so much of it that I feel they ruined his campaign. He seemed to have lost out because of that one moment. Even my parents who are hardcore Republicans thought that was unfair. Don't let the media choose our president! Do your research and don't make a decision that is simply based on sound bites!! And by the way – Go Obama!

January 10, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  2. Jay

Sam since the last two elections were stolen by bush. why not a democrat this time. 2000 election fraud forever changed this country and gave the rep. and bush the run of this country for 8 years. It has been one of the worst adm. in the history of this country and If it takes country wide fraud to get the dems. in power and this country back to the citizens then sobeit. Dems. are going to take over all three houses this time around and let the investigations of the crooks that run this country now begin. Chaney, Bush, and all of the croneys should end up in jail.

January 10, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  3. Cassagnol

None of the political canidates, especially H. Clinton, has presently detailed, specific plans on how they are going to solve the problems of the economy, comprehensive immigration reform, securing all of our borders with both Mexico and Canada, securinging our water borders and all our ports of entry, making the Veterans Administration budget mandatory instead of discreationary, dismantaling the IRS and implementing a flat tax, and continued fiscal support of the Global War on Terror worldwide--just to mention a few. These politicians all speak in riddles, circles, and continue to beat around the bush. None of them have presented a logical and systematical plan to permanently get rid of the national bebt and I do mean permanently. none of them have have supported permanently getting rid of the marriage penalty tax nor the middle class tax. A national medical plan will fail miserably. WHY???? Just look at the Veterans Admisitration, MEDICAID, MEDICARE, and the DoD TRICARE System-–all of them are run by the FEderal government-–including the new presription plan-–and all are insufficient, ineffective, and underfunded. The Federal Government cannot effeciently run national health care and has alredy proven it in the past 60 years. My decision will not come until election day in November 2008. none of these politicians are realistic nor want to help the American people.

January 10, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  4. HG, Glendale, CA

With Bill Richardson dropping out of the race, we are down to three Democratic candidates, with little real political experience: Being First Lady is not real political experience. Who would vote of Nancy Reagan or Barbara Bush, if they decided to follow their husbands' administrations? We are down to two 1 term Senators and a 1/3 term Senator. In two contests thus far, neither Hillary, nor Obama, have gotten more than 40% of the vote. Thus far, neither is the consensus candidate. At this point, as long as Edwards is in the race, I will support him, not because I want him to win, but because I want a deadlocked convention, that will hopefully turn to the only real unification candidate for this election: Al Gore, who would win the general election in a walk.

January 10, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  5. Scott, Los Angeles

After reading through a few of these prickly self-absorbed responses I would hesitate to be a representative leader for any of you at all.

Maybe we should not be looking for the answer in one person and start taking some responsibility ourselves, in our own neighborhoods, for our entire country. Last time I checked this was a Democarcy - though it's hard to tell from the current administration. Do you truly believe any of these candidates could please a mob of angry, polarized, arrogant Americans?

Every one of these candidates should be commended for surviving the scrutiny of people like you and having unyeilding faith in our country.

Clinton, Obama and Edwards are all tremendous people bravely facing an insurmountable task.

January 10, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  6. Ed B.

My choice is Michael Savage, check out the program and then comment.

January 10, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  7. Anne

If the candidates are only half as negative and superficial as many of the comments here, we might be ok.

January 10, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  8. Tony

Feelings? That's how narrow minded some people are. Obama may be an orator but it takes more than that to be the American president .

January 10, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  9. Christopher

Hilary played the part...hook, line, and sinker...it was very odd how such an emotional thought could segue way so eloquently into another bashing of Obama. She is a product of her husband and I think its sad politics can be manipulated so easily.

January 10, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  10. Jessica

Who cares if her tears were fake or not.
    I just want the Clintons back in the White House to at least put back our nation the way it was during Bill Clinton's era.
    Look at us now. Do I need to say more??

I believe Obama is a great candidate, but not now.
    Just having the knowledge vs. having an experience applying the knowledge result in two different things. We don't have time for his trial & error period. There will be times he'll pick up a dull knife to cut his steak, while Hillary picks up a sharp one. There will be times that Hillary will pick up a dull knife, but not as much as Obama. While he's deciding which knife to pick, one more precious life could be gone in Iraq. What if that was your child? Would you want to wait for Obama to learn to pick up a sharp knife?
    Wake up, Obama-supporters.
    Look around and observe the differences between your trained co-worker vs. your college intern.

January 10, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  11. George Vreeland Hill

To cry is good.
    If you have never shed a tear in your life, then you have not had much of a life.
    I am,

George Vreeland Hill

January 10, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  12. M.K.

if obama cried...he still would have lost new hampshire..and yes im a obama supporter..they'd still go for clinton.

January 10, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  13. CM

Everytime when unthinkable happens, it is a human tendency to rationalize it with simple answers and the simple answer is "Hillary act was calculated."

To me simple answer is Mania or Fixation or Obsession that leads to impaired judgement when you are influenced by a personality. The hype created by this personality let you forget the reality. In the NH, the battle was between "Hype" and "Instinct" and the winner was "Instinct".

I whole heartedly give credit to NH voters as they voted for what they felt was best thing to do. Calling their vote an impulsive or emotional vote will be an insult.

January 10, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  14. Joe

This is the real story of the day. The woman that was closest to Clinton to witness her first foray into a not so promising acting career saw right through and was swayed to vote for Obama. The way the media has covered her little "moment" is obsurd. Instead of calling it what it is, a political stunt, they talk about how she's showing her "emotional side" and "opening up her heart" and a bunch of other nonsense.

January 10, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  15. Maria, California

Could anyone trust Clinton back into the white house? All this is about power people and about helping these 2 getting into their own deals. The only reason Hillary is here at this time and not divorced is because she cares more about her own agenda....taking all the crap from her husband is just to go back to where she was humiliated as a wife. She needs to find a job in Hollywood now after the race is over........ give me a break.

January 10, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  16. Adrian V.

What bothers me the most about this is how completely unmentionable the supposed Hillary Breakdown is. Generally speaking I get my news more from printed and internet based media, and considering the descriptions I'd assumed she'd had a full on teary eyed lapse from what I find to be her normally distant demeanor. But when I saw the video finally I was completely taken aback. Not by any emotional overload on Hillary's part, but the complete over reaction of the media. She wasn't teary eyed and her emotional and vulnerable response was only betrayed by a slight waver in tone and a crackling of her voice. The fact that anyone gave so much credence to this display, either as an indicator for positive or negative traits of the senator, when many U.S. Presidents have outright cried and sobbed or otherwise shown emotional displays before the whole nation astounds me. This is truly a case of an otherwise irrelevant aspect of a much larger national debate taking focus over the national discourse. Democracy suffers every time the personal involvement is held in higher regard than policy making.

January 10, 2008 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  17. FeministAgainstHillary

Hillary Clinton's tears set back the progress of women in power by 10 years. Just when pay equity for women was starting to materialize and women garnering more executive level positions than ever before, Clinton uses sympathy to earn a couple thousand votes at the expense of a feminist movement turning the tide against the good ol' boys network. She should be ashamed of herself.

January 10, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  18. Rob

Holy crap this is a worthless article! What is this just a Clinton bashing forum? Heaven forbid we elect someone with emotions and who actually cares about people and our country!

What do you want another tough guy, robot who can watch people die by the thousands, while his defense secretary laughs about our troops not having adiquate armor?

If a part of you isn't at home crying every night over the atrosities that have been committed in the last eight years or for that matter in our country's history entire, perhaps you should stop blacking out reality and doing something to help instead of belittling someone who pours her heart and soul into trying to make this country a better place.

I for one am glad to know Hillary is a human being and am honored to be able to support, with my vote, the first woman president of the United States.

January 10, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  19. Biggdawg

The best thing that could have happened was Bill O'Reilly scrapping with an Obama security guy. He's got a beef with Obama now.

Now even O'Reilly is pointing out the media's bias against Hillary in favor of Obama, and he's broadcast footage from NBC reporters testifying to their uncontroled bias in Obama's favor.

It includes Chris Matthews who's a piece of sh$#.

What a world! What a world!

January 10, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  20. LOUCAL

Do you morons really believe she is not human. Obama is nothing more than the smooth talker with little behind the eyes. He is a smooth talker of little substance. The only thing he will change in Washington is his shoes and his suit. Go Clinton. Our national debt was actually a surplus under Old Bill and we had national peace. Barack will show his tears when we have to nuke somebody of the Earth. HIllary will bomb them to hell.

January 10, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  21. John

It will be interesting to see if Clinton plans to cry in the face or world leaders, or even better, terrorists.

January 10, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  22. Michael St. James

Obama, electrifying. Hmmmm. I guess what she meant was more charismatic. But then again history has been replete with Charismatic speakers who have inflamed the masses in the name of change. Hitler, Mussolini, just to name a few. Yes the face of America has changed. I write this as I live in a gated community, complete with private armed security who resemble Gestapo agents. By the way this community is in the lush resorts area of the Pocono's. In the mountains, amidst fresh air, scenic beauty and oh yes the violent gangs that have fled the urban areas such as NYC and Chicago and set up shop in more remote areas. 6 out of 10 people here now have no grasp of the English language. This all happened during Mr. Bushs' tenure as President. Speaking of Idealistic rookies. Change, there has been plenty of change. Just look around you, open up your eyes and get your heads out of the sand. It's not absolute change we need but harmonious balance. Not one of Obamas platform issues represent change for America as a whole, they seem to echo the same old song and dance with a nice twist of semantics and spin that has been developed by his marketing, errrr election team. As far as Hillary is concerned, for months the press and CNN has depicted her as cold, unfeeling, unemotional. She shows a little emotion and the Media stands on it's head as countless pundits throw sticks and stones and try to vilify her action. Let her run her race, same as Obama, Edwards etc. In the end the real change needed is for the Babel of countless voices to be rechanneled in a proactive manner befitting this great nation of ours.

January 10, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  23. Democrats Rule, CA

"Jihadists, Al Qaeda, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Hamas, will NOT be taking advice from a western woman on ANY SUBJECT."

I cannot believe anyone would use such rationale to elect a president. In case you forgot, this is a presidential election for the AMERICANS. We make up our minds about who we think is the best candidate for such leadership role. To vote for a candidate because he/she will please the above-mentioned groups is a dangerous and senseless act. Vote for Obama if you think he is the best candidate not because he has a Muslim name. Some of the Obama supporters have really confounded me. How can such comment help Obama?

January 10, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  24. Lori

J,( who was afraid to use at least his first name) since you like to do alot of reading, Why don't you read the Jefferson Bible, and tell me why Thomas Jefferson left out the deity of Jesus Christ, his birth, death and RESURRECTION!!.
    Did that prevent him from being a good president? Does that change your perception of him? Know your history, before you try to tell me about mines or Barak Obama's.

Is J and John Doe Related?

January 10, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  25. cellularcoffee

Look: http://www.dailyjolt.com/presidential-pages/images/obama/with-mother.jpg; Obama's mom is white, so stop telling me that he is our african-american candidate.
    This Obama knows about being black and under privilege as Tiger Wood.

January 10, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |