January 9th, 2008

Voter who made Clinton teary picked Obama

The CNN Ticker

Marianne Pernold Young looks on Monday after asking a question that led Hillary Clinton to tears.

(CNN) – Many political observers are crediting Democrat Hillary Clinton's surprise win in New Hampshire to the New York senator's rare display of emotion at a Portsmouth Coffee shop Monday morning.

But Clinton's tearful moment failed to win at least one Granite State voter - the very woman who prompted her response in the first place.

Marianne Pernold-Young told CNN Wednesday she ultimately picked Barack Obama in Tuesday night's primary because of the Illinois senator's performance at a recent rally she attended.

"I was moved to tears. Not once, but twice," she said. "And he has this enormous electricity. And I was just taken aback. And I just had to go with my feelings." (Video: Young speaks on American Morning)

On Monday, Young asked Clinton how she was holding up under the rigors of a presidential campaign - an inquiry that cause the presidential candidate's eyes to well up and voice to tremble.

"It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do," a teary Clinton said. "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards." (Video: Clinton gets emotional)

The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters. The next day, Clinton won among voters who said a candidate who "cares about people" is most important (a category John Edwards won in Iowa.)

Young told CNN she herself was touched by the event, though it was not enough to convince her to support Clinton.

"I was very touched and I was totally in awe that she would open up to us, all of us there," Young said. "But it was a delicate matter."

On CNN's American Morning, Clinton wouldn't speculate whether the moment had put her over the top in the Granite State the night before, but said, "I'm really glad that I had a chance to say what I believe with all of my heart, that politics isn't a game, it's not a horse race. It's about people's lives." (Video: Hillary Clinton on American Morning)

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. kevin

Obama should have become a trial lawyer. What’s so bad about them? They keep the average American safe from irresponsible people and corporations.

Check out http://www.HelpMeSue.com and check out what kind of stuff people have to put up with on a daily basis. You’ll be appalled at some of the cases. Appreciate your trial lawyers. Without them, we Americans would have lost many of our rights years ago.

January 10, 2008 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  2. Patsy

Ok everyone, computers do have spell checks. Use them. It's hard reading with the grammar and spelling errors. Also just wanted to say, if Ms. Young received so much attention by making Hill cry, well, maybe she should run for Pres.

January 10, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  3. Anonymous

I am also a woman and believe that Hillary is quite capable and impassioned herself about bringing change. It's true, Bill is a huge asset to her campaign and even her accomplishments, but that is no reason to say that we need a woman who can "make it on her own." I happen to think she is a very capable leader and that holding a bias towards her for being a Clinton or for having been First Lady is just as bad as any other bias. I also wouldn't mind at all to see Bill Clinton back in the White House with her. I believe in them both individually and as a team.

Of course it is wrong to vote for Clinton on the basis of her emotion in one instant, or because of sympathy for her. But its just as ignorant to say that you would vote for Condoleezza Rice because she is a woman! She may have "made it on her own" in politics, if you say so, but ALL MEN AND ALL WOMEN in office have depended on the support of powerful MEN to get there, and though there are powerful women as well, Congress is 16% female and 84% male.

Condoleezza Rice has sold her soul to the Bush administration. If you would vote for her just for being such an "indendepent woman", why don't you stop to consider who she would be without Bush Sr. or Bush Jr.? She may not be married to them, but she has remained loyal to them for one reason: POWER. That is the goal of every politician, what we have to decipher is who will use it for the betterment of the American people AS A WHOLE. Clinton may seem calculated, but what politician doesn't? As a woman and brazen liberal, she has had to fight harder to be respected.

January 10, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  4. cameron

i dont even believe THIS story!!
    after hillary's campaign has previously been cayght planting questionsers earlier with set questions....
    now they can say...we had nothing to do with it...
    totally staged...
    hillary should get a grammy or something!! whatever...
    an for all the females who vote for her...simply because she is female.....
    is sexist and... well, sad for us all

January 10, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  5. Sam IA

You Faux watchers need to stick to your own propogandist media and let the adults discuss real issues. GO Hillary!!!!!

January 10, 2008 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  6. CA

After reading all these posts. I think I found the new criteria for my voting decision.

"Who makes me feel good?" LOL

Heck, isn't that what got us Bush???

Never underestimate the stupidity of Americans. My mom thinks everyone is smart – she was always a home maker. I try not to destroy her illusion.

I happen to work in the world and travel and if I've learned anything its that people are always dumber than you think and no one will ever turn down a handout (tax cut or otherwise). No matter how much it hurts later. What a bunch of suckers we are for instant gratification. I feel guilty about the glass ceiling so I'll vote for Hill; I feel guilty about slavery so I'll vote for Obama. Grow a brain. Save a polar bear. And have a beer with the picture of your choice for president.

"A person is smart" "People are dumb panicky animals" – Tommy Lee Jones in Men in Black.

Are you a person or part of the mob of people? Don't be a herd animal. Think for your self! Do some research! If you don't our fore fathers are going to wish they had not only instituted the ellectorial college but also made everyone be land owners and literate critical thinkers.

Speaking of ellectorial college – how many of you posters actually know what that is? You probably think we live in a direct democracy!

January 10, 2008 03:07 am at 3:07 am |
  7. Todd, Kenosha, WI

The tears I can overcome. The fear card, never. I used to support Hillary. Now I see her as just another Republican after playing the fear card. Shame on her. I can not bring myself to vote for her now. I pray she does not win because I just may not vote in the next election if she does make it. I have always voted straight Democrat. Thanks Hillary for showing your true colors. Go Barack, change the country, change the world!!!!

January 10, 2008 03:13 am at 3:13 am |
  8. cd

Hello bunch of obama whiners!

I initially and perhaps eventually vote for this guy. I even convince my Asian friends (who usually vote for Rep.) to vote for him b/c of what he, his multi-ethnic represents. I thought that having such family, he surely has a different perspective about the world, the people who are different, a fresher perspective a white-man born and raised in America all his life will NEVER even understand. But I support him based on my INTUITION that perhaps he is someone we need. As for his experience, the guy knows jack.

However, I don't see anything wrong with Hillary shedding her tears. What's wrong with you people. First, she was booed for her robot, rational, cold manner, and now booed for her showing her emotion???

Yah, she might fake it, but are we sure? Give someone a benefit of the doubt will you?
    People tend to associate women with a cheesy bag of emotion. I know a guy who didn't vote for Royal (in recent France's presidential election) not because he prefer Nicolas Sarkozy's personality and politics. It was because "I will never vote for women because they are emotional."

Yah, I think Hilary is more rational and less emotional then many men combined.

So, for her tears, fake or genuine. Give it a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

January 10, 2008 03:18 am at 3:18 am |
  9. Kodzo , Ontario

It is hard to find out that voters in New Hampshire and the media (especially CNN) sucked Clinton's so-called display of emotion. To me that is no different than a crocodile's tears.

January 10, 2008 03:19 am at 3:19 am |
  10. Greg

Be careful Hillary- not too much emotion. Remember what happened to Edmund Muskie!

January 10, 2008 03:19 am at 3:19 am |
  11. Eddie

There are some of us African Americans who don't fall for Hillary's act nor are we impressed with Mr obama. The Presidency isn't the place for OJT (on the job training). I do not belive we should be supporting people into the white house just to make a politcal statement on equality in the hopes that their lack of experience wil be made up for by checking off the – we got a minority in the white house box. I also don't want Bill, the fondler, Cllinton excercises his sexual deviancy with our supreme leader. I do, however, have a woman presidential candidate in mind who also happens to be of color, is highly intelligent, savvy internationally, and with morals that would put Hillary to shame – my candidate for 1st woman president is Condoleeza Rice. Her, I will follow. As for this crying episode. Thats just what we need to deal with terrorists – a few more tears i'm sure will make Osama Bin Laden lay down his weapons. How sophmoric can the woman be.

January 10, 2008 03:21 am at 3:21 am |
  12. Chase

I wonder if all the female voters that turned out fo Hillary see the candidate or the breasts? Would they vote for this person becauseof her stand if she was a he? I do belive tht a female will be pres one day, but dear God, not this ne. Wake up and close your eyes.

January 10, 2008 03:21 am at 3:21 am |
  13. Stephanie, IL

Can someone give me a link where it says Barack (Barry) Obama is Muslim? I haven't found anything confirming that. I do know he went to Punahou School in Hawaii when I lived there. He played basketball and lived like any other American kid. I don't understand why his religion is so important. His family were not religious people. He is listed as Church of Christ in most websites. I wish people would get their facts straight before writing on these blogs. Maybe THEY are Muslims.

January 10, 2008 03:27 am at 3:27 am |
  14. Chase

I wonder if all the female voters that turned out for Hillary see the candidate or the breasts? Would they vote for this person because of her stand if she was a he? I do believe that a female will be pres one day, but dear God, not this one. Wake up and close your eyes.

January 10, 2008 03:27 am at 3:27 am |
  15. Kwan, Canandaigua

All I could see from the T. V. screen was that Hillary could be as emotional and as human as all of us are.
    However I want the next President of the United States of America to be far more
    than that.
    The President should not be teary and should not cry at suggestions from a voter or from any citizen.
    If there are national or international crises during the presidency, would the President break down to teary appeal to her counterparts or even opponents?
    I want our President to be a very, very strong person who can control and manage
    any situations in the world and lead us to the right direction in a firm attitude.

January 10, 2008 03:33 am at 3:33 am |
  16. Kevin

You all need to read what John Edwards said about Hillary getting emotional and misty-eyed. You can tell he wanted to make a comment about having a crying woman as president, but he was smooth about it. If Obama takes the nomination, I hope he picks Edwards as his running mate.

January 10, 2008 03:35 am at 3:35 am |
  17. rusty

It would not surprise me at all if several years down the road we find out that something fishy happened in New Hampshire, and that the Clinton's were involved in it. Ghost votes, tampered machines...something. But we can still hope that, in the long run, it all becomes moot when Hillary gets beat. Hopefully, the voters and the media will wise up to the fact that the majority of the attacks in the future will be coming from Hillary. When her opponents fight back, she should not be allowed to play the poor me card. Level the playing surface, please.

January 10, 2008 03:35 am at 3:35 am |
  18. Kay, Las Vegas, NV

Enny:

Your argument is moot...Obama is half white and has admitted himself to having little to no contact with his African father. How does that remotely make him
    African American? Why do we not hear anything of his mother's family? She's the one who raised him! That's just not as tantalizing, is it? Who's racism is showing?

January 10, 2008 03:37 am at 3:37 am |
  19. B E

I really don't see why so many of you are so pro-Obama. He has a weak platform, and his popularity is based on his ability to deliver a great speech. Hillary has more political and law experience, has a solid platform with a future planned, has been in Washington and knows how the system works, and is an amazing candidate that shouldn't be overlooked. If Hillary gets the nomination in the summer she has my vote on election day. I'll vote Republican for the first time ever if Obama gets the nom.

January 10, 2008 03:41 am at 3:41 am |
  20. Vaughn

I would like to see Hillary shed a tear for the thousands of American lives lost needlessly in Iraq. She has never apologized, in spite of the overwhelming evidence that there was no threat of WMD's. She was wrong then and she has been wrong about almost everything since, except the gullibility of female voters in NH. Billary is in the past. Let's move forward, without the WTO, APEC, and NAFTA. Let's put America first for a change. Since she has soooo much experience, why couldn't she get health care reform out of the box, even among her own party members? Fool me once...

January 10, 2008 03:41 am at 3:41 am |
  21. Skip

I've voted for Democrats in every election since I was 18, but if McCain wins the Republican primaries then I am voting for him. I cannot bring myself to vote for either one of the Democrat poseurs. I also believe I may have lots of company on election day.

January 10, 2008 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  22. Robert

Why does everyone keep talking about "tears." There were none! Hillary got a little choked up, and her voice cracked, but she didn't cry. I mean, come on. We all know what crying looks like – and that wasn't it. I'm sure that the "emotional moment" did have something to do with her comeback. It was a moment of genuine heartfelt humility. It was an honest answer to an honest question. That is what people want from their elected leaders. Ergo, voters responded well to Hillary.

January 10, 2008 03:47 am at 3:47 am |
  23. drtempleton

UNDECIDED! Yet, I am glad (Maryann____) triggered a response that I feel makes it somewhat impossible for 'we' as women to lead this country.

When I heard her voice crack and saw the tears well in her eyes, I totally appalled, I couldn't believe she (Hillary) allowed herself to 'resort' to such tactics. Sympathy is NOT what this country needs at the moment. I don't stand by Obama as of yet, but in discussion would like to see an Obama/Edwards Ticket. Well, just have to see.

However, IF the intentions of the Clinton campaign is to have another 8 yrs of Clinton, Obama has stated there is room at the table or in the White House for the former president.

However, Hillary please invest in a box of Puffs, and go home and bake cookies like Barbara Bush. Tears don't belong in the White House, we (woman) can show our tender side many ways without a tear.

January 10, 2008 04:00 am at 4:00 am |
  24. Andy, New York, New York

Hillary may be feeling lucky she pulled off New Hampshire, after what being slammed in Iowa, but if after 35 years of experience, name recognition and a perception of invincibality and inevitability, she managed to beat an inexperienced black man almost 15 years her junior 39% to 36% ought to register in her mind that she can't go on like this on the national race. She has to go forward knowing and being reminded that she is not as like as she thinks.

When Americans can be swayed by a show of weakend emotions in a race to pick a strong and decisive leader for the worlds' greatest country, then Americans deserve what they get because they are one with their choice of emotionally weakened leader.

Obama will not win the presidency, but he sure has brought unexpected life to a campaign that could have been cold, dry and flat as Hillary's personality.

I'm Black, Republican and New Yorker and I am looking for a Giuliani-McCain ticket.

January 10, 2008 04:07 am at 4:07 am |
  25. Ryan

If Sen Clinton is to be elected president I feel for by fellow brothers in arms when she is to become commander and chief because that is where the difficult decisions are made. What happens when she is tired and stress out over soilders wounded or dying in batttle with the terrorists? Is she going to just cry or is she going to stand up and act like a leader. You think we are having a hard enough time getting through to the simple minded terrorists now what happens when they see that the Key Stone to our nation is weak??

She preaches about change and how with her back ground in the White House that she has the experience. Experince in what walking around on your husbands coat tails waving at people. Change is a new face and new ideas. As first lady she had her chance to take her husbands ear and give him some good advice being that she was his clossest confidant, and so it would go to show you that well she must not have done such a good job since former President Cliton screwed alot of things up that had to be fixed or is being fixed.

Vote for whom you wish but take all that into consideration prior to picking the framiliar old flavor that just sounds good and confortable. Step outside the box.

January 10, 2008 04:14 am at 4:14 am |